Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Sarah's New World

Started by sarah1972, January 25, 2018, 12:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne01

Quote from: sarah1972 on June 11, 2018, 10:45:58 AM
June 11th - Odds and Ends

Just a few random things today.

The weekend was great, met with an old co-worker who had a 6-hour layover in town and we took him on a sightseeing tour through Washington, DC. Besides that the usual toddler music class and then starting to plan out more of our trip to Germany beginning this Friday. Still so much to organize from cell phones, data plans to puzzle together a calendar to maximize who we can meet in only a few days. The weekends will be cornered by family get-togethers, first my wife and then my family. Both of which know about Sarah but have never met Sarah in person. I don't expect any issues. I was warned about one uncle who could either make a few stupid comments or could get handsy depending on his alcohol level. We will see, I am well trained in avoiding him anyways.

Speaking of odd encounters: So far I have been lucky that I never had any negative reactions. I knew this streak has to end at some point. And while I still got away pretty well, I did get a really disgusted look when I picked up food Saturday night at a local burger place. We usually order there at least once a month and they have been really great so far. This time it was all new staff and the guy at the register somehow clocked me and let me feel how disgusted he was. I really don't care much,  I was prepared for this to happen at some point.

Also, a comment my wife made totally made up for this: We talked to friends of ours on the phone trying to arrange a get-together in Berlin. We ended up deciding to meet at their place and they ended up saying I should be a bit careful in their neighborhood. My wife immediately chimed in: Unless someone knows me from the past, there is very little chance of me getting made, I do look so female.

Everything else is an up and down. Overall, the glass is 3/4 full right now. I may just take a smaller glass, then it is full.  ;D

Oh - I have not posted a gym picture in a while. Here you go... I realize I look pretty destroyed :D... Hey, this is life.

Stay classy internet!!

Hugs

Sarah
Hey there Sarah,

I'm glad you had a great weekend with a busy week ahead of your Germany trip. This is an improvement of your less than great week last week. You have a fantastic attitude towards any potentially negative experiences. You handled the cashier at the burger place with style, not letting his mini mind get to you. Whatever problems he may have with you are his problems and his problems alone. You also found a way to turn a 3/4 full glass into a full glass. Get a smaller glass, I never thought of that. Thinking outside the box.....excellent!

What a nice comment for your wife to make about you to your friends in Berlin. She sees you for who you are.

Good to see you are still keep my up with the gym. I haven't given you any gym reminder pokes lately, but you haven't needed any.

Hugs,
Jayne

PS: Danielle, you always beat me at replying to posts. I will have to start getting up earlier in the morning so I can get my 2 cents in before you. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
  •  

sarah1972

Aww... Thanks for your reply Danielle.

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on June 11, 2018, 11:10:41 AM

Dear Sarah:
Thank you for sharing your latest update. 
It is so nice to hear about how your wife supports and encourages you.... and for you to hear all the nice things that she says to you.   As you know, you are very fortunate in that regard....   acceptance of spouses of their transgender partners can the most difficult issues to deal with.  It is wonderful to hear the stories from you and others here that have a supporting spouse.  You are very fortunate indeed.
I am fully aware of how lucky I am. We still have a very long road ahead of us and to be fair: I do not know the destination yet. I hope we can work it out.

Hey, I like the "hot and sweaty" gym picture.... but what happened to that bright orange top that you had worn in previous gym pictures???    I notice these things.

Hahaha... I have two orange and the grey top. Just depends on which ones are clean and how I feel. This mornings choice was primarily dictated by "what is the first one I can grab, I am already late"

Keep on keeping on.   As as you are preparing for you Germany trip, be certain to pack all that you will need.  Women of course require a twice as big suitcase versus Men....  but you know that because you have already done traveling as a full-timer.  It is fun to think about of course.
Yeah, packing will be a challenge. I already got some odd looks when I declared I "take only a few shoes" and ended up with 6 pairs. I really hate handling luggage, so I decided we will travel light this time with smaller suitcases. I guess I have to make a few compromises to accommodate this. Five pairs of shoes should do it.  ;D ;D

Quote from: Jayne01 on June 11, 2018, 02:17:57 PM

Good to see you are still keep my up with the gym. I haven't given you any gym reminder pokes lately, but you haven't needed any.

Hugs,
Jayne

I did slack a bit between all the stress and being sick. I still went twice a week, but my steps did not all add up. In parts also because I forgot to take my watch to New York last week. Berlin will be good, the big city allows for a lot of walking.

I hope I can get at least two gym visits this week. Maybe three.

•  

Northern Star Girl

snipped:
Quote from: sarah1972 on June 11, 2018, 02:46:55 PM
Aww... Thanks for your reply Danielle.
- - - - - - -
Yeah, packing will be a challenge. I already got some odd looks when I declared I "take only a few shoes" and ended up with 6 pairs. I really hate handling luggage, so I decided we will travel light this time with smaller suitcases. I guess I have to make a few compromises to accommodate this. Five pairs of shoes should do it.  ;D ;D

Sarah:
  Well, when traveling you can always find a store and buy what you forgot to pack....  I have had to do that at times... shoes, tops, socks, hair accessories, makeup, personal hygiene items like toothpaste, deorderant, perfume, etc.

Don't leave home without your credit card!!!
Now, is you wife is the same size that you are, you could share???
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

sarah1972

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on June 11, 2018, 02:55:46 PM
Sarah:  Well, when traveling you can always find a store and buy what you forgot to pack....  I have had to do that at times... shoes, tops, socks, hair accessories, makeup, personal hygiene items like toothpaste, deorderant, perfume, etc.

Don't leave home without your credit card!!!
Now, is you wife is the same size that you are, you could share???
Danielle

Ha - we have something else in common. It would not be the first time I have to buy something while traveling, in fact, it happens fairly frequently. I still remember early on in my transition going into the hotel store to buy a female deodorant and the clerk explained that she thinks they are so much better than any male version. I did not tell her anything, just smiled and agreed with her. Little did she know. And yes, as long as I have a credit card, I will be fine.

I am really not too worried this time and since it is summer, we do not need any warm and heavy clothes. It is also not a business trip where I need to wear something different every day. We can do laundry in between.

My wife and I are the same height, but I am a few clothing sizes smaller. Ther is also another aspect: I do not want to invade her wardrobe. She needs to have her own, I have my own. This has been an issue before and I do understand why. 

Hugs,

Sarah

•  

Jayne01

Hi Sarah,

Loving your new avatar!!

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

sarah1972

•  

Jayne01

Wow! Look at you! You look fantastic!
  •  

sarah1972

•  

Kendra

Wow!  You look absolutely beautifiul. 

Did they design that floor to match your dress? 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Jayne01

I love your dress! You even had time to change your hair between photos.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: sarah1972 on June 23, 2018, 01:22:09 PM

Dear Sarah:   My oh my.......  beautiful woman in a beautiful dress?   
Did you get that new dress as a gift? ...
... or did your use your credit card as we discussed in our recent comment exchange !!!!!   
Very pretty, both the dress and the beautiful model ....  :-*
Hugs and hugs,
Danielle

•  

Laurie

Very nice pictures Sarah, You are looking GOOD! it that lovely dress. Love it!

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

sarah1972

Thanks @Laurie, @Jayne01 and @Kendra for your sweet comments.

Thanks @Alaskan Danielle for your sweet remarks. Admittedly I had the dress for a while, just needed an occasion to wear it. Ordered from my favorite online store. My parents golden wedding anniversary was the perfect backdrop to get dressed all fancy.

I have learned a few "tricks of the trade" to help with the looks. Now I need to find the next occasion to wear this dress (or one of the other fancy ones I have).

Guess even this soccer mom cleans up nicely [emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks again for your comments!

Hugs,

Sarah

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on June 23, 2018, 02:55:58 PM
Dear Sarah:   My oh my.......  beautiful woman in a beautiful dress?   
Did you get that new dress as a gift? ...
... or did your use your credit card as we discussed in our recent comment exchange !!!!!   
Very pretty, both the dress and the beautiful model ....  :-*
Hugs and hugs,
Danielle

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: sarah1972 on June 24, 2018, 09:44:12 AM
Thanks @Laurie, @Jayne01 and @Kendra for your sweet comments.

Thanks @Alaskan Danielle for your sweet remarks. Admittedly I had the dress for a while, just needed an occasion to wear it. Ordered from my favorite online store. My parents golden wedding anniversary was the perfect backdrop to get dressed all fancy.

I have learned a few "tricks of the trade" to help with the looks. Now I need to find the next occasion to wear this dress (or one of the other fancy ones I have).

Guess even this soccer mom cleans up nicely [emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks again for your comments!

Hugs,

Sarah

@sarah1972
Dear Sarah:  Yes indeed, soccer mom does clean up nicely ::) ;)....  the "tricks of the trade" have done you well.
Oh yeah, the fancy dresses are indeed fun to wear and they really give the feminine touch to our looks, however I have trouble finding appropriate events to be able to wear a few of my fancier dresses.   Perhaps if I lived is a large city there would be more opportunities. 
Most people that "dress up" here consider jeans and a sweatshirt appropriate.   I was able to get all dressed up for my date with shy guy suitor #3 recently.  We went to the nicest restaurant in town.... and I was the only one there wearing a dress and heels, I felt as if all eyes were on me.

Anyway, Sarah, thanks for sharing your pictures with us... 
Hugs,
Daniell
e

•  

sarah1972

June 25 - Airports

Going through airport security in Frankfurt today was a bit interesting... my kiddo had called me daddy, so they asked which gender applies. After a bit of consideration I suggested to set the scanner to "male" since I had not tucked due to the long flight. Of course the machine complained about my breasts and I got some added pad down. Even tough It felt like betrayal to myself, I much prefer an upper body pad down to someone touching my junk...

Anyways. Besides that no further problems...

Back home from vacation with a longer report to follow in the next few days...

Hugs,

Sarah

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: sarah1972 on June 25, 2018, 10:11:39 PM
June 25 - Airports

Going through airport security in Frankfurt today was a bit interesting... my kiddo had called me daddy, so they asked which gender applies. After a bit of consideration I suggested to set the scanner to "male" since I had not tucked due to the long flight. Of course the machine complained about my breasts and I got some added pad down. Even tough It felt like betrayal to myself, I much prefer an upper body pad down to someone touching my junk...

Hugs,

Sarah

Hello Sarah... wow, vacations always seem to end way too quickly.... or were you ready to get going back home??  I  trust that you had a wonderful time being involved in all of the family events...  were you in "Sarah-mode" the entire time of your Germany visit?   I hope that acceptance and affirmation were the words that describe your time there.

Oh yeah, airports are fun... the scanners see a lot more clear detail than most people know about.  I remember when I first went full time and had to go through TSA .... more stressful than my first date as Danielle...  !!!! >:(

Yes, I will be looking for your longer update... as I am certain that all of your followers will be as well.
Travel safe and welcome home soon.
Hugs, and well wishes,
Danielle :)

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: sarah1972 on June 25, 2018, 10:11:39 PM
June 25 - Airports

Hugs,

Sarah
Welcomes me back Sarah. Looking forward to the report of your holiday.

I'm sorry.....I had to laugh a bit at the airport scanner dilemma. I was thinking of some of the security staff at the airport where we work and imagining their brain going into meltdown as they try to process how to deal with such a situation in the most "politically correct" manner. Don't think of it as a betrayal to yourself. You chose the option that would give you the least discomfort. I would rather have my breasts patted down than my junk too.

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

sarah1972

I have to admit the security screener was very professional about it. She asked me to step into the scanner, then stepped in herself and asked very quietly. No one around did take any notice. Even the pad down happened very professionally. Overall, I am grateful and happy with how I was treated. And of course, she had to ask seeing a woman stepping into the scanner who had been called "Daddy" just a few seconds earlier. In the end, this just allowed things to move forward much faster. The person seemed to have had at least some sensitivity training and adhered to it. I think she felt more awkward than I did.

I do count it as a good experience.

I also have to be fair that this will most likely happen a few more times being pre-op, especially on airports outside of the US where I cannot claim TSA-Pre or Clear to get through everything. I did like that Frankfurt had two dedicated "family" lines, given all the stuff you have to take when boarding a plane with a two-year-old,

Quote from: Jayne01 on June 25, 2018, 10:20:09 PM
Welcomes me back Sarah. Looking forward to the report of your holiday.

I'm sorry.....I had to laugh a bit at the airport scanner dilemma. I was thinking of some of the security staff at the airport where we work and imagining their brain going into meltdown as they try to process how to deal with such a situation in the most "politically correct" manner. Don't think of it as a betrayal to yourself. You chose the option that would give you the least discomfort. I would rather have my breasts patted down than my junk too.

Hugs,
Jayne

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on June 25, 2018, 10:19:37 PM

Hello Sarah... wow, vacations always seem to end way too quickly.... or were you ready to get going back home??  I  trust that you had a wonderful time being involved in all of the family events...  were you in "Sarah-mode" the entire time of your Germany visit?   I hope that acceptance and affirmation were the words that describe your time there.

Oh yeah, airports are fun... the scanners see a lot more clear detail than most people know about.  I remember when I first went full time and had to go through TSA .... more stressful than my first date as Danielle...  !!!! >:(

Yes, I will be looking for your longer update... as I am certain that all of your followers will be as well.
Travel safe and welcome home soon.
Hugs, and well wishes,
Danielle :)

@Alaskan Danielle - Very glad to be back. Yes, vacations tend to end very quickly and abruptly. I am Sarah and had no reason to hide it the entire time, I did not even bring a "backup" piece of male clothes, stuck to the ladies room and was accepted very well. Just tried to blend in nicely. I have to admit I had one set of female clothes which could have gone both ways (shorts and a few tops) but even then, we broke the news pretty quickly.
Well, I did use the men's room once, just out of convenience to avoid a long line, wearing a short and a sweater. OMG, this felt so awkward, not only for me but also to many of the other men. Guess next time I just have to play the game and stand in line

I agree, the first few times flying as Sarah where a bit nerve wrecking. Since I travel so much, I got used to it quickly. I still wonder every time if there will be any questions. This being the first time and the positive experience I had certainly help calm my nerves.

The plane was two hours delayed but then everything went fine. Kiddo owned the entire plane. Managed to read the first half of Alaska Nights.

Glad once more for having Global Entry... Helped to bypass immigration line and customs line. The other nice part about Global Entry is that it usually does not cause any issues with my changes. It uses fingerprints to authenticate me as who I am, so they usually do not blink a bit about the gender mismatch.

And our two cats were so excited for us being back.

•  

sarah1972

June 26th - Vacation Update

As some may have noticed, I have been [retty absent in the past two weeks. We have been on a family vacation to see both of our families back in Germany. This is a trip we try to do every two years. None of them had met Sarah in person, but they all knew about my transition.

This trip had quite a bit of importance to us as well. Seeing how I get treated and accepted, primarily by her family, would be a big factor in how my wife felt about my transition. Same about how I acted in public and what reactions we would get.

For me, it was a very strange vacation and trip. Most likely also because it did start out with a pretty bad car accident in Germany and me being in shock for half the time. No one was hurt, but I still struggle with this. The car is pretty damaged tough.

We started out in Berlin with a really lovely garden party organized by my in-laws. Oddly enough, this is one of the rare occasions where the entire family comes together, we are somewhat a catalyst for them. Everything went well, no one really said anything. Creepy uncle kept his hands to himself and people shielded me from him. His wife asked about preferred name and pronouns (she was the only one and I thought this was really very nice. We had a lot of fun and everyone welcomed me the same way they always had.

Over the next few days, we met with some of them in smaller settings, did a bit of shopping, dealing with the fall out from the earlier accident and just did a bit of low key things. Kiddo never arrived in the German time zone, so she was jumping around till 2:00 AM every night, so we got a lot of slow starts in the day. My transition was never any topic for discussion. Unfortunately, they also all used my old name. I had offered it to them to make it easier but I want to be fair it was harder than I thought.

I also got a chance to meet up with an old co-worker and finally had a chance to be all Sarah again. Somehow with my wife around, I always hold back a little bit to give her more time. Berlin has absolutely fabulous public transportation and for years living there, I did not even own a car and even when I rarely drove. This time I did feel a bit uncomfortable. Not sure how people would react but no one noticed. I had a lovely conversation with an older lady on the bus and a dad told his lively kids to sit still "next to a lady" (me).

We wrapped Berlin up with a nice dinner at my in-laws and then traveled to Bonn for my parent's golden wedding anniversary. Finally, an occasion to dress up!! My family has been pretty good about my new name and was fully accepting. Hotel was way fancier than my usual accommodations and we did enjoy the luxury. It used to be the former guest house of the German Government high above the Rhine River.

The party itself was nice, kiddo got to meet all her nieces and nephews, food was great and there were plenty of occasions to talk. Again, my transition was never really a topic but I felt well accepted as "Big Sister" to my brothers and my sister.

I had already shared some of the "dressed all fancy" picture... for good measure, here is one more (never really noticed how much of a see-through dress it is when teh light is coming from the back)

Next day we all got together for a museum tour and the three of us rounded off the weekend with some alone time with my parents.

The trip back home was a usual trip with a kiddo on an airplane. Tons of hand luggage to lug around. Due to cost reasons, we had decided on a vacation airline and of course, they just do not have their act together compared to all the larger airlines. Two hours delay each way, no communication why and how long. But overall uneventful (besides the body scanner story I had posted yesterday).

I have one more day to catch up and decompress before heading back to work and I am planning to make the best of it.

As usual, the 10 days were over way too fast and I am still left with the feeling that there was never enough time for some real deep conversations.
I had hoped the vacation would give my wife and I some time to talk about us and how we continue our relationship. Due to my shock from the accident, I really did not feel like talking about anything, so, unfortunately, I have missed a good opportunity. I know my wife is struggling and we did touch on one small subject. I also know she downgraded the state of our relationship to "just friends" from "best friends" previously. This hurt a lot I have to admit. I do know it is my own doing and fault for causing her so much pain, so I better accept it.
It was a very strange thing: A friend of ours had posted a picture on Facebook of us three from a few weeks ago and I was wearing a dress. She mentioned that we are all tagged and I told her I'll talk to my friend since I am not fully out on Facebook to protect her. She suggested to allow it on my timeline but to limit visibility. I tried my best but of course: way too many people saw it, including some she did not want to tell. One of her other friends had seen a picture she had actually posted a while ago (the carousel picture) and figured it out that way.
I am not sure how she feels about all this, we have been rushing around so much that we had little time to talk about it.

On the brighter side: Everyone was accepting, even the few who did not get told until we met them. I hope this does help her, but I don't know what her family said behind my back.

I did come back very different than on previous vacations and I am not sure in what state I am. Right now I have a long laundry list of things to do and to keep my mind of things. I guess the next few days will show. Certainly not the place I wanted to be in.

So much for an update.

Hugs,

Sarah

•  

Northern Star Girl

@sarah1972
Dear Sarah:  Thank you so very much for posting your "long version" update to your thread and telling us about your family overseas vacation.  All in all, besides the car accident (that is not a good way to start a vacation away from home)  and the relatives that kept using your old dead name....  your update is certainly upbeat and a apparently pleasant time was had with all the family....

One thing that concerns me however is that see-through dress that you wore....  ya know Sarah, cis-women own and wear slips for a good reason !!!!   But I suppose that the so called fashion role models that we have been exposed to lately, the celebrities, seeing what they wear or don't wear makes your see-through dress look like something a conservative church lady would wear.  By the way, you looked absolutely stunning and beautiful in the dress pictures that you posted. ;)

I really hope that your optimistic attitude regarding your wife's continued reaction to your transition continues and that you can once again be upgraded to "best friend"   .....   I find that interesting that she took the initiative to change that particular status indicator.....   I fully understand why you felt "hurt" when you notice that.  I trust that you and her can come to a final plan to co-exist in a happy and close loving way, like it should always be between a married couple.

So, anyway Sarah.... thank you for getting us all updated....  now, for you it is back to the Salt Mine... you know what they say about work.... "Work is the yeast that raises the dough"

Love ya girl,
Hugs and continued well wishes,
Danielle

•