News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

On Sin

Started by Wendyway2, July 15, 2017, 11:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendyway2

Hello,

What are you views on being Transgender and that that may or not mean living in sin. I heard one Catholic Priest say that living a sin does not mean you have done anything evil, that it is not really  a bad thing, and can easily be forgiven. That the sin of homosexuality or cross gendering is not a carnal sin, and does not mean you have done anything inherently wrong, or that you need to change. The Catholic church says that all pre marital sex is a sin. As a Transgender Bisexual I am far from living up to those standards. Do you believe Jesus loved sinners. Is Being Transgender even something that  needs to be forgiven. I received my families forgiveness, and right after that I received their blessing. If we are forgiven for our sins does that make us blessed. What are your views on the sin of being transgender, if it is a  sin, does receiving forgiveness make us blessed.

elkie-t

Ole good friar Tuck used to say - 'if you don't sin, you won't pray for forgiveness, and without praying, your soul won't be rescued'. Thus, the way to get to the heavens is to enjoy the life to its fullest and be grateful for god's gifts of each day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

DawnOday

As has been stated to me many times to explain the unexplainable. It is Gods plan. Those that have closely held beliefs use that explanation for everything. And when you detransition, It's God's miracle.
Then they will go into trying to prove the point that we are making the choice. I have learned first hand that it is not a choice most would make voluntarily unlike being gay, bisexual or lesbian. I was communicating with a beautiful woman that you would think would be wildly happy at her transformation. But I learned that day that no matter what the appearance, even the most gifted are bitter about being forced into this life because our bodies and our brains are not in sync. When combined with a lack of job prospects. This can be devastating. I believe in Mark 12-31. Love thy neighbor as thyself. This is one of the two most important commandments and the Bible even says so.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

2.B.Dana

You are asking for answers to very important questions that have a tendency to be skewed by denomination etc. I spent quite a fair amount of time getting my head straight on these subjects. Although not Catholic, the blog listed below was very helpful to me in this area. Click the menu and you will see posts relating to most of what you mentioned.

https://eilerspizza.wordpress.com
Cheers,

Dana

•  

Deborah

I tried for a long time, decades, to live in faith according to what the Church has always believed.  Unfortunately, there is a stark dichotomy between what the Church says about trans and what I personally experienced.  In the end this destroyed my faith and it is now as dead as if it never existed at all.  Trying to keep my faith and live what I felt was a constant lie was killing my spirit and draining it of the will to live.  Choosing to reject the faith and everything it stands for was the only sane and rational choice I had left.  Whether or not God and Jesus exist as Christianity teach is irrelevant.  If they do then they were deaf to my prayers anyway; no love there.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Raell

Starting with the rejection of my church after my husband of 21 years ran off with a younger woman, then seeing the church's rampant misogyny, racism, bigotry, trans/homophobia in the past 9 years, and after 85% of white evangelicals voted for TRUMP, I no longer have anything to do with Christianity.

Here in Thailand, Thai Buddhism accepts a Third Gender and I love visiting temples just to feel the peace and oneness with the universe.
  •  

Denni

When our time comes to stand in front of our Lord, it will not matter what denomination we are, whether we are cis gender or a member of the LGBT community. I firmly believe that we will be judged on how we lived our lives, in how we treated others, how we helped others in need. I was born and raised Catholic and am still a practicing Catholic, that does not mean that I agree with all of their doctrine and practices, there are many bigots in their clergy starting from the cardinal's on down, and that goes for other religions also. I attend church for the simple fact that it brings me closer to my Lord on that one day each week where I can feel closer to him. I am sure that would hold true in any church, temple or place of worship. For others to say who is living in sin and judging others is not what Christians, Jews, Muslims, or any other belief are, or should be, it is showing compassion for others and being there when in need. For others to tell me that I am a sinner does not matter, there is only one that matters in my life, and that will be my Lord when I stand in front of him, and be judged only by him, not others.
  •  

Dianne H

Deborah, your answer is quite interesting.
The faith of Peter, James, John, Paul, Aquila and Priscilla was not Catholic, Baptist, Protestant, Pentecostal or any other denomination.
It was the faith of God's elect; the elect lady and her children.
Don't let churches destroy your faith sweetie.
It's not a matter of what a church or governing body think. It's a matter of who is and who is not written in the Lamb's Book Of Life.
It is a matter that Jesus Christ died for you and he knows you, just as he does another person I know here.
And yes, God does hear, and he answers. Sometimes just not how we think.
Have a blessed day.
  •  

amandam

I do not believe being transgender is a sin. I know that there is a prohibition of homosexuality and sin outside of marriage. What I don't know is, if medically speaking, a trans person is truly the other sex, can they get married after their GCS and not be sinning? Things to ponder.

For the unknowns, I like to think about what Jesus said about who can be saved. He said with men it is impossible, with God anything is possible. Does that mean we can just sin? No. But, on so many issues, the jury is still out. Paul talks about how he can't stop sinning. In other parts of the Bible, it says if you continue to sin, you will go to Hell. Yet, no one doubts Paul is in Heaven. Things to ponder.

I just keep telling myself to trust God.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

Dianne H

Too many forget there are those called babes in Christ who need the sincere milk of the word of God and those whom Paul said were mature in the Lord eating meat, or deeper things spiritually.

The word of God says we are renewed day by day and it is not an immediate thing. None of us were born and immediately became an adult. The Spirit of God renews us day by day just as the word of God is given line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little.

Sadly too many Christians fail to see that as they grow, another may grow faster or slower than they.

The Lord looks at each of us separately. He knows our heart. That shouldn't be used as an excuse to sin, but instead, when we do our best we should take comfort in knowing he is merciful. As written, his mercy endureth forever.

The sin unto death, or blasphemy of the Holy Ghost is willfully sinning after coming unto the knowledge of the truth. The sin not unto death, or that which we can pray for, are those which we cannot avoid, whether by knowledge, ability or anything beyond our means.

It's so heartbreaking to see Christians judge and condemn others while they themselves commit sins also referred to as an abomination, such as being proud of heart, or even unbalanced in faith and works.

It is so sad when people are ready to give up and turn away when the Lord already died for their sins and it is man who makes a bigger deal out of one sin than another. It is written, we are not to be a respecter of persons.

It is written that the Lord knows them which are his. His answers may not come in our time, but his time. They may or may not be as we would like to hear, but they are his and given in his time.

We have to stop and think about all Joseph went through and long he was tried before being made next to pharaoh in Egypt. Noah wasn't told to build the ark until he was 500 and the 100 years he took to build it there is no record of his sons helping him. We just assume they did.

Moses waited 40 years and others waited long periods of time. We as Christians can't give up. The Lord does hear and answers in his time.

It really saddened me to read she was giving up. She's such a sweetheart.

My answer to Deborah was for her. I hope she does not give up. Jesus does know her and loves her.
  •  

Julia1996

I don't think being trans is a sin. God did make us this way right?  But I don't care who thinks it is a sin. I have an aversion to religion. I have no use or tolerance for these fanatics who say we are doomed to hell for being trans or that aids is god's punishment to gay people.  I don't understand how people can be so ignorant and backward. I would never disrespect someone's religion. But if you're going to call me an abomination and say I'm going to hell for being what I am then you can kick rocks.
Julia
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Jacqueline

Quote from: Dianne H on August 23, 2017, 08:07:16 PM
Deborah, your answer is quite interesting.
The faith of Peter, James, John, Paul, Aquila and Priscilla was not Catholic, Baptist, Protestant, Pentecostal or any other denomination.
It was the faith of God's elect; the elect lady and her children.
Don't let churches destroy your faith sweetie.
It's not a matter of what a church or governing body think. It's a matter of who is and who is not written in the Lamb's Book Of Life.
It is a matter that Jesus Christ died for you and he knows you, just as he does another person I know here.
And yes, God does hear, and he answers. Sometimes just not how we think.
Have a blessed day.

Dianne,

Welcome to the site.

It is very compassionate of you to feel such sadness. However, Deborah has had a long journey and decisions. Perhaps she will change her mind. Perhaps not. Try to feel the happiness she has come to by losing the guilt and what I am guessing could be self loathing. Thanks for jumping in and sharing your knowledge and belief. Churches and religions make so many things issues that are not in the bible nor what Jesus was quoted as saying. Religion is human made. It messes with faith often.

Perhaps you could head over to the introduction category and leave a post. That way we can all get to know about one another.

A Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please [remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site. It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Jacqui

1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Deborah

Quote from: Jacqueline on August 23, 2017, 10:03:12 PM
Dianne,

Welcome to the site.

It is very compassionate of you to feel such sadness. However, Deborah has had a long journey and decisions. Perhaps she will change her mind. Perhaps not.
Before I renounced God (not lost my faith) I had spent the better part of seven years studying the faith comprehensively from theology to history and had read a large portion of the Early Church Fathers trying to find anything to support the contention that trans and Christianity could coexist.  I also during that time studied towards an MDiv in a seminary although I didn't finish that.

My conclusion was that we and Christianity are incompatible.  The Religious Right is not saying anything about us that such Church luminaries as St. Augustine didn't say first 1600 years ago.  [I'll quote it if desired but he wrote it in his book, "The City of God."]

Even that didn't make me leave though.  I wanted to hang on.  The catalyst that made me shake my fist at the sky and tell God to go to hell was the Christian response to the Leila Alcon suicide in late 2014.  The sheer nastiness and bile I saw spewing from Christians convinced me that I wanted absolutely nothing to do with a God that engenders such a lack of empathy and such deep hatred in the hearts of men.  Additionally there was the fact that it was Christianity that directly led to her death.  This was shortly before I started HRT and when I was often praying for my own death each night before sleep.  The whole thing affected me deeply.

I've tried to return once since then - unsuccessfully.  Whatever faith I once had is shriveled and dead.  I don't think anything short of a miracle could bring it back to life and miracles seem to be in short supply these days.

I do appreciate your thoughts though.  They made me think about a few things.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Jacqueline

Deborah,

I am sorry if I spoke in place for you. I have watched many of your posts and your struggles for years. You seem much more settled now. (Now it sounds like I'm patronizing) I guess I was trying to find a way to say that it feels to me like your posts are less anguished. There always seems to be more than one path. We can't assume the one idea we personally believe(or not believe) will be the happy answer for all.

I guess I am done rambling for now.

Warmly,

Jacqui
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

JulieOnHerWay

Deborah
It is good you ponder sin. I for one have given up on the dogma that the Christian version of sin defines.  For me, it is about control.  If the higher ups can convince you that this is a sin or that is a sin, then you will be more compliant to their control.  I can't go there with them on that.  I have a moral code that is developed from many sources that do not involve sin.  It is for the greater good. It is to not hurt.  It is to defend the downtrodden.  It is to not judge for minor infractions.   
Once I gave up this inaccessible high standard of not sinning, life got easier. 
We all have a moral code.  We do not need others to define it for us.  Maybe as children to learn right and wrong, but as adults we need to look at those rules as rules for development.  Not rules for life that gives you pain or make you question what you do that hurts no one is some sort of sin.  So sister, live your life.  Follow your path to happiness.  Live life gently with love to all.  And let god do his judgement thing when that day comes.  I think you and he will be ok with a life spent being yourself.
  •  

Dianne H

Deborah,

Sweetie, don't shake your fist at God because of people. You're better than that.

I know that you are well versed in scripture but that Christianity has done wrong. Honey, it's not Christianity; nor is it god. It's evil men and women who have arisen; a generation of "Christians" in name only. They have surnamed themselves Christ and have lost compassion and love. I know because I am the victim of their hatred as well but in another light.

Oh how I wish I could say more than I am, but I don't have the posts to PM.

Just tonight I was speaking with a friend and I was telling her about two girls at Susans who I knew the Lord knew. They both had been on my mind for a few weeks off and on. I wondered why and decided to pull up this site.

I saw your post and it touched me so deeply.

I guess all I can say is that I saw your last struggle and your fight. I saw how you started coming forward again.

Sweetie, don't give up on God. Without saying much more, I'll just say this, God knws a couple of you girls and has showed you to others whom he knows won't judge you or give up on you either.

I don't know the person you speak of but whatever hatred they showed was uncalled for. They will answer at the judgment seat of Christ for the hate they spewed.

Hatred does happen to all of us at times. Sometimes it may be directed towards gay or transger people and at others towards those who speak the truth or step out of the boat to help those whom those heartless individuals think are evil or lost.

Please; don't give up on God. Don't hate God or Jesus because evil men and women call themselves Christians. God will repay them some day.

What really matters is your soul and that of every person straight, gay, transgender or cisgender who is trying their best.

It has been an honor to read your posts.

Sweetie, take care and may God bless.
  •  

amandam

I refuse to believe that we and Christianity are incompatible. God says he loves us all. Everyone. He wants us to turn to Him. If I am transgender, and I am, I am still loved by God. He will never abandon me. That is His promise to all of us. As far as some Christians go, yes, they are stupid and ignorant. I stay away from those.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

missmolly

I am a very dedicated Christian and go to church weekly. It seems like in the transgender community there is a lot of angst and disdain toward Christians and religion in general. I understand its deserved but isn't generalizing all Christians based on the actions of a few no different toward what others do toward transgender people, generalizing all transgender people based on the actions of a few? Judge the individual, not the group is what I say. Just because one Muslim blows himself up doesn't mean all Muslims are violent, and just because one Christian does something hateful/transphobic doesn't mean all Christians are like that.

I don't think being trans is a sin anyway. You are simply changing your outer appearance, not who you are inside. I feel me being trans will not affect or interfere my walk with the Lord in any way.
  •  

OU812

I think if one's definition of "sin" is like a kind of currency that you earn by deed and are relieved of simply by ritual confession or supposed interpersonal repentance, there's room for that run amok into a blasphemy by which a lifetime of dishonorable or even wicked acts could be freely lived, simply because one knows there is forgiveness at the end. What kind of lifestyle does that promote?

If one's definition of "sin" is as more of a learning prompt by which you grow and evolve as a person or on a spiritual level - so that you eventually don't do bad things in the same way that you know not to pee while sitting on your couch - that's more the kind of theosophy that's actually useful in a sense of serving your being, rather than just applying a magic band-aid so to say. You use the magic band-aid of love with children who don't know any better. But there are a lot of defined "sins" people commit that, quite frankly, they know better - there's just no adult trying to stop them.

Obviously this makes no effort to define "sin" - that's intentional. If you ask Satanists, they describe rape as being the worst possible sin / crime (and there's no 'evil is good' inversion here - I mean quite literally that they condemn the act). But if we were to try defining sin, would that not serve as a reasonable baseline of something to never even have the impulse in your head to do? Understanding the nature of one's interaction with sin is necessary in order for it to actually have any meaning - which since the topic thereof is even being discussed, I'd surmise those here want it to.
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: missmolly on August 24, 2017, 11:54:15 AM.I understand its deserved but isn't generalizing all Christians based on the actions of a few no different toward what others do toward transgender people, generalizing all transgender people based on the actions of a few?
If it were just a few then you would be correct.  But it is not just a few.  It is most who continually vote and act to make trans people's lives miserable and whose actions are killing us.

Also, I am not judging individuals.  I am judging the religion and it is lacking. 

U.S. Army Retired
  •