Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Doing the Public Thing

Started by LauraE, May 20, 2019, 08:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LauraE

I'm mostly a closeted woman, afraid to present in public for fear of rejection and ridicule. Previously to today, I've only been Laura outside twice: once three years ago at a TG support meeting in the evening where few members of the public were present when I parked my car; and last fall when I went to a late movie with a friend, again when few people were around.

Today was different though. My Kaiser NorCal Senior Advantage policy affords me not only HRT, but now includes a variety of other services including voice therapy, FFS, and GCS. Today was my second appointment for voice therapy in Oakland, about a two hour, commute laden drive from my home. I chose today as my first, daylight public presentation mainly because I knew it would be a safe space for me. Even though I was quite worried about stares from others, I recognized that I have to push myself to expand my boundaries.

So, I dressed in something casual, nothing too showy, and applied light makeup. I know the key to passing (and I recognize that I'm not passable) is to blend into the crowd. Having arrived at the medical facility, which is 1/2 medical offices and half hospital, I walked the gauntlet between the parking garage and the first floor elevators, waiting patiently with others for the elevator to arrive, for us to enter, and for me to make the journey up to the fourth floor.

Once there, with a smaller group of patients, I was relieved with the respect paid by the counter staff and my voice therapist when she called for me later. I even surprised myself by using the women's bathroom, where I encountered other women. Was I scared? Damn right. Did I survive? Absolutely.

this was an important step for me, one we all have to make on our journey. It's only a single step and I have far to go before I'd feel comfortable "coming out", but every step counts.

Oh, and I'm really pleased with the voice therapy guidance at Kaiser.

Laura

Me, waiting for my appointment.
When you're ready, start living your truth.
That's when the magic happens.

Laura Full-Time: November 27, 2020

My FFS Journey   | One New Life to Life (my blog)  |  Should I Stay or Should I Go |   My Breast Augmentation

•  

KristySims

Look at that smile girl!  You look great Laura!  I remember the first few times I had gone out and I'll be the first to tell you that it gets better as you build confidence... I am very happy for you and you did this alone?! wow that is so inspirational! I was so chicken the first few times and even now, I have to go with my girlfriend.  I am slowly coming out of my shell and soon trial by fire as I move to 100% after next year  :o 
  •  

LauraE

Thank you Kristy. It's a challenge doing this alone, without a support network. I had hoped my ex-girlfriend would make the journey with me, but she was a bit transphobic and believed I could just turn it off. I paused it for her, hoping she'd accept me, but not all SOs can accept the challenge and be supportive.

I had made my decision last night to dress today, but when I woke up, fear pulsed through me and I chickened out. Only after I showered did I gather the nerve and pushed forward. I was lucky to choose a safe space for my first time out during the day, but I know I need to keep doing this. My immediate challenge is that no one (not neighbors, family nor friends) knows I'm trans, so I still have to thread the time needle to exit the house dressed. Today was a start.

and, BTW, you're beautiful.

Laura

My FFS Journey   | One New Life to Life (my blog)  |  Should I Stay or Should I Go |   My Breast Augmentation

•  

Maid Marion

Hi Laura,

Great to hear that you went out and braved the gauntlet to get voice therapy!

Marion
  •  

Katie

Try to remember that countless girls paved the way for you.........IT HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER to transition! EVER! People can make up 1000000 excuses for not doing whatever it is they wish for. Guess it boils down to either doing or not doing......
  •  

LauraE

Katie,

You're right. I'm quite cognizant that transitioning today is easier than it was when I first knew I was trans. Even Kaiser benefits have changed to provide FFS and GCS since I first took hormones three years ago. We're standing on the shoulders of giants, for which I'm thankful.

Laura

•  

Rayna

Way to go Laura! As others have said, it gets easier and easier. You're on a roll!
Randy
If so, then why not?
  •  

tgirlamg

Quote from: lauraelliott1951 on May 20, 2019, 08:48:01 PM
I'm mostly a closeted woman, afraid to present in public for fear of rejection and ridicule. Previously to today, I've only been Laura outside twice: once three years ago at a TG support meeting in the evening where few members of the public were present when I parked my car; and last fall when I went to a late movie with a friend, again when few people were around.

Today was different though. My Kaiser NorCal Senior Advantage policy affords me not only HRT, but now includes a variety of other services including voice therapy, FFS, and GCS. Today was my second appointment for voice therapy in Oakland, about a two hour, commute laden drive from my home. I chose today as my first, daylight public presentation mainly because I knew it would be a safe space for me. Even though I was quite worried about stares from others, I recognized that I have to push myself to expand my boundaries.

So, I dressed in something casual, nothing too showy, and applied light makeup. I know the key to passing (and I recognize that I'm not passable) is to blend into the crowd. Having arrived at the medical facility, which is 1/2 medical offices and half hospital, I walked the gauntlet between the parking garage and the first floor elevators, waiting patiently with others for the elevator to arrive, for us to enter, and for me to make the journey up to the fourth floor.

Once there, with a smaller group of patients, I was relieved with the respect paid by the counter staff and my voice therapist when she called for me later. I even surprised myself by using the women's bathroom, where I encountered other women. Was I scared? Damn right. Did I survive? Absolutely.

this was an important step for me, one we all have to make on our journey. It's only a single step and I have far to go before I'd feel comfortable "coming out", but every step counts.

Laura

Laura!!!

So glad all went well and that the services you seek are available to you dear sister!!! Congrats of the brave step forward!...  This is YOUR life... The voice of fear is always one that is present in our mind as we move into new territory and do not completely know what awaits... The trick is to not let fear get it's way and become the loudest and most dominant voice... the other voices in our head that speak of hope, dreams and amazing discoveries yet to come need their voices heard as well... let their voices be the ones to guide you forward!!! They are the most ones that will truly shape your journey!!! All shall be well 💕🙏

I am also about 2 hours from Oakland ( Monterey Bay Area)... if I could be of help along the way as you navigate the path forward, please don't hesitate to let me know! All good things to you sister!!!

Onward we go!!!

Ashley 🙋‍♀️🌻💕
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

LauraE

Quote from: tgirlamg on May 20, 2019, 10:50:35 PM
So glad all went well and that the services you seek are available to you dear sister!!! Congrats of the brave step forward!...  This is YOUR life... The voice of fear is always one that is present in our mind as we move into new territory and do not completely know what awaits... The trick is to not let fear get it's way and become the loudest and most dominant voice... the other voices in our head that speak of hope, dreams and amazing discoveries yet to come need their voices heard as well... let their voices be the ones to guide you forward!!! They are the most ones that will truly shape your journey!!! All shall be well 💕🙏
\

Ashley,
Thank you for encouragement and kind words. It's nice to hear that fear is a common denominator noise we all share, one we all have to drown out with our noise-cancelling hopes. With the voice therapy going well, I'm looking forward to my biggest challenge, flying my plane as Laura.

Laura

•  

Bea1968

That is awesome.  You go girl!
  •  

LizK

Laura

Hi Laura

Congrats on the milestone. If you read any of my earlier posts I quite simply state that I will never pass and am not bothered about it. I forgot about passing and only noticed a little while ago that I was no longer getting any misgendering and on the whole most people we very polite to me...DOH! When I look at your picture I see a woman and it may take you awhile to see her properly too. I hope this outing has given you the confidence you need that you can present yourself to the world and you will be Okay...Onwards and upwards sister!!

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Allie Jayne

Quote from: lauraelliott1951 on May 20, 2019, 10:01:23 PM
Katie,

You're right. I'm quite cognizant that transitioning today is easier than it was when I first knew I was trans. Even Kaiser benefits have changed to provide FFS and GCS since I first took hormones three years ago. We're standing on the shoulders of giants, for which I'm thankful.

Laura

Congratulations! I'm 3 years behind and you are the shoulders I'm hoping to stand on! Thank you for making it easier for those who follow!

Allie
  •  

Devlyn

There's our girl!  :) Love the smile!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Katie on May 20, 2019, 09:53:38 PM
Try to remember that countless girls paved the way for you.........IT HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER to transition! EVER! People can make up 1000000 excuses for not doing whatever it is they wish for. Guess it boils down to either doing or not doing......

Well said. +1 for this.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

KathyLauren

Laura, congratulations!  The decision to go out in public dressed as oneself is a huge one.  It is huge not only for the courage it takes to do it, but for the liberating effect it has on one's soul. 

The most significant event of my transition was the morning I spent walking around dressed as Kathy, in the downtown area of the city, waiting for an appointment.  That was the experience that taught me that I would be okay, that the bogeyman wasn't lurking around every corner, that most people are nice, and that being myself was wonderful.

It may be a single step you took, but it was a big one, and it sounds like you did it with panache.  Well done!

And you look great!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

DawnOday

It is a tough decision. It's hard for me because my wife and I have a thirty-five year relationship. I do love her but she is not the end all be all of my existence. My first wife was and she left 39 years ago after she found out I was a crossdresser or so we thought at the time. I have since come out as transgender because transgender was not a word in the 70's and 80's and have been on HRT for three years. I just came home from Esprit in Port Angeles WA. where I was my true self for over a week. Port Angeles is a small town on the straight between the US and Canada. It was my first experience getting up and putting on makeup, bra, panties, and women's clothes. When I went to bed, I wore my girlie pajamas. We even had a slumber party on the last night. I wore several of my best outfits at the fashion show they held. Yes we pranced the catwalk. So totally awesome. I also for the first time grew interested in another attendee transitioner. I never have been interested before. But, I am attracted to beauty and Danielle is gorgeous, intelligent, engaging and absolutely the nicest person. I explained to her that I am socially inept and she didn't even flinch. As I got more into our conversation I got more and more comfortable. It usually takes many encounters before I become at ease.  I was enthralled by her stories. I was also saddened by her tale of thinking about suicide. The world would be a worse place without her. I just wish I were a few years younger because I have not been so moved in a long time I would love to have her as a permanent friend to hang out with. I don't like to brag...ok yes I do, but we were the most fashion forward attendees and the first time I saw her, her aura just glowed. Badda Bing, Badda Boom.
The point I am trying to make is that it is never too late to be the person you know has been lying underneath and if you are anything like me it has always been just below the surface. Fear is a terrible thing, Cowering in a corner rather than living the one life you have is not the template for life, I would recommend. Returning to the gala and the town of Port Angeles with a population of 20,000 they opened the doors to Esprit thirty years ago. The town was fabulous. There were about 160 of us and there were no reported incidents. The hotel staff was marvelous and were so attentive and kind. We invited them to join in. The service staff that did hair makeup and nails, I now have some more lifetime friends. The mayor wrote a declaration stating how much the city appreciated Esprit. I talked to religious people who to my surprise accepted us not as Satan but as actual women. Opening doors for us etc. The townspeople showed up at our Talent Show. Which was great by the way. One of the girls was a orchestral pianist and wow, just so dang good. It was a true life changing experience. For the first time I am considering full time, and changing my ID. I may have to leave my wife and my home so I better make sure it's what I want to do. But the freedom to be me outweighs the consequences and I have made enough local friends that if I needed help there is always someone to call. When I revealed my being on the autism spectrum the outpouring of love just proved that these were not men. If you decide to do something like this be prepared for sore ribs because us transgender women are huggers. Am I a woman and will I ever be? Well my stub says "no" but my brain says  "yes", and always has. And we all know the brain is what operates the heart.  I have added a picture of me after going to the makeup room and getting my makeup done and donning the beautiful wig I found at the clothing exchange. I also found a lovely skirt and block heel sandals. I can't describe how fabulous it was to look at least twenty years younger without my grey hair. I hope you get to experience something similar. I apologize because once again I made this about me. But that's the only experiences I know. As a high functioning autistic person I can communicate subjects I have researched and have knowledge of, but small talk, in person is very difficult. Of course, I am pretty good at expressing myself in writing sans grammar and spelling as witnessed by this overly long discourse.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

LauraE

Quote from: KathyLauren on May 21, 2019, 07:35:33 AM

It may be a single step you took, but it was a big one, and it sounds like you did it with panache.  Well done!

And you look great!

Kathy,

I tend to feel the same way, that this was a tipping point in my willingness to be out in public as Laura. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to introduce her to my neighbors just yet, but I know I'll go out during the day again. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Laura

•  

LauraE

Dawn,

You're beautiful by the way. thank you for the story of your week "out". The line, "the freedom to me outweighs the consequences" resonates with me. it's why I had to break up with my girlfriend because she wouldn't accept any part of me being Laura. Compromise is possible but surrender is not.

Laura

•