Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Time to Reopen Where are All the SOs

Started by Debi, August 16, 2018, 03:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Debi

It's been a while since I've been on Susan's and I just realized that the "Where are all the SOs" thread has been dormant since November. How are you all doing? Being the partner of a loving MtoF wife (we just renewed our wedding vows of a 34 year marriage) I know that becoming an SO can be a difficult place to find yourself. It concerns me that as a small group we are not doing a good enough job of supporting each other. I apologize that I only posted once and didn't follow through. Having support of others that are going through like pieces of life could have made my changes easier. What I have found through the last 9 months is that everyone needs support and I do mean everyone (SOs and transgenders) especially if we want our relationships to work. Lets keep our conversations going.
  •  

Devlyn

<raising hand>

Transgender SO of a transgender woman signing in.  :)
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Devlyn on August 16, 2018, 03:47:25 PM
<raising hand>

Transgender SO of a transgender woman signing in.  :)
Awww snap! X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Katie Jade

Separated after 26 years but we split everything equally and are best friends now. Both so very happy with this as we were going to do harm to each other maybe. And she talks to me properly now - as an equal  (I never asked for anything other than that though). Lots of help and stuff. Going out with her en-femme soon as well. My makeup is better than hers though as is my dress sense, or so she says... pity my figure doesn't match the dresses...
She is still my SO (sort of) for the time being but will always be my best friend.
We now live 3 minutes walk away from each other and visit every other day.

Katie

:angel:

Post Op Sept 2023...... that took a very long time....
  •  

Debi

Hi Katie Jade, your post shows the each relationship is as unique as the individuals in it. I'm glad to hear that in working through you and your SO came through as friends.
Quote from: Katie Jade on August 16, 2018, 06:01:15 PM
Separated after 26 years but we split everything equally and are best friends now. Both so very happy with this as we were going to do harm to each other maybe. And she talks to me properly now - as an equal  (I never asked for anything other than that though). Lots of help and stuff. Going out with her en-femme soon as well. My makeup is better though as is my dress since so she says... pity my figure doesn't match the dresses...
He is still my SO (sort of) for the time being but will always be my best friend.
We now live 3 minutes walk away from each other and visit every other day.

Katie

:angel:
  •  

Debi

One of my biggest fears as I watched my partner transition was the question "who am I?" and how will the fact that he is changing to she, change me, or will it? The answer to the second part has been yes, to make our relationship work I too had to transition and it has been a hard place to go but also a very sweet place. I see how much I have grown and been stretched by all the changes and I feel we are both in a better place in this crazy relationship we have. As for the "Who am I?" question, it's a work in progress.
  •  

Sylvia

I'm still here, still struggling on with the early days. I agree that it is every bit as much a transition for the SOs. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with, but I'm determined to stick around.
Syl
  •  

Saha

Cis male SO checking in

Supporting Kendra during her transition and recuperation has been a beautiful growing closer together

•  

Debi

Hi Sylvia, I commend your determined resilience. Sometimes that is the only thing that gets us through.
  •  

Katie Jade

Quote from: Saha on August 17, 2018, 09:11:29 AM
Cis male SO checking in

Supporting Kendra during her transition and recuperation has been a beautiful growing closer together

Kudos for that Saha,  as you know we all love Kendra here, well done for being so supportive in her time of need.

Luv n Hugz (both of you)

Katie

:angel: :angel: :angel: :o :o :angel: :angel: :-* :-* :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Post Op Sept 2023...... that took a very long time....
  •  

Hikari

I have a trans so and am also trans and she has been giving me lots of supposed as I am recovering from gcs and I think it is making her reconsider, just seeing the physical pain and complications I have had, I just hope I am not stressing her by being as needy as I am but sometimes it really hurts to get up.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Debi

Quote from: Katie Jade on August 17, 2018, 05:35:38 PM
Kudos for that Saha,  as you know we all love Kendra here, well done for being so supportive in her time of need.

Luv n Hugz (both of you)

Katie

:angel: :angel: :angel: :o :o :angel: :angel: :-* :-* :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Ditto
  •  

Debi

Quote from: Hikari on August 18, 2018, 02:47:45 AM
I have a trans so and am also trans and she has been giving me lots of supposed as I am recovering from gcs and I think it is making her reconsider, just seeing the physical pain and complications I have had, I just hope I am not stressing her by being as needy as I am but sometimes it really hurts to get up.

Hikari, you are in a really tough place right now in dealing with the pain and feeling compassion for where your SO is at and how she is dealing with watching you go through all of this. Your partner doubt's about her having surgery could be coming from seeing your pain. Once you get past the pain and into your new normal she will be able to make her choice on surgery based on what she truly desires and not on the process that she has been privy to watching. I remember all the concern I felt for my wife as she had gcs 11 months ago. Time is the healer and once the pain lessened a normalcy of life returned to our relationship but working through the healing time we found that we needed to just hold on as tightly as we could to one another. It is not the time to be making life changing decisions. Hang in there and know that there are people out here who are cheering you on.
  •  

Saha

Thank you  Katie Jade and Debi

She is an amazing woman
  •  

Debi

Hi All,

I haven't been on this thread for a few weeks and just thought I should check in. How is everyone doing? Tia and I are on our honeymoon and have been visiting Canada. We are now back in the USA and are starting our travels down the eastern coast. We are visiting with folks from Susan's as we travel. The computer is with me so if anyone wants to talk just jump on and I will get back to you by nightfall.

Debi
  •  

confusedfairy

Hi!  I've been in the chat room lots and lots, but haven't posted here.  I'm the cisSO of a spouse that is likely still deciding what gender she is.  We've gone through non-binary, female, and are at gender fluid right now.  I came on here learning how to be more supportive and get through this, but unfortunately the personality changes that came with her revelation have made our marriage collapse. 

That said, I've made a lot of good friends here and learned a lot!  And we are a poorly understood group that needs more of a voice, don't we...
  •  

Melanie Jean

Hiya confusedfairy, and welcome to Susan's Place! xx

I'm sorry to hear things aren't so smooth on the homefront, but hopefully there'll be a resolution you can both be happier with. Either way, I'm glad you found this place! Best wishes always!
Love to all.

~Melanie

•  

Debi

Hi Confusedfairy,
I am sorry to hear of your problems with your relationship. I admit that I checked out your first post to the site to find out a little more about your situation. Different stages of life call for different types of advice and you and I are at different places of life. My partner is 70 and I am 65 and had been together for 30 years before she even realized she was a she. I would of had the same feelings you did if all the changes happened in our 30s. It is different at our stage of life. That said I want you to know you are not alone. I do know from personal experience that being part of a transgender couple changes both people and whether the relationship lasts or not you must still deal with the changes that have happened to you. Some of my most upsetting time was when my partner was trying to figure out who and what she was. It was then that I came to the realization that I needed to answer the question "who am I" as part of this couple but more importantly as the individual that I am. So often the SO is seen as a side show secondary to what is happening to the person who is "transitioning". Please do not fall in to that trap. You are both in transition. Hers/his might be more visible, but yours are very much as real from the emotional side. Even without transgender issues, life is change! Your life, your emotions, your thoughts, your being is as important as everyone else. This is a place you can come to ask questions or vent emotions or tell your story. Sometimes telling your story is what it takes to help yourself figure out what your next steps are. Hope you will come back here to share. The door is always open.

Debi, the shorter of the two brides
  •  

confusedfairy

I appreciate all the support!  I've traveled the SO forums on other websites and it's mostly doom and gloom (and in many cases, understandably so), so it's nice to see some happy endings. 

What gets me, and likely will continue to irritate me about this situation:  people outside of our marriage frequently do not understand that our marriage did NOT collapse because I couldn't handle her transition.  I didn't get much chance to try!  She hasn't even started HRT yet (that I'm aware of.)

I would love to vent on here about my marriage but thanks to legal proceedings, really shouldn't. 

So I will ask this:
Anybody else irritated by people who seem to think your SO can just magically stop being transgender, and that this would solve all of your life's worries? 
  •  

Sylvia

I'm still here.

Confusedfairy - sorry to hear things are not working out for you. I know you from the 'other' forum. I had hoped you'd be able to work things out.

'Anybody else irritated by people who seem to think your SO can just magically stop being transgender, and that this would solve all of your life's worries?  '

No, because no one else knows. However, there have been many, many times I've wished, hoped and prayed with all my heart (and I'm not into religion) that he could magically stop being transgender, or at least be wrong about it...of course I know that can't happen.

Hugs to all.
  •