Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

questions about spironolactone?

Started by mickie88, May 28, 2009, 10:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickie88

ok, i've noticed a lot of you say you docs have put you on some form of E, and some form of anti-androgen, usually spiro for short. the list i got from my friend at walmart of the $4 meds lists it as a heart health and blood pressure medication.

in my understanding, most of you on here that are taking it, i'm interpreting it to mean that it is an anti-androgen and blocks testosterone, but i am not sure because if i look up the effects of some of these medications by search and transsexual is included, i don't get the info i'm looking for. it goes the same for if i look up spiro by itself. my ex wanted to know why the docs would prescribe this med for hrt. and i would like some proper info on it for myself.

am i correct that it is used as an anti-androgen? if so, please explain how.

am i also correct in assuming that it's MOST common function is for docs to prescribe it for heart health and blood pressure?

any help is greatly appreciated, so i can realy the info to my doctor, he has swithced me to the Estradiol, so it will cost me less, but i'm not sure about any AA's yet. my ex's theory, is that he didn't see a lot of masculinity in me to begin with and may have assessed that i do not need it yet as it may lower my T too much.

does her theory sound valid?

waiting for those that can help....thanks Warrior Princess Mekayla
  •  

Janet_Girl

Spiro has a side effect of blocking testosterone.  It is used for blood pressure and as a diuretic.  We use it because of the side effects,  ;D

Janet
  •  

Flan

the amount of t "needed" is mostly a blood serum thing, (and genetics, depending on the sensitivity to androgens)
here's a nice little .gov page on spiro
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682627.html
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

MaggieB

Spiro is a very old BP med that is rarely ever prescribed nowadays because it isn't as effective to lower BP as newer meds and it has a very strong side effect to shut down Testosterone production. That is why we take it. It is getting more expensive too. While I have a prescription, I get mine overseas at a fraction of the cost in the USA. I don't need it for T lowering now but I keep taking it for my BP cause it works for me.
  •  

mickie88

i see but i'm confused on two of the side effects. it's prescribed for women with abnormal facial hair, but it also can cause hair growth on the body?? would this include the face as well? sounds like it shoots yourself in the foot? also it can deepen your voice? i really don't want that after i've worked so hard to get it where it is now, it's not perfect, but no one sirs me on the phone at all. can someone unconfuse me, please?
  •  

MaggieB

Quote from: The Only Warrior Princess Mekayla on May 28, 2009, 12:28:51 PM
i see but i'm confused on two of the side effects. it's prescribed for women with abnormal facial hair, but it also can cause hair growth on the body?? would this include the face as well? sounds like it shoots yourself in the foot? also it can deepen your voice? i really don't want that after i've worked so hard to get it where it is now, it's not perfect, but no one sirs me on the phone at all. can someone unconfuse me, please?

Since Spiro lowers Testosterone, it also lowers DHT a derivative of testosterone which causes hair to fall out i.e. baldness. The net effect is some hair growth.  It has no effect on the voice at all.  It does inhibit female hirsutism  ( beards and other male pattern hair) because Testosterone promotes male pattern hair growth in women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spironolactone

Spiro is really very common in MTF HRT. Just about every transwoman I know has been taking it. Some for years and years. 

Maggie
  •  

mickie88

so then i should highly recommend that my gyno prescribe this for me? does it cause a lot of hair to fall out? is there meds to counteract this or does it does it fix itself?
  •  

MaggieB

Quote from: The Only Warrior Princess Mekayla on May 28, 2009, 12:51:11 PM
so then i should highly recommend that my gyno prescribe this for me? does it cause a lot of hair to fall out? is there meds to counteract this or does it does it fix itself?
You won't lose any hair by taking Spiro. GG's with hirsutism do. As for asking your Doctor, I am surprised that he/she hasn't prescribed it already.  Certainly it is worth discussing it.

Maggie
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Maggie Kay on May 28, 2009, 01:05:21 PM
You won't lose any hair by taking Spiro. GG's with hirsutism do. As for asking your Doctor, I am surprised that he/she hasn't prescribed it already.  Certainly it is worth discussing it.

Maggie

Actually to be fair to the doctors, while they may be familiar with prescribing HRT to cis females, many are not familiar with prescribing the same for MtF.

-={LR}=-
Enjoy life and be happy.  You won't be back.

WARNING: This body contains nudity, sexuality, and coarse language. Viewer discretion is advised. And I tend to rub folks the wrong way cause I say it as I see it...

http://www.facebook.com/switzerstephanie
  •  

mickie88

well he acted like he had at least done some research, cuz he went over a number of ways of how medicines and surgeries could be performed. i don't have a lot of facial hair to begin with, but i don't want anymore either, and i just don't think estrogen alone is goiing to stop it or make my breasts develop like i want(hopefully). guess i will need to mention it to him when i go see him again, my next appointment is in oct. should i see him before then or wait till then? i usually don't have a problem getting an appointment, just getting someone to watch my kids...lol.
  •  

MaggieB

This is really the kind of thing that should be handled by an endocrinologist or at least a physician who specializes in transgender HRT.   And you are correct, estrogen won't stop facial hair from growing. It gets finer and does slow a bit but there are just as many hairs as before.
  •  

mickie88

the sad thing is they don't exist in my area, they are all over 2 hrs or more away in either direction of travel. i'm grateful that this dr. is at least giving it a shot. i'll probably have to get him updated on some of this so anybody else that comes after me won't have to explain so much.
  •  

Autumn

It's a potassium storing diuretic. It will make you pee more and cause your body to retain sodium. For me, maybe it's just because I am forced to drink a lot more water, but it fixed my lifelong constipation problem wonderfully. Any effects that you get from lowered testosterone will be granted by spiro.

Also I just discovered tonight that cappuccino mix has a HUGE amount of potassium in it (800+ per 100g), not a good thing considering I just drank 6 extra strong cups at Dennys. Eeergkh.
  •  

CharleneT

Just for the record ... the above poster probably meant that it "... cause your body to retain Potassium...".  You'll be dumping sodium, which is one of the reasons you'll also be craving sodium.  In some ways Spiro is a perfect little drug for MTF's, causes more hair on top and less below ;)   Also knocks out Testosterone.  Down side are the side effects, but just make sure your doc is monitoring your electrolytes etc and you should be fine.  Most only need Spiro for  a while.
  •  

Tammy Hope

So...does spiro do anything to reduce body hair in males or only in females? Which is to say, I'd love to have at least some reduction in the acreage I have to shave every other day, if it's possible.

Even if I'm not ready for E yet, knocking down some of the T wold be a coolness.
Disclaimer: due to serious injury, most of my posts are made via Dragon Dictation which sometimes butchers grammar and mis-hears my words. I'm also too lazy to closely proof-read which means some of my comments will seem strange.

http://eachvoicepub.com/PaintedPonies.php
  •  

CharleneT

Laura,

A DHT blocker like Avodart is much better at the body hair issue ;)
  •  

Tammy Hope

Quote from: CharleneT on August 02, 2009, 10:43:51 PM
Laura,

A DHT blocker like Avodart is much better at the body hair issue ;)

What ho?!
(that's old english stuff, not name calling...trying to be cute might be misunderstood lol)

the same thing that treats enlarged prostate and uninary flow issues (the latter of which I have) is also a DHT blocker?

Oh my my my...will have to look into that...

Post Merge: August 03, 2009, 02:59:11 PM

listed potential side effects...
Less serious Avodart side effects may include:

decreased libido (sex drive);

decreased amount of semen released during sex;

impotence (trouble getting or keeping an erection); or

breast tenderness or enlargement.

I'm in!!!

>:-)
Disclaimer: due to serious injury, most of my posts are made via Dragon Dictation which sometimes butchers grammar and mis-hears my words. I'm also too lazy to closely proof-read which means some of my comments will seem strange.

•  

CharleneT

ahem... bad news (other than some of the side effects) is that Avodart is pricey stuff since it is pretty new.  There is an older drug called finasteride ( Proscar or Propecia) that does similar things.  Not quite as well.
  •  

Tammy Hope

Bummer. I was hoping it was on the $4 list

I was taking Flomax when I was on medicaid but it's not on the $4 list either.

I've heard of Propecia. You are saying that's a potential DHT blocker too?

Post Merge: August 03, 2009, 03:31:16 PM

the wiki page on Propecia suggests that when DHT is blocked, E has a greater effect but also that T levels rise..would that ultimately be self defeating?

And is this also true of Spiro and the others stuff mentioned here?

•