Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Your Surgery Letters

Started by Sarah B, February 14, 2010, 12:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah B

I have recently obtained my surgery letters from my surgeon because I'm having problems obtaining a new birth certificate with the correct gender marker (I was originally born in England) and have obtained these letters to help me get my birth certificate and final closure on that part of my life.

Only my surgeon and my original general practitioner have maintained my medical history.  My two psychologists and endocrinologist have not retained my medical records (which is good in a sense).

My question to all that have had surgery do any of you have copies of these letters and what was in them without divulging any details.  So with out any further delay here is a brief synopsis of them.

My surgeon basically had four letters that were sent to him regarding my problem they were:

• Letter from my General Practitioner that had knowledge in the area and I had my first consultation with him in February 1989.  This basically was an introduction letter and that I was seeking gender reassignment.

• Letter from my endocrinologist stating that I was concerned with my level of hormones, was a responsible person, working as a women, that I was following the dosage schedule and that he supported my two psychiatrists for gender reassignment.

• Letter from one psychiatrist to the other one and a copy of it to my surgeon, stating the correctness of our diagnosis and the appropriateness of recommending gender reassignment, that I was capable and competent and had realistic expectation from the operation and he also said that the operation would improve my quality of life.  He also recommended that the surgery be done later on this year which would closely approximate living permanently in the preferred gender.

• The final letter from my initial psychiatrist to my surgeon actually surprised me in its content (virtually nothing) and goes like this.  Sarah B was referred to me in March 89 and has been seen by her endocrinologist and her other psychiatrist, both of whom have written to you.  I believe she is suitable for gender reassignment surgery.

I had my surgery in February 1991, Just two years and I still cannot believe how quick and uneventful the journey was.  No obstacles in any shape or form.  The only hiccup? I was worried that I would not secure the payment for the surgery on the day.  But hey I got that just in time on the day of the surgery, my dearest friend of 21 years drove me over to the hospital dumped me (she is still my friend) and left me and I went in to surgery, that afternoon.  The rest they say is history.

Kind Regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
Feb 1989 Living my life as Sarah.
Feb 1989 Legally changed my name.
Mar 1989 Started hormones.
Feb 1991 Surgery.
  •  

rejennyrated

Hi Sarah

I did reply to this but I've just re-read your post and realised that I missunderstood your question. I originally thought you were saying that you had lost the original letters, which of course is the nightmare scenario under the UK legislation as currently drafted.

So I've deleted the original reply. Sorry for any confusion.

Jenny.
  •  

K8

I haven't had the surgery, but I have the two letters from psychologists stating that I am "both ready and eligible to undergo male to female genital reassignment surgery."  One, from my primary therapist, is quite detailed, covers the history of my consultation with her, my two marriages, and some other stuff.  She wrote a lot about the extent of my support system.  She wrote about how I have adapted to my new role and the prognosis for a healthy life after surgery.  She also wrote that I've followed the WPATH guidelines, etc.

The second letter concurred with the first, included a more specific psychological evaluation, and covered some of the same ground without the detailed background.

The surgeon didn't ask for any other letters.

This is the kind of information you were looking for, isn't it Sarah?

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

Sarah B

Thank you K8 for sharing.  It is interesting that your letters are detailed, but mine are very short.  I wonder how other members letters will compare.

Yes, the information given is sufficient and they give an indication of what can be written in these letters to our surgeons.

Kind regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
Feb 1991 Surgery.
  •  

FairyGirl

Dr. McGinn requires at least one of the letters follow the SOC guidelines. Here are her requirements:

http://www.drchristinemcginn.com/services/socrequirements.asp

I got this primary letter from my first therapist but she actually charged me to write it because it was so involved. My second letter from my current therapist was much shorter and basically said that she had conferred with my first therapist and concurred with the recommendation. Because the two therapists had compared notes on my case (with my written permission), Dr. McGinn told me the shorter letter would be sufficient to count as my second.

Though I live in Australia now I was born in Texas where I understand it is difficult to get a BC altered. I'd like to change my BC but it's not that big a deal since my passport will  be easily changed after surgery and is accepted as valid ID anywhere.
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Valentina

Which letters are you talking about?  The letters of recommendation or the GRS letter?

I don't have copies of "my letters of recommendation" for GRS.  My GRS surgeon kept them as proof that I was "psychologically" ready to have surgery.  I only have the original & some copies of my GRS letter (proof that I had GRS -) which was given to me by my surgeon right after I had it.  To change my BC & identity documents in my native country, I only needed my GRS letter not my letters of recommendation.
  •  

Sarah B

The three letters that I mentioned in my OP are letters of recommendation and the originals are still held 20 years later by my surgeon.  I'm very fortunate that he kept and sent me certified copies of these letters.  Letters of recommendation are:

• One from my endocrinologist to my surgeon
  • One letter from my first psychiatrists to my surgeon
  • One letter from my second psychiatrist to my surgeon

I have also in my possession two geneder reassignment surgery letters.

• One from my surgeon, which Sarah B has undergone gender reassignment surgery and that the surgery is irreversible (GRS letter)
  • One from my general practitioner, which states "I have physically examined Sarah B and has had gender reassignment surgery. (GRS letter)

I hope that this clarifies things.

Kind regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
Feb 1991 Surgery.
  •