Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Parental Relationships

Started by MeghanAndrews, May 25, 2007, 09:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of your parents were you closest to growing up (until age 21)?

Father
9 (9.4%)
Mother
52 (54.2%)
Neither
24 (25%)
Both
11 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 63

MeghanAndrews

I haven't seen this posted but I'm interested in seeing the results. Who were you closer to growing up? I wanted to do growing up vs. now because I know many of us have much different relationships with our parents. It would have been cool to make this a two-part poll and see if that changed after 21 (or really, after coming out). Meghan
  •  

tinkerbell

Both of them were and still are.  :)

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

rhonda13000

Unquestionably, Mom.  :)

And this state still continues today.
  •  

Judge Yourself

That's a hard one to answer. It was invariably my dad until well puberty cause then I got dragged into 'female conversations' and my dad felt a little alienated/uncomfortable but when i got to 18/19 - present it was pretty much all my dad.
  •  

Yvonne

I was closer to my mum because due to his line of work, dad was always travelling abroad.
  •  

Pica Pica

My mood is much closer to my mum, she can listen and understand me better than anyone, I think a lot of the things I feel she has felt and stayed quiet about  :-X so not to rock any boats.

My dad and I don't understand each other at all, and there are times we barely respect each other, but most people think we are the close ones because we have very similar ways of presenting ourselves.

I feel I have total love for my parents but they regard me as such a feckless and impractical individual that they don't respect me in the slightest. If this carries on I will lose them, for I can't have self respect while I am still waiting for theirs.
  •  

InMyWrittenHeart

•  

Natkat

I been manly growing up with my mother, and had my closest bond there,
however since I transitioned I started to be more close to my dad, since his more accepting of it.
  •  

Fitz

My dad and I are closer on a lot of levels but my mom and I have a lighter and more fun relationship.

I confide more in my dad, but if I were spend a day out having fun I would probably choose to spend that day with my mom.
  •  

Joelene9

My mom.  My dad was absent during most of my childhood.
  Joelene
  •  

King Malachite

I chose both but it's strange.  While my mother was the most nurturing, growing up I felt a stronger connection to my dad.  He was (and still is) always working.  We hardly spent time together because he was so busy working.  He would even sleep through Christmas while the rest of the family were opening gifts.  He would just give the money to my mom to buy what I wanted instead of buying it for me himself.  He is also a controlling person.  However, I just naturally felt closer to him because of his less-than-stellar attitude on life and because he was "the dad".  I wanted to be just like him.  I wanted a "like father like son" relationship with him and everyone saw it and gave me crap about it. 
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

shortNsweet

I was never really close with either parent. I could get along with them but I never felt I could share personal things with them. I kinda just hid a lot at home during my high school years.
  •  

Felix

I was very close to my father (and my sister, fwiw) until I was 10 or 11.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

R3i

•  

Edge

I was closer to my dad until I was a teenager.
  •  

crazy at the coast

Neither, I was shuffled off to my grandmothers most of the time. Barely knew my mother, just a few visits here and there.
  •  

suzifrommd

I think my mother really understood what I was feeling a lot of the time. My father never had a clue and gave up trying pretty early on.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

lizagirl

I have always had a very close relationship with my mom, and even more so now after transitioning.
  •  

Nero

Total momma's boy here. Did more stuff with dad when very young though. I wanted to be him but it didn't work out that way. Ended up being a lot closer to mom, especially in my late teens. We had some tough times but have always been close.

Now, past 21, we are super close. She knows far more than any mother should ever know about her son. The ins and outs of my sex life, for instance.  :laugh:
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Lex

I've always been closer to my mom. My dad is very much a man of few words and we butted heads alot when I was younger. Since I came out to them about my transition though we have all been closer than ever and it's been great.
  •