Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Disgusting restaurant experience

Started by Cindi Jones, January 15, 2007, 10:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindi Jones

Brick and I went out to breakfast this morning.  It was Martin Luther King day and he had it off. 

We went to our favorite breakfast spot in town.  We've always liked this place. The food is good and the service is okay.

While were standing at the register paying for our meal, I heard one of the servers ask the owner in back of the register:  "But why do we have THAT as a special, George?  No one will order collard greens!"  His response was "I've been against this damn holiday for years.  The only thing King did for this country was to get shot.  Since I can't do anything else, this is what I serve as a special every Martin Luther King day in protest."

I glanced at the special board.  On it was listed: 

Cone bread
Kallard greens
Fried chicken
Watermelon

I instantly became incensed.  Most of you know me as very calm and thoughtful. But it is not good to discriminate or show bigotry in front of Cindi.  I loudly told off the owner in front of a packed house.

"How dare you show such bigotry? What makes you think you can protest this holiday which remembers a man who fought for personal rights and freedoms for ALL people by serving fried chicken and watermelon? How can you, an owner of a restaurant in our community that depends on tourism, do something so blatantly stupid?  What makes you think that MLK did nothing for this country?  You are white, sir.  And you are officially part of a minority here in California.  Think about it.  You'll be on the receiving end soon enough.  You had better hope no one remembers what you are truly like.  I intend to write a letter to the editor and to the chamber of commerce. I'm about to give you one million dollars worth of free publicity. I hope your business folds from the fallout."

I know that my face had flushed red with righteous anger. I realized that I had lost my cool and turned to face all the patrons in the restaurant. They exploded with cheering and applause.  After which, they all got up in the middle of their meals, paid, and left right behind those that had been waiting for a table.  The entire restaurant emptied in less than a couple minutes.

Now that, my friends, was a religious experience!
AMEN!

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Hazumu

;D ;D ;D ;D

I wish

I wish

I wish I were there with my video camera to document the event!  That would've been TV WORTH watching!

Way 'ta GO! Cindi!!!

For the others here, I've met Cindi in person.  She was likely heard in the toilets and in the far corners of the establishment when she gave her soliloquy.

Do follow through, and write those letters.  Hell, I'd like to see features in one of the valley newspapers on the incident.  You set an example more of us need to follow, and stood up and were counted for your beliefs and morality!

Karen
  •  

Dennis

Way to go, Cindi, I'm proud of you. Too many of us don't have the guts to speak up.

Dennis
  •  

Cindi Jones

I went to the chamber of commerce website for their address to get this letter sent off.  This restaurant is proudly touted as the business of the month!  I had to rewrite the letter.

Signed, sealed, and in the mail.  Oh... I'm still burning over this.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Brianna

Fing Aunt Cindy. That's is awesome. :) You continue to be my personal hero.

During my time in Mississippi, I was always stunned by the open racism.

Bri
  •  

LynnER

Allright Cindi!!!  *Huggles and spins around*

Its actions like that that make me proud to be an american  :D.... its not often I feel that way anymore...
When I was in the 6th grade I gave a speach on MLK Jr Day, allot of people said "but your white"  and I said, but Im still the minority here... (One of 3 white kids in my entire grade, and 9 out of the entire school)  People that dont understand discrimination will allways be a bane upon our society.... follow through and put that jerk out of buisness!!!

3 cheers for cindi!!
  •  

Laura Elizabeth Jones

:o WOW!! Now, THAT is VERY screwed up indeed. How, anyone could do something so stupid as to be such a blatant idiotic racist moron is just mind-boggling. Cindi, you did the right thing by telling that bigot off. I am very proud of you.  ;D
  •  

Jillieann Rose

That restaurant owner is sick. I would have (and I am) upset too. Still trying to wrap me mind around the though that there are still races bigots like that out there. That is one sick person.

I really like the way you handled the situation Cindi. Way to go girl.
The restarurant owner will think twice before he publicly says or does something like that again.

So do you have a new favorite breakfast spot in your town?
I'd say you have effectivly killed that bussiness.
Jillieann
  •  

Steph

I'm proud to call you friend.  There are not many who have the courage of their convictions.

Keep us posted hon.

Steph
  •  

Nikki_W

Forgive my ignorance but what's the significance of the menu items he selected?
  •  

Melissa

Way to go Cindi.  That brought some tears to my eyes.  When I was reading the menu, my jaw literally dropped.  That was awful.

Quote from: Nikki_W on January 16, 2007, 07:39:28 AM
Forgive my ignorance but what's the significance of the menu items he selected?
Realize that this is in California.  They chose dishes that are stereotypically associated with black people and purposefully misspelled them like whites used to do to make fun of blacks' speech because back when there was slavery, they had to learn from one another with no formal education.  Somebody else could probably explain better than me, but that's the gist of it.  Basically they were praising slavery.

Melissa
  •  

ChildOfTheLight

Applauded.  That shows major balls...er, guts!  ;)
  •  

Traci

I love you so much for what you did!

Kudos forever!

Kisses....
  •  

beckster

Wow, I dont think I would ever have the courage to stand up and speak out about something like that !!  But then again, when you hear something like this in person and it causes a reaction like you describe then maybe its something you dont even think about !!

Becky
xx 
  •  

Sheila

Cindi, I sure don't want to be on your bad side. WOW, what a girl. I'm clapping for you right now. You are amazing. I grew up in a very bigoted family that discriminated against blacks and others who were different. I learned the hard way that my family told a lot of lies. So I get involved in the MLK day every year. I march with everyone and meet a lot of interesting people as I walk. I hear the speaches that are old and some new. Makes me very warm and fuzzy inside.
Sheila
  •  

umop ap!sdn

•  

Suzy

Cindi,

Did it right, girl!  Keep it up.  Isn't it kinda sad when this reaction is seen as rare?  We should all be doing this.

Great job, and good example.

Kristi
  •  

Joseph

Wow, Cindi.  Not much I can add to what everyone else said.  I couldn't believe the menu items, either.  Thanks for sharing!  I have to agree with others... too many of us are apathetic about things that matter.  Way to go.

Joseph
  •  

Owen

You go girl. I am amazed by the open bigitry that still goes on. That really makes me upset and I would have been too had I been there....That should have made the news....  Your a hero to me now Cindi..BTW you look great.....

Linda Ann

Love being female :angel:
  •  

Chaunte

Cindi,

You go, girl!  I am proud of you and the stand you took!

If Dr. King was alive today, I would like to think that he would be championing for us as well.

Chaunte
  •