Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How do you feel about the word "transgendered"?

Started by suzifrommd, February 28, 2015, 05:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the word "transgendered"?

It's fine
It makes sense in some cases
It's annoying but people use it and I can live with it
It's a stain on the language and should be eradicated

graspthesanity

I don't mind if a trans person feels comfortable with it, it's what they feel good in:) But personally it echoes with a transitioning sort of thing, as if you aren't valid unless you transition and that bothers me, because I never really changed, my gender was always valid, so I don't like the word.

synesthetic

It does bother me. It's tolerable, though; I prefer being called 'transgendered' than being called some of the alternatives out there.

And don't even get me started on things like 'Alex is a transgender'. Reminds me of 'so-and-so is a gay'. Just... no. *facepalms*
  •  

CynthiaAnn

The "ed" added on the end is annoying, I just try and ignore it, to me it's reflects a certain ignorance, but whatever, there are far worse things that happen in the English language  ;)
  •  

Kylo

The term itself is next to useless at this point because every time I have to use it in debate I have to then immediately make the distinction between several groups who are not the same but assumed so because of this very word. I.e.- the difference between transgender and transsexual, or cross dressing, or non-binary, or non gender conforming, and so on.

This is why the grammar of the word doesn't matter, the word itself has become almost redundant in political conversation unless you are going to lump all those people into a single category which if you have any attention to detail is poor form, in my opinion.

Hence I use the term transsexual far more than this one when referring to myself and people like myself because at least it describes something specific and defineable. "Transgender" could almost mean anything by now. I've seen people describing themselves as transgender who show no characteristics of being transgender other than having blue or green or pink hair and a punk dress style or being in a particular mood that day. What good is the word if it means whatever the speaker wants it to mean?

How do I feel about the word? It's inadequate. I spend so much time having to go into details after using it that it is no longer expedient to use it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •