Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Where are you on the introver/extravert scale?

Started by Intertween, June 15, 2007, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where are you on the introvert/extravert scale?

I'm changing from one to the other.
12 (28.6%)
Introvert with some extravert
8 (19%)
Depends on the situation
6 (14.3%)
I'm changing from one to the other.
5 (11.9%)
Extravert with some introvert
6 (14.3%)
Solid extravert
4 (9.5%)
Neither (but I am still breathing)
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Intertween

It has struck me how many people here identify themselves as introverted. I don't know, however, if it's simply the effect of my own introversion lighting up and saying, "Another one of us.."

This interesting thread https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,5584.0.html explored the topic from the Jung - Myers-Briggs personality profile approach.

By Myers-Briggs' definition, an introvert derives energy from his or her internal world of emotions and ideas, while an extravert draws from the outside world of people and activities for spiritual sustenance.

Would you call yourself an introvert or an extravert?

(I'm not big on binaries, so I tried to supply lots of shades of gray.)

-- Sue

•  

Kate

Before transitioning... total introvert.

After transitioning... MUCH more outgoing and friendly. It's probably the #1 comment people make to me, about how different I am to talk to and work with... laughing, smiling, making jokes and telling stories. I used to come away from dealing with people fearing I didn't seem friendly or happy to see them. Now I come away wondering if I made a fool of myself talking and laughing so much, lol...

~Kate~
  •  

Buffy

Well before transition I was a definite introvert, sad,lonely and depressed. I could be the loneliest person in a room full of people as I could not relate to them or communicate. I would never start a conversation and was the geeky kid in the corner.

Transition has changed all that, I am confident, very outgoing and yes extroverted., If anyone wants a volunteer, count on me. I recently did Myers -Briggs and 16PF and came out as ESTJ. I also did MMPI and came out as a leader, which totally phased me.

So, I have gone from one extreme to another. Its amazing what you can do with a brain that is not focused on the fundemental things like Gender.

Buffy
  •  

Lisbeth

"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

ssindysmith

Ever hear the term backasswards? that was me before transitioning but like Kate said, today I am forward outgoing adventurous and a little flirty :) I just love being a woman ............ it fits me so well.
  •  

RebeccaFog

I is a changin'

i once was locked up in solitude and am now able to mingle

Maybe soon i will be able to cross over as necessary

cross back

cross
  •  

The Middle Way

according the the definition profferred, introverted, solidly

though since this thing, I have gone from quite meek and surly to utterly domineering and smiley
  •  

Keira

I'm a ENTP, this has not changed at all. Not made for an accountant's job for sure.
Extravert, hey!

•  

Seshatneferw

Somewhere between INFJ and INTP: the first two letters are very definite, but the scores for the last two are very low, and I get different letters there each time I take the test.

Nfr
Whoopee! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but it's a long one for me.
-- Pete Conrad, Apollo XII
  •  

RebeccaFog

Quote from: Tink on June 15, 2007, 10:09:40 PM
Severe introversion quickly becoming sociopathic personality disorder!  >:D  Just kidding!  ;D  Seriously, I tend to be very reserved especially among people that I don't know too well.  Once I get to know the person or persons, I'm usually more fun. :)

tink :icon_chick:

You're lucky you pointed out you were kidding. I nearly dialed 911. But, you'd have been safe anyway because I wouldn't know where to send them.
  •  

sarahb

I was definately a major introvert before starting transition. Now, however, after months on hormones and my self confidence at an all time high I am way more outgoing and extroverted. I chose "changing from one to another" and will probably choose total extrovert by the time I go full time.

I love life :)

Sarah
  •  

Keira

Extrovert, its not just about social life or being outgoing, Its mostly about how you deal with information.

A good way to know if your an introvert, or extrovert, outside any social setting is how you come to come to a conclusion on a point in a group setting.

- An extrovert, will think his position profoundly and then give a well thought off answer. It will then be very hard to move you from this position. This is very often seen in high levels engineers (my background). The answer will have a sound base from prior information, but since it doesn't incorporate
many different point of views, it will be narrowly focused.

- An extravert will launch ideas, half baked solutions, he will "think out loud", he will welcome input from al comers and can be swayed with a persuasive argument introduced while he's hashing it out. The solution is often, not as theoritically sound, but much more inclusive and as such has a better chance of being accepted by all (that its the "best" solution, may or may not enter the picture).

Of course, Extroverts will drive introverts up the walls with their constant need to talk thing out.  Extroverts will get tired by constantly trying to get the information and answers they need to feel comfortable about a decision from introverts.

•  

ChildOfTheLight

I was very introverted before the past year (before I realized I was an androgyne.)  I only had about three friends, and one of them had introduced me to the other two.  Now I have many more friends, and I'm more open to talking to them and doing things with them.  I still spend a lot of my time alone and like it that way, though.
  •  

Christo

QuoteExtravert with some introvert

I like 2 make friends.  I talk 2 much all the time :laugh:
  •  

Fer

Depends on the situation, my mood and the people.
The laws of God, the laws of man, He may keep that will and can; Not I. Let God and man decree Laws for themselves and not for me; And if my ways are not as theirs Let them mind their own affairs. - A. E. Housman
  •  

Nero

extrovert with some introvert

I'm very chatty and friendly but I have times where I retreat into a solo hermitic state (like right now) because of my discomfort with my perceived gender.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Intertween

Quote from: Lisbeth on June 15, 2007, 01:07:13 PM
Quote from: Sue on June 15, 2007, 12:55:03 PM
Myers-Briggs
Speaking of Myers-Briggs, what are you?  I'm an INTP.

Your Type is
INFP

Strength of the preferences %
Introverted   Intuitive    Feeling    Perceiving
100                12               50         11

Whoa! 100% introverted. Tucked away here in my home haven, my introversion takes over!

I took that profile at work the other day and had at least some extraversion. I can definitely believe my answers would change between work and home.

(I used to have the introvert's ideal job: Typesetting. Hide in my cubicle within my iPod headphones and chug away at my work. But now I have to be a more extraverted editor, dealing with people  :o)

-- Sue
  •  

Jeannette

~ Introvert with some extravert ~

Except with people that I've known for a long time.
  •  

Shana A

Introvert. Get me talking around people with whom I'm comfortable though, and I don't shut up  :)

zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Pica Pica

another INTP.

I am introverted by nature, but i need to mix and perform sometimes, but mostly i want to be left alone.
  •