Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Comic Books!

Started by Jester, October 27, 2009, 06:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanoramaIsland

My latest love is Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma, the same guy who created Azumanga Daioh. It's about an extremely energetic and adventurous little girl, and can best be described as a celebration of the pure joy she feels at everyday things: shopping, visiting the neighbors, going to a Shinto shrine, Dad's friend coming over. Yotsuba's sheer joy at everything never feels old, and makes me want to be a kid again.

Excerpt below reads from right to left.
  •  

Rock_chick

Have you read axe cop? It's written by a 5 year old and drawn by his 29 year old brother. It's amazing

•  

PanoramaIsland

Oh my Jesus, I just looked at it and it is amaaazing. SO COOL! Again, makes me want to go back in time and be a kid.

I'm buying my ticket for WonderCon right now! excitementexcitementexcitementexcitementexcitementexcitement
  •  

Jester

I enjoyed Yotsuba.  Though a friend of mine did that thing where they insist that you borrow their comics without consulting whether or not you'd like them, and that always turns me off of things a little bit.

Interesting note:  She's 4chan's mascot.
  •  

PanoramaIsland

Appropriately so. 4Chan is like a giant crowd of basement-dwelling, 30-something Yotsubas on crack with Asperger's, Tourette's and serious clinical depression.
  •  

Hikari

I absolutely love Takako Shimura's "Hourou Musuko" is by far one of my favourite stories as the main character is transgendered and struggling with it. I figure just about anyone here would either identify with Shuu or tatsuki. 10 volumes in and I still can't get enough.

The same mangaka does "aoi hana" and that is another decent one. Then again I love yuri, I also like Sasameki koto, I think it may be a bit better than Aoi Hana. Girlfriends and Ameiro Kouchakan Kandan are also among my favourite mangas, all of which are in the yuri genre.

Legends of Galactic Heros, Elfen Lied, Bleach, and obviously Strawberry Panic! are also all great series that I like alot, even though I probably prefer the anime of these ones (even though the anime of elfen lied was really short).

Oh, and Azumanga Daioh always makes me smile, even on the worst of days
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Jester

You forgot racist, sexist, juvenile, self-aggrandizing, intentionally offensive.....
  •  

Rock_chick

I went a little bit nuts in my local comic shop today. bought the the first volume of brian wood's demo as well as my usual standing order....mmmmmmmmm comicy goodness
  •  

Jester

I spent almost $80 at the comic store today.

Got The Boys Volume 2, my usual assortment of Marvel monthlies, a new Tank Girl comic (I know, right?), a Mass Effect comic, and Volume 1 of Haunt.

If you do not know what Haunt is, it's Robert Kirkman's writing + Todd McFarlane's character design and if you're a fan of Venom (which everyone is) then it's a must have.  That reminds me, I really have to read Battle Pope.
  •  

Rock_chick

They've been running a new tank girl strip in the 2000ad monthly...it was really good, unfortunately the rest of the damn thing was bunk so i stopped buying it.
  •  

Yukimenoko

Have read through most of Ranma 1/2, obviously.

Also read Death Note and Yotsuba.
Nowadays I read the Blackest Night / Brightest Day part of DC, but nothing else.
  •  

Rock_chick

I've started reading the Scott Pilgrim books now, which are like awesome.
  •  

jainie marlena

Quote from: Hikari on March 22, 2010, 12:57:00 AM
I absolutely love Takako Shimura's "Hourou Musuko" is by far one of my favourite stories as the main character is transgendered and struggling with it. I figure just about anyone here would either identify with Shuu or tatsuki.
Hajimema>-bleeped-<e, watashi wa Laineyjain desu. I used to collect comics growing up, but now I write stories of a superhero nature. check link below.

P.S. Marvel comics Spider- Man was my favorite. I love all superhero movies that have come in the last 15 years or so.

Maddi

Yes! I just found this now I can be my true self AND discuss comics!
<basks in awe for a moment>

Ok. Me I am HUGE into X-Men. I love the newer movies. I found online via freeware just about every X-Men comic (Title is just X-Men so I guess thats the original run) in PDF format. Just finished watching X-Men Evolution tv series on Youtube that Marvel put up.

I also am getting into Captain America too. I am new to comics, but I really like Marvel. Not much DC experience other than Batman, which I like.

Also Playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance on my PSP....awesome game.

Oh and can not forget Watchmen!
  •  

Rock_chick

Try preacher and some of the other vertigo titles.
  •  

xander

I liked pumpkinhead!!
I read the walking dead, i've read some of sandman I >-bleeped-<ING LOVE 30 DAYS OF NIGHT!!!
mmm i do like manga, uzumaki and death note are great.
  •  

xander

Quote from: Helena on May 28, 2010, 03:35:06 PM
I've started reading the Scott Pilgrim books now, which are like awesome.

OH HELL YES!

Have you played the video game?
It's and amazing modern version of river city ransom <3
  •