Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Motoring fun

Started by Ali girl, October 08, 2014, 05:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali girl

As I have looked into the hobbies shown, I was surprised to not see cars or motorcycles...  I have spent many a nights playing in the garage working on many classic and modern cars.  I am actually restoring a couple of mustangs and a 1960 MGA roadster, plus the restoration of my motorcycle.  Is there any others interested in this activity, or am I in the minority?

I am a Ford gal if you care to know.  8)
The bravest thing I ever did was live when all I wanted to do was die.

If someone shows you their true colors, don't try to repaint them.

"I'm not the person I was yesterday and I'm not the person I'm going to  be tomorrow. I'm just figuring it out as I go along, just like everyone else in this world." -Laura Jane Grace
  •  

Devlyn

My wild thing was a 1968 American Motors AMX two seater. 290 V8, four speed, dual exhaust, manual steering, four wheel drum (not disk) brakes, and vacuum operated windshield wipers. The motor had tons of cam, so the only time there was vacuum was when you were decelerating. She was a beast.
  •  

Ali girl

Sounds awesome!  My driver is a fully build 94 thunderbird SC  5 speed.  One of 722...

It runs awesome and it is my prized possession. 

"I'm not the person I was yesterday and I'm not the person I'm going to  be tomorrow. I'm just figuring it out as I go along, just like everyone else in this world." -Laura Jane Grace
  •  

Zumbagirl

I love cars. It's probably the main reason why I ended up a mechanical engineer. But for sheer driving fun I love my exotics and have had a few, a lotus, Maserati ad an Aston Martin. Personally I like the Aston the best. Right now I have no exotics but have settled on a pair of stingrays, a coupe and a convertible. I have been thinking lately of finding a used Porsche to equip and use for the winter, not for snow but cold days. I like doing the work myself. I take my time, work methodically and just do it. The only thing that sucks for me is having to work on the ground since my hair is very long. I have to keep it tied up and out of the way.

Ever try driving on a track? I tip ride for the first time a few years ago and it's very addictive. Once I drove on a race track I wanted to drive more. I do go to car shows mostly cars and coffee events. I am a low key but passionate car person.
  •  

Ali girl

I do enjoy a good exotic.  I'm more of a muscle car gal.  Boy do I know the fun (sarc) of hair.  I love to restore the classics...  I say it is making something more beautiful when I couldn't be.  ;)

So glad I'm not alone!

•  

katiej

I like working on my motorcycle.  1978 Honda CB750A.  She turned 40k today!

"Before I do anything I ask myself would an idiot do that? And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." --Dwight Schrute
  •  

Ali girl

Sweet!  I ride a 1983 Honda Interceptor!  Have owned it for 11 years. I only have 25,000 on it because 3 kids don't fit...   :)

•  

Jill F

I love sexy cars.  I currently drive a 2003 Honda Pilot, but my mid-life crisis car is on the horizon after I get surgery.

My wife is WAY into cars.  She used to have a '66 Mustang, but drives a BMW 335i these days.

Someday, I'd like a Jaguar E-type, a 1963 Corvette Split and pretty much any Ferrari, but judging from the size of our garage, I'm guessing I'll have to do it one at a time.
  •  

Ali girl

I hear the garage size issues.  Our short list of in progress is my bird, bike, a 65&66 mustang, a 71 mach 1, a 68 Buick and a 69 olds cutlass.  And the MGA...

•  

Mark3

Well Suzanne,
Latex gloves are cheap, and it's a great excuse to try new nail colors if a glove fails.  :D  :laugh:

I'm not transitioning fully, but have noticed similar changes in my interests and hobbies than say, 5 years ago..
We used to have an awesome home, with attached multi car garage. I turned half of the garage into a shop, and the other half for cars.
Nothing as fancy as I wish, a silver Chrysler Concorde, and a small plastic(Honda) lol, for commuting.
But I'd spend hours and hours out in the garage working on the cars, and building things.

I miss blowing my nose and it coming out "#4 Honda Blue" after touching up my engine with spray paint.  :o

Now though, we have down sized, live in a smaller house with no garage. For some reason, or whatever changes I've been experiencing, I can't stand to work on cars.?
I go to the Lube shop to get the oil changed, and the tire shop to check the air pressure.

But I have a secret desire to get an off road motorcycle still.? Haha, but I could work on that in one of the spare bedrooms..!!  ;D
"The soul is beyond male and female as it is beyond life and death."
  •  

Ali girl

My interests have never really changed...  I've always been a motor head and I have been on hormones for 1 1/2 years.  Only change was a new found interest in photography... Still love my cars and doing custom paint.  Strange how that happens to some, but not others...

Another interesting thing I noticed... Before hormones I loved heels and skirts... Now I like my runners and my Diva jeans...

•  

Mark3

Ali, I like photography too.  :D
Maybe my car interests transformed to photography.?
"The soul is beyond male and female as it is beyond life and death."
  •  

big kim

Ford fan here,I had a Falcon woody and a Mercury Comet with  a  289 and 4 speed.Also had English Fords,(Cortina x 2,Sierra,Zephyr 6).I'm a muscle car fan though mine have been the milder variety.Had a 327 Chevellle,69 340 'Cuda,68 & 69 Darts(one was a parts car) and a 69 AMC Javelin(secretary's special a 6 cylinder the last owner had for a parts car and thought it was about to blow up as the leads were on wrong.)
I had a Puch (Allstate)125,3 Triumphs(my favourite bike),a Honda and a BSA.The nearest I get to bikes these days is watching Sons of Anarchy,I'm a big  fan of Tig,Chibs and Gemma.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Ali girl on October 08, 2014, 07:18:23 PM
I hear the garage size issues.  Our short list of in progress is my bird, bike, a 65&66 mustang, a 71 mach 1, a 68 Buick and a 69 olds cutlass.  And the MGA...

I thought that car was overrated.  I stole borrowed one without the owner's permission or knowledge once while I was tripping my (then) balls off in college so I didn't have to walk or take the bus to to community service.  That car totally handled like a boat, but the pickup was fairly impressive.  I hated the seats with a passion.  I gave my drummer buddy his car back the next morning with umm, a bit less gas in it.  It was really fun being followed by a cop for several miles, when I already had a 30 day suspended sentence and was on a year's probation.

I can't believe what idiocy I was once capable of.   I should have taken my other friend's '69 Camaro.
  •  

PastyPrincess

I'm totally into the car scene! I'm really good friends with the auto tech teacher at my school and I've helped work on all the cars he's brought in! I love the car scene and I hope I don't ever lose this spark of happiness when I see a good car on the road.

If I could own any car in the world right now, it would have to be a Fairlady Z, any model will be awesome.
Seventeen and strung out on confusion,
Seventeen and coming clean for the first time,
no mom and dad will never understand,
what's happening to me.
  •  

Ali girl

Quote from: PastyPrincess on October 23, 2014, 10:34:48 PM
I'm totally into the car scene! I'm really good friends with the auto tech teacher at my school and I've helped work on all the cars he's brought in! I love the car scene and I hope I don't ever lose this spark of happiness when I see a good car on the road.

If I could own any car in the world right now, it would have to be a Fairlady Z, any model will be awesome.

I like the fairladys. Beautiful designs.  I loved the Subaru XT6 I owned also (alyclone?) super fun but parts became impossible.   

I don't think I'll ever lose that part of me.  It's engrained into my life. ;)

Quote from: Jill F on October 09, 2014, 01:57:45 AM
I thought that car was overrated.  I stole borrowed one without the owner's permission or knowledge once while I was tripping my (then) balls off in college so I didn't have to walk or take the bus to to community service.  That car totally handled like a boat, but the pickup was fairly impressive.  I hated the seats with a passion.  I gave my drummer buddy his car back the next morning with umm, a bit less gas in it.  It was really fun being followed by a cop for several miles, when I already had a 30 day suspended sentence and was on a year's probation.

I can't believe what idiocy I was once capable of.   I should have taken my other friend's '69 Camaro.

I still play mostly with my SC.  But the Mach is my moms dream car.  So it is one the restoration list.

•  

Leeloo_Dallas

I parted with my toy today.  :(  I've had it since it was a year old.  It was an 03' Nissan 350Z Touring, lightly modified, nothing obnoxious.  I babied it, only put 13k mile on it since the day I bought it. I need to fund my transition, having a car in the garage I rarely drive didn't seem logical.  Sad to see it go, but transitioning definitely outweighed the loss of a car.
  •  

Alana_Jane

I have a car that's only useful in Competition Wheel to Wheel road racing, does that count?  I know of several transgender ladies who wheel a car around pretty well.  One posts her videos on face book and lives in the United Kingdom. 

As for my car: I have a BMW that I built the motor for and ran it at the SCCA Runoffs last October at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. 

-Alana
Alana - Beautiful/Serene/Awakening
  •  

Zumbagirl

Does anyone here ever do a cars and coffee? I remember I went to one last summer in my C6 corvette and ended up hanging out with a couple of other corvette ladies and even had breakfast with them afterwards. It was a good day and some more new friends. When I came the year before that in the aston martin I was surrounded by men galore, but it seems that women like corvettes better.
  •  

Ali girl

Sorry for the long delay ladies.  I have been so engrossed in activities and work I have not had much internet time. 

All forms are welcome.  I do enjoy road racing, and watched many autocross events also.  I just wondered if I was the only one who has not lost interest in my "male" hobbies.  Next to my family, My bird and bike are my life.  The only thing that bothers me is that I am a member of the SCCoA (Super Coupe Club of America) and will most likely have to leave that site as it is filled with many men and I'm doubting much support but that is a small price to pay.  I guess some days I just have a hard time finding my place.

•