Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Can you be happy, if you stay in the closet

Started by helenmarie, October 14, 2018, 09:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jk4361

the thought of going out into the world is a worrisome one for me.
perhaps one day I will be ok with going public but for now prefer to remain a private dresser and I feel happy with that for now...
  •  

Wendi

I spent many years in the closet and it worked for me. The urge to go out kept getting stronger and stronger for me so I took the ball and ran with it. I'm happy I did as I feel really go out in public dressed but that's me now.

If you're fine staying in the closet there's nothing wrong with it. At least you're getting a chance to feel what it's like to me more feminine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

•  

ramilove

I think so and people should be happy. Happy in the closet, happy out of the closet, everybody is different, living different lives with different people. What works for one person may not work for another. Myself, right now I am happy out in the open being androgynous, partly male, partly female, gender non conformists who is most happy just being myself.
  •  

randim

It is a very individual thing, but I am finding it hard to stay closeted.  We are social beings, and essentially hiding such an important part of your core self from the world runs counter to our nature.  It makes it difficult to feel truly accepted.I think of that old motivational poster about boats being safe in the harbor, but that's not what boats are for.  Along those lines, you don't need cute shoes just to walk around the house.
  •  

Maid Marion

I've often gone to company dinners and outings and ate with the known gays and lesbians.  Never had any issues socializing with them.
  •  

Rayna

To update my response from last November 10th, I'm now more Ok in public places. I've also evolved more into an androgynous and non-binary presentation. I haven't worn makeup in over a month, yet I wear femme shirts, hats and pants publicly. I went grocery shopping in a very busy store that way today. No problems and I liked the way I felt out where I was visible. As @randim said, we are social beings and it feels good to be with others.

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

Wendi

Quote from: RandyL on May 18, 2019, 11:38:56 PM
To update my response from last November 10th, I'm now more Ok in public places. I've also evolved more into an androgynous and non-binary presentation. I haven't worn makeup in over a month, yet I wear femme shirts, hats and pants publicly. I went grocery shopping in a very busy store that way today. No problems and I liked the way I felt out where I was visible. As @randim said, we are social beings and it feels good to be with others.

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with that. I'm glad you felt good. I do the same thing sometimes if I don't have time to get dolled up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

•  

Robbyv213

There are many risk to benefit factors that come into play. One big obvious one is your physical safety.

Most therapists and even doctors would suggest the very minimum of transition or treatment to satisfy or overcome the symptoms of each individual. Some can be perfectly happy dressing in private. Some need hormones, others need to fill transition and be passable. It is different for everyone based on the level and severity of their symptoms.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Yes, you can. But if you leave the closet you may find a wonderful world of experiences.
Not everything has been rosey after I left the closet but I am happy.

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Sarah B

Hi Everyone

Closet?  No, I was never in the closet figuratively or literally.  Well I was isolated and naive about the world and I did not really know what the word closet meant in that sense.  Yes, I did get dressed completely as a female and just before I started to change my life around, I was wearing more feminine clothing underneath my daily work clothes.

I never saw that what I was doing at the time, that there was anything wrong with what I was doing.  What I was doing just felt right, although I knew in a sense, that cross dressing was basically a no no at the time.

Which leads to the point, why was I not coming "out of the closet" in your terms?  I keep saying and I will keep saying it, I'm a private, quite, shy person and not saying anything about my 'medical condition', ensured that I was always safe, even when I did change my life around, I never said anything, because my safety was paramount.

I may have been naive about what I was doing.  However, my instincts on being quite, was innate inside me and hence why I have never had any troubles in how I have lived my life.  If you really want to say; "I'm in the closet" then I'm still in the closet and I'm not happy, but extremely happy.

As I have mentioned in some of "Sarah B's Story", one particular Christmas, it was between Dec 1987 and Jan 1988, that there was a fundamental shift in the way my life was going.  During my travels at that time, which was about a week.  Sarah was living her life as much as possible during that time.  Was she conscious of what she was doing?  No, she was just living day to day.  She was on holidays for the first time in her life, what a way to start one's new life, anew!

I will also keep on saying I never 'transitioned', in Feb 1989, I just changed my clothes and Sarah continued living her life.  She was never in a closet so to speak, she was never restricted in what she has done with her life, she has had a wonderful life so far and she has never regretted anything in what she has done.

To you, did I come out of the closet?  No, I'm still there!

Love and Hugs
Sarah B
Official Greeter
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

LoriDee

For some, it is possible to find happiness. Everyone transitions to their own satisfaction. Some may need the full treatment with surgery. Others might be content with underdressing. There is no right or wrong.

For me, I need the full treatment, but I am quickly realizing that I may never achieve that. I am happier than I have ever been in my life, but my goal is to be happiest.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •