News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Trump: Transgender bathrooms ‘unbelievably expensive’

Started by stephaniec, May 24, 2016, 09:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Trump: Transgender bathrooms 'unbelievably expensive'

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/280995-trump-transgender-bathrooms-unbelievably-expensive

The Hill/ By Mark Hensch   05/23/2016

Donald Trump on Monday said building transgender restrooms nationwide would carry a high price tag.

""It would be unbelievably expensive nationwide," he told host Bill O'Reilly on Fox News's "The O'Reilly Factor." "It would be hundreds of billions of dollars. I think people would rather have us spending money on other things

Trump said his Trump Organization buildings nationwide typically lack bathroom facilities specifically for transgender individuals.
The GOP's presumptive presidential nominee said he believes in protecting transgender Americans from discrimination, however."
  •  

Devlyn

No more expensive than "Coloured Only" bathrooms, and we see what happened with those. Move along, folks, nothing to see here. We're just peeing.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Now Chloe

Another old thread but I can't resist to comment.

I think you folks are reading into Trump's comment the opposite as he meant. As a former conservative and current Libertarian, I get the impression he's very LGBT friendly

Trump let Kaitlin Jenner use the girls room. He's been talking about equal right for all. At a rally on 8/18/2016, there was someone up front with a big rainbow flag that they waved every now and then.

I think what he was getting at is gender neutral bathrooms are expensive. So, let's not build any but instead let people use the restroom of the gender they identify as/with.
  •  

Joelene9

I get Trump's message. The difference from the "Coloreds" bathrooms of the early 1960's and earlier is that those bathrooms did not have government regulation attached to them besides the local health department, which was shoddy in most cases. The new Transgender restrooms are there by Federal law and are subject to new regulations that will up the cost of furnishing and up-keeping them as well as the nearby restrooms. Such as if you build onto an old room or structure that has 'grandfathered' codes in them, then you must upgrade the old part of that structure or room.

Joe
  •  

Deborah

The last thing he said was to let the States decide.  If you live in a hostile State that doesn't help much.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Michelle_P

It turns out that if we don't use solid gold plumbing and fixtures, that the bathrooms are actually not all that expensive.  Sometimes, we just have to lower our expectations a bit.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Xirafel

Quote from: Now Chloe on August 28, 2016, 10:23:38 PM
I think you folks are reading into Trump's comment the opposite as he meant. As a former conservative and current Libertarian, I get the impression he's very LGBT friendly

Trump let Kaitlin Jenner use the girls room. He's been talking about equal right for all. At a rally on 8/18/2016, there was someone up front with a big rainbow flag that they waved every now and then.

I think what he was getting at is gender neutral bathrooms are expensive. So, let's not build any but instead let people use the restroom of the gender they identify as/with.
I interpreted it as, "My party wants blah but I have no opinion on the matter so that I can dodge bullets from either side." The one that wins is the one he'll probably side with. And then, he throws down the occasional comment which doesn't give away his position to show that he cares about the situation.
  •  

mac1

We don't need expensive new construction of existing facilities.  Minor revisions will make most existing restrooms acceptable and satisfactory for everybody. New standards can be used when building new facilities or making major renovations of existing facilities.

He appears to be willing to let the practice evolve as it will without federal government intervention.

Women are currently able to use the men's public restrooms if they so desire. Why can't it be the same for men in the women's public restrooms?

http://www.anthonyseymourbrowne.com/unisex-bathrooms.html
?
  •  

Deborah

Pence is Vice President.  Sessions will be Attorney General, New Supreme Court Justices will vote in accordance with conservative evangelicals.   Trump's Chief Strategist is Bannon.

The majority of States have been trying to shut down all TG accommodation already.  Now the Federal Government will support them when challenged. 

There is nothing good for us here.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

CatBlack

Not to mention they've stated support for FADA. Which enables health care providers and businesses to discriminate against us.
  •  

mac1

Quote from: Deborah on November 24, 2016, 12:00:30 PM
Pence is Vice President.  Sessions will be Attorney General, New Supreme Court Justices will vote in accordance with conservative evangelicals.   Trump's Chief Strategist is Bannon.

The majority of States have been trying to shut down all TG accommodation already.  Now the Federal Government will support them when challenged. 

There is nothing good for us here.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

Be patient and remain hopeful. It is going to be better than think now.
?
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: mac1 on November 24, 2016, 02:35:30 PM
Be patient and remain hopeful. It is going to better than think now.

I sure hope so.  I just remember the county chair of my former party telling me about the camps she wanted to open.  Probably not to teach us macrame or basket weaving...
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

mac1

Quote from: Michelle_P on November 24, 2016, 03:06:25 PM
I sure hope so.  I just remember the county chair of my former party telling me about the camps she wanted to open.  Probably not to teach us macrame or basket weaving...

That will never happen.
?
  •  

Jean24

Not only would they be expensive, but they would be pointless. Nobody would use them.

Mod Edit - No Bashing or ridiculing is against TOS 5.
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

Mariah

:police:

Okay folks. Lets keep it civil and not bash or ridicule anyone or any party. Please Keep in mind TOS 5, 10 and 15. Thanks
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: mac1 on November 24, 2016, 03:10:21 PM
That will never happen.
Why would it never happen?  It has happened in many places before and it happened here in the USA with the removal of Japanese Americans to internment camps 74 years ago.

So yes, it could very easily happen if the politicians want it.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

mac1

Quote from: Deborah on November 24, 2016, 03:40:50 PM
Why would it never happen?  It has happened in many places before and it happened here in the USA with the removal of Japanese Americans to internment camps 74 years ago.

So yes, it could very easily happen if the politicians want it.

A lot has changed since then.
?
  •  

Deborah

Human nature has not changed and we now have an administration soon to take office that has publicly stated the intent to flout international law by reconstituting torture and deliberately bombing non combatants.  So, are we just to have faith in their good will and respect for the rule of law?

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

mac1

There has been more than one president in my lifetime with whom I have been in total disagreement.  However, I have always trusted and wished then success for the good of the country.  Our democracy, freedom, and way of life are dependent on that.

Some have even demonstrated complete disrespect for the Constitution.
?
  •  

Jean24

I'm with Deborah. They control the entire US government. Control of the supreme court was given to the winner of the presidency. Republicans held on to the Senate and the house. They have the means to change everything in our country. Much of that rests with the president because of how often Obama had to use the executive orders - Trump can undo all of our progress with his signature.

The means is more than there, and the motive is the "whitelash" that we have been hearing about. For 8 years these people had to watch as their disgusting agenda got stopped in its tracks, all of Bush's mistakes undone, and the country go in the right direction. This is exactly how the Southern Stratagey works. Poor whites get pissed off when minorities like blacks, women, and LGBT make advances and become socially equal to men and WASPs. They're desperately looking to make an adjustment to fix all of the good that has been done in order to reclaim white male supremacy in society.
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •