Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gertrude

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on October 01, 2018, 08:48:53 AM
Ah the circle of economics.
The plus is my daughter makes enough money that I don't get hit up too often. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

SonadoraXVX

Speaking about the circle of economics(put in on credit),  I think  last vestiges of my masculinity just emerged with my purchase of a savage model 110 fcp hs precision 338 lapua magnum,  with 26 inch barrel and muzzle brake, before I plunge to the other side[emoji41][emoji39](feminine side that is).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Nina

Between my hubby and I, we have five firearms, but all for hunting. We only hunt what we'll eat. Lol, up until two months ago, I owned a .22, .308 and 12ga, but then got hubby to take hunting course. Now he has a .22 and a shotgun.
We love this time of year. Small game is plenty - grouse and rabbit, bear, and of course moose. Unfortunately, two things I'll miss hunting as we moved really far north, there are no deer or turkeys.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Nina on October 11, 2018, 07:29:06 AM
Between my hubby and I, we have five firearms, but all for hunting. We only hunt what we'll eat. Lol, up until two months ago, I owned a .22, .308 and 12ga, but then got hubby to take hunting course. Now he has a .22 and a shotgun.
We love this time of year. Small game is plenty - grouse and rabbit, bear, and of course moose. Unfortunately, two things I'll miss hunting as we moved really far north, there are no deer or turkeys.

I wouldn't kill a food species for no reason, but I do enjoy plinking invasive species like the English Sparrow. They've virtually eliminated our native Eastern Bluebirds, and that's a crying shame.

Current score: Devlyn - several hundred. Sparrows - none.  :laugh:
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Devlyn on October 11, 2018, 09:05:01 AM
I wouldn't kill a food species for no reason, but I do enjoy plinking invasive species like the English Sparrow. They've virtually eliminated our native Eastern Bluebirds, and that's a crying shame.

Current score: Devlyn - several hundred. Sparrows - none.  [emoji23]
Their revenge will be a sight to behold!

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Devlyn

•  

Tatiana 79

Like I said before Devlyn awesome thread.
Don't sweat it to much about those Savage mobs of sparrows, I think your the same age as I am. I'm sure you remember the movie, The 🐦 Birds. lol

Hi Nina
It sure does sound like you and your hubby have all the bases covered with your choices of calibers and a shotgun.
And I see you also enjoy shooting a bow. Many firearm Gunners underestimate the killing power of a bow and arrow.
The last thing I shot with my PSE bow was a real nice black 🐻bear from 30 yards. But you want to know what the funny thing was, that bear didn't make it nearly as far as the other two I shot with my .270. with my handloads of a 150 grain Barnes X bullet atop 58 grains of R22, giving it a velocity of 3050 FPS.
But I have shot a heck of a lot of bucks in the 25 years living here but also many nice corn-fed bucks in the farmlands of Southern Michigan. I have a pic of a nice buck that my wife stuck with an arrow down there.
But running off of a phone I'll probably have to just stick it as my avatar for a little bit to let you see it.
The buck looks absolutely enormous and it is with it's swollen neck and nice rack. He also looks enormous because he went over 300 pounds live weight and my wife is like 4 ft 11 in and weighs 75 lb soaking wet.lol
It's been a pleasure making your acquaintance and I'm sure we'll talk again in the future.

Hello Sonadora
Congratulations on your purchase of your Savage chambered in the mighty .338 Lapua Magnum.
It sure does sound like a lot of gun for California but if your shot placement is hitting where you want it sounds wonderful and supports the BBB Theory (bigger bullet better)
I personally don't feel under Gunned with my .270 or even my bow with any game in North America.
But I'm sure glad you got a muzzle brake on that monster remember about the potential 30% loss of muscle mass. lol
But I'm sure you won't have any problem with it. Isn't it funny that when we shoot our rifles from a bench rest we get pounded pretty bad. But when you're shooting at game it feels like a pop gun.
It's been a real pleasure making your acquaintance and I'm sure we'll talk again someday probably about gun stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much Katie about your daughter going to college and receiving 300 inches of snow in the winter. Michigan Technological University isn't too far from me and I've actually seen some bad Winters where they had to have a tunnel system between the buildings.
But just a little north of there, there's a scale size thermometer to show the record snowfall.
That was 390 in of snow which equates to 32 and a half feet.
And actually right now it's snowing hard to beat the band.yay!
All the best to you and your daughter

Hunting season is upon us may everyone's jams be non-existent and their shots straight and safe.

Love Tatiana

•  

Devlyn

Thanks, doll! Megan has informed me that we can make a sparrow pie, keep your eye on the thread for this decidedly English recipe!  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

SonadoraXVX

Hey Tatiana,

Yea, I will get that lapua by the end of this month. Cali is something else. They make you get a firearms safety test for any weapon bought, legal in cali, and make you get a handgun safety test. I guess too many people were shooting themselves in the foot or others.
I myself am a former usmc mp, 5811, which the top stuff is ridiculous to me.
We use to call the top stuff, weapons safety handing procedures, among other stuff, that went under the big umbrella of weaponscraft and fieldcraft for military police. Now I have to brush up in how to put glass and zero the glass on this lapua and get my dope in it. Will eventually get around to put glass in it.

I just could not pass up on this savage 338 lapua, for $1300 it would be like passing on new, unused manolos blahnik stylish wedges for $100.

Nope, it was not going to happen, like when I got an ltr in 308 without the scope. Moneys tight, but not tight enough for a bargain Remington ltr at $800.

PS. Jr or the 338 lapua is my last weapons buy in cali, they don't sell Sr or the 5-10 rd 50 bmg in cali, just the 1 shot bmg.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Tatiana 79

Hi Sonadora
I know exactly what you mean some things that you come across you just got to have.
With all your experience I'm certain you're aware of all the potential of this 26in Barrel monster
It's definitely exotic and desirable, and I bet it won't sound like your neighbors rifles. lol
I've heard some countries adopted the ever impressive .338 Lapua Magnum. as their long range sniper rifle.
If you're into reloading let me know I acquired a ton of big caliber bullets from a deceased neighbor and eBay didn't exactly like me trying to list any of them even though they're completely safe so I really have no use for them if you want them just PM me and I'll send them out now flat rate box no big deal.

Have fun with that ever impressive Beast it'd be fun to hear what range it can reach out and touch.
Who said girls can't shoot straight remember Annie Oakley. lol
See ya love Tatiana
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: Tatiana 79 on October 20, 2018, 02:43:28 PM

I've heard some countries adopted the ever impressive .338 Lapua Magnum. as their long range sniper rifle.

One option for US Navy SEALs is the McMillan Tac-338 .338 Lapua Magnum (27" barrel).  The .338 was the rifle Chris Kyle used to make a 2100 yard shot outside of Sadr City.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Colleen_definitely

The British use the .338 LM along with several other countries.  It's one heck of a cartridge for sure, and nicely covers the middle ground between something like a 7.62 NATO and the .50BMG.

Of course in the states we had to be special snowflakes and adopt the .300 Winchester magnum because "made in MURICA" or something like that.  It's certainly an improvement over the 7.62 chambering but not quite as much oomf as the .338LM.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

SonadoraXVX

I can only buy a 338 LM in California,  until I move out of California, then I could buy me a 50 bmg, 5 shot magazine,cin cali they only offer the 1 shot 50 bmg.(nah).

•  

Colleen_definitely

I thought they banned the cartridge in rifles and you had to get the .50 DTM instead. I don't keep up on cali laws all that much though.
  •  

Linde

I have two rifles, a shotgun, and a pistol.
I used to go dear hunting.  My in laws had 100 aces of forst in northern Wisconsin with a deer shack on it.  We used to go hunting there.
I will give the rifles to my son, because he still lives in Minnesota and goes hunting there.  I now live in SW Florida, and the deer they have here are barely larger than a medium sized dog.  I don't like to shoot at animals that look like a pet!

I keep the shotgun and the pistol as self defense devices.  The crime rate here is a little higher than up north, and I have a tactical flashlight on my shotgun, and am ready for the thugs to come.  My main defense system is my dog, a mixture between Rottweiler and Great Dane.  This dog scares the UPS  and Fed Ex men away, and I don't think thugs would want to pick a fight with it either.

I have the pistol and the dog with me when I travel in my motorhome (I like to boon-dog).
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Colleen_definitely

•  

Gertrude

I like the FNX 45. I'd modify it to use 45 Super. Perfect duty sidearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

tgirlamg

Quote from: GingerVicki on October 27, 2018, 04:22:53 AM
Check this out.
https://fnamerica.com/products/fn-509-series/fn-509-tactical/

Sweet styling... looks like a Springfield Armory XDM and HK USP Tactical had a love child... 😀
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Nina

Quote from: Tatiana 79 on October 11, 2018, 12:14:02 PM

Hi Nina
It sure does sound like you and your hubby have all the bases covered with your choices of calibers and a shotgun.
And I see you also enjoy shooting a bow. Many firearm Gunners underestimate the killing power of a bow and arrow.
The last thing I shot with my PSE bow was a real nice black 🐻bear from 30 yards. But you want to know what the funny thing was, that bear didn't make it nearly as far as the other two I shot with my .270. with my handloads of a 150 grain Barnes X bullet atop 58 grains of R22, giving it a velocity of 3050 FPS.
But I have shot a heck of a lot of bucks in the 25 years living here but also many nice corn-fed bucks in the farmlands of Southern Michigan. I have a pic of a nice buck that my wife stuck with an arrow down there.
But running off of a phone I'll probably have to just stick it as my avatar for a little bit to let you see it.
The buck looks absolutely enormous and it is with it's swollen neck and nice rack. He also looks enormous because he went over 300 pounds live weight and my wife is like 4 ft 11 in and weighs 75 lb soaking wet.lol
It's been a pleasure making your acquaintance and I'm sure we'll talk again in the future.

Ahhh, someone else who appreciates archery. I love the sporting aspect of it, because it takes skill, ability to stalk quietly, and in my opinion, it levels the playing field. Anyone can bag game with a firearm, but try with a bow from 30-50 yards. That's skill.
My first compound was a PSE Stinger X. Now I'm using a Bowtec Carbon...super light.

2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •