Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Susans Writers and Book Readers

Started by Northern Star Girl, May 21, 2018, 06:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KatieP

I read a lot. Well, it seems like a lot. About 100 books a year, plus or minus, depending on how many repeats there are in the year. So, I am ALWAYS looking for recommendations. Last night at a restaurant, the server recommended "Beneath a Marble Sky" and I immediately bought it on my Kindle. (And, for me, Kindle has saved my back. In the old day when I used to have to save a lot of space in my luggage for all the books was a total pain in the lower back.)

I rank my books by category, since comparing Linda Howard with David Baldacci seems unfair. So...

In the sort of science fiction category, I think Neal Stephenson wins. I think he wrote the best book of the 20th century (Cryptonomicon), an I loved Seven Eves. I did get tired through the Baroque Cycle though.

In the Romance category, Linda Howard by a mile. Even though they may all have the same plot, I have yet to read one of hers that did not thrill me. Or swoon me...

In the Popular category, it's hard to beat Michael Connelly.

In the Police procedural, I still think Sue Grafton is the Queen.

In the LitFic category, there are a ton of great options, such as Kite Runner, All the Light We Cannot See, etc

In the make you cry category, there are many contenders, but if you are a teacher, or know a teacher, "Ms. Bixby's Last Day" will make you cry forever...

Bad Ass Protagonist? No question. Jack Reacher from Lee Child. He would kick Kirk McGarvey's ass...

For total fun, read them when there is nothing new: I often go back to the Harry Potter series, and even Twilight. (Sorry. I just put all my opinions in jeopardy, didn't I?)

Transgender novel? Although it gives away a lot probably, Conclave, since Harris is a popular author...

Literally, I could go on for hours...

;D

Edit: I gave my vote for the best book of the 20th Century. My vote for the best book of the 21st Century, so far? 11-22-63 from Stephen King...
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@KatieP   
Thank you for your extensive and informative treatise on your book reading endeavors... 
I find it very interesting to discover what and how other avid readers address their preferences.

I can not argue with some of your choices and comparison of various authors works... but of course, we all have a personal likes and dislikes.

Your choice of Linda Howard for Romance is good but I prefer Debbie Macomber and her writing style... but like you stated most of these kinds of books by these authors have much of the same plot but the authors do a great job of riveting our attention... some of Debbie Macomber's books are difficult to stop reading in the middle... they can be the proverbial page turners.

I agree with you about Neal Stephenson's "The Baroque Cycle", I put the book down and away before I was halfway through... 
My Science Fiction Choice recently is "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch....  a thrilling story for sure, difficult to find a stopping point when reading it.

My BOOK CLUB has already read David Baldacci's "Memory Man"  ... it was a wonderfully riveting book to read...  in the near future I am hoping to get my book club to consider the other 3 books in the series...
... "The Last Mile" ,  "The Fix" , and  "The Fallen" ... all have the character Amos Decker, the detective with an unwavering memory (hence the first book "Memory Man")

My other reading choices also include non-fiction works that chronicle military HISTORY such as in the WW1, WW2 and Civil War periods......   
...and The Enigma (German WW2 Cryptology Cypher Machine)... described in a couple books by David Kahn titled "Seizing the Enigma: The Race to Break the German U-Boat Codes, 1939–1945" and "The Code Breakers" ... both are very interesting and easy to read.

Then in a more scientific and astronomy vein...
James Gleck's "Genius" which is a novel/biography about the famous physicist Richard Feynman.
Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" is permanently on my book shelf.
I have read and re-read many of Carl Sagan's books, my favorites are  "Pale Blue Dot" and "Cosmos"...

****.... and MY ALL TIME FAVORITE that I have read and re-read about a half dozen times is a book by Dennis Overbye titled "Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos"  ... it chronicles the  early to mid 20th century benchmark astronomical findings of the famous Astronomers such as Hubble and Sandage and others.  Even though it is loaded with scientific data and facts, it is written as an enjoyable and fairly wonderfully easy read that is difficult to put down.

Thanks again Katie for reading and following this thread and for coming here with your comments.
Hugs,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 18, 2018, 08:22:46 PM
I think you may have missed my question from earlier :D so I though I would ask again if that ok ;)

What is the next book your book club is reading @Alaskan Danielle...

Take care

Liz

@ElizabethK   @KatieP
Dear Liz and Katie:  My book club has already read David Baldacci's "Memory Man"  ... it is a wonderfully written "detective" book.

We have not yet made a final choice for our next book to read, lots of suggestions from the other members regarding authors, titles and genres ....

... my suggestion is to follow up on the second book in the series of 4 books by David Baldacci  "The Last Mile"  ...
it also has the character Amos Decker, the detective with an infallible memory (hence the first book "Memory Man")

I am thinking and hoping that is the book that we will all decide on.

Thank you for reading and following and for your comments, please continue to come here often.
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 11, 2018, 06:12:29 AM
What a great thread...I fall into the Avid reader frustrated writer category. I am trying to write my transition story for awhile now and am still putting together details. Primarily writing is to help me as a way of venting my emotions whether they be anger, happiness or laughter. I have a file of probably 100 writings completed since this journey began in earnest and from this I will try to make this the basis of a cohesive story. I hope that the raw emotions I felt when writing some of these pieces will come out in the writng...it is these emotions I want the reader to understand and if possible feel.

I cannot read actual paper books anymore due to the side effects of medications but I listen to books constantly, I am currently listening to a book of short horror stories called The Best Horror of the Year By Ellen Datlow. I am also listening to my absolute all time favourite story that I know inside and out...The Dark Tower series by Stephen King . I have listened to this series of 8 books a number of times and know the stories intimately. You can see King mature over the years he took to write this series. He is a very different writer in his last book written some years later than the first in this series.

"The dark man fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed"    The opening line to the first book in the series. From there unfolds and 8 book tale.

What is the next book your book club is reading @Alaskan Danielle...

Take care

Liz
@ElizabethK
Dear Liz: Thank you for your kind words about this thread...  I like reading and I like trying out my novice efforts to write... but what I really like is to hear about others reading preferences, book reports and to read some of their writings.

You stated that you have about 100 writings that you composed, since your journey began..... 
PLEASE, OH PLEASE, if you feel so led and feel comfortable posting some of those please do. 
Not only would it be an emotional release for you but it can be a source of inspiration and encouragement for the readers and followers of this thread.  Please consider sharing some of your writings

So sorry to hear of your difficulty with reading, but for sure, Audio Books are a wonderful option... not only do you get the story read to you but also most audio books interlace some appropriate music and voice drama into the reading.  Plus you can listen to the books while you drive a car, or are cooking, or cleaning, etc.  Certainly a wonderful alternative, especially considering your reported vision issues.

Yes, indeed, I agree with you regarding the Stephen King "Dark Tower" books .. they are wonderful... no wonder he is a top selling author.   Just about anything he writes is worth taking the time to read.

The next book that my BOOK CLUB has not been selected yet, we are still recapping the Alaska trilogy series.
I put my vote in for the second book in the series of 4 books by David Baldacci  "The Last Mile"   
Many of the authors such as the way that David Baldacci writes... make it a point to make each book stand alone, even though it is in a series.  We did read the first book in that series "Memory Man" earlier this year.

Thank you for reading and following and for your comments... you are always welcome here, come often and share.
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Laurie

Hi Folks,

I seldom try my hand at writing anything creative. But this morning I come up with the following for @Michelle_P For her to read when she woke up. Each morning we greet each other with text and emojis when we are apart. I hope you like it too.

Waking up

Sky brightens.   
Night slips away. 
Day breaking.
Life waking.       
Horizon golden.   
Rising sun.   
Loved one stirs. 
Limbs stretching.   
Eyes open.   
Smile widens.   
Lovers kiss.
Good morning, Sweetheart.

Hugs,
   Laurie

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Laurie on July 26, 2018, 09:59:06 AM
Hi Folks,

I seldom try my hand at writing anything creative. But this morning I come up with the following for @Michelle_P For her to read when she woke up. Each morning we greet each other with text and emojis when we are apart. I hope you like it too.

Waking up

Sky brightens.   
Night slips away. 
Day breaking.
Life waking.       
Horizon golden.   
Rising sun.   
Loved one stirs. 
Limbs stretching.   
Eyes open.   
Smile widens.   
Lovers kiss.

Hugs,
   Laurie

Awww....how sweet sis! 
I think she likes you 🌸🌸🌸

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Laurie on July 26, 2018, 09:59:06 AM
Hi Folks,

Waking up

Sky brightens.   
Night slips away. 
Day breaking.
Life waking.       
Horizon golden.   
Rising sun.   
Loved one stirs. 
Limbs stretching.   
Eyes open.   
Smile widens.   
Lovers kiss.

Hugs,
   Laurie

@Laurie
Dear Laurie:
What you wrote is absolutely beautiful ... 
...and goes well with the Red Roses that you gave to @Michelle_P

Thank you so very much for posting your heartfelt writings here... 
I love to see frequent submissions from all of Susan's members writings, and book reviews....
Hugs,
Danielle
       P.S.  @Michelle_P... you are a lucky woman for sure!!!

•  

SallyChoasAura

I'm not in a book club but I do love reading. I'm mostly into fiction of any kind, fantasy, and mythology. Harry Potter is a longtime favorite of mine. Right now I've mostly into reading fanfiction.
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: SallyChoasAura on July 26, 2018, 10:12:22 AM
Harry Potter is a longtime favorite of mine.

OK. This may be too personal of a question ( ;D) but...

How many of you waited in line at midnight at Barnes and Nobles waiting for one or more of the Harry Potter books to go on sale?

As the second most personal thing I have ever shared on this forum: Yep. I did. More than once.

Kate
  •  

KatieP

Oh. Almost as embarrassing: How many of you did that for any of the Twilight series?

Twice, I was the only person over the age of 15 in line.

And, parenthetically, no one seemed worried about the safety of the young women standing so close to an old transgender woman...  ;D
  •  

SallyChoasAura

Quote from: KatieP on July 26, 2018, 03:30:24 PM
OK. This may be too personal of a question ( ;D) but...

How many of you waited in line at midnight at Barnes and Nobles waiting for one or more of the Harry Potter books to go on sale?

As the second most personal thing I have ever shared on this forum: Yep. I did. More than once.

Kate

Quote from: KatieP on July 26, 2018, 03:33:09 PM
Oh. Almost as embarrassing: How many of you did that for any of the Twilight series?

Twice, I was the only person over the age of 15 in line.

And, parenthetically, no one seemed worried about the safety of the young women standing so close to an old transgender woman...  ;D
No I haven't done that... yet.😈
And I'm not a fan of Twilight... the whole plot just feels so... bland. But I respect the fact that you like it, it just wasn't for me. 🤷‍♀️
  •  

KatieP

Have you read Stephanie Meyer's "The Host?" She called it her "adult" book.

The plot summary is: A love Triangle, where one of the parties is an alien.  :o

But if you can do Harry Potter, that summary probably won't deter you like it does many people.

I cried like a baby at least 4 separate times reading The Host. The put-the-book-down-and-wait-for-it-to-end type of crying.

Probably similarly bland as the Twilight series, but I LOVED it...

Kate
  •  

SallyChoasAura

Quote from: KatieP on July 27, 2018, 03:40:26 PM

But if you can do Harry Potter, that summary probably won't deter you like it does many people.

I cried like a baby at least 4 separate times reading The Host. The put-the-book-down-and-wait-for-it-to-end type of crying.

Kate
No I haven't read it, but I'll check it out next time I go to the library! 📚📖
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: KatieP on July 27, 2018, 03:40:26 PM

Kate

@KatieP
Dear Kate:   
Yes I have read "The Host"  .... frankly, I am not a fan of the Twilight book series, but in the Host,  Stephanie Meyers displays a style of writing goes well beyond the words that she writes.. and it hits the reader in their emotions....
   Kate: ...   thus the tears that you and I shed while reading various portions of the story.

Her focus is just not the Aliens that conquer Earth and inhabit earth humans and their bodies but also gives us heartfelt themes such as the innate human capacity to sacrifice our own lives for others that are dear to us, of loving our own bodies, and of parental desire to make our offspring's lives better by altering how we live.

This is a great book... a little sluggish in the beginning but it soon grabs the reader.

Thank you for suggesting "The Host" ... hopefully our brief summaries will inspire others to read this book...

Thank you for your post.
Danielle

•  

KatieP

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on July 27, 2018, 06:38:54 PM
@
also gives us heartfelt themes such as the innate human capacity to sacrifice our own lives for others that are dear to us, of loving our own bodies, and of parental desire to make our offspring's lives better by altering how we live.

I think it is so fun, Danielle, your way with words. I read the same book, and know exactly what you are saying. However, I would have been incapable of expressing myself as you have.

I think if this Alaskan business of your does not work out, you should consider book reviewer as a vocation...  ;D
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: KatieP on July 27, 2018, 10:36:52 PM
I think it is so fun, Danielle, your way with words. I read the same book, and know exactly what you are saying. However, I would have been incapable of expressing myself as you have.

I think if this Alaskan business of your does not work out, you should consider book reviewer as a vocation...  ;D

@KatieP
Dear Kate:
Thank you for your confirmation about what we both thought about the book... "The Host"

Please, if you have anything to add, or any other books of interest to you.... or any brief writings, quotes or poems that tug at your heartstrings or are just great to read, please feel free to post them here.  I want to encourage you to come here often...
Thank you for your comments.
Danielle

•  

Northern Star Girl

August 08,2018... My local Book Club UPDATE:

My book club finished up the 3 book series, Alaska Skies...  we had lots of interesting and detailed discussions about the book, the settings and the characters in those books. 
Like most romantic novels that Debbie Macomber writes, they were captivating for sure,
and the story lines were most appropriate for where we live here.

We are now moving on to our next book....
            "Send Down the Rain" by Charles Martin.

The book byline is: 
   "A spellbinding story of buried secrets, lost love, and the promise of second chances."

We just got the books today... and my group and I are very excited to start reading it.  I may even start tonight.   
At our next book club meeting at the end of August we will review the first several chapters together.   
I have been loving these romance novels that we have been reading...  brings up lots of emotions including some tears as we read the books.

*QUESTION???   What book are you reading lately...???

Hugs and happy reading....
Danielle

(left click photo to enlarge)

•  

DustKitten

Re-reading the Harry Potter series for, idk, the 6th or 7th time now. Currently halfway through The Prisoner of Azkaban.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: DustKitten on August 07, 2018, 05:36:44 PM
Re-reading the Harry Potter series for, idk, the 6th or 7th time now. Currently halfway through The Prisoner of Azkaban.

@DustKitten:

I am so very glad to read your posting reply....   I am very pleased to find that I am not the only one who re-reads favorite books over and over....   

Upon re-reading them I am always gleaning new insight and new meanings to the stories....   
Thank you for posting your thoughts.

Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

•  

DustKitten

I haven't read many books more than twice :) but I genuinely think of some books as old friends waiting for me to come visit them again. When I was a kid I read White Fang, The Hobbit, and A Christmas Carol more times than I can remember, and if I like a book or series enough, I'll eventually go back to it.

Speaking of which, is anyone else waiting on The Winds of Winter? I've read the whole Song of Ice and Fire series 3 times since A Dance with Dragons was released, and I refuse to watch past season 4 of the show until the next book is done. I want to read the real thing first.
  •