Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Why do transgender feelings get stronger with age?

Started by Danielle Kristina, July 18, 2018, 01:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krobinson103

Quote from: Karen on July 23, 2018, 04:41:54 PM
Thanks for sharing. 

If I can ask, what was your final straw?  Did you have family and career considerations?  And if so, how did you handle those?

Thank you.

Karen

I have family and career that have will be been hit hard by this. However, life was simply not worth living anymore and living a lie for the sake of stuff and others became unbearable.
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

TonyaW

Thanks for sharing. 

If I can ask, what was your final straw?  Did you have family and career considerations?  And if so, how did you handle those?

Thank you.

Karen

Was no final straw.  That's why I liked Gertrude's repetitive stress injury analogy. No one big thing, but the accumulation of all the things over all the years. Family concerns certainly made me think transition wasn't possible for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Danielle Kristina

For me it was sudden.  Until this sudden burst of feminine feelings I considered myself a crossdresser.  I only dressed on occasions, whenever the urge hit.  However, suddenly the desire to dress hit and then never dissipated.  All of a sudden I didn't want to stop dressing and I found myself peeing sitting down with little conscious effort on my part.  That wa.s when I finally realized that I was more than just a crossdresser and began exploring my gender identity.  Today I know I'm transgender.
April 19, 2018: First post here on Susan's Place
April 27, 2018: First session with my gender therapist
July 30, 2018: Received my HRT letter
September 3,2018: Came our for the first time

Becoming me more every day!!!
  •  

KathyLauren

Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you.

Karen

My "final straw" was seeing a trans woman in real life delivering a public lecture.  She wasn't "being trans".  She was just being herself and doing what she does.  And being accepted as such by a large audience.  It dealt a significant blow to the fears that had kept me in denial for decades.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you.

Karen

My dysphoria increased A LOT after starting working out and getting manlier. I thought getting muscles would help me feel better as a man. And it did for a quick second and then all came crumbling down and I felt horribly about myself. And then I got serious suicidal thoughts...That was the tipping point. A week after those thoughts started I went to therapy and one year and a half later here I am living full time as a woman.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

TranSketch

Quote from: Charlie Nicki on July 24, 2018, 02:32:00 PM
My dysphoria increased A LOT after starting working out and getting manlier. I thought getting muscles would help me feel better as a man. And it did for a quick second and then all came crumbling down and I felt horribly about myself. And then I got serious suicidal thoughts...That was the tipping point. A week after those thoughts started I went to therapy and one year and a half later here I am living full time as a woman.
More power to you for living full time, I'm still only presenting every other weekend but in day to day life and work I present male still, I can't risk it in my head as I still feel there's to many masculine traits to be passable
Life is fleeting, so may as well kick back and pull up a chair.
  •  

DawnOday

Karen. I decided to go forward when I could no longer stand myself. I was having a breakdown and had gotten out of control. I realised to save my marriage I might have to do something that could destroy it. My wife knew she hadn't married a woman, but thankfully she did realise she married her best friend. Still a little friction, but we tell each other we love each other, far more than we used to.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

BunnyBee

I think it's that the wearing-down is cumulative. It's like erosion, where dysphoria is the water running over the rocks. For many reasons, age increases the flow. Your physical form grows more untenably away from your identity, your life gets more entrenched in a role that feels wrong, more things remind you of your isolation and silent imprisonment behind the eyes of a growing construct. There is an impossible dynamic of getting weaker while the crushing forces grow stronger.
  •  

ErinAscending

For me it was the disconnect from life itself.  I spent years just letting life happen to me instead of experiencing and engaging with it.  After cracks appeared over the years I would seal it up with more and more of what I perceived as "Masculinity", by the time it all came down I was an ugly ugly person.  One insignificant stress too many and I found I couldn't do it anymore.  All the BS was gone and there I was.  Exposed, vulnerable, highly emotional, alone (because of the disconnection from life I had no real "Friends" to speak of), and for the first time in over 30 years I could see all of my life at once and saw a lot of holes...

I started plugging up the holes and simply couldn't deny it...  It was waaaaaay too damn obvious for me at least.  I only started to stabilize after admitting it, owning it, and being proud instead of ashamed for the first time in my life.  Then came figuring out what to do.  Still workin on that as we speak.
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Quote from: TranSketch on July 24, 2018, 02:41:31 PM
More power to you for living full time, I'm still only presenting every other weekend but in day to day life and work I present male still, I can't risk it in my head as I still feel there's to many masculine traits to be passable

I understand how you feel. I waited for a year on HRT and some surgeries (breast augmentation and lipo) before I had the confidence to go full time. The funny thing is...I still get misgendered sometimes, so at this point passability is a goal but not an obstacle for me. There might be a point when you feel the same, if that happen then it's time to go full time!
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: TonyaW on July 23, 2018, 11:01:00 PM

Was no final straw.  That's why I liked Gertrude's repetitive stress injury analogy. No one big thing, but the accumulation of all the things over all the years. Family concerns certainly made me think transition wasn't possible for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Re family, same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Danielle Kristina

I find it interesting how many viewpoints there are on why this happens to us.  For me, it took therapy to sort out my feelings and  identify what was going on.  Like so many have said already it wasn't one thing but an accumulation of things.  That's pretty much what my therapist said when she diagnosed me as being transgender.  Before I could even admit to being trans she said "the prof is in the pudding," and stated that I was more than just a cross dresser.  While I may not have dysphoria as severely as others, I'm very much transgender whether I want to be or not.  My inner girl is here to stay.
April 19, 2018: First post here on Susan's Place
April 27, 2018: First session with my gender therapist
July 30, 2018: Received my HRT letter
September 3,2018: Came our for the first time

Becoming me more every day!!!
  •