Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Your favorite trans themed movie?

Started by PurpleWolf, December 16, 2017, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleWolf

1. What is your favorite movie or movies with a transgender/crossdresser/whatever theme? Might be even an imaginary theme that only opened to you  ;D!

Please feel free to give many examples, whatever comes to your mind!

2. What made this movie special to you?

---
Wow... the first one that comes to mind is that Mulan,  ;)! (check the Mulan thread):
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,231756.0.html

If I think really hard, the second one that comes to mind is Tootsie (the old Dustin Hoffman movie) - I thought it was entertaining! But don't really remember much about it - might suck just don't remember  :D!

Third one: Velvet Goldmine
It's not about transness whatsoever - but it has some special significance to me. I identified with the characters a lot. Note: they were guys,  ;).

Fourth one: Should I mention Mrs. Doubtfire  :D? I really liked that movie as a kid!
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Corax

I don't see Mulan as a transsexual themed movie at all. It has cross-dressing in it but that's it.

The only movie (not series) out of that category I found watchable and worth giving it a go was actually 'Romeos'. I wouldn't be opposed to watching it again and that's more than I can say about most transsexual themed movies I have watched so far which were either boring, had worn out stories or were simply misrepresenting in my opinion.

What I liked about that one in particular is that the dude is actually played by a MAN and not by a freaking woman. I don't care about the whole "transpeople should only be played by transpeople" stuff at all and I disagree with that. But I think that a man should be played by a man not by a woman and in that movie a "cis" man plays the role.
The movies that feature "cis" women as men almost always suck because the women aren't able to transport the experiences of a man and apparently aren't able to think themselves into a man in the slightest. And since for whatever mentally challenged reason they have for this, they usually take women actors for transmale roles those movies usually suck and are rubbish.
That was different in this movie, I liked that.

Another thing that was refreshing about it was that the character was actually gay and not straight which is almost never the case as people don't seem to get that being a transsexual man doesn't mean you're automatically into chicks. So this might have made some people aware that gender and sexuality are two separate things.
  •  

big kim

Different for Girls. A well made & enjoyable film
  •  

Elis

Definitely Transamerica.  The lead was played by a cis woman (Felicity Huffman from Desperate Housewives fame) but she plays the character exceptionally well. For once a film shows a realistic portrayal of what being trans is like.

Second to that is the Danish Woman.  Really disliked how the lead was played by a cis man but Redmaye played the part very well. Despite possible historical inaccuracies; it shows to potentially unknowledgeable people how difficult it was being trans in the past; as well as how relationships with your partner can still be positive if the other comes out as trans
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

kayla1618

Boy meets girl

And the youtube short Her Story
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Corax on December 17, 2017, 03:56:15 AM
I don't see Mulan as a transsexual themed movie at all. It has cross-dressing in it but that's it.
I know,  ;). Me neither. But it hit me as a kid!

The only movie (not series) out of that category I found watchable and worth giving it a go was actually 'Romeos'.
That sounds interesting! Might check that out,  ;)!
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Gertrude

The only movie (not series) out of that category I found watchable and worth giving it a go was actually 'Romeos'. I wouldn't be opposed to watching it again and that's more than I can say about most transsexual themed movies I have watched so far which were either boring, had worn out stories or were simply misrepresenting in my opinion.

What I liked about that one in particular is that the dude is actually played by a MAN and not by a freaking woman. I don't care about the whole "transpeople should only be played by transpeople" stuff at all and I disagree with that. But I think that a man should be played by a man not by a woman and in that movie a "cis" man plays the role.
The movies that feature "cis" women as men almost always suck because the women aren't able to transport the experiences of a man and apparently aren't able to think themselves into a man in the slightest. And since for whatever mentally challenged reason they have for this, they usually take women actors for transmale roles those movies usually suck and are rubbish.
That was different in this movie, I liked that.

Another thing that was refreshing about it was that the character was actually gay and not straight which is almost never the case as people don't seem to get that being a transsexual man doesn't mean you're automatically into chicks. So this might have made some people aware that gender and sexuality are two separate things.
I took trans to mean transgender. Cross dressing is such a passé term. Transgender covers a lot more. It's like when a Co-worker used the term transvestite to describe someone that transitioned. He is a Christian conservative though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Sophia Sage

All these are more metaphorical in nature, vis-a-vis the thread's intention...

Gattaca
-- All about someone's physical transition to be the person their genetics said they couldn't be

Alien
-- Getting the alien out of the airlock is an important metaphor for transsexing

A History of Violence
-- Issues of unintended narrative disclosure and how it can bring the unwanted "past person" back to life

Suture
-- All about stepping into a new identity, plus plastic surgery

Blade Runner
-- Deals with "passing" and what it takes to go all the way

Ex Machina
-- Transsexing, escaping the box, and narrative privacy

What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it.
  •  

natalie.ashlyne

My favorite transgender movie is Boy Meets Girl.
  •  

Roll

Pure quality/story wise: The Crying Game. While one of those often criticized retroactively, it's a gritty take on a topic that it was quite ahead of its time on, while combining it with a very interesting topical plot with the IRA stuff. While the treatment of Dill may be considered negative by many, the truth is she was a very strong and well developed character and the relationship, all things considered, was pretty reasonable, particularly for the time. Based on the interaction between Dill and the guy (whose name I can't remember), 20 years later I feel like it would have been a happily ever after for them without the baggage and social issues of the time. Or at least my romanticism always wished that would be the case. ;D

However, "To Wong Foo" holds a special place for me. Objectively it is a completely mediocre movie, and uses the men in dresses trope for pure comedic effect for the most part. But in my life it was one of my first real exposures to anything trans related (because of my age at the time, I didn't see other transgender topic movies until a few years later, since 99% are/were R). Mostly, it was John Leguizamo in the movie that made an impact. Swayze and Snipes, as completely cis male actors, were definitively just men in dresses. Leguizamo however was young, and is naturally on the slim/small side, and looked far more feminine than I'd ever seen a man look. The idea that it was possible for a guy to dress feminine (as they were in drag, not transsexual) and not just be that definitive man in a dress cliche was mind blowing. Any casual experience I had previously (RuPaul, Rocky Horror, random daytime talkshows, etc.) was all stage makeup drag queens or people who still looked entirely masculine no matter what they were wearing (as Swayze and Snipes did). It gave me a hope outside the world of magic or sci-fi(Dr. Jekyll/Ms. Hyde, anime like Ranma 1/2, etc.).
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

big kim

Having enjoyed reading I Want What I Want I would like to see the film. Last time it was on TV (1980s) I tried recording it but a combination of Thai sticks, Special Brew & Old Grandad meant I incorrectly set the video recorder!
  •  

amandam

Quote from: big kim on December 18, 2017, 01:03:22 AM
Having enjoyed reading I Want What I Want I would like to see the film. Last time it was on TV (1980s) I tried recording it but a combination of Thai sticks, Special Brew & Old Grandad meant I incorrectly set the video recorder!

youtube full movie
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

big kim

•  

widdershins

I know it's considered problematic nowadays, but the movie that had the biggest impact on me had to be RHPS. I grew up in a small, ultra-conservative area where there were no gay bars and very few people who dared to be out of the closet at all. But the next town over had a movie theater that help monthly screenings, and that's the first contact I had with any kind of queer community. So even if it doesn't hold up all that well, nothing will ever have the same kind of personal meaning and nostalgia factor for me.
  •  

Jessica

Well then there's "Rocky Horror Picture Show".  First time I wore women's clothes in public was at a midnight showing as a sweet transvestite.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

RobynD

The recent movie "Boy meets Girl" is my current favorite.

•  

Kylo

Ghost in the Shell (Oshii, 1995) always had a faint trans theme to me, being the main character had brain-body disconnect and some curiosity and gripes about her origins, plus she filled a traditionally masculine role as action protagonist and discoverer of new frontiers.

In the end she chooses to become a hybrid and leaves the constrains of her old physical self behind, becoming something new and unique; the motivation behind her choice seems to be in part pure curiosity and part driven by questioning of her own humanity and "realness". The movie shows her transformation from the constrained and controlled existence of being essentially a piece of high-tech government property, to being 'reborn', given the gift of anonymity and presented with infinite possibilities of where to go next in the world. 

Kusanagi (specifically the Kusanagi of this film) was one of the few female protagonists in films I've seen that made a lot of sense to me or that I could identify with.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Julia1996

My favorite 2 are I want what I want. Its a really old movie but it's really good. And ahead of it's time since it was made in the 60s. The other one was trans America.  The danish girl was ok but I didn't relate to the trans character in that one.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Herts_Stephanie

I watched and enjoyed "Boy meets Girl" recently, the story is fairly formulaic, you always know how it's going to end, but most of the charm lies with the lovely trans girl actress playing the lead
  •  

big kim

Finally got to see I Want What I Want 36 years later. Well made & worth watching
  •