Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

*TRIGGER WARNING* Texas Bathroom Bill - `My heart breaks over their deception.’

Started by Janes Groove, March 09, 2017, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janes Groove

`My heart breaks over their deception.' On Christian conservative opposition to transgender rights

By Jonathan Tilove
myStatesman 03/08/2017

http://politics.blog.mystatesman.com/2017/03/08/my-heart-breaks-over-their-deception-on-the-christian-opposition-to-transgender-rights/

Here's a peek into the mind of the folks in Texas who make up the opposition to transgender people using bathrooms and facilities corresponding with their gender identity.  As an aside, it seems to me that it's really pointless to try to have a rational discussion with people whose go to argument is, 'The devil makes you do it.'
  •  

AnneK

It certainly shows the nonsense that "Christian belief" is.  I went to church as a kid, but came to my senses as I grew older and recognized religion for the delusion it is.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

RobynD

Keep the faith (pun intended)- more people are with us than against us.

Christ must be shaking his head at their unloving actions. Jesus called people that were seemingly legalistically moral but inwardly not, "white washed tombs". One can see the relevance of that analogy.

•  

Deborah

As I've been schooled so many times here, Nope, this has nothing to do with religion.
QuoteAmong the handful of other people who testified for SB 6 was Cindy Asmussen of Austin.

Asmussen is the ethics and religious liberty advisor at the Texas Ethics and Religious Liberty Committee of the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention, and legislative director at Concerned Women for America of Texas.

"Words cannot explain what we saw today at the Capitol. There were hundreds of protestors – many whom were men dressed as women and parents bringing young children they were helping to transition to another sex. Then listening to the complete confusion from SO MANY lost people who testified. My heart breaks over their deception. I physically felt sick at the awful spirit in the hearing room. This is complete deception in which these people need God's delivering power."

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

JeanetteLW

I'm afraid that if I was to comment on this in the manner I feel I would likely be banned.
Suffice it to say it disturbs me.
I'll leave it at that.

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

AnneK

QuoteNope, this has nothing to do with religion

That's why I used quotes around "Christian belief".  All too often, people use religion to justify harmful behaviour towards others.  As I said, I went to church when I was a kid and this is certainly not what I learned there.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

•  

Deborah

To be fair to the Christians in the article, I can pull out some 1600 year old quotes from a Doctor of the Church that say a lot worse things about us.  So they are not really straying outside the boundary here.  It is what it is.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Amanda_Combs

I'm a Christian.  It gives me a lot of fear over whether or not my parents(preachers) will ever accept me.  But personally I see 2 options; either the devil has nothing to do with being trans* or just isn't evil, because we're all great people here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Higher, faster, further, more
  •  

AnneK

Quoteor just isn't evil

On the other hand, the way religion is all to often used, as in this example, is evil.

•  

Deborah

Evil exists as a potential within us all.  I agree though that the people that hang around here seem to have mostly avoided falling into that pit.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

jentay1367

QuoteEvil exists as a potential within us all.

Some dogmatic principle seem to actually encourage it, despite the rhetoric their precepts are clothed in. Guru's are seemingly perfectly misunderstood by the masses. Thus leaving interpretation to be bastardized by opportunists for their own crappy little purposes.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Amanda_Combs on March 09, 2017, 03:53:19 PM
I'm a Christian.  It gives me a lot of fear over whether or not my parents(preachers) will ever accept me.  But personally I see 2 options; either the Devyl has nothing to do with being trans* or just isn't evil, because we're all great people here.

Fixed that for ya!  >:-)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Violets

•  

jentay1367

Quote from: Violets on March 09, 2017, 06:26:13 PM
So much for the separation of church and state.  :(

Unfortunately,  that's never existed anywhere but in the idealists mind.
  •  

Gertrude

There are good Christian pastors, as I was pleasantly surprised to find out
:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Lady Sarah

Being as there are many among us that would support the bathroom bill, I am (pretty much) ordered to hits my tongue, and digress. They will probably be overjoyed when it passes. Much to their dismay, my weapon of choice is my birth certificate in a clear plastic envelope, in my purse. That certificate states I am female, which would make it illegal to use the men's facilities, even though I still have a penis.
Forget the spirit of the law. I shall use the "letter of the law" in the event anyone stops me when I need to pee.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

jentay1367

Quote from: Lady Sarah on March 09, 2017, 08:45:14 PM
Being as there are many among us that would support the bathroom bill, I am (pretty much) ordered to hits my tongue, and digress. They will probably be overjoyed when it passes. Much to their dismay, my weapon of choice is my birth certificate in a clear plastic envelope, in my purse. That certificate states I am female, which would make it illegal to use the men's facilities, even though I still have a penis.
Forget the spirit of the law. I shall use the "letter of the law" in the event anyone stops me when I need to pee.

Anyone hassles me for using the restroom, they're going to get an earful. The proof will only be presented to the Police....and that will be begrudgingly. Then I think I'll request my assailant be arrested for simple assault. We gotta start standing up for our rights in a more zealous and vocal way.
  •  

Sydney_NYC

These laws are not really enforceable and meant to scare people and to prevent children from transitioning. They are the ones that suffer the most from these type of bills especially since they ONLY apply to government buildings and public schools.

For me even after surgery, I can't get my birth certificate amended or changed because TN will NOT change it period. However if in TX (or NC) I would bring my passport with me (that does have Female) since in most cases (not sure about this particular law) a passport trumps a birth certificate. I've never been questioned in the women's restroom (or locker room at my gym) and haven't even been mis-gendered by a stranger in nearly 3 years. So it's unlikely I would ever have an issue.

Another group of people this is going to negatively affect is masculine looking cis-women. They are going to be questioned and possibly harassed in the women's bathroom.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

cheryl reeves

I can't wait til the ftm start to flood the ladies rm  and see how fast they back pedal. I live in Texas and have never been hassled when using the womens rm when dressed, most times I find a gender neutral bathroom. See I don't force myself on others looking for rights above everyone else. I believe we are all EQUAL and no one is above another. I live my life and my fellow Texans let me.
  •