News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

My road towards GCS with Kaiser Permanente

Started by Laurie, September 17, 2018, 07:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurie

Hi Folks,

Yep, you read the title right. This is my thread, Laurie's! I met with the Doctor at Kaiser Northwest's Gender Pathways clinic for my initial meeting and after the usual questions about medications and medical history, she asked what services I was interested in getting from Kaiser. I told her probably GCS but at least an Orchiectomy but more likely the whole thing, a trache shave, and facial electrolysis. She told me what tests results she would need to see or have done, that I need 2 letters for gcs, a letter stating my overall health assessment from oncology my GP and diabetes status. she  ordered some labs she'll need, and after that she'll put in the referral for GCS with Dr. Dugi. It will take about 2 years from referral to surgery.
  For an electrolysis referral all I need to provide is a 6 month history showing testosterone below 100. I can do that easy.
  I think I actually decided to go for GCS today. What have I done?

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Devlyn

This is a road trip of a different colour.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Mariah

Quote from: Devlyn on September 17, 2018, 07:35:05 PM
This is a road trip of a different colour.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Mariah

Congratulations Laurie regardless of what decision you make in end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Laurie

Thanks @Mariah . Think I have decided or at least decided to work towards that end.

@Devlyn  It sure is a different road trip for me regardless of the color. We'll have to see where this road goes.

Laurie

•  

JudiBlueEyes

Quote from: Laurie on September 17, 2018, 07:06:25 PM
...What have I done?
It seems like you've turned a new leaf and are happy.  That will always make us consider new paths.  In all seriousness this is wonderful news Laurie.  As a quiet follower, I'm am thrilled to read this. 
Judi
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

DawnOday

Laurie.. I am so happy for you. I am glad Kaiser has the policy to help us.. I wish I could get GCS but I'll settle for what I can get. Glad you mentioned electrolysis as I was wondering if I can get compensated.
I was so blessed to work with Emily for voice therapy as she was so kind and encouraging. I don't know what I am going to do with myself on the days I normally would visit her. We were both crying on my last day.
I hope all your expectations are met and life goes smooth from here on out. Two years when you're looking forwards seems like a long time. When you are looking behind it seems like yesterday..Hugs my dear.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Jessica

Congratulations on this big step sis! 
Remember your name change and how fast that happened? 
Watch what you wish for!

Now, I have to put that thought out there also to Kaiser.

Hugs and smiles from a California girl

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on September 17, 2018, 08:32:18 PM
Thanks @Mariah . Think I have decided or at least decided to work towards that end.

Wait... what?!

A plan?!

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Laurie on September 17, 2018, 07:06:25 PM
  Hi Folks,

Yep, you read the title right. This is my thread, Laurie's! I met with the Doctor at Kaiser Northwest's Gender Pathways clinic for my initial meeting and after the usual questions about medications and medical history, she asked what services I was interested in getting from Kaiser. I told her probably GCS but at least an Orchiectomy but more likely the whole thing, a trache shave, and facial electrolysis. She told me what tests results she would need to see or have done, that I need 2 letters for gcs, a letter stating my overall health assessment from oncology my GP and diabetes status. she  ordered some labs she'll need, and after that she'll put in the referral for GCS with Dr. Dugi. It will take about 2 years from referral to surgery.
  For an electrolysis referral all I need to provide is a 6 month history showing testosterone below 100. I can do that easy.
  I think I actually decided to go for GCS today. What have I done?

Hugs,
  Laurie

Good for you...Its been a long road for you to arrive at that decision...congrats and I hope your journey brings you all the joy and happiness in the world...you do deserve it :angel:                         
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: JudiBlueEyes on September 17, 2018, 08:34:55 PM
It seems like you've turned a new leaf and are happy.  That will always make us consider new paths.  In all seriousness this is wonderful news Laurie.  As a quiet follower, I'm am thrilled to read this. 
Judi

@JudiBlueEyes  Hi Judi You are right I am happy and it probably does have something to do with my moving forward again. Thank you and you do not need to be silent here in my topics or anyone else's. That is what we are here for, To share our hopes, aspirations, problems and challenges with each other and above all else to support one another.

Quote from: DawnOday on September 17, 2018, 08:55:15 PM
Laurie.. I am so happy for you. I am glad Kaiser has the policy to help us.. I wish I could get GCS but I'll settle for what I can get. Glad you mentioned electrolysis as I was wondering if I can get compensated.
I was so blessed to work with Emily for voice therapy as she was so kind and encouraging. I don't know what I am going to do with myself on the days I normally would visit her. We were both crying on my last day.
I hope all your expectations are met and life goes smooth from here on out. Two years when you're looking forwards seems like a long time. When you are looking behind it seems like yesterday..Hugs my dear.

@DawnOday  Dawn Thank you. I hope you are able to get some compensation for electrolysis. It is expensive! I had voice coaching at the VA and like you both Erin and I had tears as we decided it was my last visit with her. You do build up a rapport with good providers. We still need to meet one of these days so we can exchange hugs for real.

Quote from: Jessica on September 17, 2018, 09:07:20 PM
Congratulations on this big step sis! 
Remember your name change and how fast that happened? 
Watch what you wish for!

Now, I have to put that thought out there also to Kaiser.

Hugs and smiles from a California girl

@Jessica Yes Jess I remember what happened with the name change. I guess this is similar I broached it as "I think" I want GCS or as Kaiser says it GAS (gender affirmation surgery) but somehow I think I have made that decision today.
Now like you say it's probably about time you get them thinking along those lines yourself. You said it now I can harass you about getting it done.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on September 17, 2018, 09:56:10 PM
Wait... what?!

A plan?!

Stephanie

@stephanie  (S(te(p)ha)ni)e Fridge!  Now!  you know better!

Quote from: LizK on September 17, 2018, 10:45:27 PM

Good for you...Its been a long road for you to arrive at that decision...congrats and I hope your journey brings you all the joy and happiness in the world...you do deserve it :angel:                         

@LizK  Thank you Liz. What can I say? You know how far this has been from my thoughts. Being happy can get you thinking in new possibilities as Judi said. I think that is exactly what has happened. While I am at it, I think I'll thank you for all the help you have given me since we met. You more than anyone, know how close a thing it was. Thank you Liz. Love ya.

Hugs for you all,
  Laurie

•  

Kendra

Well there goes Laurie driving beyond more crossroads and the header at top of this page.  Balanced on the Sharp Edge of a Knife. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Michelle_P

Oh, dear.  Sometimes I do wonder if I'm a bad influence on @Laurie.  We've talked quite a bit about Kaiser, the services offered, and what I've had done through their system.

I am trusting that Laurie is looking into the care that she feels she needs, and not being unduly influenced by me and the path I needed to take.  I do know that I can be a Bad Influence.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 18, 2018, 07:14:48 AM
Oh, dear.  Sometimes I do wonder if I'm a bad influence on @Laurie.  We've talked quite a bit about Kaiser, the services offered, and what I've had done through their system.

I am trusting that Laurie is looking into the care that she feels she needs, and not being unduly influenced by me and the path I needed to take.  I do know that I can be a Bad Influence.

I think we do need to be cautious not to get drawn in by the current here, and that everyone, as you mentioned, is getting the care that they need.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Kendra on September 18, 2018, 12:03:16 AM
Well there goes Laurie driving beyond more crossroads and the header at top of this page.  Balanced on the Sharp Edge of a Knife.

@Kendra, this is truly a different road I travel and as ever, I am not sure where it will lead. I have an idea of the destination but there are many distractions on the way. The road can be sharp like a scalpel or straight and boring. I may lose parts of myself along the way and yet reach the end to find myself whole at last.

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 18, 2018, 07:14:48 AM

@Michelle_P  Yes, we have talked about Kaiser, but it had been in my mind before I met you, my dear. If you will recall way back when before we ever met, I was asking questions about Kaiser's gender program and financial costs. No, Michelle you we not an undue influence on my path. I recall talking to @LizK , you, and probably mentioning it here on Susan's, that I was thinking of joining Kaiser to give me options. I said it would open the door to other possibilities and that was what I sort of worried about. I didn't know what I would do beyond going in to talk to the Gender Pathways people. I didn't know that when I did, I would take that step through the door. But I have. Like someone pointed out ( @Jessica ) I could just get what I am asking for. Like when I put those papers in for my name change and poof it was done. The difference this time is I should have about 2 years to change my mind. But for now I think I'll keep going on down this road.
  The only bad influence you were on me was when you kissed me. Thank you. Thank you for giving me that distraction that saved my life.  :icon_flower: :icon_flower: :icon_bunch:

Quote from: Devlyn on September 18, 2018, 07:36:05 AM
I think we do need to be cautious not to get drawn in by the current here, and that everyone, as you mentioned, is getting the care that they need.

Hugs, Devlyn

@Devlyn Yep Dev, You and Michelle are right in that each of us must make our own decisions about what is good for us. I have done that for myself. Since I joined the site I have been heading in this direction one hesitant step at a time. This part of my path is long and with plenty of time to think about it and change my mind if I want. In the mean time I'll stroll along taking time to smell the roses along the way.

@Steph2.0 You can climb down off the fridge now.

Hugs,
  Laurie

•  

LizK

I guess it would be a good few months prior to your getting together with Michelle that you and I touched on the subject of GCS etc etc. I can remember a couple of discussions where we briefly discussed going forward and maybe even as far as GCS but from what I remember you were still making your considerations. We have discussed on a number of occasions, orchies, GCS, FFS and even voice surgery during several of our conversations going back over the last couple of years . I got the distinct impression you had not made up your mind about anything but had also not ruled anything out...since that time we have chatted about my own decision making in regards GCS.

Congratulation on making this momentous decision and you are right, you do have two years before you hit the table along with the prerogative to change your mind without explanation, ....My dear friend...please remember!!...You are worth it!!

Take care

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on September 18, 2018, 10:07:28 PM
@Steph2.0 You can climb down off the fridge now.

Sure. Just when I get comfortable.

Seriously, it's cool that you've reached a decision and are moving forward. The way I'm fighting with gatekeepers, you may be done before me.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

Hi folks,

Since I last updated this thread I have contacted my therapist and asked for his help in obtain my two letter I will need for my GCS referral. His answer was that he was happy to here I had decided to pursue GCS with Kaiser. He said he would be happy to supply me with one letter and talk with my pill pusher the Psychiatry Practical nurse prescribing my antidepressant about writing the second one. He asked when I needed them and said I would need to come in to sign the release paperwork. So it appears that I have the letters covered.
  I also contacted my GP and asked his help on the requirement for a physical assessment and he said the last visit letter summary and lab tests letter should be what Kaiser needs. I will try using those and see if it is good enough. Kaiser Doc also was interested in a recent breathing assessment and I know I do not have a recent one so I can look forward to having that set of tests done again. I needed this tested before they would approve my last cancer  that took about five weeks.
   I also need to attend an OHSU class about vaginoplasty and all that it involves. I have signed up for the next class which is on October 16th. So I am working on getting these things done so I can get that referral.
   For the electrolysis referral she said I needed to show her 6 - 12 months of my total testosterone being below 100 ng/dl. No problem I have printed out a year and a half worth or test results all .7 ng/dl or lower. I will give that to her.

She also ordered a few tests. Among them estradiol and testosterone E was 70 pf/ml and wouldn't you know it,  total T was 101 ng/dl arrrg I hope it doesn't stop the referral.

I have also downloaded my medical record from the VA ( about 13MB ) and will burn a CD of it for her to have and reference. It has all my medical history, test results, and doctor notes back to 2012 and some from before. Kaiser has my previous records up to 2009.

So there you have it.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

LizK

Great to see you have everything well in hand. All sorts of things to get sorted doting the i's and crossing the t's...I am sure you will mange it all and get what you need. The worst part for you is probably going to be when you have to start the "planning part"...I know...I Know and I apologise for swearing in your thread but unfortunately for you, planning (Oops said it again) is just part of the joy of GCS LOL

Congrats and take care my friend
Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: LizK on September 22, 2018, 07:44:15 PM
Great to see you have everything well in hand. All sorts of things to get sorted doting the i's and crossing the t's...I am sure you will mange it all and get what you need. The worst part for you is probably going to be when you have to start the "planning part"...I know...I Know and I apologise for swearing in your thread but unfortunately for you, planning (Oops said it again) is just part of the joy of GCS LOL

Congrats and take care my friend
Liz

Oh, you're in for it now...I'd run Liz!

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•