Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Comic Books!

Started by Jester, October 27, 2009, 06:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Does anybody here regularly comic books?  Do you buy graphic novels, manga, monthlies, or some combination?

I, personally, get mostly monthlies with the occasional graphic novel and even more occasional manga.

The monthlies I get are New Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor (Best writing in comics right now), Transformers (the old designs, not the new ones,) Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate Avengers, Ultimate Iron Wars, Hellboy, Uncanny X-Men, Aliens, Nick Fury: Agent of Nothing,  and Predator.  I read my roommate's subscriptions to Deadpool, Punisher, Moonknight, and Freddy vs Jason vs Ash.

My favourite graphic novels are Superman:Red Son, Age of Apocalypse, Transmetropolitan, The Watchmen, and y'know, all those classics.

Manga.... not often at all, but I've got some Berserk, Blood+, and Welcome to the NHK.  Oh, and Dr. Slump.
  •  

LightlyLuke

I really enjoyed the graphic novel Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. It's an honest portrayal of her growing up in a family that ran a funeral home.
  •  

r.morgan

And thus I expose my not so inner geek:  (in no particular order)
Manga:     No Bra,  Her Majesty's Dog,   Fushigi Yugi,   Absolute Boyfriend,   One Thousand and One Nights,    Ranma 1/2,   Crying Freeman,   Bastard!! (yes the double exclamation is part of the proper title :)),    High School of the Dead,   Naruto,   Ah! My Goddess,   

Comics: Spider Girl (Have not read recently - they cut her title and moved it into Spider Family compilation :(), Ultimate Spider-man, X-men and Avengers.

Graphic Novels: Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman (No! No, it belongs here! Really it does :))
  •  

Jester

I can't believe I forgot the Sandman!  Best comic book series ever!  Gave comic books the final legitimization they needed to be an actual form of art.
  •  

Silver

Well I get the new Alien comics. Working on the 30 Days of Night series (it's pretty good.)

For manga, I've got Death Note, some Shaman King (don't judge) and some Bleach. And I don't buy it but I read Soul Eater.
  •  

Jester

You should read the old Aliens comics too.  They're badass.
  •  

r.morgan

Oops I forgot about Death Note - That's a good one.
  •  

Silver

Quote from: Jester on November 07, 2009, 09:00:50 AM
You should read the old Aliens comics too.  They're badass.

Maybe I will. I'm a little disappointed by these.
  •  

kaide

I read manga, jump back and fourth between multiple different ones. read mainly comedy romances.
  •  

Jester

The Aliens comics have been running so long that Alien3 and Ressurection never happened (YAY!) and the first volume is about what happens to Hicks, Newt, and Ripley after the events of Aliens.  For some reason they change Hicks' and Newt's names.

Yeah, DeathNote is the series/manga that got me back into anime after a four year hiatus.
  •  

Luna!

I've got a whole bunch of manga, mainly shoujo... Let's see.
Just looking up, I've got: Otomen, Kashimashi, Cardcaptor Sakura, Kamichama Karin, Chobits, High School Girls, Honey and Clover, Love*Com, Yume Kira Dream Shoppe and a couple of Gundam Seed/Destiny.
At home I've got a bunch more, which I'll do my best to remember: Fruits Basket, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon (the Japanese reprint), more Gundam stuff, and a year's worth of Shoujo Beat magazines. Possibly some others.

So, yeah. Discounting Chobits, Gundam and possibly High School Girls, entirely too much shoujo. I used to be embarrassed to buy them, but not anymore! ^_^

Semi-coincidentally, Kashimashi and Otomen deal with trans-ish themes (Kashimashi straight out, Otomen's main character is a girly guy with a transsexual father and a mother who really doesn't approve), and I was also surprised to see a T-girl in Love*Com... She's not hidden or anything, but it's a bit of a plot point, so I won't give it away.
  •  

NorthWest

I love any comics with the Batman family! <3

My favorite character is Stephanie Brown, AKA Spoiler, briefly Robin, and the new Batgirl! :D The new Batgirl series is my favorite right now.

Anybody else into the Bats~?
  •  

Tammy Hope

I'm an ol DC girl, though I only occasionally get to buy anything nowdays - usually GNs.

I love the Batman titles, and the Bats/Supes team-ups.

I'm also a lifelong Legion of Superheroes fan

Particularly found of the recent Geoff Johns work in that title.

I'd love to consume the whole "Civil War" saga in the marvelverse but I think I'd have to hit the lotto to be able to afford it.
Disclaimer: due to serious injury, most of my posts are made via Dragon Dictation which sometimes butchers grammar and mis-hears my words. I'm also too lazy to closely proof-read which means some of my comments will seem strange.

http://eachvoicepub.com/PaintedPonies.php
  •  

Moira Midnigh

I've never really been into buying the monthly comics, probably because it's not such a big market in DK...but I've taken every opportunity to get them at the library!

Watchmen, Ultimate Spiderman, Uncanny X-men, Transmetropolitan, Red Son, Superman Seasons (I think that's the name), Kingdom Come and everything else I could get my hands on. And Sandman, of course! Much love to Gaiman, I own all of his books (except the graphic novels, they are nowhere to be gotten...)

Manga...hmm!

Naruto, One-Piece, Hellsing, Death Note, Gravitation, Vampire Knight, the Queen's Knight, Basara, Othello, Emma, The Demon Ororon, Nana, Kashimashi, Catwalk, World of the S&M, The Wallflower, Samurai Deeper Kyo, INVU, Her Majesty's Dog, Paris, D.N.Angel, Hack, Bleach, Chobits, Chrono Crusade, Shaman King, Full Metal Alchemist, Higurashi no Naku koro ni, Love Hina, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Paradise Kiss, Princess Ai, Cardcaptor Sakura, Fruits Basket, Ranma ½, XxxHolic...and a bunch more. Impossible to remember all the names. A lot of them are Korean, a few German (we buy most of our manga in Germany, they have a much better selection!)

Phew!

~Moi 
  •  

krisalyx

very easy i'm reading right now SEIGE which wraps up marvel's dark reign story and actually about 7 years worth of storys from avengers disembled through civil war and secret invasion as well, also blackest night from dc if you love zombies that's a great read
  •  

SarahFaceDoom

I'm reading Batman and Robin, Ultimate Spider-man, Secret Six, Blackest Night, Green Lantern/Corps, Madame Xanadu, Supergod, Doktor Sleepless, basically anything Morrison, Ellis, or Alan Moore write.  I also like Jonathan Hickman's stuff.

Yay comics!

I also make comics.  Right now I just have a few webcomics out, but I'm working on some larger books.

This is my most recent webcomic series:
http://luluki.thecomicseries.com/
  •  

Silver

Quote from: SarahFaceDoom on January 20, 2010, 02:59:49 AM
I also make comics.  Right now I just have a few webcomics out, but I'm working on some larger books.

Man, I'd love to make webcomics (well, comic books that actually get printed would be better but I'll take what I can get) I just don't think my drawing is up to par.

I tried reading your comic. . . But I just don't get it. Sorry, what's going on there?
  •  

SarahFaceDoom

Quote from: SilverFang on January 20, 2010, 03:03:16 AM

I tried reading you comic. . . But I just don't get it. Sorry, what's going on there?

It's not really a linear story.  It was put out on a weekly basis.  Each one is kind of self-contained.  It's a silent comic as well.  It's about a shamanic veterinarian and a possessed rabbit, who have surrealist adventures.
  •  

Ranktwo

Transmetropolitan, Watchmen, Death Note, and some scattered issues of Cowboy Bebop, .hack, Pokemon Diamon and Pearl, and Trigun.
  •  

PanoramaIsland

Quote from: Ranktwo on February 11, 2010, 05:01:10 AM
Transmetropolitan, Watchmen, Death Note, and some scattered issues of Cowboy Bebop, .hack, Pokemon Diamon and Pearl, and Trigun.

Yeah, I noticed your Spider Jerusalem avatar. Nice one. :D
I've been really enjoying Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield's webcomic FreakAngels. Really outstanding stuff!

I'm a comics artist myself, and a total comics nerd.
Some favorites:
Yoshihiro Tatsumi, incl. A Drifting Life and his various short works
Osamu Tezuka, esp. his later and more serious/epic works (Phoenix, Ode To Kirihito, MW)
Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics and Making Comics
Charles Burns' Black Hole
Los Bros. Hernandez' Love And Rockets stories
Maruo Suehiro, both older and newer works
Chris Ware!! God, that guy's amazing.
David Mack's Kabuki
Masamune Shirow's Appleseed and Ghost In The Shell
Katsuhiro Otomo, esp. Akira
Shintaro Kago's short pieces
Dan Clowes' David Boring - I didn't like Ghost World that much, surprisingly
Takaya Miou's shorts collections
R. Crumb! His shorts are always a trip, and I love his Book of Genesis.
Edward Gorey
Alan Moore
Jim Woodring's Frank titles
etc.

Post Merge: February 12, 2010, 07:30:20 PM

Quote from: SarahFaceDoom on January 20, 2010, 02:59:49 AM
I'm reading Batman and Robin, Ultimate Spider-man, Secret Six, Blackest Night, Green Lantern/Corps, Madame Xanadu, Supergod, Doktor Sleepless, basically anything Morrison, Ellis, or Alan Moore write.  I also like Jonathan Hickman's stuff.

Yay comics!

That is some great stuff right there.
  •