Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Jelly Bean Counting Contest

Started by Tracey, March 23, 2018, 04:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

In my hands is a one gallon square glass jug filled with Starburst jelly beans. You guess how many.

The rules are:

One guess per post.

No consecutive posting, someone else must post between your guesses.

Contest ends Sunday April 1 at midnight EST.

Winner will be the person who guesses closest without going over.

Winner will be announced April 2nd and will have the option of actually receiving the jelly beans and jar, or making a donation to the site in order to prevent me from sending the jelly beans to them.  ;D

Jelly beans were weight counted on a calibrated scale. That is the number that will be used to determine the winner.

In the event of a tie the first contestant to guess the number wins.
  •  

Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Cindy

Cindy quickly converts an American gallon to an imperial gallon divide by 4.5 to convert to litres. Changes the starburst jelly bean inches to centimetres and uses the Devlyn hand size conversion unit matrix, takes daylight saving into account and the cool change forecast this afternoon.

•  

salaniaseviltwin

925? This reminds me of 1st grade. We did something just like it way back when.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"Perception is reality. If you are perceived to be something, you might as well be it because that's the truth in people's minds."   -Steve Young

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Cindy on March 23, 2018, 04:47:59 PM
Cindy quickly converts an American gallon to an imperial gallon divide by 4.5 to convert to litres. Changes the starburst jelly bean inches to centimetres and uses the Devlyn hand size conversion unit matrix, takes daylight saving into account and the cool change forecast this afternoon.

"She blinded me....with science!"
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 23, 2018, 04:53:11 PM
"She blinded me....with science!"

And baffled me with Rh................
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Megan.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Dena

1700 is probably a low end estimate. Those estimating in the low 2000s still are likely to be winners.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Cassi

OMG.  You all got me giggling again!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

DawnOday

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Devlyn

A Mathemagician Who Shall Not Be Named sent me this....

Best Answer:  Well, let's make a calculation based on some assumptions:

➊ we are talking about an imperial gallon = 4.546 L (1 L = 1 litre)
(If you wish to re-do the estimate with an American gallon, use 3.785 L instead)

➋ 1 jellybean has a volume of say, 1.5 cm³

➋ some of the space in the jug will be air, as the beans don't "stack" and fill every available space, so let's "inflate" the average volume of the bean, and the air wasted space around it, to 2 cm³

A container of size 1 L will occupy 1000 cm³ of space
∴ a 1 gallon or 4.546 L container will occupy 4546 cm³ of space

∴ 4546 cm³ of space ÷ 2 cm³/jellybean & air = 2273 jellybeans

Let's round that down to the nearest 50 and say 2250 jellybeans.

...which would be impressive as heck.....if they knew how to count past two!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  •  

Jessica

•  

Cassi

Lost me talking about cm and litres.  What would musical instruments have to do with it?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: salaniaseviltwin on March 23, 2018, 04:52:30 PM
925? This reminds me of 1st grade. We did something just like it way back when.

Wait, you meant that in a GOOD way, right?  ;D
  •  

Jessica

I'm using the hand/boob method in my calculations. 
How many right boob handfuls would it take? 
I know it would take a few more handfuls if I used my left boob.
Then I take the average and presto!
Now this of course is an entirely personal formula and ymmv.

This is science!  Jessica

•  

salaniaseviltwin

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 23, 2018, 07:57:56 PM
Wait, you meant that in a GOOD way, right?  ;D
Of course. I got a jar full of jelly beans. What first grader wouldn't be happy. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"Perception is reality. If you are perceived to be something, you might as well be it because that's the truth in people's minds."   -Steve Young

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 23, 2018, 04:00:39 PM

Winner will be announced April 2nd and will have the option of actually receiving the jelly beans and jar, or making a donation to the site in order to prevent me from sending the jelly beans to them.  ;D

So.....just to be clear........the winner will have the option to either get the jar of jelly beans.......
or make a donation to the site........how much do we have to donate?

Lol, semantics counts with Devlyn!  >:-) Watch out!

•  

Devlyn

I'm not stipulating a donation, I shouldn't have put that in there. The site has no connection to my contest.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 23, 2018, 09:44:31 PM
I'm not stipulating a donation, I shouldn't have put that in there. The site has no connection to my contest.

Hugs, Devlyn

Oh my.... I meant that in jest.  I knew what you meant and just made a play on words.
Sorry Devlyn, didn't mean to infer anything.
I've made my guesses, so I'll stop causing trouble and step out of the thread.

•