Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

When you help others...why does it make you feel good?

Started by Anatta, September 01, 2011, 12:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) A simple question to ponder...When you help others-why does it make you feel good ?

I don't mean "paid" work, but helping someone for no monetary reward...Just because you can see they need help...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Lisbeth

There once lived a saint so good that the angels came from heaven to see how a man could be so godly. This saint went about his daily life diffusing virtue as the stars diffuse light and the flowers scent, without being aware of it. His day could be summed up by two words -- he gave, he forgave -- yet these words never passed his lips. They were expressed in his ready smile, his kindness, forbearance, and charity.

The angels said to God, "Lord, grant him the gift of miracles."
God replied, "Ask what it is that he wishes."

They said to the saint, "Would you like the touch of your hands to heal the sick?"
"No," answered the saint. "I would rather God do that."

"Would you like to convert guilty souls and bring back wandering hearts to the right path?"
"No, that is the angels' mission. It is not for me to convert."

"Would you like to become a model of patience, attracting men by the luster of your virtues, and thus glorifying God?"

"No," replied the saint. "If men should be attracted to me, they would become estranged from God." "What is it that you desire, then?" asked the angels.

"What can I wish for?" asked the saint smiling. "That God gives me his grace; with that would I not have everything?"

The angels said, "You must ask for a miracle, or one will be forced upon you." "Very well," said the saint. "That I may do a great deal of good without ever knowing it."

The angels were perplexed. They took counsel and resolved upon the following plan: every time the saint's shadow fell behind him or to either side, so that he could not see it, it would have the power to cure disease, soothe pain, and comfort sorrow.

When the saint walked along, his shadow, thrown on the ground on either side or behind him, made arid paths green, caused withered plants to bloom, gave clear water to dried-up brooks, fresh color to pale children, and joy to unhappy men and women.

The saint simply went about his daily life diffusing virtue as the stars diffuse light and the flowers scent, without being aware of it. The people, respecting his humility, followed him silently, never speaking to him about his miracles. Soon they even forgot his name, and called him "The Holy Shadow."
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Randi

It makes us feel good because we know it is the right thing to do. And then, having done what is right, we can find satisfaction that we have made someone else's world a better place to be.

Randi
  •  

Amazon D

yes if only the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.. Thats so hard these days..
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Anatta

Quote from: Lisbeth on September 01, 2011, 06:05:00 PM
There once lived a saint so good that the angels came from heaven to see how a man could be so godly. This saint went about his daily life diffusing virtue as the stars diffuse light and the flowers scent, without being aware of it. His day could be summed up by two words -- he gave, he forgave -- yet these words never passed his lips. They were expressed in his ready smile, his kindness, forbearance, and charity.

The angels said to God, "Lord, grant him the gift of miracles."
God replied, "Ask what it is that he wishes."

They said to the saint, "Would you like the touch of your hands to heal the sick?"
"No," answered the saint. "I would rather God do that."

"Would you like to convert guilty souls and bring back wandering hearts to the right path?"
"No, that is the angels' mission. It is not for me to convert."

"Would you like to become a model of patience, attracting men by the luster of your virtues, and thus glorifying God?"

"No," replied the saint. "If men should be attracted to me, they would become estranged from God." "What is it that you desire, then?" asked the angels.

"What can I wish for?" asked the saint smiling. "That God gives me his grace; with that would I not have everything?"

The angels said, "You must ask for a miracle, or one will be forced upon you." "Very well," said the saint. "That I may do a great deal of good without ever knowing it."

The angels were perplexed. They took counsel and resolved upon the following plan: every time the saint's shadow fell behind him or to either side, so that he could not see it, it would have the power to cure disease, soothe pain, and comfort sorrow.

When the saint walked along, his shadow, thrown on the ground on either side or behind him, made arid paths green, caused withered plants to bloom, gave clear water to dried-up brooks, fresh color to pale children, and joy to unhappy men and women.

The saint simply went about his daily life diffusing virtue as the stars diffuse light and the flowers scent, without being aware of it. The people, respecting his humility, followed him silently, never speaking to him about his miracles. Soon they even forgot his name, and called him "The Holy Shadow."

Kia Ora Lisbeth,

::) Are you saying that god's heavies put the hard word on him  :icon_suspicious: "Take one of god's miracles or else!" An offer he couldn't refuse  ;) ;D

Jokes aside, was the saint's happiness a spiritual gift from a god? Or a more natural reaction in the brain that stimulates the feel-good chemicals to flow as neuroscientists believe ?

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Randi on September 01, 2011, 07:12:06 PM
It makes us feel good because we know it is the right thing to do. And then, having done what is right, we can find satisfaction that we have made someone else's world a better place to be.

Randi

Kia Ora Randi,

::) So in theory one would think, people who volunteer their services are happier[a greater sense of well being-obtaining more satisfaction with their lot in life]...

•  

Pinkfluff

Maybe it's because humans are typically a communal species and everyone helping each other is good for the whole community.
  •  

ativan

When you do something good for another, it can make them feel good.
For the time you are helping another, you are joined together.
The other persons good feelings are shared. You feel good.

Even if you are being helped, you know that your feeling good from it is being shared with them.
You feel good, they feel good. Funny how people can do this without having to give it a second thought.

Ativan
  •  

Lisbeth

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

(Matthew 6:1-4)
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) If this sense of collectiveness stimulates shared/joint happiness...What impact would helping others have on those who suffer from bouts of depression ?

Bearing in "mind" the neuroscientific findings that the brain naturally/automatically produces of a cocktail of feel-good chemicals, for both the receiver and the giver when an act of kindness is carried out ...

Science also shows that something is triggered in the brain of a depressive which for the most part tends to interrupt the flow/production of the neurotransmitter serotonin which contributes to ones depressed state...

So if one feels a bout of depression coming on, occupying ones mind by helping others should in theory help stimulate the flow of serotonin and other feel-good chemicals in the brain...

But I guess in order for this to work a person whose prone to bouts of depression should when free of depression-[prevention is better than cure so to speak] seek out some kind of volunteer work...By doing so not only does one help others[those in need] but also one learns to help oneself...

Just a thought...

BTW I'm well aware for some manic depressives, professional along with pharmaceutical help is needed, but this is not to say volunteer work wouldn't also help in some way to stimulate ones recovery... 

•  

Stephe

Quote from: Zenda on September 01, 2011, 12:36:20 AM
Kia Ora,

::) A simple question to ponder...When you help others-why does it make you feel good ?

I don't mean "paid" work, but helping someone for no monetary reward...Just because you can see they need help...

That is a tough one. I do a lot of volunteer work and help people in need around me. Yes it makes me feel good, which if part of why I do it.

I believe God is inside everyone and that God is love. So when I do loving things for others, it pleases God, which is a part of me so it makes me happy.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) My original intention for starting this thread, was more so along the lines of the "physiological" happenings in/to ones brain...

::) However if a person believes the feel good feelings they get from helping others are some kind of "reward" from a god,[more supernatural than physiological] then so be it...Each to their own beliefs I guess...

Thank you to those who have participated so far...It's interesting to see how we tend to view/see things...[how  our mind works]

•  

Stephe

Quote from: Zenda on September 02, 2011, 03:16:50 PM
::) However if a person believes the feel good feelings they get from helping others are some kind of "reward" from a god,[more supernatural than physiological] then so be it...Each to their own beliefs I guess...

Hmm not so much a "reward" but that God is part of me and doing things for others makes that part of me happy? The way you wrote it is seeing God as an external being (granting a blessing) not as a part of each of us...
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Stephe on September 02, 2011, 03:25:17 PM
Hmm not so much a "reward" but that God is part of me and doing things for others makes that part of me happy? The way you wrote it is seeing God as an external being (granting a blessing) not as a part of each of us...

Kia Ora Stephe,

::) Interesting...but if god is a part of a person and this person feels sad, does their god feel this sadness too ?   

::) Or to put it another way, what's the other part of us [the part that's not god] made up of-what makes a person whole?

::) Who is responsible for activating the god within ?

•  

Stephe

Quote from: Zenda on September 02, 2011, 06:12:01 PM
Kia Ora Stephe,

::) Interesting...but if god is a part of a person and this person feels sad, does their god feel this sadness too ?   

::) Or to put it another way, what's the other part of us [the part that's not god] made up of-what makes a person whole?

::) Who is responsible for activating the god within ?

A) Well I believe God is part of every person (God = Love) so yes God feels our happiness and our sadness.

B) Our humanity and our animal instincts etc are what makes up part of who we are as well.

C)  I have a VERY simplistic view of religion: God is Love, God/love is inside each of us. We choose whether to let this become 'activated' or not.

Another simple way of viewing this is think of God's love as light, we can either lets Gods love shine though us or we can create a shadow blocking his love from others, it's our choice.

I honestly think too many people make religion/faith way too complex. People read all the religious books too literally and miss the forest for the trees. And the whole afterlife concept is so limiting, most things I have read assume that it is an extension of what we experience now. For all I know my "afterlife" is simply the chain reaction of my influence on people/the world after I am gone.. If love is part of me and my love continues on after I am dead, then I am still alive.. That's why I don't dwell on that stuff and concentrate on how I live and treat people right now.

Back to your original topic, God's love inside us wants to be used and when we help others for no personal gain, that's showing them our inner love for them and it's why it feels good. I understand there is a chemistry and biology behind all this "feeling good" but my faith is, there is more to it than simply chemistry.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Stephe on September 02, 2011, 09:30:03 PM
A) Well I believe God is part of every person (God = Love) so yes God feels our happiness and our sadness.

B) Our humanity and our animal instincts etc are what makes up part of who we are as well.

C)  I have a VERY simplistic view of religion: God is Love, God/love is inside each of us. We choose whether to let this become 'activated' or not.

Another simple way of viewing this is think of God's love as light, we can either lets Gods love shine though us or we can create a shadow blocking his love from others, it's our choice.

I honestly think too many people make religion/faith way too complex. People read all the religious books too literally and miss the forest for the trees. And the whole afterlife concept is so limiting, most things I have read assume that it is an extension of what we experience now. For all I know my "afterlife" is simply the chain reaction of my influence on people/the world after I am gone.. If love is part of me and my love continues on after I am dead, then I am still alive.. That's why I don't dwell on that stuff and concentrate on how I live and treat people right now.

Back to your original topic, God's love inside us wants to be used and when we help others for no personal gain, that's showing them our inner love for them and it's why it feels good. I understand there is a chemistry and biology behind all this "feeling good" but my faith is, there is more to it than simply chemistry.

Kia Ora Stephe,

Thanks for your response...

::) Am I right to believe when you speak of a "god" you're referring to an energy force that's in and around all life forms ? [ life's energy force= "Chi"]...

From a Buddhist perspective, karma relates to the cosmic law of cause and effect and the impersonal law of morality [moral causation], they are intertwined, that is, one action gives birth/rise to another-things exist because other things exist[rain falls, sun shines plants grow we eat etc] and in regards to ones own actions-skilful actions give birth to wholesome results unskilful to unwholesome results...

Neuroscientists have found when carrying out experiments on humans, that certain parts of the brain tend to noticeably  "light" up when pleasant thoughts[thoughts of loving kindness] are activated, which tend to stimulate more wholesome thoughts creating a sense of well being-A similar effect to how synthetic drugs activate certain parts of an addict's brain...

::) Some might view all this as a somewhat "selfish" approach, that is, only helping others because one gets to feel good about themselves, but regardless of the how and why one is driven/motivated to do it, in the long run it helps to make the world a more friendlier place  :icon_bunch:...Plus for the depressed person to think about how to help others will take their mind off  "self" centred thoughts-the fuel that drives depression...

So even though we might see all this from different perspectives, "god or no god" the end result remains the same...

•  

Pinkfluff

Quote from: Zenda on September 02, 2011, 03:16:50 PM
Kia Ora,

::) My original intention for starting this thread, was more so along the lines of the "physiological" happenings in/to ones brain...

Thank you to those who have participated so far...It's interesting to see how we tend to view/see things...[how  our mind works]

Like many other things I think it has both a physical and a spiritual component. I'd think that it feeling good to help someone else would be good for the survival of the species, which would explain it in evolutionary terms. I do believe that it is a good and right thing to do in a spiritual sense as well. Hospitality has always been important among Heathens. Once when Thor was out traveling he came upon the cabin of a farmer (at least I think it was a farmer) who offered him lodging for the night. Thor then killed his two goats to provide a meal which he shared with the farmer and his family (Thor later brought the goats back to life). It is such a give and take exchange between two people that creates a bond, even if only for a single night, and I think that these kinds of connections are good for both the physical and spiritual/emotional health of all involved. This exchange doesn't always have to be for money or material things either. Sometimes all you may get is the knowledge that you helped someone, but that still is something.
  •  

Cindi Jones

I think that it makes me feel good because I can do something that has a positive effect on someone. It gives me interesting things to do with my free time. I make friends. Believe me, I get a whole lot more out of it than what I put in.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

V M

I enjoy helping others when I am able and it does make me feel happy... I don't feel that I really need a reason beyond that
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Amazon D

Quote from: Stephe on September 02, 2011, 09:30:03 PM

wow we think very much alike in this regard :)

God is love
love is God
We make a resting place in our hearts for god/love
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•