News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

FTM's and male privilege

Started by Alyssa M., December 17, 2009, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lachlann

Quote from: Jeatyn on December 20, 2009, 12:08:39 PM
I was just wondering if this was more of an issue in America, nobody ever mentions it over here in sunny  England. I've only read about it on the internet =P
I think it's more of a social issue if anything. In Canada you have equal pay for both genders, however, that wouldn't stop someone from assuming that a woman is going to eventually stop working and become a house wife or go part time and in turn women might not be as aggressive in asking. It depends on the social structure of the country or area.

For me, I find being seen as weak or unable to carry heavy objects because I was born with a female body to be rather annoying and insulting. I want to be seen as just as capable as any other guy, trans or not. Where I am, everyone opens the door for each other and helps no matter what gender they are, it's just a polite thing to do. Men are still expected to pay for their dates, but it's less so these days, and a man can also sleep with several women and be praised while a woman will do it and still be considered a 'whore'. Being aggressive as a woman will make people think you are a 'bitch' or rude while it's normal for men to be the aggressors on the same degree. Women do have benefits, I feel more protected when people think I'm a woman, but I would give it up just to feel comfortable with myself. I think women do get a lot of attention and can get what they want via appearance, however I hate being on display and objectified nor do I want to feel fragile.

There are more, but the thing is every point can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the person and the scenario. I think there are a lot of benefits by being seen as female, but there are still disadvantages too.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

Dianna

Women receive equal pay to men in professional positions or management.  I concede this was not always the case years ago.

As for 'trades' plumber, carpenter or electrician, far more dominated by men in Australia.
  •  

LordKAT

I definitely notice it both a male and as female. If you don't perhaps your not as perceptive as you could be.
  •