Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What are you having for dinner? 3.0

Started by V M, July 19, 2018, 06:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dena

Quote from: Dietlind on May 04, 2019, 12:20:26 PM
I don't understand how anybody would like cornbread!  Taking the valuable food away from the poor cows to make bread of!
A little known secret is the war between the north and the south continues today and it's because of corn bread. There are two types of corn bread with the difference being northern corn bread is cake like and has enough sugar in it to be sweet. The best example of this Marie Callender's corn bread. Those from the north hate southern corn bread and those from the south hate northern corn bread. You really need to taste both before deciding you don't like corn bread.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

V M

Quote from: Dena on May 04, 2019, 05:24:10 PM
A little known secret is the war between the north and the south continues today and it's because of corn bread. There are two types of corn bread with the difference being northern corn bread is cake like and has enough sugar in it to be sweet. The best example of this Marie Callender's corn bread. Those from the north hate southern corn bread and those from the south hate northern corn bread. You really need to taste both before deciding you don't like corn bread.

I was completely unaware of that, I just thought that some folks cornbread was good while other folks cornbread sucked LOL

See, you learn something new everyday even at my age

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 04, 2019, 11:05:03 AM
Last night I made steak chili and corn bread. My southern neighbor taught me to make corn bread. No one was really Impressed with it. I served the left over corn bread with chili one night and my dad totally loved it with chili. Now I dare not make chili without cornbread.

Chile or some kind of soup is actually one of the most common things to eat with cornbread

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 04, 2019, 12:25:30 PM
I know, I don't like it either. In fact my dad is the only one who does. But he only likes it with chili. So I only make a very small batch. Tristan being the full blooded Aussie he is, put vegemite on a piece of cornbread and he said it was still disgusting. Lol
Anything is disgusting when one puts this vegemite stuff on!  The similar stuff in the UK is marmite, and when I first tried it, I thought I had to die!

I was running around for almost the entire day, because of this supper was very simple.  Boneless Buffalo Wings fried in my air fryer, and along I had some Brussels Sprouts (I love those a lot).
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

MollyPants

Quote from: Dietlind on May 04, 2019, 08:06:48 PM
Anything is disgusting when one puts this vegemite stuff on!  The similar stuff in the UK is marmite, and when I first tried it, I thought I had to die!

I was running around for almost the entire day, because of this supper was very simple.  Boneless Buffalo Wings fried in my air fryer, and along I had some Brussels Sprouts (I love those a lot).

I love a bit of marmite! [emoji1787]

I made meatballs with linguine and for pudding I made an Eton mess.

We had friends over and they brought some snacks round including pork flavour crisps with apples slices. (Crisps being chips across the pond)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Linde

Quote from: MollyPants on May 05, 2019, 02:24:49 AM
pork flavour crisps with apples slices. (Crisps being chips across the pond)

I don't think we can get those on this side of the pond.  But, on the other hand, we do not have to eat marmide either!  >:-)

•  

Maid Marion

Try Walmart and look for either fried pork rinds or skins instead of pork chips or crisps.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Dietlind on May 05, 2019, 10:37:40 AM
I don't think we can get those on this side of the pond.  But, on the other hand, we do not have to eat marmide either!  >:-)
I don't know for sure but I suspect they are called pork rinds over here. If so, in parts of the country they are as popular as bacon. They are a traditional southern food but they are available most anywhere.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Maid Marion on May 05, 2019, 10:40:30 AM
Try Walmart and look for either fried pork rinds or skins instead of pork chips or crisps.
Pork Rinds are know to me, and not really liked, I thought those pork crisps are like chips with pork taste to it?

•  

MollyPants

I'm making stuffed peppers tonight with some leafy greens

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Dietlind on May 05, 2019, 10:37:40 AM

Tristan calls pork rinds " pork crisps ". Ewwww pork rinds are nasty!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: MollyPants on May 05, 2019, 12:30:39 PM
I'm making stuffed peppers tonight with some leafy greens

Mmmmmmmmm I love stuffed peppers.  What do you stuff yours with?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

MollyPants

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 05, 2019, 12:48:05 PM
Mmmmmmmmm I love stuffed peppers.  What do you stuff yours with?

I've stuffed these with some minced steak with salt and pepper. Normally we use sausage meat, walnuts, breadcrumbs and some blue cheese. Well we did the other time I made them a few years ago!

What do you use for yours?

•  

MollyPants

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 05, 2019, 12:47:00 PM

We cook the pork rind separately as a bar snack here! Its delicious!! Everyone fights over them.

•  

Linde

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 05, 2019, 12:47:00 PM
You seem to have the German taste buds girl!

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: MollyPants on May 05, 2019, 01:08:50 PM
I've stuffed these with some minced steak with salt and pepper. Normally we use sausage meat, walnuts, breadcrumbs and some blue cheese. Well we did the other time I made them a few years ago!

What do you use for yours?

I stuff mine with ground beef and ground pork, minced onions and rice. I bake them in tomato sauce. Sometimes I use ground beef and ground lamb.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

V M

I'm unfortunately allergic to bell peppers but I make twice baked stuffed potatoes that are pretty tasty  ;D 

I like pork rinds/crisps now and then with some kind of dip usually avocado or sour cream and chives
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Linde

I made something like a health food stuff.  I had two Krakauer sausages and needed to use them.  Chopped up into large chunks they went into a crock pot.  They were followed by all kinds of different veggies (a lot of kale was among them), some spices and a lot of simmering, and the outcome was a really tasty stew type of dish.

I will have enough of it for tomorrow, and am looking forward to reheat it (hopefully i will taste even better)!

•  

Julia1996

Tonight I made a pork loin, string beans with onion and mushrooms with boiled new ppotatoes and apple gravy.  Dessert was a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream icing.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

davina61

yesterday made Fish and green mango curry with rice, have enough left for the next 3 nights-------- tonight as I have a cooked chicken to use it will be a Jalfrezi , might make a sweetcorn and bell pepper  curry as well as the peppers (still ok) have been in fridge for 2 weeks!!!!
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

davina61

More stuff to use up, made a chicken curry to use up some yogurt and a chickpea and spinach curry to use up the spinach .
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •