Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Can Trans-Christians Really Find That "Happy" Medium ?

Started by Anatta, January 17, 2014, 10:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: katiej on January 19, 2014, 02:22:24 PM
This is really important.  The historical context of and purpose for the Old Testament law is misunderstood by the vast majority of Christians. And perhaps the biggest issue they miss is that it was never meant for non-Jews.  Acts 15 confirms that following the law (including the clobber passages in Leviticus) is not important for new believers.

The really savvy Christians will know to pull out Romans 1, but it's pretty easy to knock over that argument as well.

What bothers me is that the same person who uses the abomination passages on us has no problem with eating shrimp, slandering, and his wife wearing pants...those are all listed abominations as well.  So really, those who use those passages are just cherry-picking verses to justify their world view.  Because clearly they don't follow the whole thing themselves, they only require us to conform to those few verses.

And not all Christians are like that. And if your not even a Christian why are you commenting? In no way shape or form am I trying to be rude but she asked us Trans Christians only and there you go generalizing about something you have no clue about, I can't help how I was brought up and neither can the next man, Being trans and christian is hard, You don't want anyone to judge you yet here you are judging Gods people, Not everyone agrees with thoes passages but if some do then so be it, You or anyone else can't do anything about it.... 
keep working hard and you can get anything you want.    -Aaliyah
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

I often wonder how much the "fear of burning in hell" has on the young (and I guess some older) trans-Christians  ?

I know from reading some past threads that many here don't take this threat too seriously...

I'm guessing for some who stem from the close knit religious communities where hell is a tool used to keep people in check, at times this must weigh heavily on their minds...

Is the fear of going to hell still a concern for some of you ?

Or do you simply see this as just a tool still used by some preachers to keep people in check-but has no real weight to it ?

Metta Zenda :) 
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: Anatta on January 19, 2014, 08:48:53 PM
Kia Ora,

I often wonder how much the "fear of burning in hell" has on the young (and I guess some older) trans-Christians  ?

I know from reading some past threads that many here don't take this threat too seriously...

I'm guessing for some who stem from the close knit religious communities where hell is a tool used to keep people in check, at times this must weigh heavily on their minds...

Or do you simply see this as just a tool still used by some preachers to keep people in check-but has no real weight to it ?

Metta Zenda :)

No because I believe heaven and hell are real. Do I fear it yes, But only because I'm young and I make mistakes, But far as my trans status goes, I do know that God looks at the heart. That doesn't mean keep sinning in general though
  •  

katiej

I can't speak for others, but having grown up in a fairly conservative Christian home, my experience was that hell was not a huge deterrent.  I'd say shame was always the bigger issue.  I had always wished that I was a girl, but transition never seemed possible.  Lack of information, fear of coming out, and potential loss of community were the reasons I hid.  Not unlike the reasons that hold back non-religious younger trans people too.

When it finally dawned on me that I am transgender (I'm not sure why it never occurred to me before), I did take time to study the issue in Scripture.  Also, because I plan to stay with my wife, that also makes me a lesbian.  So that was another issue I wanted to understand.  I feel as though I'm in right standing with God, but I wanted to be sure.  Also, I'm going to have to defend my decisions when I do come out.

Regardless of what hell actually is, I think that preachers who use it as a motivational tool are misguided.  Compelling someone to make a fear-based decision to avoid hell most often creates an unauthentic decision that will later be reversed when the fear has subsided.  Besides, the old-fashioned hellfire and brimstone sermons are largely a thing of the past.
"Before I do anything I ask myself would an idiot do that? And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." --Dwight Schrute
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: katiej on January 19, 2014, 09:35:00 PM
I can't speak for others, but having grown up in a fairly conservative Christian home, my experience was that hell was not a huge deterrent.  I'd say shame was always the bigger issue.  I had always wished that I was a girl, but transition never seemed possible.  Lack of information, fear of coming out, and potential loss of community were the reasons I hid.  Not unlike the reasons that hold back non-religious younger trans people too.

When it finally dawned on me that I am transgender (I'm not sure why it never occurred to me before), I did take time to study the issue in Scripture.  Also, because I plan to stay with my wife, that also makes me a lesbian.  So that was another issue I wanted to understand.  I feel as though I'm in right standing with God, but I wanted to be sure.  Also, I'm going to have to defend my decisions when I do come out.

Regardless of what hell actually is, I think that preachers who use it as a motivational tool are misguided.  Compelling someone to make a fear-based decision to avoid hell most often creates an unauthentic decision that will later be reversed when the fear has subsided.  Besides, the old-fashioned hellfire and brimstone sermons are largely a thing of the past.

Hell is real, Its not a tool and no preachers are not misguided. Come on know if you believe heaven is real then why can't hell be? I have a problem with that
  •  

Brooke777

For me, following the teachings of Christ means that if I truly repent for the sins I have committed, then I will be forgiven all of them because of the sacrifice Christ made for me.
  •  

King Malachite

In the context of my gender identity, I do not fear going to hell.  In other words, I do not believe that being transgender/transitioning will send me to hell and according to the scriptures, if I even think I need to repent of being transgender or not transition to be saved, then I'm not saved myself.  I believe in eternal security of the believer: once a person is saved, there is nothing they can do to lose their salvation (aka Once Saved Always Saved or "OSAS")

Don't get me wrong, however. I do believe that there is a literal, fiery, burning hell that is eternal, and that and hellfire sermons are something that is missing from a lot of preaching today sadly and I wish it was preached on more.  I'm all for preaching about hell and even people getting saved because of the fear of hell because that's biblical.  I just don't like it when false doctrines around hell and salvation are preached.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Declan.

I was a Christian years before my parents were; they were both atheists. They both became Christians when I was close to being a teenager. Since then, I've been to many churches (most of them conservative) and been around many Christians. I have never in my life heard anyone say that being transgender, or even transitioning, is a sin, let alone going to hell. I live in New England, so my environment may be part of that (the Christians here are usually conservative, but very rarely "extreme"). I don't know. I've read the entire Bible cover to cover a few times and have never found anything in it that came close to suggesting transitioning is sinful. I searched for the verses people use to argue that it's a sin and couldn't find anything at all.

I guess the verses about women wearing men's clothing and men wearing women's clothing could apply, but using that verse to attack trans* people would be using it out of context. There's nothing in the Bible about changing your body, either; if transitioning is a sin because "God doesn't make mistakes," getting surgery to correct a fatal defect, a cleft palate, or some other issue would be just as sinful. So would dyeing your hair or wearing make-up. I know there are people who DO think all of that is sinful, but they're an extreme minority and it's not a mainstream Christian teaching.

•  

Rina

The Bible doesn't really say anything about trans* at all, and (speaking as a Catholic) neither does my Church's doctrine. The majority of people (including the hierarchy) may of course believe Scripture and doctrine condemn transition, but that's simply not true. Actually, transition is explicitly permitted by a temporary (and "secret" - I think Rome is waiting for science before making a final call, to avoid making a decision now which will look stupid later) Church policy when therapeutically necessary. So I don't have to find a middle way; there is none.

That said, I won't be allowed to marry, and when I've had my SRS, the baptismal record won't be changed. I'll be seen as a castrated male in a canon law perspective. That may change in the future when science is more definitive, but right now, it is like it is. Which is no big deal for me personally, so I won't make a fight out of it. There are many reasons why people aren't allowed a Catholic wedding, so it's not like I'm the only one. If I end up with a partner, I'll just have to accept that I can't have everything I want. It could also be that I find I'm happy to be single; it's just impossible to know. Either way, Catholicism is about striving for perfection (something I won't even attempt to define; even within the confines of Catholic doctrine, there are more answers than individuals...), not being perfect. Those are very different things. Which is why most priests I know are also very accepting, and hesitant to condemn. This is something I wish people "on the outside" and media knew.

TL;DR: Being trans is not something I even have to reconcile with my faith, since it's not against it. The same goes for transition. Having a partner (of either gender) is more difficult, but I'll worry about that if it happens.
  •  

katiej

Quote from: Brandon on January 19, 2014, 09:38:38 PM
Hell is real, Its not a tool and no preachers are not misguided. Come on know if you believe heaven is real then why can't hell be? I have a problem with that

That's not what I said.  Hell is real, although what the Bible says about it is unclear.  I actually have studied it in depth.  There are 4 mainstream doctrines -- literal, metaphorical, conditional, and purgatorial -- that are all defensible using scripture.  The fact is that none of us knows what hell is.  But I know I want no part of it.  If you're interested in reading more, I recommend the book "Four Views on Hell."

What I have a problem with is preachers who try to scare people into accepting Christ.  Fear is a good motivator, but its effect is usually temporary.  And let's not forget 2 Timothy 1, "God has not given us a spirit of fear..."

Romans 2 says that His kindness leads to repentance.   My experience is that when someone gets a revelation of the goodness and kindness of God, then no fear-based message is necessary.  Yes, judgment is real...and there are consequences for our decisions.  "But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." (Ephesians 2:4-7)

"Before I do anything I ask myself would an idiot do that? And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." --Dwight Schrute
  •  

Rina

Quote from: katiej on January 21, 2014, 11:22:41 PMWhat I have a problem with is preachers who try to scare people into accepting Christ.  Fear is a good motivator, but its effect is usually temporary.  And let's not forget 2 Timothy 1, "God has not given us a spirit of fear..."

Indeed. Most people who grow up being scared of hell lose their faith sooner or later. Which I can understand - the heaven of the "hell preachers" is so scarcely populated, and its population seems to be made up of rather unagreeable individuals, so I'm not sure I'd want to be there if they were right :)

And while hell most certainly is a part of Christian doctrine, I don't think any of the churches has a dogma regarding the size of it. While Origen, who taught that every soul would be restored at the end of time (very simplified), was condemned a heretic, it is still permissible to hope that he was right. His error was not in hoping it may happen, but teaching that it will happen. Which is a dangerous teaching if it isn't true.

So I choose to believe that hell certainly does exist, while hoping it will be empty or emptied at the end of time. In either case, "scaring people into heaven" never really worked.
  •  

Declan.

I don't believe in hell at all personally; Judaism leaves no room for it whatsoever, and Christianity wouldn't exist without Judaism. If God really sends people to be tortured for eternity just because they don't believe in Him, I would want to go to hell too so I don't have to spend eternity with someone like that. If God didn't want me to believe that's wrong, He shouldn't have given me a conscience. Just my two cents.
  •  

Rina

Quote from: DCQ on January 22, 2014, 01:22:09 PM
I don't believe in hell at all personally; Judaism leaves no room for it whatsoever

Not entirely true. While they don't believe in hell the same way Christianity does, they do believe in gehinnom (in the NT sometimes wrongly translated to "hell"), which is described as a temporal punishment prior to taking part in the world to come, similar to the Catholic belief in purgatory.

But I've read from several Jewish sources that Judaism leaves room for gehinnom to be permanent in very rare cases. So while Judaism doesn't leave much room for eternal punishment, there definitely is room. It's just very small and tiny.

Quoteand Christianity wouldn't exist without Judaism. If God really sends people to be tortured for eternity just because they don't believe in Him, I would want to go to hell too so I don't have to spend eternity with someone like that. If God didn't want me to believe that's wrong, He shouldn't have given me a conscience. Just my two cents.

I agree regarding Judaism and Christianity; I think some Christian teachings are sometimes misunderstood by Christians (if that makes sense), since they often forget the Jewish meaning of the same concepts etc. That said, many Christian concepts are new, and if all of them were to be written off because they don't exist in Judaism, it would no longer be Christianity.

I also agree that if God sends people to eternal punishment simply for not (consciously) believing in Him, He's not a nice guy. But then that's never really been Christian doctrine either - there's a vast array of different opinions on that, most of which are acceptable within Catholic/Orthodox doctrine. The Protestant, "faith only" variety is less flexible, which is also one of the reasons I left Protestantism. People have to do something worse than not being able to believe to deserve hell. Often, lack of faith is not even their own fault. So we're very much on the same page here. Yet I don't think hell can be written off entirely; I just think its population is very small.
  •  

katiej

I come from an evangelical background, where the majority hold to  belief about hell that is mostly made up IMHO.  They talk about the "lake of fire," not realizing that those scriptures are almost always talking about the eternal place for the devil and his fallen angels.  The torment is for them...not necessarily for people. 

The Bible more often talks about destruction for wicked people.  So although I remain unsure of what I believe, I lean towards an annihilation view.  A big part of it is because of what it says in Ephesians 2... we were dead before faith in Christ made us alive.  My body was alive, and my soul (consciousness or mind) was alive, so it must mean that my spirit was dead before salvation.  And so if someone who does not experience that second birth that Jesus told Nicodemus about in John 3, how can they experience a place of spiritual torment such as the "lake of fire."  The answer is likely that they can't.
  •  

JustEmily

Love your neighbor.  Don't pass judgement.  Believe He died and came back for you.

I think that's it. 

I really don't remember anything about Him telling anyone to closely scrutinize and pass judgement on other people.  Anywhere.

That's the perversion that humans put on the message.  The twisting of words to justify hate.
I feel sorry for those who live in fear of fire and brimstone, I fear for those who preach the gospel of hate. 

Not all who wander are lost.

-JRR Tolkien
  •  

Declan.

Quote from: Rina on January 22, 2014, 02:19:32 PM
Not entirely true. While they don't believe in hell the same way Christianity does, they do believe in gehinnom (in the NT sometimes wrongly translated to "hell"), which is described as a temporal punishment prior to taking part in the world to come, similar to the Catholic belief in purgatory.

But I've read from several Jewish sources that Judaism leaves room for gehinnom to be permanent in very rare cases. So while Judaism doesn't leave much room for eternal punishment, there definitely is room. It's just very small and tiny.

I agree regarding Judaism and Christianity; I think some Christian teachings are sometimes misunderstood by Christians (if that makes sense), since they often forget the Jewish meaning of the same concepts etc. That said, many Christian concepts are new, and if all of them were to be written off because they don't exist in Judaism, it would no longer be Christianity.

I also agree that if God sends people to eternal punishment simply for not (consciously) believing in Him, He's not a nice guy. But then that's never really been Christian doctrine either - there's a vast array of different opinions on that, most of which are acceptable within Catholic/Orthodox doctrine. The Protestant, "faith only" variety is less flexible, which is also one of the reasons I left Protestantism. People have to do something worse than not being able to believe to deserve hell. Often, lack of faith is not even their own fault. So we're very much on the same page here. Yet I don't think hell can be written off entirely; I just think its population is very small.

It's still not a lake of fire and brimstone where you get stabbed with pitchforks day and night, but you're right. The idea also bothers me because, as you said, some people are really not able to believe, even if they might want to. I'm very, very Christian, but my partner is Pagan, and that's OK. He was raised Christian and was for most of his life, but he was so severely spiritually abused that he can't possibly have a relationship with God based on Christianity. When he was a Christian, he had a very twisted, messed-up perspective on God that was not healthy at all. His religion is a very healthy one, even though it's different from mine. :)

I've never studied Catholicism, so it's interesting to know it's different from the traditional Protestant view of "whoops, Grandma died before she could be a Christian, looks like it's lava pits for her!" I've been drawn to Catholicism multiple times, but every time I research their views on trans* and gay people, it seems really harsh, and the concept of "going to hell if you die in sin" is a little off-putting to me. Is that just a misconception? Even the Catholic resources I've found all say that.  :-\
  •  

katiej

Quote from: JustEmily on January 22, 2014, 11:16:54 PM
Love your neighbor.  Don't pass judgement.  Believe He died and came back for you.

I think that's it. 

I really don't remember anything about Him telling anyone to closely scrutinize and pass judgement on other people.  Anywhere.

That's the perversion that humans put on the message.  The twisting of words to justify hate.
I feel sorry for those who live in fear of fire and brimstone, I fear for those who preach the gospel of hate.

Very well said, Emily.  And you're right that Jesus was not judgmental.  He even went as far as to tell people He wasn't here to judge them.  However, His message was to repent from sin and turn to God.  He called people to a higher standard rather than condemning them.

The problem is that Christians are often well-intentioned, but they go about things the wrong way.  They think they're "speaking the truth in love."  And I've often heard people say they "care too much about someone to leave them in their sin."  They're so focused on helping people avoid sin, that they forget the love part.

Quote from: DCQ on January 22, 2014, 11:44:46 PM
I've never studied Catholicism, so it's interesting to know it's different from the traditional Protestant view of "whoops, Grandma died before she could be a Christian, looks like it's lava pits for her!" I've been drawn to Catholicism multiple times, but every time I research their views on trans* and gay people, it seems really harsh, and the concept of "going to hell if you die in sin" is a little off-putting to me. Is that just a misconception? Even the Catholic resources I've found all say that.  :-\

Catholicism teaches a purgatorial view of hell.  Dante's Inferno is a great example.  They would say that most people don't go directly to Heaven, they make a stop in purgatory for a period of time until they have atoned (been punished long enough) for their sins.  As I understand it, lighting candles in mass and praying for the saints to intervene on their behalf are ways for people to advance toward heaven more quickly.

IMO that view isn't really supported by scripture, so much as tradition and other Catholic writings.  The protestant view is that Jesus atoned for our sins on the cross, and salvation is given freely...not earned in purgatory.

And I agree with you about the "lava pits" belief that most Christians have.  I don't think that's Biblical either.
  •  

Rina

Quote from: DCQ on January 22, 2014, 11:44:46 PM
It's still not a lake of fire and brimstone where you get stabbed with pitchforks day and night, but you're right.

That lake thing isn't really the Christian idea either, but popular ideas caused by misinterpretation of Scripture.

The Catholic idea of hell (permanent separation from God), is kind of the complete "un-being" of a person. Not in an annihilative sense, though; explaining this without writing a long essay is difficult, but in short, imagine God being the source of our nature, with "nature" understood in the Aristotelian sense; our nature is what we are meant for, what we should be, what we're oriented against. Our shortcomings and wrongdoings are not part of our nature; when we lie, hurt and use people, we become less human. Salvation is becoming complete, to become what God intended us to be.

Hell is then not only the complete separation from God, but the complete undoing of our nature; we no longer have a hope of fulfilling that purpose we were created for. The people who suffer that fate chose it for themselves, by running away from that source of our being and nature. So the separation is not a punishment, but a choice made permanent. I believe few people make that choice, however.

QuoteThe idea also bothers me because, as you said, some people are really not able to believe, even if they might want to. I'm very, very Christian, but my partner is Pagan, and that's OK. He was raised Christian and was for most of his life, but he was so severely spiritually abused that he can't possibly have a relationship with God based on Christianity. When he was a Christian, he had a very twisted, messed-up perspective on God that was not healthy at all. His religion is a very healthy one, even though it's different from mine. :)

I'd say it is a misconception (sadly shared by many Catholics), but with a trace of truth. Catholicism does believe that confession of sin is necessary for salvation, but if that confession is hindered by unavailability, accidents or, even more importantly, ignorance, it does not mean that person loses his or her salvation. Basically, if you don't know, or don't understand, that something is a sin, you're not guilty of that sin. In addition, a serious sin has to be willed; if your free will is impaired (e.g. through addiction, stress, being forced to do something etc.), there is no sin.

The view on gay people is indeed not something LGB activists will ever accept, but it's more sympathetic than what you'd think from the media. I can't even count the amount of times media reports that the Pope said something, while it turns out what they quoted was taken completely out of context. My experience is that priests are very understanding toward gays, and while they can't accept gay marriage, for example, they're often far more understanding toward gay couples than toward heterosexuals who cohabitate. As a priest told me once, "heterosexual couples have a choice, gays don't".

The issue I have with the Church on homosexuality is more the fact that not all Catholics are like those priests I know, and the fact that I think the focus is wrong. The reason gay sex (not the orientation - people can't choose their attractions!) is seen as immoral, isn't the sex as such, but the fact that heterosexual marriage is seen as sacred. That sacramental marriage is between man and woman is dogma, and neither can nor will change. However, the conclusion drawn from that, namely that all sex outside marriage is wrong, and that no other kind union between people can exist, is not necessarily dogma. I think the current non-dogmatic teaching might change sometime, but not this decade. Probably not this century. If I ever end up in a relationship that is not approved by the Church, however, I will still be welcomed - I know about gay couples who are active in the Church, they just have to refrain from the Sacraments. But they're in no way excluded from the community.

Regarding trans* issues, there is no Catholic teaching. There's only a temporary policy, which actually permits transition when therapeutically needed. There are restrictions on marriage, because SRS includes castration, which would also bar a cis person from Catholic marriage. However, many "conservative" (as in, afraid of everything that's not "normal") Catholics don't know this, which means it's definitely not a dance on roses. I have met a lot of misconceptions about this. But then again, the only Catholics of that type I've encountered so far are online. I'm sure some of my acquaintances will turn out to be of that kind when I come out "publicly", but my close friends accept me for what I am. And in a parish around an hour from here, there's a trans woman who is fully accepted, and everyone knows her history. So there are nuances here not easily seen from the outside.
  •  

Declan.

Huh, thanks for the explanation. So what you're saying is that the "dying in sin" thing is only if you're willfully and deliberately in a sinful state, correct? So if you're doing something that you don't believe is sinful - such as being in a gay relationship; there are a lot of Christians who don't believe that's sinful at all and have a good argument for why it's not - you're not doomed? Just making sure I understood you, because that was the major issue I had with Catholicism. "Falling away," merely not believing, and deliberately rebelling because you want to hurt God are different to me...

Interesting to know transition is permitted when therapeutically needed. Are we forbidden to participate in the Sacraments (confirmation, etc.) even if it's deemed "therapeutically necessary," though? Is it because they think something is wrong with us that needs to be changed, or is it something else?

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this, and I apologize for having so many questions. I've been interested in Catholicism for a long time, but never really knew how to find answers to my questions.
  •  

Rina

Quote from: katiej on January 23, 2014, 12:22:46 AM
Very well said, Emily.  And you're right that Jesus was not judgmental.  He even went as far as to tell people He wasn't here to judge them.  However, His message was to repent from sin and turn to God.  He called people to a higher standard rather than condemning them.

Indeed. Having high moral standards is a good thing, and is sadly often condemned by the more liberal parts of society. But people should hold themselves to those standards, and not condemn everyone else.

QuoteThe problem is that Christians are often well-intentioned, but they go about things the wrong way.  They think they're "speaking the truth in love."  And I've often heard people say they "care too much about someone to leave them in their sin."  They're so focused on helping people avoid sin, that they forget the love part.

I agree. They are well intentioned, but sadly, their approach makes more harm than good. They also don't always have the most... well-educated understanding of moral theology.

QuoteCatholicism teaches a purgatorial view of hell.  Dante's Inferno is a great example.  They would say that most people don't go directly to Heaven, they make a stop in purgatory for a period of time until they have atoned (been punished long enough) for their sins.  As I understand it, lighting candles in mass and praying for the saints to intervene on their behalf are ways for people to advance toward heaven more quickly.

Partly correct, but purgatory and hell are two different fates in Catholicism. Hell is always permanent, and reserved for those who reject God. I described that teaching in the post above. I believe few people suffer that fate, since few people really reject God. They reject false notions of God, which is something different.

While hell is the eternal punishment for sin (understood as rejecting God), Purgatory is the temporal punishment for the effects of sin. A good metaphor would be that someone chopped of their arm, which caused arterial bleeding. A doctor stepped in and stopped the bleeding, so the person didn't die. That's comparable to the forgiveness of sin. In baptism and confession, the arterial bleed is stopped.

However, in this particular case, the nerve endings were too damaged to reattach the arm. So the person lacks something, isn't complete. That is the temporal effect of sin; they make us unfulfilled as persons. Purgatory can be likened to growing the arm back out again. It is a cleansing, making the person complete. In some ways, it can be likened to the Buddhist teaching about Karma - our actions have consequences. Purgatory is such a consequence.

Prayers for the dead (which is really what the candles, Requiem Mass etc are about) is more difficult to understand in our individualistic age, but it stems from the belief that we can help each other grow in holiness as a community. So when we pray for the souls in purgatory, we join our penance to theirs. It's a bit like helping your friend paint a wall he or she was caught tagging.

QuoteIMO that view isn't really supported by scripture, so much as tradition and other Catholic writings.  The protestant view is that Jesus atoned for our sins on the cross, and salvation is given freely...not earned in purgatory.

There is support in Scripture, but it is indeed scarce. One example is 1 Cor 3:15: "If any man' s work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire."

Another example is 2 Macc 12:43: "And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection"

The books of Macchabees is not part of the Protestant Canon, though, but then again that touches upon the main point; sources of theology. Catholicism believes the Apostolic Tradition to be authoritative along with the Bible, so while the ideal is to be able to base something on both Scripture and Tradition, it is not strictly necessary. So while Purgatory (which really just is an explanation of why we pray for the dead; the Orthodox share the practice, but haven't bothered trying to explain it the way we do in the West) is very well founded within the Catholic framework, it obviously isn't within a Sola Scriptura perspective. Which again is something I could discuss, but then I'd sidetrack the whole thread :)

Lastly, salvation (if by that you mean forgiveness of sins) is by no means earned in purgatory. It is always given freely to repenting sinners. Purgatory is about being made holy. It is a necessary stop on the way to heaven, but never permanent. Once in purgatory, one's fate is clear. In a Protestant sense of the word, I guess you could someone is "saved" when in purgatory - there's nowhere else to go than heaven from that point. But Catholics use the word a bit differently, in the sense that salvation entails being made holy, in addition to forgiveness of sins.

And I agree with you about the "lava pits" belief that most Christians have.  I don't think that's Biblical either.

Indeed. I think it borders on blasphemy. God is not a vindictive judge wanting to use people as fuel. I actually have a weakness for Eastern Orthodoxy when it comes to soteriology (salvation and perishment and stuff), but Catholicism is pretty similar - we just have different language and focus due to different cultures.
  •