Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I had my orchiectomy yesterday :)

Started by dj1990, August 11, 2013, 06:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj1990

Hey guys I am just so excited I had to write about it right away.

So I just had my orchiectomy yesterday(8 am) with Dr. Marc Arnkoff in Southfield, Michigan.

I heard about him from an Ashley and Cadence(I believe those are their names) who posted on this forum before.

And I have to mention right away he does not require a therapist letter or hormone usage.

The price is currently $2,500. He told me to bring my money order with me. You can tell he wants you to be sure he doesn't do it only for the money because if he did he would require the money before you arrive. I used a bank check because the bank said I can't have a money order exceeding a certain amount of money. A bank check is fine he just doesn't accept personal checks.

First of all I want to say it's amazing how good I feel. He prescribed Cephalexin 4 times daily and I also took two Acetaminophen with Codeine every four hours at first after the orchiectomy. Now I am taking it every six hours. If I continue feeling painless I will not take any more Codeine because they are strong pills and Dr Arnkoff told me to be careful with them.
I have not felt any real pain but when I felt a little coming on yesterday and this morning I just took the Codeine and it stopped.

I have never taken any female hormones or anti androgens before but when he saw my testicles he said it should be easy because of the shape and I believe also because they were small. I am so glad I ignored all the urologists here in Boston who tried to force me to take hormones for a year first.
I know some people report good effects from them but it's not for everyone and often they can have bad effects. I think it's because hormones= $$.
Nobody should be forced to take them prior to an orchiectomy.
An orchiectomy is permanent and INSTANT relief from testosterone. I was desperate to have it and thank God i found Dr Arnkoff. 

He gave me the local anesthesia shots. There were a few. I didn't count. They felt like pinches. Nothing scary.
I made an oww face during one of them but that's because I like attention.
We waited 10 minutes for them to take effect. The orchiectomy only took about 20 minutes. I did not feel anything and I watched some parts of it but I was lying down most of the time. A nurse named Sarah was also there. She was nice as well. I was nervous so I remained quiet most of the time.
Also I did not want to distract him during surgery...I would advise anybody who does it to not speak a lot during the surgery...let the doctor focus.
I know what I am talking about because he told me I am a good patient.  ;D
Most of the thoughts I had anyways started with "Hail Mary, full of grace"

At the end he leaves a tube that goes through the skin because there is a lot of blood for a while after the surgery. He explained that and told me to take it out the next morning. It's not painful when you take it out. It just slides out easily.

Before surgery I went to Walgreens and bought some depends underwear and Neosporin to apply to the stitched area after the surgery.
He of course explained this and so did the nurse. The depends underwear are used for a while because there will be a lot of blood so you have to keep changing them.

I feel so happy because as soon as the surgery was done I felt an instant relief coming on. It's hard to explain but I already feel the difference.

His office and O.R. room are in a nice location. That also made me less nervous when I arrived. There are two big glass doors and a huge area full of plants next to his office. :)
It's in a building full of other doctor's offices. The Walgreens pharmacy is right next to it. So I went and got my pills right after. It's so convenient.

I stayed at a hotel that's a 10 minute walk away form him. It's called Spring Hills. He recommended it when I called him a few weeks ago. The hotel is nice can't complain. It was three hundred something dollars for three nights. I came there Thursday afternoon. I needed time to rest from work and get mentally ready for the orchiectomy...I was kind of freaking out..if only I knew how simple it would be. There is a lot of places to eat and drink next to the hotel. Some of them are Tim Horton's,  Subway, Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds. I also ordered food in my room.

He offered me a ride back after surgery but I went to Walgreens to buy some other things too  :laugh:

I walked back to the hotel even though he told me to take a cab when I am done.

I still have the depends underwear. Only a tiny bit of blood down there. It's becoming less messy naturally.

I took my Codeine pills at noon today last time. There is no pain at all so I won't take them anymore unless I feel pain later.

And yes I went alone because I knew I would be more comfortable by myself. But I think it's smarter to bring somebody with you in case something doesn't go easy.
Like I said he knew because of my testicles it should be simple and quick. And I haven't ever had bad reactions to anesthesia or had trouble with medications.

But hmm I think that's it. I am soo happy. And I am going back to work tomorrow already although Dr. Arknoff gave me a note which says if I have to lift heavy things not to do it until the fourth day after surgery.

I took a taxi from the airport. It's a 20 minute ride to the hotel.

I also want to add that before this I called a Dr Robert Oates here in Boston. His secretary told me I need to get a therapist letter and he will perform the orchiectomy.
I was scared of flying out to have it done...like i said if only I knew how simple it was going to be with Dr Arnkoff I would have done it right way.
So I went to therapy for SIX MONTHS. Got my letter. Then I scheduled my consultation. I was thinking I was going to schedule the orchie that day.
Dr Oates comes in telling me rudely he has never done this for somebody who was not on hormones. And that I have to go on hormones for a year or more and live in a "female role" before he would do the orchiectomy. He never mentioned this before. I wasted hundreds of dollars of therapy for him.
What a jerk. And I was so disappointed that day. He wasn't willing to listen to me or the reasons I had for wanting to do it. It was just his way only.
I should have listened to the reviews online which rated him poorly. But I never imagined that would happen. I considered starting hormones but decided NO.

Also a nurse friend of mine found a urologist in the hospital I work in who said she was willing to do it if I get a Lupron shot. But then she emailed some of her urologist friends and said she changed her mind and has to follow Harry Benjamin standards. Again I was crushed because they told me I have to take hormones for a year or more first.

So getting to this orchiectomy was a big and long emotionally damaging process for me.

Thanks to Dr Arnkoff it's all over.
  •  

bethany

Hi DJ, Congratulations on having your Orchiectomy!! Sorry that the Dr in Boston gave you such a hard time about it.  :(

My Dr from the Fenway Clinic wants me to have my orchi by June of next year. Seeing I will have been on hormones for over a year by then; I should be fine with a Dr in Boston.
  •  

dj1990

Quote from: Bethany Dawn on August 11, 2013, 06:29:59 PM
Hi DJ, Congratulations on having your Orchiectomy!! Sorry that the Dr in Boston gave you such a hard time about it.  :(

My Dr from the Fenway Clinic wants me to have my orchi by June of next year. Seeing I will have been on hormones for over a year by then; I should be fine with a Dr in Boston.

Thanks and no worries you will get there.. I really felt like I was suffering and I needed instant relief. I knew an orchiectomy is permanent and hormones did not give me any comfort emotionally....I just wish they would be also be helpful to people like me and realize not everybody wants to take hormones.
  •  

bethany

I understand, I can't wait to have my orchi. I hope that the Orchiectomy gives you the relief you seek
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Ah I remember mine, back in 2009.  I really did not use the Oxy I was given for the surgery pain, just Tylenol.  The Oxy I used for my back.

I was walking the next day.

Congrats on the orchidectomy.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

vegie271

This may actually may it cheaper than the alternative in Oregon - renting a car and driving - since I would have had to had gotten a therapist and convince them to write me a letter. That always adds to the cost.

•  

dj1990

Quote from: Ms. OBrien CVT on August 11, 2013, 07:09:13 PM
Ah I remember mine, back in 2009.  I really did not use the Oxy I was given for the surgery pain, just Tylenol.  The Oxy I used for my back.

I was walking the next day.

Congrats on the orchidectomy.

Thanks  ;D

Quote from: vegie271 on August 11, 2013, 07:23:24 PM

This may actually may it cheaper than the alternative in Oregon - renting a car and driving - since I would have had to had gotten a therapist and convince them to write me a letter. That always adds to the cost.

I would definitely go for it if you are sure you want to do it.

It's been one month since my surgery. I have been off the pain killers for seven days.
I tried stopping them totally two weeks after the surgery but after skipping them for two days I started to feel a lot of pain.

Now I feel so amazing. Peaceful and happy. The littlest things excite me now. There was something about testosterone that just messed me up inside. I knew it started since I started puberty. I feel just like I did when I was a child. It's definitely turning out to be all I hoped for.
  •  

bethany

DJ, Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that you are now pain free and that the orchi gave you what you were seeking.
  •  

dj1990

Quote from: Bethany Dawn on September 07, 2013, 07:55:13 PM
DJ, Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that you are now pain free and that the orchi gave you what you were seeking.

Thanks and I hope the hormones are treating you well.
  •  

kelly_aus

Congrats!

But I hope someone has discussed with you the need for some sex hormones at some point, otherwise the risk of osteoporosis becomes very, very high..
  •  

bethany

Quote from: dj1990 on September 07, 2013, 07:59:46 PM
Thanks and I hope the hormones are treating you well.
They are indeed treating me well.
  •  

dj1990

Quote from: Kelly the Post-Trans-Rebel on September 07, 2013, 08:01:17 PM
Congrats!

But I hope someone has discussed with you the need for some sex hormones at some point, otherwise the risk of osteoporosis becomes very, very high..

Yes they have. But Dr Arnkoff also told me that if I had been on hormones my risk for blood clots would have been higher.
There are more safe ways that I can prevent osteoporosis. I definitely do not buy the whole " you need to take hormones" thing.

And I also have to mention I've been having amazing orgasms. I am not distracted by sexual thoughts though like before. I am in full control. I love it.
The orgasms are worth mentioning twice.

In the last few days I haven't had many sexual thoughts though. It definitely seems like my sexuality will die down dramatically.
I really enjoy that though.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: dj1990 on September 07, 2013, 08:11:08 PM
Yes they have. But Dr Arnkoff also told me that if I had been on hormones my risk for blood clots would have been higher.
There are more safe ways that I can prevent osteoporosis. I definitely do not buy the whole " you need to take hormones" thing.

And I also have to mention I've been having amazing orgasms. I am not distracted by sexual thoughts though like before. I am in full control. I love it.
The orgasms are worth mentioning twice.

In the last few days I haven't had many sexual thoughts though. It definitely seems like my sexuality will die down dramatically.
I really enjoy that though.

In your case, it sounds like you are quite happy without HRT. But, please don't make hormone therapy sound like it's a scam though, many of us desperately need it and are quite susceptible to statements that might be seen as verbal abuse.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

dj1990

Quote from: Beth Andrea on September 07, 2013, 08:33:17 PM
In your case, it sounds like you are quite happy without HRT. But, please don't make hormone therapy sound like it's a scam though, many of us desperately need it and are quite susceptible to statements that might be seen as verbal abuse.

I just think it should be a choice. I didn't like the risks with taking hormones and they told me that I can't have an orchiectomy. But then I found a doctor who was willing and I feel amazing.
They caused me a lot of verbal and emotional abuse. I am not saying you should not have hormones I am saying people should not be forced into them because I am doing
amazing without them. I am not willing to try them because I have been right this whole time about what's right for me and I am not willing to take the risks associated with them.
And what would I do without Dr. Arnkoff? I would have to go to Guadalajara.

•  

kelly_aus

OK, let me be more blunt..

I'm not saying this because I think all trans people should take hormones, I'm saying this because it is a serious health risk..

Without some kind of sex hormone in your body, you will end up with osteoporosis.. You might be lucky and produce enough to prevent, or you might not.. It's something you will need to monitor.

But it's your body, do to it what you will.. Just don't complain when you start getting random fractures.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC322320/
http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/27784/InTech-Osteoporosis_in_men_a_crucial_role_of_sex_hormones.pdf
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/osteoporosis/DS00128/DSECTION=risk-factors
  •  

Christine Eryn

First of all, congrats!  ;D I do have to ask, and forgive me if I'm being too personal, are you going to have SRS surgery at all? I have contemplated an orchi for years. I think it's at least a way to get an F on my drivers license at least until the day I do get SRS. I have no set date though.
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •  

CalmRage

I'm not sure if i should post here, but i second Kelly's remark.

My mother (not trans) has osteoporosis. She has to be very careful now, She broke half her spine when she fell from a miniscule height and will probably have to retire for good. One wrong movement = big problem, several fractures.

She's in that age where many women get it.
  •  

dj1990

Quote from: Christine Eryn on September 08, 2013, 02:16:51 PM
First of all, congrats!  ;D I do have to ask, and forgive me if I'm being too personal, are you going to have SRS surgery at all? I have contemplated an orchi for years. I think it's at least a way to get an F on my drivers license at least until the day I do get SRS. I have no set date though.

Nothing is too personal for me...and I've gotten in trouble for that before.  >:-)

I don't plan on having SRS. Being able to get an orchiectomy was wonderful for me...and of course now that we can change our gender with orchiectomy itself is pretty amazing. I am totally satisfied this way.
  •  

dj1990

Quote from: ZootAllures! on September 08, 2013, 02:23:54 PM
I'm not sure if i should post here, but i second Kelly's remark.

My mother (not trans) has osteoporosis. She has to be very careful now, She broke half her spine when she fell from a miniscule height and will probably have to retire for good. One wrong movement = big problem, several fractures.

She's in that age where many women get it.

Sorry to hear about that. I will keep exercising a lot and eating food that keeps bones strong. I am not convinced that taking female hormones does anything significant to prevent osteoporosis.  But I do think they increase the chance of breast cancer, stroke, heart attack and blood clots.
  •