News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Trans-woman hopes to go to Mars

Started by Anatta, May 15, 2013, 02:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

We discussed that question with Melissa Ede, who describes herself as a transgender woman, and has signed up as a contender to be selected for the Mars One mission - "failure isn't in my vocabulary", she told us before the webcast.

For her, it was about excitement and the need to explore. "How do we know it's not possible?" she asked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22360228

Would you want a "One Way" ticket to Mars ?

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

StellaB

Quote from: Kuan Yin on May 15, 2013, 02:49:46 AM
Kia Ora,

We discussed that question with Melissa Ede, who describes herself as a transgender woman,

You know you've really got to love the media haven't you? What is it with this 'who describes herself as..'? Why not just 'Melissa Ede, a transgendered woman'? Why the emphasis on the lack of acceptance by making out her identity is so weird she has to describe herself to others?

This is one of the reasons why yes, quite often I feel that I'd love to go to Mars one way if only to get away from some of the freaky stuff cisgendered people come out with when they come across someone trans.

But then a part of me feels that I wouldn't. What better opportunity is there to round up all the people who have issues with others who are different and send them off to Mars one way?

At least this way you'd kill two birds with one stone. You'd have people on Mars happy that they can finally freak out constantly over Martians and the world would be a better place for everyone else.
"The truth within me is more than the reality which surrounds me."
Constantin Stanislavski

Mistakes not only provide opportunities for learning but also make good stories.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: StellaB on May 15, 2013, 03:13:12 AM
You know you've really got to love the media haven't you? What is it with this 'who describes herself as..'? Why not just 'Melissa Ede, a transgendered woman'? Why the emphasis on the lack of acceptance by making out her identity is so weird she has to describe herself to others?

This is one of the reasons why yes, quite often I feel that I'd love to go to Mars one way if only to get away from some of the freaky stuff cisgendered people come out with when they come across someone trans.

But then a part of me feels that I wouldn't. What better opportunity is there to round up all the people who have issues with others who are different and send them off to Mars one way?

At least this way you'd kill two birds with one stone. You'd have people on Mars happy that they can finally freak out constantly over Martians and the world would be a better place for everyone else.

Kia Ora Stella,

It's quite possible this was her descriptive choice[how she saw/described herself] and the reporters just followed suit, and to give them credit they did use the 'correct' pronouns throughout the article...

I doubt the reporter/interviewer used the term 'transgender' without her permission...

I'm more interested in why she would want to leave planet earth for the red planet...

I think the young American girl makes an interesting point about the psychological effects upon a person when it sinks in that they can never return to earth...

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Venus-Castina on May 15, 2013, 07:01:50 AM
This isn't going to happen because applicants for the mars journey must be free of the need for any medication.

Kia Ora VC,

Interesting point, but what if she chooses to stop HRT, I know of some trans-women who have stopped taking hormones..

•  

Anatta

Quote from: kyh on May 15, 2013, 06:42:39 AM
I think we should explore the ocean instead :)

Kia Ora,

Aren't they already starting to do this ?

Mind you, I 'think' they should spend more time studying the mind...

•  

~RoadToTrista~

I'd love to be an astronaut, but I wouldn't want to stay there forever.
  •  

Joanna Dark

•  

StellaB

Quote from: Kuan Yin on May 15, 2013, 03:52:53 AM

It's quite possible this was her descriptive choice[how she saw/described herself] and the reporters just followed suit, and to give them credit they did use the 'correct' pronouns throughout the article...

Okay, so let's make believe she's cis, shall we?

'Melissa Ede, who described herself as a woman..'

Sound okay to you?

Great topic by the way..
"The truth within me is more than the reality which surrounds me."
Constantin Stanislavski

Mistakes not only provide opportunities for learning but also make good stories.
  •  

kyh

Quote from: StellaB on May 15, 2013, 03:48:49 PM
Okay, so let's make believe she's cis, shall we?

'Melissa Ede, who described herself as a woman..'

Sound okay to you?

Great topic by the way..

I agree, there was no need for the reporter to word it that way. Makes it seem as if being transgender is a figment of our imaginations.

:S
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

I do see your point about some media outlets and how they like to sensationalise things...

However I also think at times the media are caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to trans-people...

As we know from this forum and others like it, there are some trans-people whom whole heartedly embrace the prefix "Trans" "Transgender" or "Transsexual"-woman/man[they are out and proud]...Are up front and when talking to the media this is how they see themselves [and in some cases even if the particular topic involved has nothing to do with being trans]

So when I read the article I just took it for granted Melissa 'must' have mentioned the fact she's a "transgender-woman"[this being important to how she self identifies] hence why the interviewer described her as such as opposed to just saying Melissa Ede, etc, etc...

Now if Melissa didn't think her being transgender was of any importance why would she feel the need to disclosed this to the media ? It would have been very inconsiderate/inappropriate  of the interviewer to describe her as such without her permission/consent...

Personally I don't describe myself as a transgender woman nor a transsexual woman, both are things I had 'past' through to get to where I am today, however for convenience sake when on a forum such as this I will used the prefix just to clarify things, but in the real world it's a different story...I'm just a run of the mill female/woman...

In the long run if Melissa was not happy being portrayed as a "Transgender"-woman, I'm sure she would have mentioned it to them...

So back to the topic at hand[which was the whole point of this thread]... "A 'one way' ticket to Mars" would you take up the offer ?

•  

Anatta

•  

melissaede

Hello everyone, If anyone would like any answers on this discussion i will freely answer
  •  

kyh

Hi there! Nice to meet you Melissa :) and welcome to the forum!

Just wanted to know one thing, would you be ineligible because you're on hrt? Here's something another member posted. :)

Quote from: Venus-Castina on May 15, 2013, 07:01:50 AM
This isn't going to happen because applicants for the mars journey must be free of the need for any medication.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: melissaede on May 17, 2013, 05:28:29 PM
Hello everyone, If anyone would like any answers on this discussion i will freely answer

Kia Ora Melissa,

Welcome to Susan's...

I guess first and foremost one obvious question is "Why would you choose to go live on Mars ?"
Then...
Has space travel been one of your life long dreams ?

•  

melissaede

Hi kye and kuan . Well the question of why would I want to go ? It is not just space travelthat makes me want to do this. IIt's all about the challenges of the project to prove to myself and the world that if you put your mind to anything no matter how big the dream , we can achieve it. The question of Hrt obviously I woukd not be allowed to take it and yes I would stop it to achieve a dream as big as this. At the end of the day I'm now female. And if I'm willing to give my life to this project I am sure hrt is a small sacrifice.    Its great to see such a strong community here by tbe way
  •  

Chamillion

This would perhaps be appealing to me if I was a bit suicidal, as it would be a pretty kick-ass way to die.

I'm not ready to leave earth yet though. Heh.
;D
  •  

melissaede

Chamillion we all have our dreams,  And mine is to make a big contribution to mankind x
  •  

spacial

Quote from: melissaede on May 18, 2013, 07:57:50 AM
Chamillion we all have our dreams,  And mine is to make a big contribution to mankind x

Understand.

Be really interested in hearing how you would prepare yourself to take than final step to die.

•  

Chamillion

Quote from: melissaede on May 18, 2013, 07:57:50 AM
That's a great dream and I applaud you. Very selfless.
;D
  •  

melissaede

I don't see it as dying I see it as living forever.  The preparation is done by mars one.  And if I'm not strong enough I don't go. But in my word's I will give it every thing I have
  •