Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Family gatherings

Started by punky_glitter, January 29, 2018, 07:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

punky_glitter

Yesterday I had my birthday party (I am 17) and lots of my family came over and as per usual I got so much makeup. As much as I love looking fabulous, if you take one look at me you can tell that I don't wear makeup in order to keep my androgynous look.
But it's not that that bothered me yesterday, someone thinking of me could never bother me. But how many times everyone said "birthday girl or when I said I liked the makeup, they would say "Well she's a girl I know what girls like" and it just kinda hurts inside to hear the wrong pronouns and being called a girl.
I heard phrases like this all day long and each time it was just like the knife in me was being twisted. It made me just want to burst out and come out to everyone but I know I will face judgment if I do. I can deal with she her, whatever. It does bother me but what bothers me more is
How do I stop people from calling me a girl????
He/Him
I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun
They can take your bathrooms, they can take your binders, the can take your makeup
but they can never can they ever take who you are.

You are always valid

•  

Mariah

I would let them know how you feel and what your wishes are in regards to it. I would also probably correct them at every opportunity that presents itself. Family gatherings are tricky and I find myself being the one having to stand up for my spouse and family gatherings now that they have come out as genderfluid. At the same time, my spouse had to stand up for me at my mom's funeral last year because several of my relatives were dead naming me and misgendering me.  All you can do is keep trying and share how you feel. Sadly it takes time and I can only hope they will respect your wishes eventually. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •