Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

New poll! - An inquiry into Gender Issues, Gender Dysphoria, and GID.

Started by Emerald, May 05, 2007, 12:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the ten items below, which one best describes you and your gender situation?

No Gender Issues/No Dysphoria - I have no gender issues, I've always been content with my gender and sex.
1 (1.3%)
Gender Variant/No Dysphoria - My gender variance is source of delight, I have no gender dysphoria.
7 (8.8%)
Mild Gender Dysphoria - I have some gender dysphoria, but it does not require a medical solution.
3 (3.8%)
Moderate Gender Dysphoria - I have gender dysphoria which can be resolved by non-surgical medical means.
5 (6.3%)
Gender Variant/Gender Dysphoria/Mild GID - I have gender related issues to be resolved with non-SRS surgical procedures.
10 (12.5%)
Substantial GID - I have significant gender issues that I choose to resolve by opting for SRS.
21 (26.3%)
Acute GID - I have unrelenting GID, obtaining SRS is an absolutely necessity to resolve my situation.
23 (28.8%)
Medically Resolved GID - I received medical/surgical attention for my gender issues, I no longer have gender dysphoria.
8 (10%)
Medically Unresolved GID - I have received all GID surgical options available to me, and I still have gender dysphoria.
0 (0%)
Self-resolved Gender Dysphoria - I had gender dysphoria and found a non-medical resolution for my gender issues.
2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Emerald

Thank you for taking part in this poll and sharing your personal experience! :icon_biggrin:
If you would like to post a response below, please let us know your gender identification - CD, FtM, MtF, Bi-gendered, Neutrois, Androgyne, etc.

-Emerald  :icon_mrgreen:
Androgyne.
I am not Trans-masculine, I am not Trans-feminine.
I am not Bigender, Neutrois or Genderqueer.
I am neither Cisgender nor Transgender.
I am of the 'gender' which existed before the creation of the binary genders.
  •  

Kimberly

QuoteAcute GID - I have unrelenting GID, obtaining SRS is an absolutely necessity to resolve my situation. - 1 (50%)

I pondered the "Substantial GID" option but I honestly can not say I have chosen this path by "opting" for surgery. *shrug* I am afraid I am one of the "do or die" types.

I am, however, at ease most of the time as I am rather good at dealing with unpleasant situations it would seem.

But uh, yeah. SRS is in my future, oh well.

Gender Identification: MtF
I suppose that is easier than girl -> boy mask -> removal of boy mask -> girl...
;)
  •  

Cindi Jones

Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

TheBattler

I am refusing to Catergories myself these days. I am on a just Al (Alan & Alice). I do not know where I will end up - I am still hoping that I will not need HRT ETC.

Al
  •  

Maebh

Good one Alice.
The choice was difficult. I hesitated a lot between 2 and 10.
Thanks to Susan's place, with the acceptance and support from my SOs, children, friends and a lot of others who are aware of my nature, over the last few years I have eventually reached a stage where I think I know who I am and am happy with and even proud of  my transgender identity. For these reasons I had to eliminate all references to dysphoria or disfunctions and voted No2.
For the moment I have found my own way to integrate and express my bi-gender identity. My male and female sides are not in conflict anymore but complement and support each others.  I do not like labels but CDism, TVism or Androginy with some She-male leaning might be the closest way to describe how its expression might best look from the outside.

HLLL&R

Maebh

•  

TheBattler

Very Interesting Maebh,

You are where I want to end up Maebh. I have always identified and been a happy male - I just need to know how well I can control my depression.

Alice
  •  

Maebh

Quote from: Alice on May 05, 2007, 06:30:15 AM
Very Interesting Maebh,

You are where I want to end up Maebh. I have always identified and been a happy male - I just need to know how well I can control my depression.

Alice

Go raibh maith agat Alice Thanks a  :icon_bunch: Alice.

Believe me depression and me go back a long way.  But I have learned a few things along the way and we are old pals now. I don't know if you can relate to them but I will share them anyway.

1. I came to realise that in my case depression was due to the lack of energy left because I used so much of it to control my anger and frustration.

2. But when I let my anger rip at the most unaproprate moment and against totaly innocent recipients, afterwards I even felt worst and guilty. I ended up hating myself for hurting the ones closer to me. So I turned it inward and felt even more depressed.

3. I then realised that even in the grip of the blackest despair this was only a transcient phase and that if I rided it I would eventualy come out at the other end. So I learned to be patient with myself and to live with it. (Bipolar?)

4. From my prison experiences I instinctively knew that the lack of light, exercise and fresh air had a huge bearing on my state of mind. So now when I feel it coming I take myself out into nature, forests, fields, mountains, rivers, sea, away from a man made world with its pressures, noises and polutions. Walking barefeet, letting the wind play with my hair, the sun, the rain or the water caressing my skin I reconnect with and fulfill a deep atavistic need . (SAD?)

5. One day, after getting in an other fight at my brother's funeral, I realised that due to my Male Corsican upbringing I could not allow myself to feel grief. Of course this was the cause of a lot of frustration and anger (Vendetta). So now I have learned to give myself permission to cry and sob when I need to. In doing so I free myself of old feelings that I had held back for so long. Also instead of denying my feelings  at least I first acknowledge them which ease the pressure a lot and if needed I can also find ways to express them in a natural and physical way. 

6. Everyday in my spiritual practice I make a point to appreciate my blessings and celebrate my achievements.

7. I don't allow others to drag me down into negativity anymore. Instead I use my wild and untamed humour to escape and lighten-up the drama.

8. I am getting better at not isolating myself. I am learning to trust and share with others, creating mutually supportive and respectful relationships and networks.

Yes, writing all of this I realise how far I have come. Still I know that it will always be a struggle. But of course I am an old (and hopefully wiser) Warrior.  Anyway, believe me there is still some quicks left in the old beast! :icon_2gun:  Life is full of challenges and never boring.

I hope some of this can be helpful. Don't give up and more importantly enjoy the journey. Go n-éirí do bhóthar leat You too will find your own way.

Hope, Light, Laughter, Love and Respect

Maebh

•  

Susan

Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Robyn

In a month I will turn 70 and be 7 years postop.  GID flew out the window on my 63rd birthday.

Emerald, it is sooooo good to 'see' you here again.  You have been missed by many.

Hugs.

Robyn
fka reikirobyn
When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •  

Wendy

Hi Emerald,

It took me a lifetime to face my issues.  Actually I though no one would have issues similar to me and no one could ever get married and have these issues.  My issues seem severe with untreatable depression for over 30 years.  However since I have not been able to talk face-to-face with people I will pick 5.

Gender Variant/Gender Dysphoria/Mild GID - I have gender related issues to be resolved with non-SRS surgical procedures.

Currently these issues are unresolved and I am withdrawing into myself.  It is more like unknown, unaccepted,  and untreated.  However I am trying to get to the last option of solving these issues with friends I will never meet.

Thanks.
W
  •  

Kendall

Intergendered Androgyne (with slight Fluidity)

Moderate Gender Dysphoria - I have gender dysphoria which can be resolved by non-surgical medical means.

I Answered this. The only surgery I would consider is if my breast size isnt large enough for me, which so far hasnt been an issue, but may eventually change.

KK
  •  

TheBattler

Quote from: Maebh on May 05, 2007, 12:49:46 PM
Quote from: Alice on May 05, 2007, 06:30:15 AM
Very Interesting Maebh,

Alice

Go raibh maith agat Alice Thanks a  :icon_bunch: Alice.

Believe me depression and me go back a long way.  But I have learned a few things along the way and we are old pals now. I don't know if you can relate to them but I will share them anyway.

I hope some of this can be helpful. Don't give up and more importantly enjoy the journey. Go n-éirí do bhóthar leat You too will find your own way.

Hope, Light, Laughter, Love and Respect

Maebh

Maebh,

I is always helpful to know what & where others have come from. This is certainly a Journey that I am on. Thankyou for your post.

Alice
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Things are continually changing so I have not voted. I only know that my gender issues are real.
Jillieann
  •  

Suzy

Quote from: Wendy on May 05, 2007, 03:17:06 PM
It took me a lifetime to face my issues.  Actually I though no one would have issues similar to me and no one could ever get married and have these issues.  My issues seem severe with untreatable depression for over 30 years.  However since I have not been able to talk face-to-face with people I will pick 5.

Currently these issues are unresolved and I am withdrawing into myself.  It is more like unknown, unaccepted,  and untreated.  However I am trying to get to the last option of solving these issues with friends I will never meet.

I echo a lot of this, and chose the same option.  For those of us still on the road to self-discovery, it would have been good to put a choice for being in flux.

Interesting poll.  Thanks.

Kristi
  •  

Kate

Acute. I'll never stop. I have 42 lost years of girlhood to reclaim, and I'll never again compromise my needs.

~Kate~
  •  

RebeccaFog

QuoteGender Variant/Gender Dysphoria/Mild GID - I have gender related issues to be resolved with non-SRS surgical procedures.

This comes closest to me right now. I think I would have liked to have seen the same option but with an indication that there may be a change in the future.

I believe that I am MTF because sometimes it hurts when I see other women and I know I am not like them. I don't think of myself as an androgyne or any of the other choices in the message you left with the poll. I never am male.
  •  

Butterfly

Acute GID - I have unrelenting GID, obtaining SRS is an absolutely necessity to resolve my situation.

I see GRS as my only solution to be free of GID.
  •  

Dryad

I entered 'Mild GID.'
Why? Because.. Ehm.. Well, I sometimes feel very odd being a male. I'm kind of bi-gendered... And that sometimes feels a bit eldritch. That, and I often long to be fully female. But as it is now, it's not as if it's a 'get fixed or die' situation.
  •  

tinkerbell

QuoteMedically Resolved GID - I received medical/surgical attention for my gender issues, I no longer have gender dysphoria

And by medically, in my case, it means SRS, HRT, and therapy.

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Kate on May 05, 2007, 09:27:36 PM
Acute. I'll never stop. I have 42 lost years of girlhood to reclaim, and I'll never again compromise my needs.

Just to clarify a bit, even though I picked "SRS is an absolutely necessity to resolve my situation..." it's not that I'm focused on SRS to solve my GID, but rather that it's a critical piece of a larger puzzle. I could as easily say, "HRT is an absolutely necessity to resolve my situation..." as well; in fact, HRT is more important to me. Still, in the end, I need, and will have, both.

~Kate~
  •