Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Is "Mate" a gender neutral term

Started by LizK, January 18, 2019, 04:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

The question I have is probably self evident but I will give it some context.

When using the term "mate" is it something you would constantly use for a female friend in lieu of her name?

Would you normally use "Mate" when referring to a male friend?

Some examples of what I mean

"What do you think mate"

"How was your day mate?"

"Well mate I have to go"

"Hi mate how are you?"

"That's great news mate"
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Cindy

In Australia yes.

Mate.

Catch you next week Liz.
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Cindy on January 18, 2019, 04:21:30 AM
In Australia yes.

Mate.

Catch you next week Liz.

Thanks Cindy, look forward to catching up.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Mates can be XY , XX have tits or not. My wife calls female friends mate. Male friends are mate.

Mate is achieved through  a few social interactions & tests to assure someone is trustworthy and (fair dinkum).

I have female friends I call mate.I have male friends I call mate. Some people that call me mate are women & some people are men.

Mate is more than aquaintance.

Mate is a term bestowed on someone you trust.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on January 18, 2019, 04:47:42 AM
Mates can be XY , XX have tits or not. My wife calls female friends mate. Male friends are mate.

Mate is achieved through  a few social interactions & tests to assure someone is trustworthy and (fair dinkum).

I have female friends I call mate.I have male friends I call mate. Some people that call me mate are women & some people are men.

Sounds about right to me but I had a Trans girlfriend complaining about this as she had been called mate by a complete stranger(male) and she felt it was another way of being misgendered. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: LizK on January 18, 2019, 04:53:32 AM
Sounds about right to me but I had a Trans girlfriend complaining about this as she had been called mate by a complete stranger(male) and she felt it was another way of being misgendered. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Complete stranger is an issue in my humble opinion.

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

AnneK

Quote"What do you think mate"

In the dictionary sense no.  Some people refer to their spouse that way..  It's not a word I use very often, but then I'm not Australian.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Kylo

Yes. I see women using it for each other where I am.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Angela H

What about 'man'? As in, "Hey man, how you doing?"

People act like I'm being overly sensitive if I complain about this  :-\
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: LizK on January 18, 2019, 04:11:18 AM
The question I have is probably self evident but I will give it some context.

When using the term "mate" is it something you would constantly use for a female friend in lieu of her name?

Would you normally use "Mate" when referring to a male friend?

Some examples of what I mean

"What do you think mate"

"How was your day mate?"

"Well mate I have to go"

"Hi mate how are you?"

"That's great news mate"

@LizK     
Dear Liz:
To my American ears when I hear the term "Mate"...  I definitely think it is a "Male" term and definitely NOT a term to address any female anywhere and of any age ....

But of course both YOU and @Cindy for sure are in the right place (Australia) to make that distinction.

Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Julia1996

Not for Aussies. Tristan calls only guys "mate". He calls women "love". The first time he called my grandma "love" she wasn't pleased. She said " you may address me as Mrs. Anderson young man"! Lol. He has never called her love again.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Though an interesting exception is that he refers to a group of friends his "mates" even if there are females in the group. I tell you Australian is like a different language. I totally think I should get credit for being bilingual because I understand him. 😂
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Jessica

It may be, in the states if someone addresses a group of individuals, mixed or singular genders, it sometimes goes like..."how are you guys doing" or "what do you guys want to do" etc.
I does seem odd that it is that way.  One wouldn't think "guy" is directed as a feminine term, but it is sometimes.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on January 18, 2019, 04:47:42 AM

Really? That's interesting. The only Aussie female I know is Tristan's mom. She always says her friends I've never heard her say her mates. I always assumed Tristan calling guys mate was the equivalent of my brother calling guys "dude". Though he did once call my grandma dude by accident. She smacked him on the head with a wooden spoon . 😂😂 she didn't do it hard. My dad doesn't like Tyler calling him dude either. He always says "I'm your dad, not dude "!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Kylo

Go up to Yorks and you'll get called "duck" and "love" even if you're a guy.

I wouldn't get uptight about it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: LizK on January 18, 2019, 04:53:32 AM
I don't think she was being misgendered but the guy was being too familiar. On the offhand it was intended as a slight he used the word incorrectly.
  •  

MaryT

"Mate", "china" (its rhyming slang equivalent) or pal are used as greetings by friends (and occasionally cheeky strangers) to men, in my experience,  in England and Southern Africa at least.  As a reply, those words are used mostly by strangers who are trying to be amiable towards men, e.g. a taxi driver's response to a request for assistance might be "OK mate".  Towards women, "madam", "ma'am", "missus", "miss" or "love" are more likely in replies from strangers, in my experience.

The only American use of "mate" for "friend", that I have encountered, is in the song that goes "It's simply great, mate, waiting on the levee, waiting for the Robert E Lee."
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 18, 2019, 01:25:12 PM
Really? That's interesting. The only Aussie female I know is Tristan's mom. She always says her friends I've never heard her say her mates. I always assumed Tristan calling guys mate was the equivalent of my brother calling guys "dude". Though he did once call my grandma dude by accident. She smacked him on the head with a wooden spoon . [emoji23][emoji23] she didn't do it hard. My dad doesn't like Tyler calling him dude either. He always says "I'm your dad, not dude "!
Just remember Julia(mate) there are 25 million of us Australians and we are all weird!
    Kind regards, Kirsten x.

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on January 18, 2019, 04:43:03 PM
Just remember Julia(mate) there are 25 million of us Australians and we are all weird!
    Kind regards, Kirsten x.

Lol, Aussies are not weird. You are unique in a very good way.😌
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 18, 2019, 04:57:30 PM
Lol, Aussies are not weird. You are unique in a very good way.[emoji18]
Thank you.! xx.

•