Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Existence

Started by Anatta, January 08, 2014, 04:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

KIa Ora,

Who or what is it that 'exists' ?

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Jamie D

Cogito ergo sum

I exist.
  •  

Cindy

A philosophical unsound argument
  •  

Jenna Stannis

•  

Anatta

Quote from: Jamie D on January 09, 2014, 03:09:55 AM
Cogito ergo sum

I exist.

Kia Ora Jamie,

But in what form ?

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Jill F

From whose (or what's) perspective?
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Jill F on January 09, 2014, 04:02:10 PM
From whose (or what's) perspective?

Kia Ora Jill,

The ego's...

•  

Misato

I have a consciousness that seems to exist because I am experiencing it, and right now my consciousness thinks I am in front of my computer typing a post on susans.org under the subject of Existence. But does my computer or keyboard or susans.org exist? I can't know. I have to listen to the input of my fingers and eyes so I'm sensing the world by proxy, therefore, I can't really trust the input I'm being given as proof of existence. I could be asleep right now, I could be in the Matrix. I don't really know. I also have no idea if anyone will really see this text or that any feed back I do get is coming from anyone other than myself because everything could just be a figment of my imagination.

My consciousness might not even exist I suppose, I could just be experiencing something that I understand as consciousness, somehow. So something has to exist, right?

I had an art teacher who liked to talk about this stuff and we went over it in a Philosophy class I took. Quite the thought exercise.
  •  

Emo

We all exist in a computer simulation where the "higher being" forgets turn on the regularity between human norms giving us the ability, nay, the right to act how we want to obtain inner peace through use of anything we wish.
But does our method really work?
  •  

amZo

Well, first let me say... THANK GOD FOR THOSE SUBTITLES! WOULD'VE BEEN LOST WITHOUT 'EM!

The more I learn about science, the more I'm convinced there's a creator of all of this and beyond. Everything around us is a complete illusion comprised of virtually nothing put empty space, it's more energy than matter. If you condensed the solid matter in the Empire State building, it would all fit in a tablespoon (or is it teaspoon? who care?). How can all this matter and energy spring up from nothing?

I believe when I die, I'll appear again in some unimaginable distant universe, as something else in all likelihood. Maybe a higher life form, maybe less, but hopefully a unicorn, I like unicorns.  ;)
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Misato on January 09, 2014, 11:18:17 PM
I have a consciousness that seems to exist because I am experiencing it, and right now my consciousness thinks I am in front of my computer typing a post on susans.org under the subject of Existence. But does my computer or keyboard or susans.org exist? I can't know. I have to listen to the input of my fingers and eyes so I'm sensing the world by proxy, therefore, I can't really trust the input I'm being given as proof of existence. I could be asleep right now, I could be in the Matrix. I don't really know. I also have no idea if anyone will really see this text or that any feed back I do get is coming from anyone other than myself because everything could just be a figment of my imagination.

My consciousness might not even exist I suppose, I could just be experiencing something that I understand as consciousness, somehow. So something has to exist, right?

I had an art teacher who liked to talk about this stuff and we went over it in a Philosophy class I took. Quite the thought exercise.

Kia Ora Misato,

In true reality(what's really happening in this moment) no neither 'you' nor the things you mentioned exist from their own side...They are just figments of imagination produce by the senses ...

And you my dear lady are just another ego-centric thought (produced by the interaction of two or more of the senses) that thinks it is thinking all this...just as "I" do/am...

::) Now "I" could be wrong, but right and wrong are relative... when it comes to the grand scheme of things... ;) ;D

•  

Anatta

Quote from: Emo on January 10, 2014, 12:00:00 AM
We all exist in a computer simulation where the "higher being" forgets turn on the regularity between human norms giving us the ability, nay, the right to act how we want to obtain inner peace through use of anything we wish.
But does our method really work?

Kia Ora Emo,

And perhaps the creator of the computer simulation is also computer simulated and the creator of that simulation is also a computer simulation and.....................................................................................infinitum  ;) ;D

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: Anatta on January 09, 2014, 01:36:14 PM
Kia Ora Jamie,

But in what form ?

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Philosophy-Rene-Descartes/dp/1604597402/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389334594&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=princlples+of+philosophy+decartes

Rene Descartes explains it all for you!

Ego sum res cogitans, id est dubitans, affirmans, negans, pauca intelligens, multa ignorans, volens, nolens, imaginans etiam et sentiens.

I am a rational thing, to wit a doubter, affirmer, denier, understanding little, ignorant of much, wanting, refusing, imagining and feeling.
  •  

Anatta

•  

Emo

Quote from: Anatta on January 10, 2014, 12:17:02 AM
Kia Ora Emo,

And perhaps the creator of the computer simulation is also computer simulated and the creator of that simulation is also a computer simulation and.....................................................................................infinitum  ;) ;D

By Joe, i think we've got it!
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Nikko on January 10, 2014, 12:10:46 AM
Well, first let me say... THANK GOD FOR THOSE SUBTITLES! WOULD'VE BEEN LOST WITHOUT 'EM!

The more I learn about science, the more I'm convinced there's a creator of all of this and beyond. Everything around us is a complete illusion comprised of virtually nothing put empty space, it's more energy than matter. If you condensed the solid matter in the Empire State building, it would all fit in a tablespoon (or is it teaspoon? who care?). How can all this matter and energy spring up from nothing?

I believe when I die, I'll appear again in some unimaginable distant universe, as something else in all likelihood. Maybe a higher life form, maybe less, but hopefully a unicorn, I like unicorns.  ;)

Kia Ora Nikko,

In a multi universe, you might already be a unicorn whose dreaming it is a human....

•  

Emo

Hmm...
Question?
If we dont exist, then why do we constantly have the urge to exist through keeping hunger away, loneliness at bay, and needing to sleep so we wake up the next day?
It seems we would not feel pain, anguish, or this need to be in a world that didnt exist. Am i right , or spouting insecurities across the spectrum?
  •  

Jill F

•  

amZo

Quote from: Anatta on January 10, 2014, 12:23:28 AM
Kia Ora Nikko,

In a multi universe, you might already be a unicorn whose dreaming it is a human....

Wouldn't that be cool! I do believe there are infinite instances of others almost identical to each of us out there in the multiverse, I feel very connected to those that look like me. Each direction I look in the night sky, I know my mirror image is looking back at me.  As well as the unicorns, can't leave out the unicorns.  :)
  •  

MadelineB

"I" am a meta phenomenon, the comment lines in the universe's code about itself. I am exactly as conscious as the universe is, only much smaller and sassier. I have been assigned certain powers by the architect, and by following my nature I expand those powers. I don't exist independently.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •