Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Supporting LGB but not T

Started by aibeecee, September 29, 2013, 06:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos

Quote from: Tessa James on November 04, 2013, 11:22:38 PM
Thank you Chaos,

You are right on about personal experiences and I respect and agree that is what helps to shape our perspectives.  I hope I am not coming off as too preachy and I apologize if that is how it feels.  I do feel passionately about so much of this but taking things too literally may not help us understand each other.  You are clear and I agree there is no one here that can challenge your experience or know your truth like you do.  It is a very real and understandable pain to have family or anyone disrespect us.  I am sorry if you have been hurt by any of the dialogue here in this online world or in real life.
Again, thank you for saying it the way you see it and, of course I remain hopeful that healing is part of this.

Thank you for understanding and thank you for giving your personal experiences and views as well.No worries regardless.I agree that we get to understand each other and learn from each other.As they say,human perspective is wider then the sky.It broadens the mind :)
All Thing's Come With A Price...
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: Tessa James on November 04, 2013, 04:34:02 PM
Chaos I respect that you may have strong feelings about this but please recognize that you and I cannot possibly have encountered or know "most gay's"  The examples that many people have related are anecdotal but do not give us a clear view of most gay people.  I am fortunate to have a lot of friends who consider themselves somewhere within the queer/gay community.  But, I still don't know most of the gay people even in our rural community because many LGBTQ folks are firmly in the closet or have gone stealth.  Those are very personal choices and I am not faulting anyone about it.

I must also admit that I still cannot understand many transgender people and what animates their world view.  It's hard to understand myself some days and that is one of my reasons for being here with you.  Exploring and sharing our lives gives us a great opportunity to know ourselves and others better.  Testing ourselves and our responses and asking questions can provide a forum for personal growth.  I do encourage people to stretch their minds a bit and look at the bigger picture and be the change they want or need .

Marriage is a transgender issue too.  My situation is similar to another Oregon couple who are taking their case public and to the courts.  They have been married for decades and one spouse is MtF and has been through the works to get her sex marker changed to female.  This, in the eyes of the law makes them a same sex couple and their loving marriage could be declared null and void.  I don't want anyones relationship determined by a popularity test or arbitrary State laws.  We have work to do and I want the largest circle of support possible for all of us in venues from the family to the Whitehouse.

I also assure you that we transgender people are gaining new rights and recognition.  Our Oregon has enacted rules for insurance that mandate HRT for companies that provide it for natal women.  Step by step is slow but still progress and a long way from what i remember growing up in the 1950s.

I have to give kudos for this post, especially in regards to how you've seen trans people act.  At times, I've been very close minded and neglected to actually look around me and learn everything before I try to make a statement literally and figuratively.   In the end, I think those values become harder to hold on to, I know I myself have had troubles being assertive. Hormones make me want to run from a fight- not engage in one.

Anyhoo, I think the real problem is, and I recently realised this, is there aren't a lot of trans people who are willing to stand there and fight.  They're always so bent up on hiding and going stealth.  I wanted to become that someday, but now, pretty much a highlight from my break from this forum and everything else overly social.  If trans want more rights, they need to NOT go stealth.  They need to be okay with where they came from and be able to actually stand and say they're proud to be who they are.  I hate that I am trans, I really do.  But I love that I'm overcoming my struggle, the best way to use that is to take confidence toward the bigots and the hatred.

Stealth is exactly what we don't need.
Skype- Alexandria.Edelmeyer
  •  

Chaos

Quote from: Lexi Belle on November 07, 2013, 06:49:48 PM
I have to give kudos for this post, especially in regards to how you've seen trans people act.  At times, I've been very close minded and neglected to actually look around me and learn everything before I try to make a statement literally and figuratively.   In the end, I think those values become harder to hold on to, I know I myself have had troubles being assertive. Hormones make me want to run from a fight- not engage in one.

Anyhoo, I think the real problem is, and I recently realised this, is there aren't a lot of trans people who are willing to stand there and fight.  They're always so bent up on hiding and going stealth.  I wanted to become that someday, but now, pretty much a highlight from my break from this forum and everything else overly social.  If trans want more rights, they need to NOT go stealth.  They need to be okay with where they came from and be able to actually stand and say they're proud to be who they are.  I hate that I am trans, I really do.  But I love that I'm overcoming my struggle, the best way to use that is to take confidence toward the bigots and the hatred.

Stealth is exactly what we don't need.

Stealth is something different all together when it comes to supporting everything but T in LGBT.Does a personal choice mean that the LGB should or could,make the choice that T is something that needs to be removed? Stealth is on a personal level and MANY make this choice for many reasons.Im sure if the need came,they would have no issues coming out but could suffer massive back lash over it.normally the main concept of *Stealth* is to live a normal life outside of the LGBT conflict and shroud.Which i can understand and as with myself,i also plan to go stealth when the time is right.I dont feel that (unless YOU go stealth,then thats on YOU) anyone has a reason to comment on anothers personal choice,personal life or personal reasons for their fight.I understand everyones personal choices and their reasons for it and i also cheer behind those that do not go stealth and stand in the light with a sword in hand.So i think that the stealth issue should be left out.Not only is that personal but it is also not relevant to this topic.I mean you cant disconnect from something that doesnt exist.For example,if someone is stealth,then they cleary are not openly apart of the T and since this is about *Re: Supporting LGB but not T* i think its safe to say that,stealth isnt an openly debatable subject and never should be.
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: Chaos on November 07, 2013, 11:31:51 PM
Stealth is something different all together when it comes to supporting everything but T in LGBT.Does a personal choice mean that the LGB should or could,make the choice that T is something that needs to be removed? Stealth is on a personal level and MANY make this choice for many reasons.Im sure if the need came,they would have no issues coming out but could suffer massive back lash over it.normally the main concept of *Stealth* is to live a normal life outside of the LGBT conflict and shroud.Which i can understand and as with myself,i also plan to go stealth when the time is right.I dont feel that (unless YOU go stealth,then thats on YOU) anyone has a reason to comment on anothers personal choice,personal life or personal reasons for their fight.I understand everyones personal choices and their reasons for it and i also cheer behind those that do not go stealth and stand in the light with a sword in hand.So i think that the stealth issue should be left out.Not only is that personal but it is also not relevant to this topic.I mean you cant disconnect from something that doesnt exist.For example,if someone is stealth,then they cleary are not openly apart of the T and since this is about *Re: Supporting LGB but not T* i think its safe to say that,stealth isnt an openly debatable subject and never should be.

You derailed, not me.  It had perfect relevance. You chose to ignore the connection I had explicitly made.  Not going to say more.
Skype- Alexandria.Edelmeyer
  •  

Chaos

Quote from: Lexi Belle on November 08, 2013, 01:30:07 AM
You derailed, not me.  It had perfect relevance. You chose to ignore the connection I had explicitly made.  Not going to say more.

Then please,im always open to correction and respectful debate.If i somehow misunderstood or somehow ignored something,please do tell me.I may be slow but i am very open to learning.I do hope that you correct me *if its needed* but either way.Thank you :)
  •  

MaryXYX

I was at the business meeting of an LGBT helpline where I'm a volunteer last night.  The website has an LGBT heading, then talks about same sex relationships, HIV/AIDS, and all the volunteers identifying as gay or lesbian.  I've started to stir for making the "T" more than a token in the heading.  On the way out I was talking to the young woman who is taking over website maintenance.  I think she will be sympathetic because she is marginalised by the others for being bi.

I attempt to go stealth when I'm shopping or in some other setting where I won't be known personally, but not when my history is relevant.  It's tricky when I join a choir though!
  •  

Lavender

It's already been said, but yeah I guess the main cause is the fact that Trans isn't a sexual preference. Still doesn't mean it is right of course, and to be honest I didn't actually notice this until you brought it up o_o
  •