Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Coming out to daughters next week

Started by Jessica_Rose, December 21, 2017, 11:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Steph, I just read through the quotes and the letter -- it is fantastic. I hope you don't mind if I borrow from it. Although I want to keep my announcement letter short so I can read it to my intended audience, I plan to give everyone a printed copy. I will add a few pages to include the information you used to explain gender dysphoria. I think the information will significantly help others understand more about our situation. Although I do occasionally read your updates, I had not seen this before. I cannot ever thank you enough.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on December 23, 2017, 09:34:22 PM
Steph, I just read through the quotes and the letter -- it is fantastic. I hope you don't mind if I borrow from it. Although I want to keep my announcement letter short so I can read it to my intended audience, I plan to give everyone a printed copy. I will add a few pages to include the information you used to explain gender dysphoria. I think the information will significantly help others understand more about our situation. Although I do occasionally read you updates, I had not seen this before. I cannot ever thank you enough.

Jessica, I'm glad you found something useful in it. Please use as much of it as you like. Hoping it could help someone else is the reason I posted it (well, a little bit of vanity, too. I like writing [emoji6]).

Best wishes,

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

LJH24

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 23, 2017, 08:31:06 PM
Very well done, Jessica. Your original, your revision, and the suggestions of everyone are all excellent. You are a very good writer.

I really have nothing to add other than to note that the wording on my coming out letter was very similar, especially here: "I have discussed this with a doctor and a therapist and they agree on the diagnosis -- I have gender dysphoria. In other words, I am transgender." Yup. Almost exactly what I'd written. Mine was addressed to the world at large, not family members, and posted on Facebook. If you care to read it, it's here: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,228563.msg2037025.html#msg2037025

Best of luck with your daughters, and hug your wife for us. She has earned it.

Stephanie

Stephanie,
I just read your coming out letter. It is beautiful and it made me cry because I can feel so much of your pain and heartache in it and it makes me (kind of) understand what my daughter is going through. I am planning to share it with her today.  She is seriously struggling right now and I am hoping some of this will help.

I am unable to see the videos that you included with the letter though. Is there anyway you could post the links to those for me?  Thank you so much.
  •  

Dena

Unfortunately I don't have a good solution to fixing some of the links like that however if you quote the post, you will be able to pick the link up directly and paste it into your browser so you can view it.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

LJH24

Quote from: Dena on December 24, 2017, 11:39:33 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a good solution to fixing some of the links like that however if you quote the post, you will be able to pick the link up directly and paste it into your browser so you can view it.

That worked! Thank you. :)
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: LJH24 on December 24, 2017, 11:21:10 AM

Stephanie,
I just read your coming out letter. It is beautiful and it made me cry because I can feel so much of your pain and heartache in it and it makes me (kind of) understand what my daughter is going through. I am planning to share it with her today.  She is seriously struggling right now and I am hoping some of this will help.

I am unable to see the videos that you included with the letter though. Is there anyway you could post the links to those for me?  Thank you so much.

Wow. I just reread it all, and I ended up crying again. I wrote all that?

I very much hope it helps your daughter. You sound like a wonderful Mom to be so concerned and helpful for her.

Well, I never was able to get them to show up correctly, but I see you used Dena's trick to grab them.

Please feel free to PM me if you need any other help, or your daughter would like to communicate with someone who's been there and is doing that...

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

HappyMoni

Jessica,
   I really like how you rewrote it. It is now very much focused on your concern for your loved ones. Way to go. I wish I were there to give you a hug before you go in to talk to them. I have fingers crossed for you.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Thanks Moni!

Originally I planned to tell my daughters about this Thursday evening, but today I found out one of them is going to visit her boyfriend on Wednesday and won't be back. She only gets to see him a few times each year, so I understand. The big day is now tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. 'Nervous and scared' does not begin to explain how I feel right now! I truly believe everything will be fine, but the pessimist in me is trying to make sure I am prepared in case it does not go as well as hoped.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

HappyMoni

The only thing you can control is how you present this. After that it is in other's hands. You have given this a lot of thought and what you write looks very good. You are showing love and concern for them. Hold your head up high, be real and share this with them. It is all you can do. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •