You do not have an opinion Jeanette.

LOL ......I feel your pain, Sister!
  •  

TransParkie

Quote from: Sydney_NYC on March 09, 2017, 10:50:10 PM
These laws are not really enforceable and meant to scare people and to prevent children from transitioning. They are the ones that suffer the most from these type of bills especially since they ONLY apply to government buildings and public schools.

<<Exactly, It will hurt the children the worst, and that is so sad that they are the ones targeted here. Since most adults will stand up for themselves with sort of ID with their new gender listed... >>

For me even after surgery, I can't get my birth certificate amended or changed because TN will NOT change it period. However if in TX (or NC) I would bring my passport with me (that does have Female) since in most cases (not sure about this particular law) a passport trumps a birth certificate. I've never been questioned in the women's restroom (or locker room at my gym) and haven't even been mis-gendered by a stranger in nearly 3 years. So it's unlikely I would ever have an issue.

<<I recently finally came out (after 57 years of keeping "everything" stuffed deep inside), and am so glad I live, and was born here in Washington State, as I shouldn't have any issue with getting my birth certificate and everything else changed to Female.... YEA....
Although speaking of the locker room at the gym, I found out the the YMCA's nationwide policy is gender inclusive, basically you use whatever locker room that matches the gender you present as. So since I have been F/T since the first of the year, I've been using the women's locker room with zero problems, and so far? I've never been mis-gendered....>>

Another group of people this is going to negatively affect is masculine looking cis-women. They are going to be questioned and possibly harassed in the women's bathroom.

<< It's going yo look awful funny, when all the masculine looking cis-women start filing law suites over sexual discrimination due to the fact that they're being questioned and harassed in not just the women's bathroom, but the women's locker room as well...... Time to sit back, and watch the sparks fly... heehee>>
  •  

Lady Sarah

Quote from: jentay1367 on March 09, 2017, 09:32:02 PM
Anyone hassles me for using the restroom, they're going to get an earful. The proof will only be presented to the Police....and that will be begrudgingly. Then I think I'll request my assailant be arrested for simple assault. We gotta start standing up for our rights in a more zealous and vocal way.
I am sure bigots will start policing bathrooms with their hateful zeal. This is likely to include stores, where they can consider it a public place. In such cases, management and the police will be involved. I will insist. I ain't leaving Texas, just because of BS like this.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

sammie83

Quote from: Lady Sarah on March 10, 2017, 09:01:31 AM
I am sure bigots will start policing bathrooms with their hateful zeal.

Is it really that bad out there?

I don't want to sound like an idealist but, in reality, what do people think goes on in the ladies bathroom that doesn't go on in the mens?  Lets be honest, its not like its a communal hole in the ground that everyone squats around.  My wife said this to me yesterday about dressing rooms in stores.  Do the male politicians think that these places look like scenes from Caligula or something? It's a bunch of private cubicles for goodness sake.

We went into KFC Basingstoke and they have a gender neutral bathroom.  A row of cubicles, with locking doors, and comunal sinks/ dryers for all the customers to use.  Guess what, nobody was being attacked or abused, nobody was pointing and laughing.  Everyone was just going to the loo!

Worst still is that this isn't an issue about protecting anyone, it's about publicly denouncing trans people as "weirdos" and "perverts."  I know plenty of Cis Men & Women who are very disturbed and frankly violent individuals but, nobody cares because they are "normal!" 
It strikes me that the politicians have an idea of some unpleasant things they would like to get up to in the ladies bathroom, so they paste us with their deformed brush.

Sorry, rant over
Sammie
xx
  •  

AnneK

I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

sammie83

Oh!

I guess being new here I should be very careful in my choice of words but, does that sort of behaviour not fall into the extreme category a little?  It's outright persecution.  I am sure I will be told differently but, I hope that this example is the exception and not the rule.

Honestly, if I thought that this sort of behaviour was occurring in the UK I would be terrified to go outside!
Sammie
xx
  •  

AnneK

QuoteHonestly, if I thought that this sort of behaviour was occurring in the UK I would be terrified to go outside!

The U.S. has a long history of religion inspired bigotry.  Even the likes of the KKK used it to justify their beliefs and actions.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

•  

Deborah

Even slavery was justified with the Bible.  Over 600K people died to settle that argument.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

sammie83

It's difficult not to get drawn into a religious debate I guess, so I will tread carefully.  All I can really say is that, although my parents have religious inclinations, I have always tried myself to be more of a humanist.

Problem these days, one just ends up sounding like a "bleeding heart liberal" when saying things like, can't we all just get along.  The sad truth is, NO, we probably can't!  But that's not the issue here really, this isn't about getting along, its about forcing people to see things from a single narrow point of view.
I guess its not even asking anyone to "like" it but, just to accept that some people have different lives and different opinions. 
(It shouldn't have to be a case of please accept us though, its simply basic human compassion.)
Sammie
xx
  •  

AnneK

QuoteThe sad truth is, NO, we probably can't!

The topic of this thread is a good indication of where most of that "can't" comes from.

•  

sammie83

I don't disagree.

For years I have thought of religion of being created as a control mechanism, using pseudo science to explain how the world works, to those looking for easy answers.  It's seemingly pretty easy to justify any sort of horrific behaviour by declaring it as the will of your specific deity.

Frankly I get annoyed that my daughters school take them to religious services at the local church.  Religion and education have repeatedly shown to be incompatible.   
(Again, being careful what I say because I don't want to offend if I can avoid it)
Sammie
xx
  •  

IdontEven

Meh. Good, evil, they're both fine choices.
Having gazed further into the abyss than any of these people have, I'm probably better at being truly evil than they are. They're just dumb and scared.

Luckily for them I'm doing my best to live in love  :angel:

For now   :icon_poke: :icon_evil:
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
  •  

Lady Sarah

Quote from: sammie83 on March 10, 2017, 09:57:41 AM
Is it really that bad out there?

I don't want to sound like an idealist but, in reality, what do people think goes on in the ladies bathroom that doesn't go on in the mens?  Lets be honest, its not like its a communal hole in the ground that everyone squats around.  My wife said this to me yesterday about dressing rooms in stores.  Do the male politicians think that these places look like scenes from Caligula or something? It's a bunch of private cubicles for goodness sake.

We went into KFC Basingstoke and they have a gender neutral bathroom.  A row of cubicles, with locking doors, and comunal sinks/ dryers for all the customers to use.  Guess what, nobody was being attacked or abused, nobody was pointing and laughing.  Everyone was just going to the loo!

Worst still is that this isn't an issue about protecting anyone, it's about publicly denouncing trans people as "weirdos" and "perverts."  I know plenty of Cis Men & Women who are very disturbed and frankly violent individuals but, nobody cares because they are "normal!" 
It strikes me that the politicians have an idea of some unpleasant things they would like to get up to in the ladies bathroom, so they paste us with their deformed brush.

Sorry, rant over
By the way, the bill states that gender neutral facilities shall not be provided.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

sammie83

Sammie
xx
  •  

AnneK

QuoteFrankly I get annoyed that my daughters school take them to religious services at the local church.

What country do you live in?  In Canada, that sort of thing wouldn't be allowed in public schools.  Also, in Ontario, where I live, we have the unfortunate situation of a tax funded separate school system for Catholics.  They're the only religion to have that.  As far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't be allowed, as it amounts to tax payer funded discrimination.  This is before we get to things like duplication of costs, tax payer funding of delusion, etc..  At the same time we're forced to pay for parallel school systems, we're closing more & more schools, cutting programs and more to reduce costs.  This makes having a separate school system even more of an obscenity.

•  

sammie83

I'm in England and she goes to "non religious" state funded school.  We have "faith schools" here too, with varying levels of secular acceptance. 
Sammie
xx
  •  

Janes Groove

Quote from: JeanetteLW on March 09, 2017, 11:27:18 PM

Also, LOL.  100% agreeance with this sentiment. :)

Quote from: sammie83 on March 10, 2017, 11:14:21 AM
Problem these days, one just ends up sounding like a "bleeding heart liberal" when saying things like, can't we all just get along. 

Actually, the preferred term nowadays is "snowflake."   Not sure, but I think it has something to do with men seeming to be too feminine.
  •  

Amanda_Combs

Quote from: sammie83 on March 10, 2017, 12:09:30 PM
I'm in England and she goes to "non religious" state funded school.  We have "faith schools" here too, with varying levels of secular acceptance.
I went to a religious school, and I can tell you personally that everything They told me there makes life harder every single day.  I'm really sorry you're not able to avoid that kind of thing even with a "non-religious" school.
Higher, faster, further, more
  •  

sammie83

I should t complain too much. At risk of sounding like a hypocrite, we still have Christmas... Well, it a mid winter gift giving festival anyway. :)
Sammie
xx
  •