Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Your favorite brands and such

Started by Sam(my)I am, September 05, 2011, 12:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam(my)I am

Hey everyone, I was planning on going shopping soon and picking up some makeup and I figured I'd ask what brands/products/colors you prefer as to help me decide when in the store :)
So what do you guys prefer?
(pretty much any kind of product I'm planning on getting all kinds)
  •  

Janet_Girl

I use Dinair airbrush makeup now.  But I do like Revlon Color Stay for foundation.  Lipsticks, eye shadow, and the like I go but color, although I do generally stay with Revlon
  •  

tekla

CoverGirl for foundation and powder and some blush, Revlon for blush and eyes, Maybellene for eyes, Revlon and Lancome for lipstick
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Padma

Barry M for great colours in nail polish :).
Womandrogyne™
  •  

MarinaM

Dermablend for coverage, Revlon for the lips and brushes, and Almay eye colors for greens and blues.
  •  

Jayne

I've tried loads of nail varnish & havn't found anything that beats Rimmel pro, the brush & varnish are top quality, it goes on perfect first time & dries in under 2 minutes.
The only downside to it is that it needs topping up each day, this is partly because I scratch my excema in my sleep & when I wake up the tips of my nails have worn away & needs touching up.

Max factor pan stick is my foundation of choice (with a layer of orange lipstick underneath to cover my shadow)

For mascara I swear by No7 360, there's nothing special about the mascara but the brush is brilliant, it doesnt clump my lashes together & is great for getting into the corners without poking my eye out
  •  

JungianZoe

Revlon ColorStay oil control foundation and Covergirl oil control powder are my staples.  And yet I still have serious oil problems. :P  HRT hasn't changed that one bit.

Everything else is variable, but I primarily use Maybelline mouse blush for a tiny hint of color, Maybelline shimmer black eye shadow for my eyebrows, some form of liquid eyeliner on the top of my eyes, black pencil liner for my waterline, Covergirl waterproof mascara (for blue eyes), and Maybelline Super Stay 24-hour lipstick.

Eyeshadow on my upper lids is useless because my eyes are so deep-set.  It just comes off in no time.  That's also why I use a waterproof liquid liner on my upper lids, because anything else rubs off on my brow as well (yes, my eyeliner rubs off on my brow, that's how deep-set my eyes are).  It's still difficult because I'm so oily that my eyelids sweat even in cold weather since they're always tucked under my brow when my eyes are open.

As for lipstick, Maybelline Super Stay is the only lipstick I've had that somewhat stays on me.  Not sure how anyone else gets theirs to stay on, but every other variety of lipstick I've ever tried clumps up, flakes off, and generally looks horrible after about half an hour.  Reapplying tends to make the situation worse.  That goes for liquid lipstick and solid.
  •  

Padma

I only use nail varnish on my toes, as my fingernails are wider than they are tall, and look totally daft with paint on them. Not too bothered by this, I like having colourful toes! Barry M do a bloody great emerald...

Womandrogyne™
  •  

Sam(my)I am

thanks everyone for the replies, I ended up getting a lil of everything but I ended up getting a lot of revlon/covergirl ^^
  •  

Jayne

Quote from: Zoë Natasha on September 05, 2011, 02:13:34 PM

As for lipstick, Maybelline Super Stay is the only lipstick I've had that somewhat stays on me.  Not sure how anyone else gets theirs to stay on, but every other variety of lipstick I've ever tried clumps up, flakes off, and generally looks horrible after about half an hour.  Reapplying tends to make the situation worse.  That goes for liquid lipstick and solid.

Have you tried No 7 stayperfect? It has a clear top coat that seals the colour layer on your lips for hours.

I had your problem with most lipstick but a friend advised that I should do 3 coats, inbetween each coat you clamp a bit of tissue between your lips to take off any excess, I went to work with lipstick on this morning using this method & it lasted through a 12 hr shift
  •  

JungianZoe

Quote from: Jane on September 06, 2011, 01:34:20 PM
Have you tried No 7 stayperfect? It has a clear top coat that seals the colour layer on your lips for hours.

I had your problem with most lipstick but a friend advised that I should do 3 coats, inbetween each coat you clamp a bit of tissue between your lips to take off any excess, I went to work with lipstick on this morning using this method & it lasted through a 12 hr shift

Never tried that one! :)  But the lipstick I use (Maybelline Super Stay) has the same thing: a balm that seals everything in place.  The only problem is that the bottle doesn't last long for how much it costs, so I'm definitely on the lookout for other stuff to try.

Will have to give that three coats thing a try!  My problem is that it's usually dry or sticky by the time I get the shape I want so I wind up getting fuzzies on my lips if I try the tissue trick.  I once tried lip liners to get a good shape so that I didn't have to do it with the lipstick brush, but found my skin is so oily that after a few hours, the lip liner starts spreading, giving me a rather ghastly look.  Seriously, it makes me look like I have the lips of a 100-year old with huge dark lines spreading upward and downward.
  •  

Jayne

Quote from: Zoë Natasha on September 06, 2011, 01:42:15 PM
Never tried that one! :)  But the lipstick I use (Maybelline Super Stay) has the same thing: a balm that seals everything in place.  The only problem is that the bottle doesn't last long for how much it costs, so I'm definitely on the lookout for other stuff to try.

The No 7 stay perfect has the same problem, it costs quite a bit & doesn't last long, also it makes my lips itch & crack if I use it for several days but I get that problem with most lipsticks. It doesn't help that I get excema & work in a magazine warehouse, everyone at work is constantly using lip balm to prevent their lips from drying out.
  •  

MarinaM

I actually don't use lipstick. Cherry Chapstick is more than enough. Noticeably colored lips is something I shy away from.
  •  

JungianZoe

Quote from: EmmaM on September 07, 2011, 01:29:10 PM
I actually don't use lipstick. Cherry Chapstick is more than enough. Noticeably colored lips is something I shy away from.

My lips are as pale as the rest of my skin, so I've got to have something to complete my face or else I look like a Picasso. :laugh:

The past few days I've tried something new.  Still using the lipstick I have which is kind of plum-colored, but I'm topping it off with icy lipgloss.  It lightens the color, but creates an almost iridescent effect with a hint of sparkle.  Totally loving it! ;D
  •  

Jayne

Everything in life can be improved with a bit of sparkle, I often top off my red nail varnish with a glaze of red sparkle.
I also have a stick of red lipstick with a hint of sparkle.

Just coat me in sparkle & i'm a happy gal  :laugh:
  •  

malibukay

my favorites include, mac for eye shadows and brushes. the eye shadows have super pigments =) i dont used heavy foundation or concealer usually just some clinique. as for my lips i love nudes and tan colors, nothing too crazy sometimes a nice pink =) and my favorite nail polish has got to be essie by far. i also never go without a good illuminizer for the face, weather it is under the brows or corners of eyes.
  •  

kristin?

I'm not too experienced in the makeup department myself, but my girlfriend is a makeup aficionado (which is lucky for me), and is complimented on her eye makeup nearly every time we leave the house, the brand she uses is ELF, which stands for Eyes Lips Face, and is always the one she recommends to others, so I guess I'll do the same :p
I'll try to get some pictures with it soon as I can
"What happened happened and could not have happened any other way."
-Morpheus, The Matrix Reloaded

Formspring - somedaykristin
  •  

ZeldaHeart

Well lipstick isn't necessary, but it is fun to wear and looks nice!  Boots No.7 nude lipstick and lip liner are both good.  You can dress up your eyes a bit more if your lips are nude-colored.  It's also fun to wear a really pigmented lipstick with only mascara on the eyes. 

Lucy Minerals foundation is very good.  You can order little try-it sizes first ($1.50) so that you can, well, try it out before getting a full size.  Sadly for Lucy, the try-it size I ordered has lasted me about 8 months :(  I don't think you're supposed to keep foundation that long, though.

Pixi sheer cheek gel blush is so great (in the color "natural.)  It feels good putting something so sheer and spreadable on your face as opposed to a dusty powder.  It's not the cheapest blush, though!  In fact, it's a little expensive.   
  •  

N.Chaos

For black eyeliner, I like either Prestige (liquid) or Lumene (stick).
I don't wear lipstick anymore, but I always loved Milani. They're not ridiculously expensive, and the stuff will last.
  •  

Lexy711

Am I the only one in here who use Mac, Urban Decay, Nars, Sephora makeup?
  •