Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How do you feel about the word "transgendered"?

Started by suzifrommd, February 28, 2015, 05:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the word "transgendered"?

It's fine
It makes sense in some cases
It's annoying but people use it and I can live with it
It's a stain on the language and should be eradicated

Eevee

It bothers me just as much as any other grammatical error. I should correct members of this site about their own mistakes as often as I correct others about this word.

Eevee

Because its genetic makeup is irregular, it quickly changes its form due to a variety of causes.

•  

Jill F

But transgender IS a verb... *clears throat*

If you catch my girl cooties, it will transgender you.

*ducks*
  •  

Stochastic

Interesting discussion. Fun on a very cold February. I have read all posts on the topic with interest. Writing is a weakness for me so please be gentle. ;)

First of all, can gender be a verb? I think so. I had to laugh at Jill's example. This person was gendered correctly (or see the similar verb described below).

http://susans.org/wiki/Misgender

I searched for the prefix Trans- which means across, beyond, through

I was able to apply the trans- prefix to the below example.
1. I will form a sand castle.
2. I will transform the sand castle to a sand palace.
3. The palace was transformed.

By adding past tense, you can turn a verb into an adjective such as hammered steel or painted fence. This would not work for the adjective gay because it does not appear it can be applied as a verb, so the term "gayed" could not be applied.

In regard to transgendered, I guess it can be used if: a) gender is considered a verb, b) it can be applied past tense, c) trans- is an appropriate prefix for "gender" used as a verb.

I know. Not very helpful (or even correct) but was a lot of fun. 8)
  •  

Sunderland

I personally use "transgender," but I have no problem with the 'ed' version. Being involved in the trans community for so long, I've been exposed to such a multitude of terms that I really don't care what's used at this point. Everyone has their individual preferences. Use whatever feels right to you.
  •  

AbbyKat

Quote from: suzifrommd on February 28, 2015, 05:21:32 AM
Certain elements in our community have been trying to get rid of the use of the word "transgendered" as in "transgendered woman" or "transgendered people", reminding us that the word is "transgender".

However, I still see it cropping up a lot, even on this site.

What do we think of this?

Before I educated myself on the proper use of the word, I said (and still sometimes do) "transgendered".  It just rolls off the tongue as if it were proper.  When explained to me why it's bad English, I get it but it's a hard habit to break.  I think it's because we use "gendered" so much.  And, I may be wrong, but isn't "cisgendered" used or is that also wrong?
  •  

Newgirl Dani

Quote from: Muffinheart on February 28, 2015, 07:15:44 AM
I have a pet peeve with some words, and transgendered is at the top of the list.
Another one is "irregardless"

I never did homework in english, so irregardless of that, transgendered is a word, I saw it here.   Dani
  •  

Kellam

Quote from: Newgirl Dani on February 28, 2015, 08:59:20 PM
I never did homework in english, so irregardless of that, transgendered is a word, I saw it here.   Dani

Where I grew up in New Jersey lozenger is a word. As in "Do you have any lozengers? My throat is sore."
https://atranswomanstale.wordpress.com This is my blog A Trans Woman's Tale -Chris Jen Kellam-Scott

"You must always be yourself, no matter what the price. It is the highest form of morality."   -Candy Darling

•  

King Malachite

I love the term transgendered, and I use it for myself.  I am a transgendered individual, just like I am far-sighted.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Newgirl Dani

Quote from: Kellam on February 28, 2015, 09:16:20 PM
Where I grew up in New Jersey lozenger is a word. As in "Do you have any lozengers? My throat is sore."

I used to live in Joisey, whoo-hoo that was a long time ago, I think it was around 1967.  Little town outside Atlantic City called Pleasantville, first place I ever had a sub sandwich and they were freakin HUGE  :icon_yikes:   Dani
  •  

jeni

Quote from: Stochastic on February 28, 2015, 02:23:17 PM
In regard to transgendered, I guess it can be used if: a) gender is considered a verb, b) it can be applied past tense, c) trans- is an appropriate prefix for "gender" used as a verb.
Point a) is not necessary, though. "Gendered" is itself an adjective, meaning "of, specific to, or biased toward the male or female [gender]" (Google search definition, but I have corrected the use of the word "sex"). It is not the past tense of any verb even though the "-ed" suffix makes it look like it is.

I know. Not very helpful (or even correct) but was a lot of fun. 8)
Grammar wars is intrinsical fun.

Quote from: King Malachite on February 28, 2015, 09:51:05 PM
I am a transgendered individual, just like I am far-sighted.
Yep.
-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

michelle_kelly

Doesn't bother me one bit.  I am not worried about the word but the idea that is trying be expressed.  If someone says transgendered to me and they meant transgender then, I am not going to get upset or correct them.  After all it is the thought that is communicated that means more than, the words used to express the thought.
  •  

stephee72

Trans anything is just a label to describe, it doesnt define me. I feel its a way to communicate who we are in a polite manner, its alot better than >-bleeped-< or sissy ..I HATE that, it actually turns my stomach when I here it in reference to someone.  >:(.. So adding the ''ed''  to the end of transgender, not gonna get my panties in a twist over it. We as a community have bigger equality battles to fight.
I am being honest with myself and others here at all times, because I cant be honest in other parts of my life, just want honesty, support  and kindness for all.  :-*
  •  

WindyRevelations

It does not bother me. It is a good adjective. I know 'transgendered' is grammatically incorrect. It does not bother me much though. I am never been bothered too much by grammar. Maybe because I myself am so prone to making mistakes.  :laugh:
May Life Bring You Bliss :D
  •  

Ms Grace

I totally missed this discussion at the time. I can't say that it bothers me in fact it never even occurred to me until I arrived on this forum. I mean I will only use transgender to describe myself anyway - I tend to use trans when speaking more broadly.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Rejennyrated

It makes sense in some cases. In my case I grew up more or less "gendered" correctly, it was my physical sex and ONLY my physical sex that was at variance, and hence it doesn't really accurate describe my situation because we of all people should know that sex and gender are not synonymous.

I can see it does work for a lot of people, and I have no objection to the term except when people will insist on wanting it to be a global overarching descriptive, because to me sex and gender are two different things. Indeed I'm not even sure I fully understand the nuances of gender.

Its important to state however that this is not a statement that ones thing is more genuine than the other or any of that offensive crap. Its just that i don't think it really helps to ignore quite significant differences of life experience and worldview. So my opinion is more philosophical than anything.
  •  

Mariah

I don't have a problem with the term. It' something at the beginning of my transition that I had to come to terms with, but really the word itself isn't that big of a deal.
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Northern Jane

I do not object to the words transgender but I do get annoyed that transgender and transsexual are assumed to be the same thing. I was diagnosed transsexual at age 16 (by Dr. Harry himself) in 1965. I was never diagnosed transgender by anyone and I reject that label for myself.

To each their own!
  •  

ThePhoenix

Quote from: Northern Jane on April 02, 2015, 08:12:52 AM
I do not object to the words transgender but I do get annoyed that transgender and transsexual are assumed to be the same thing. I was diagnosed transsexual at age 16 (by Dr. Harry himself) in 1965. I was never diagnosed transgender by anyone and I reject that label for myself.

To each their own!

There seems to be a combination of generational change and public ignorance about that.  The generational change is that many younger folks won't accept "transsexual" and will insist on "transgender. " I'm part of the under-40 set and I've been known to snap at people for calling me "transsexual."  But I'll be okay with "transgender. "  That seems to happen a lot with people below a certain age.  And there's some interesting writing about the linguistic change that can easily be found if you look via Google. 

The public ignorance part comes from people not knowing enough about trans* people to realize that "transsexual" is a specific term and "transgender" is broader.  "Transgender" is also not a medical diagnosis whereas "transsexual" used to be one and is still contained in the ICD-9. 

It never ceases to amaze me how people critique transgender people without even knowing enough to understand what the word "transgender" means.  'Tis a good reason to skip reading comments on news articles. :)
  •  

CB

It's probably incorrect grammar wise but i don't really worry too much about it. There are more serious errors in terminology to worry about. 
  •  

enigmaticrorschach

haha, sry, i tend to add ed a lot to my words. dont meant to offend people. its just how my speak patterns are. also i type very very fast so i tend to hit submit before i review it than have to go back to change it
  •