Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Wachowski's Netflix original "Sense8" staring trans actress Jamie Clayton.

Started by amber roskamp, June 03, 2015, 01:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amber roskamp

So I just heard about this! I am so excited! Here is the link to the article.
http://www.afterellen.com/tv/433487-sense8-premieres-next-week-lead-trans-lesbian-character
  •  

Ms Grace

I've been watching Sens8 on Netflix - three episodes in and I'm only just starting to get vaguely interested. Anyway, I didn't realise at first but there is a trans woman character (Nomi) and she's played by a trans woman actress. I didn't realise at first because I was rather distracted by the somewhat hot sex scene between her and her female partner (played by the woman who played Martha Jones in Doctor Who). I presume Lana Wachowski had a part in developing that role since she and her brother are directing it and co wrote/created with J. Michael Straczynski.

It's not giving away much to reveal Nomi as trans, or the fact she is portrayed as a trans activist blogger since that is covered fairly perfunctualy in the first episode. To be honest the activist blogger role comes across as utterly contrived, surely they could have thought of something more interesting for her. As a result I was pretty bored with Nomi as a character until we meet her mother in the second episode who insists on calling her by her male birth name. I'd say it felt overplayed except that's how my father is right now with me. So that was really uncomfortable and had me wishing a horrible fate on the mother. But at this point Nomi's story starts to deviate from "cliched trans character" to something a bit more interesting. I won't say more, so no spoilers from me. I've only watched three episodes, I hope/expect I'll get through the rest this weekend.

Anyone else watching? No spoilers!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Squircle

I will be watching it. It's Jamie Clayton isn't it? She is stunning.
  •  

wanessa.delisola

Most of the time, the Wachowski's works bores me to death. I dont see whats the big deal with Matrix; Speed Racer almost killed me, etc, etc, etc...

But Sense8 got my attention. I think I will watch it pretty soon. Now that I know that it has a trans woman character (an actress), I've got even more into it!

Lets hope that Sense8 dont bores me to death either! lol
  •  

awilliams1701

I can't decide if I want to watch it immediately or finish "The L Word" first. I've found that to be very relevant to my life.
Ashley
  •  

stephaniec

you can give a play by play critique if you want. You won't be spoiling anything because I don't watch TV or video or whatever.
  •  

ainsley

Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Paige

Quote from: amber roskamp on June 03, 2015, 01:48:53 PM
So I just heard about this! I am so excited! Here is the link to the article.
http://www.afterellen.com/tv/433487-sense8-premieres-next-week-lead-trans-lesbian-character

Thanks Amber for posting this.  I didn't realize there was a trailer for each character.   This looks so good.

Paige :)
  •  

amber roskamp

Yea and it's out today! I have heard mixed reviews so far but that's the wachowski's though. I know many people who love cloud atlas and think it a masterpiece, despite the fact that it wasn't consider good by the mainstream reviews. So I'm gonna come in with an open mind. I'm gonna binge on this show sunday
  •  

awilliams1701

I did enjoy all 3 matrices, but I didn't like the ending of the last one. So I think its got a chance.
Ashley
  •  

awilliams1701

I'm halfway through the first one. I have NO IDEA what is going on. I'm having a hard time paying attention. I WANT to like this, but so far..... On the other hand I didn't like Orange is the new black until she got starved out at the end of the first episode. Next thing I know I'm hooked on that show.
Ashley
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote from: wanessa.delisola on June 05, 2015, 11:55:35 AM
Lets hope that Sense8 dont bores me to death either! lol

Let's just say I've found the interesting & engaging to tedious & dull ratio to be around 1:4 thus far. A lot of the really  interesting stuff seems to happen in the first five minutes and last five minutes... leaving about 40 minutes of zzz. Hopefully it pick up from episode four.
Grace
  •  

Boo Stew

Is anyone else watching Sense8 on Netflix the new series by Lana and Andy Wachowski? One of the 8 connected people in the show is a trans woman named Nomi, played by transgender actress Jamie Clayton who is in a loving lesbian relationship but has a more conflicted and possibly triggering relationship with her mother. Aside from just that it's also produced by J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5) and, so far, is a really trippy, interesting, wholly unique look at the metaphysical convergence of human experience.

An interview with Jamie

Mod note: link OK
  •  

Ms Grace

I'm watching it but finding it fairly slow going - it certainly has some good moments here and there but a lot of it isn't that engaging. Just when it seems things a re picking up they drop back into tedium and while the premise is promising they're still mostly stumbling around looking confused halfway through the series.

I must say I found Nomi's mother incredibly confronting, I know that's the intention - she's a transphobic misgendering cow and she sickens me big time. And the thing is it isn't even overplayed - I know there are parents out there who behave exactly like her (my father isn't quite as bad but then he doesn't have power over me like Nomi's mother believes she has over Nomi). I don't know what the big conspiracy is that the sensates are supposedly facing but to me Nomi's mother is the most vile and evil character so far.

Kind of wish Nomi hadn't been an activist/hacker/blogger... just seems kind of cliche but I can see that they'll probably be calling on those skills at some point - and hey, these days you really need a hacker in just about any team. At least she wasn't a sex worker, which would have been an even bigger cliche.  Maybe I'm just jealous that Nomi's in a relationship with "Martha Jones" (Freema Agyeman who played a companion in Doctor Who)... I've had a crush on Martha ever since she first appeared!

Anyway, I'll keep watching. It reminds me in many ways of Cloud Atlas but even loooooonger. I hope I can get to the end and feel the nearly 12 hours will have been worth it.
Grace
  •  

awilliams1701

I've seen 2 episodes now. It JUST started to get interesting in episode 2, but just barely. I switched back to "The L Word". I actually have a pretty good idea what's going on and its like 100x more entertaining. I just got my blu-ray copies of Orange is the new Black in. I may switch to those or just check out the bonus features since I just saw both seasons online. I wish I had known they were coming out on blu-ray sooner.
Ashley
  •  

amber roskamp

I really like Naomi so far she reminds me of another trans women I know. I don't think that her being an activist was a bad choice because their are lots of us that are activists and the media doesn't really show that with trans characters usually so that is cool to me. I am to episodes in and I like it so far.
  •  

femmebutt

hybrid
  •