News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

Quote from: Steph2.0 on July 30, 2018, 01:41:46 PM
Well, Faith Auto-Post, please tell Faith that I listen as well as she does! So there!

A quick peak at both your threads and neither of you listen particularly well!!! LOL @faith seems to have had this similar conversation for being to hard on herself.  ;) But you are no angel in this department either Steph!!

Congrats on the opportunity to have a look at facial team. I did hear they were doing some kind of consulting here in Australia awhile ago but its way out of my league. The results I have seen from them are very good. I understand how you feel when you said "I'll do whatever's possible to be the best I'm able to be, to decrease the odds of mistakes." I feel very much the same way. Good luck with the consult I hope it goes well.

How about both you ladies be a little kinder to yourselves you both deserve it.  :D

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 31, 2018, 05:41:28 PM
A quick peak at both your threads and neither of you listen particularly well!!! LOL @faith seems to have had this similar conversation for being to hard on herself.  ;) But you are no angel in this department either Steph!!

Readily admitted, Liz. My lack of self-esteem and self-confidence are always close to the surface. I'm still far too easy to bruise. It's actually on the agenda to talk to my therapist about on Friday.

QuoteCongrats on the opportunity to have a look at facial team. I did hear they were doing some kind of consulting here in Australia awhile ago but its way out of my league. The results I have seen from them are very good. I understand how you feel when you said "I'll do whatever's possible to be the best I'm able to be, to decrease the odds of mistakes." I feel very much the same way. Good luck with the consult I hope it goes well.

You're correct that it's quite expensive,  but relative to the quote I was given here, I expect it to be a bargain. And @Kendra crystallized my thinking when she compared the cost to a new car, with benefits that far outweigh a vehicle.

QuoteHow about both you ladies be a little kinder to yourselves you both deserve it.  :D

Liz, you are the calm voice of reason cutting through the negativity in my head. I always intend to treat myself better, but I still let outside forces have an outsized effect on my self-image.

For instance, yesterday was my first time out in the real world after my misgendering incident on Sunday. I was bra shopping, which is no longer anything new for me, but in this case I was feeling paranoid. It seemed like the lady working the department asked every other lady there if they needed help, but not me (just as well, I guess, since I was looking for itty bitty 36a bras). And in my weird state, it felt like every time I moved into an aisle, whoever was already there left. Even in the parking lot it felt like people were staring at me. It got quite unnerving - though it didn't stop me from fulfilling my mission, which I am somewhat proud of. So it was with that fraught attitude that I got in line with my new bra to check out. And the young man with his family I got in line behind looked up and said, "Oh, you can go ahead of us, ma'am. We have all this stuff and you only have that."

And just like that, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping. That's how easily I can be swayed by other's perception of me. I think I'll tell my therapist that story...

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Faith

Quote... "Oh, you can go ahead of us, ma'am. We have all this stuff and you only have that." ...

I'm glad that you have those moments. I am still waiting for my moments :(
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on August 01, 2018, 10:32:43 AM
I'm glad that you have those moments. I am still waiting for my moments :(

Girlfriend, we both not only have self-esteem issues, we also have terrible memories. Go back and read some of your previous entries. You've had 'em already, and there are many more to come. Reading some of my older stuff helped pull me out of my funk the other day.

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Faith

QuoteYou've had 'em already

Only when accompanied by Lori, never alone, so it's only by association.

But, enough about me, this is your thread, not my whining zone.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on August 01, 2018, 10:50:33 AM
Only when accompanied by Lori, never alone, so it's only by association.

But, enough about me, this is your thread, not my whining zone.

Oh pshaw! I whine enough in your thread. Turnabout is fair play!

•  

davina61

Can I whinge on your thread???? Done enough on my own the last 2 days!!!
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: davina61 on August 01, 2018, 03:50:22 PM
Can I whinge on your thread???? Done enough on my own the last 2 days!!!

Welcome to Stephanie's whine and jeez party, where even Davina can become un(w)hinged!

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on August 01, 2018, 09:50:32 AMAnd the young man with his family I got in line behind looked up and said, "Oh, you can go ahead of us, ma'am. We have all this stuff and you only have that."
Like I said to Jayne, you've got to love being ma'am-ed. 

We probably depend more on external validation than is healthy for us, but it sure feels good when we get it.  I still get a kick out of being called "ladies" when I am out with my wife.  It doesn't get old.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Steph2.0 on August 01, 2018, 09:50:32 AM
And just like that, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping. That's how easily I can be swayed by other's perception of me. I think I'll tell my therapist that story...

Stephanie

This is exactly what you need, some normal social interaction that shows you where you now fit in to this world. I wonder if most cis people have any idea how simply validating using corrrect pronouns is. How much simple joy they can give a human being by just bestowing the correct pronouns, something I might add we all readily give to inanimate objects.  It is great to see you getting your confidence back after the knock you took.

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

steph2.0

Despite that whining noise you continually hear from Florida, all is not doom and gloom here.

The Walmart Pharmacy
I've been fighting with Walmart pharmacy for months to get my name changed in their database. If you use their pharmacy through a web browser, be prepared for a battle to get it to display your correct name on the headers of all the pages, even if the name is correct on your prescriptions. Well, Monday they finally got it fixed! When I log in I no longer see "his" name there any more. What a relief!

Neighborhood Dynamics
I think I've mentioned before about my problematic neighbor, who, while accepting and supportive, doesn't seem to be putting much effort into using the correct pronouns. Liz's profound statement about the value of someone using the correct pronouns has the flip side of the amount of damage they inflict by continually using the incorrect ones. I had been starting to avoid visiting with him just because I didn't want to hear "he" or "him" again, despite the wise advice of @SassyCassie , who advised me that the only way to fix the problem was to spend more time with him. Well, Tuesday I was out walking Maggie the Wunderhund, and he was working in his shop. So I took a deep breath and walked in. We talked about his project for a while, then I headed for the door, telling the Magster come on, it's time to go. My neighbor looked at her and said, "You'd better go with her. She's ready to go!"

Shock and awe! I considered thanking him, but since one of the theories Cassie and I have discussed is that he's a little embarrassed by the whole thing, I didn't want to bring it up and make things awkward. I just smiled and headed home, with a little "squeee" bouncing around my skull.

Halfway down the street, a neighbor who I'd worried about because of her deeply religious convictions shouted over, "Steph! Can we talk about your internet service?" We've been having service problems (I wrote about this a short time ago) and while mine is back up, she's still fighting with hers. As the pet geek in the neighborhood I often get consulted about such things. I was just unsure how this particular neighbor would interact with me until now. And once again, it was fine.

Self-confidence and The Voice
Up until now whenever I needed my hair done, I've gone with Cassie to the salon she's been using. I've been leaning on her for strength in such situations, but our schedules aren't lining up too well lately, and her salon is an hour and a half away - and yeah, I have been growing a slight amount of self-confidence lately, so as I did when I started getting my nails done locally, I went on the hunt for a hair salon closer to home. I have two friends here in the neighborhood who are not just accepting and supportive, but outright encouraging. So I texted them both, asking if they could recommend someone close by. Well, actually, the way I phrased the question was, "Hi ladies! Can either of you recommend a good local hair salon that wouldn't mind taking me?" I got a suggestion from each of them, and I wrote back about one of them, "Thanks! I may check it out. Hopefully she wouldn't have a problem with me." Oh, that was the wrong thing to say. One of my friends jumped on me about that: "Steph, it's time to quit segregating yourself. No one sees you as different, only you. You have to start convincing yourself you are just like anyone else."

That was serious food for thought. I thanked her and admitted to being my own worst enemy, but I'm getting better. Heck, I've been getting my nails done in the nail place in Walmart for a couple of months now. So now the thought was should I out myself to them before I make an appointment? I'd done that when I set up with a new electrocutioner, but that's a little different, since there's no way to avoid the fact that this somewhat feminine looking person is getting a beard removed. So I decided, no, I'm not going to tell the salon. The next reason for anxiety: my phone voice. I've been practicing, but it still sounds unconvincing to me. Any calls I've made lately have been to places that see records when I call that state I'm female, so the name and pronouns haven't been a problem. Not in this case, with a cold call. So I got cold feet and went looking for a way to set up an appointment online. And I found one. I started through the process of checking their calendar, then paused. With what my neighbor had said to me, along with the advice from Cassie to do it now, echoing in my head, I thought, "No, I need to make that call!" I closed the web site and grabbed my phone. And it was fine. I even got ma'amed toward the end of the call (of course, she'd gotten my name by then). But I'm thinking maybe the voice is started to be a little believable. It still takes a lot of effort, but maybe it's getting better. I have an appointment for next Wednesday for cut, color, highlights, and style. And I felt great when I hung up.

A surprise, and the need to be your complete self 24/7.
This evening I was once again walking Margaret, and I stopped at another neighbor's home. I sat in their living room just talking about neighborly things, and using a relaxed semblance of my phone voice. I figured it was safe to let my guard down a little, since we know each other so well, but I also wanted them to get used to the idea that there were other things besides my outward appearance that were changing.

Well, it's a good thing I was trying a little bit. I didn't know they had a house guest. Their friend came out of the back room while we were sitting there. The cool thing is my neighbor introduced me correctly - and not just as Steph as many of them do, but as Stephanie, which I've come to prefer. I'm pretty sure I've met this guy before in a previous life, but there was no weirdness. We chatted a little more, and I made sure to take a little more care with the voice, and then it was time to go. Everything was fine, but considering that I think we've met before, I have to wonder what they talked about after I left. Doesn't really matter, I guess...

When I told Cassie about it, she used it as an illustration on why it's so important to use the voice, mannerisms, and overall presentation 100% of the time once you've gone full-time. You never know when you're going to be surprised. The biggest obstacle for me is getting over the embarrassment of using my voice in front of my wife. That's something I need to address, and I'm slowly getting there.

So there you have it. Something every day that started with anxiety and ended with validation and growth. I went back and read my post from just before my latest misgendering incident and realize how quickly and far a stupid thing like that set me back, but I'm starting to rebound. I think I'll be all right.

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie:
It was great to see your comprehensive and detailed update with all kinds of good news that you reported.
As you noted, things that seem to start out badly can end up being OK in the end.... keep on top of all of this stuff and be a positive thinker.

Thank you for posting as you continue on toward your goal....
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on August 02, 2018, 01:18:37 AM
@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie:
It was great to see your comprehensive and detailed update with all kinds of good news that you reported.
As you noted, things that seem to start out badly can end up being OK in the end.... keep on top of all of this stuff and be a positive thinker.

Thank you for posting as you continue on toward your goal....
Hugs,
Danielle

Thank you, Danielle. Your message jogged a memory of a quote I saw the other day that stuck in my head:

Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

I just realized most of my ramblings illustrate just that.

Stephanie

•  

Faith

Quotewhining noise you continually hear from Florida

HEY!! I resemble that remark.

STEPHANIE: I'm glad to read that not only are you conquering your fears but also kicking them to the curb as you realize that there's nothing to fear in the first place.

maybe someday in 10 years or so I'll be able to do the same .........

note: I prefer the short version of your name in casual context but, if you prefer the long version, then Stephanie it is. It's who you are after-all and you get to decide, not me.  :)

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on August 02, 2018, 06:21:30 AM
note: I prefer the short version of your name in casual context but, if you prefer the long version, then Stephanie it is. It's who you are after-all and you get to decide, not me.  :)

I'm certainly not militant about it, and I don't mind being called almost anything as long as it isn't "his" name or "late to dinner." It's just that I initially used "Steph" as a transitional name (Stephen -> Stephanie) while I was in androgynous mode, and now it brings back some of those memories. I'm also pushing the use of "Stephanie" among the people who knew me before, because I'm not sure that "Steph" adequately gets the idea across that the pronouns should also change. Sometimes I regret not picking a completely different name to make it clear.

In any case, I don't worry about all my friends here. Use what you're comfortable with.

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

I inadvertently hurt a friend yesterday, and I want to publicly apologize to @Faith  for being thoughtless. I'm sorry, and I'll be more careful in the future.

I want to make sure everyone knows that I would never do anything intentional to hurt any of you. If I do make a mistake, just tell me. I promise I won't take offense and will do my best to fix it.

In the words of my heroine @HappyMoni  :

"If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about."

Stephanie

•  

Faith

aww, Stephanie, now you gone and made me get all teared up and mushy. There was no need to apologize, no way for you to know just how bad it is for me. The fault is this stupid brain of mine, I think it's defective. Do you know of a good brain store? The warranty on mine is expired.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on August 03, 2018, 08:37:09 AMDo you know of a good brain store? The warranty on mine is expired.

Sorry, this is the best I can do:

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Steph2.0 on August 03, 2018, 08:28:29 AM
I inadvertently hurt a friend yesterday, and I want to publicly apologize to @Faith  for being thoughtless. I'm sorry, and I'll be more careful in the future.

I want to make sure everyone knows that I would never do anything intentional to hurt any of you. If I do make a mistake, just tell me. I promise I won't take offense and will do my best to fix it.

In the words of my heroine @HappyMoni  :

Stephanie

@Steph2.0    cc:  @Faith  @HappyMoni
Dear Stephanie: 
OK now, enough of making me tear up too.   
That was a very sweet and thoughtful message aimed at @Faith but it can certainly apply to all of us. 

I sometimes will make a comment that I think would be innocent or even cute and later discover that it might be cutting or insulting....  so I give you Kudos for "owning" what you said and trying to make amends such as you did.

I really do like the @HappyMoni  quote:
***I just may ask her if I have her permission to include in my "Positive Mindset... put away negativity" thread.

Thanks for posting... your thread is always a joy for me to follow.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Faith

Quote from: Steph2.0 on August 03, 2018, 09:18:34 AM
Sorry, this is the best I can do:

Stephanie

I can't quite make it out, the picture is too grainy.

•