Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Do any of you like any foreign songs?

Started by ~RoadToTrista~, February 27, 2011, 04:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~RoadToTrista~

By foreign, I mean any song that isn't in English. If it's a song that has an English counterpart or vice versa, then choose it if you perfer it to the English version.

The song that inspired me to make this post was "Imaginate" by Wisin & Yandel.  ;D
  •  

V M

I've often heard foreign music I like... Unfortunately, I haven't often found out the tittles
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

annette

I often listen to foreign music, but I live in a foreign country.
On the radio here we get to hear songs in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Dutch.
It's nice that switching of languages.
  •  

Shang

"Corporate Logic" by Stereoliza...foreign band, English words.

Tokio Hotel is a nice band and I love their songs that are in German, though the English version is also good.

I just like music in general and have a collection of Japanese CDs and German CDs.
  •  

justmeinoz

I have a collection of Rammstein CD's that are among my favourites, which have inspired me to try and learn German.  Also like Indian and African music for the polyrythmic aspects.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

VeryGnawty

I'm a sucker for Japanese love songs, even though I don't know a lick of Japanese.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

tekla

I'm a sucker for Japanese love songs, even though I don't know a lick of Japanese.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who says that opera tends to work best when you don't know what they are really saying.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Sera

I like Yelle. There may be a few songs that I have heard that are in different languages.  Most bands I listen to are from France, but have a lot of English sucks, if not all [M83, AIR]
  •  

regan

Does Canadian count as foriegn?  :)

And I don't mean like BNL, or Nickelback, etc.  Try Widemouth Mason, 5440, that sort of thing.
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

Princess Rachel

the Xena: Warrior Princess theme tune lyrics are in Bulgarian :)

•  

JamesChristopher

I like quite a bit of Romanian (and Moldovan), Japanese, Irish, and Welsh music. And before anyone says anything, I mean folk songs sung in Irish Gaelic or Welsh, not Irish and Welsh bands who perform in English.
  •  

Evelyn

Lots of Visual Kei, j-rock, and other Japanese things. I listen to the Paris Combo, which is a french singing jazz group. I listen to some German metal, and a lot of Celtic stuff. Oh. And spanish groups with good classical guitar, but only about half of it has lyrics.
  •  

lancem27

ooo, this is a good question.

I love a LOT of Norwegian music. Kaizers Orchestra, Gåte, Skambankt, Vamp, Trang Fødsel...hm, there are many others but those are the ones that pop into mind.

That reminds me, Kaizers should have a new album out now and I totally forgot! :o
  •  

Evelyn

•  

lancem27

OMG! Another fan? :o Forgive how excited I am about to become, I only know one other girl who likes them.

What's your favourite song, Evelyn? Denne Uro is definitely up there for me as well as I Skyggen. Våken Drøm, Nok ein Sang om Havet, Månemannen...I could go on.

On an offnote, Emi Fujita covered a few vamp songs in English and really did not do too bad. Våken Drøm became "Wide Awake," Tir N'a Noir was translated, perhaps others that I don't remember. "Wide Awake" was truly fabulous, never thought Våken Drøm could ever be as beautiful or meaningful in English, but it was wonderful.

Link:
  •  

Evelyn

Beautiful translation. Thank you for linking it.
It's hard to pick a favorite song though. I like Siste Melding but i also like a lot of their stuff. Hestene star i regnet has a very cool feel to it as well... idk.  I'm not good at singling things down to "favorites" Vaken drom is beautifully enchanting. I don't know how to say everything i like here without writing like a page about it. The main male singer has a sexy voice ((well. the other singers have pretty voices too)), and i love the way they do the instrumentals.

((sorry. i don't know how to type the specialty characters for Norwegian.))
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

•  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: tekla on February 28, 2011, 08:27:19 AM
Reminds me of a friend of mine who says that opera tends to work best when you don't know what they are really saying.

That might be true.  I don't care for opera.  I think it's too much style and not enough substance.  But I've heard a few opera songs in Italian which sounded really good.

Rap is much the same way.  I don't care much for the subject matter of most rap songs.  But I like the musical style.  I'll listen to just about any rap song as long as it isn't sung in English.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

justmeinoz

I assume the title is about songs in other than your local language, otherwise I would have to say pretty much everything from the UK and USA to start with. Hell even New Zealand bands and artists would have to be counted!
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

r e m

Sigur Rós is definitely my favourite foreign band. their lead singer recently released a solo album that has some english phrases, but the vast majority of their music is in Icelandic, or doesn't have any words at all - just singing. (:

I also really like the french band, Dionysos.
  •