Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

You ever hate passing.

Started by roseyfox, November 07, 2018, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Nicki

Don't complain about it, count your blessings and try to make this a better world for the rest who aren't as lucky.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

No.  I would not hate passing.

I prefer to blend in, not to stand out.

If others do not mind to stand out or go counter to societal conventions, that is okay for them, it is just not me.

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: roseyfox on December 31, 2018, 02:54:18 PM
I believe you missunderstood the context of the argument. It not that I hate how I look but rather we are judge on are looks. I hate that those who past are treated better and given more equality than those who don't. Therefore the notion of passing has become a tool to punish those who don't and reward those that do. It a who argument about teaching Tran people to love themselves no matter how they look. An teaching society that passing isn't about looks. An how if someone does not pass then they are punished and are given less rights in the reality of it. An no I don't need reassurance lol. Because no matter how I look I know I am beautiful. The reason why is because I love myself an know who I am.

Posting those pics in transpassing which I don't do anymore. Was like I said not to be reassured but to see were I stood in the view of this society and how I be judged and understand why. But after much deliberation I have there is not a lot of good data or information that can be pulled because it is sadly biased in my favor. The amount of praise compared to critism at varying levels seem to be the same no matter what. Now when I went into the film industry that is we're I learned we're I stand in the reality of things. An got a equal amount of criticism with praise. So the only time you would say I would try to look a certain way is during a shot.

I remember when I was in that phase wondering if I really was being viewed as a woman or if I was being pandered to. I took my photos and put them up on Match, didn't mention boo about being trans and paid for a month of service. The sheer number of messages I got from men was a huge confidence booster for me.

I can understand why it is depressing for people that are not as lucky and I agree that it is a double standard. However that is how people are. Many people cannot handle critical thinking so labels and categorization has to be implemented. I thank my stars though that I do pass if only to make my life easier. I can honestly say that I do not know if I would have been able to transition if I had thought I would still be viewed as a guy. In many ways those that go through this are far more courageous then I.

It's not perfect for people that pass though. Being intimate in my opinion requires being honest and many men freak out. It can be very painful at times.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 02, 2019, 07:53:42 AM
No.  I would not hate passing.

I prefer to blend in, not to stand out.

If others do not mind to stand out or go counter to societal conventions, that is okay for them, it is just not me.

Chrissy
I also want to blend in, but me being 6' tall, prevents blending into the crowd pretty much.  And I like to wear shoes with a little higher heels, and that does not help either with blending in.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Jenny1969

I have only one thing to say.....This >-bleeped-< is hard.  It takes time and money to look good.   Lots of time......who knew.  (but I'm loving every minute ((hour)) of it

Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Jenny1969 on January 02, 2019, 10:57:35 AM
I have only one thing to say.....This >-bleeped-< is hard.  It takes time and money to look good.   Lots of time......who knew.  (but I'm loving every minute ((hour)) of it

Before transitioning it was cheap and easy day to day because I didn't care how I looked and walls are cheap.

I'm glad that you are doing well. That is what it is all about, making us comfortable in our skin.
  •  

Brenda80

Coming from an Asian perspective, honestly passing is extremely detrimental not about just purely wanting to be a woman. It's about survival. And in many way impact your life that can possibly drive you to being suicidal. In fact this is so important, that some psychiatrist back here deem it as part of assessment before granting the green light, well basically no need to come to that stage, RLT will be the hurdle that is required to be crossed. More than often many Asian GID first thoughts are 'Can I pass well?'

Why is it important?
Firstly, employment.
Asia being always perceived to be conservative and irregardless of policies put in place by corporate management, it is always present. You cant control the mindset of the employees that works below the TOP. You will see doors being shut upon declaring yourself as a transgender or good opportunities for career growth being halted. That is reality here. No matter how hard you try to overcome with your able capabilities, once you are discovered or identified; all the effort are deem useless. Without a job, meaning no income, where does that lead you to? Guess the answer is pretty obvious.

Second, mental pressure.
Can one take the mental stress of general public taking stares and viewing you like an animal, sure you can stare back, but how many can you stare. It's yourself against an army of homophobic. The stares, the gossip and physical expression of disgust will drop your confidence to negative not to even say zero. Passing often eliminates this but it also creates another form of mental stress which is uncertainty and suspicion of those around you. Constantly your mind will be clocking out everyone who puts a stare to you for more than 10sec. Your mind will be flooding with queries and fears of 'Can he/she spot me?' This creates the insecurity that can never be eliminated, no matter how well you or your close one/friends THINK you can pass. Both can drive you into extreme depression at many times.

Third, relationship.
Can assure you it is extremely hard to even find a partner in Asia if you deem to be unpassable especially if your sexual inclination is F looking for M or M looking for F. You probably have betterc chances looking for same gender partners or Gays or Les relationship. But then again for a transgender women looking for a gay man, probably that isn't his cup of tea as well. So you are stuck as more than often most Asian man criteria in selection is still primarily based on looks.

Of course they are other factors such as living Everyday life activities eg, using the toilet, crossing customs at airports and etc.

Passing is extremely a must in my opinion if you intend to live a much more peaceful life. Passing also means living in stealth whilst most may disagree with what I had mentioned.
  •  

jess2179

Nope passing is awesome! Living life just like I did pre transition but looking like the girl I've always been is such an amazing feeling. Getting to live an almost completely cis normative life where you never think about your gender is relieving. Getting to be "done" with transition and moving on with your life is incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Brenda80 on January 18, 2019, 01:17:34 AM
Asia being always perceived to be conservative and irregardless of policies put in place by corporate management, it is always present. You cant control the mindset of the employees that works below the TOP. You will see doors being shut upon declaring yourself as a transgender or good opportunities for career growth being halted. That is reality here. No matter how hard you try to overcome with your able capabilities, once you are discovered or identified; all the effort are deem useless. Without a job, meaning no income, where does that lead you to? Guess the answer is pretty obvious.

I am not quite sure in which part of Asia you have resided, but that is a stereotype. Asian countries tend to be more accepting and open-minded than other regions of the world, because of the influence of Buddhism.

Those few people who have ever explicitly expressed their hate to me as m2f transgender were all Judo-Christians in the U.S. Here in S. Korea, I have never faced any discrimination. Of course, there were some fuss whenever I tried to get a new job. But my performance had to overcome it.

I teach at a national university while wearing miniskirt and high heels, while I have never been on HRT. I guess all hundreds of university staffs and faculty members know my name, which I am now no longer surprised at. I don't need my name cards. My Facebook activity certainly has contributed it, as many people say they got to know me through Facebook. I got a tenure position about 5 years ago, and sometimes lecture for elementary school students.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: jess2179 on January 18, 2019, 02:17:43 AM
Nope passing is awesome! Living life just like I did pre transition but looking like the girl I've always been is such an amazing feeling. Getting to live an almost completely cis normative life where you never think about your gender is relieving. Getting to be "done" with transition and moving on with your life is incredible.

Can one ever be done with transition?  Can you ever fully forget that your life started out as a guy?  I don't know if i can!
And I had a way better start than many of you, and biologically never was a "real" guy!  But I never will be a "real" woman either, because I still have some male parts inside me (even if he outside of my body looks like that of a cis woman).  I don't really know if we ever can be done with transition?

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Dietlind on January 18, 2019, 10:08:25 AM
Can one ever be done with transition?  Can you ever fully forget that your life started out as a guy?  I don't know if i can!

I am essentially done with social transition, and medical transition once the docs deliver a few final tweaks in a couple of months.  (Anything past that is just the vanity of this older woman.)

I was never a 'guy'.  I was someone with that Assigned Male At Birth body, but that has been addressed.  No, I will never forget playing that male role for much of my life.  That is simply part of who I am, one of the rare individuals who has transcended gender.   My past gives me unique insights into my nature and my culture that others rarely are even aware of, and I treasure that.

I am.  I am myself.  That was the goal, and I have crossed it.

The drive and focus that I once used for my transition can now be redirected to other purposes, another gift from my unique path through life.  I am still deciding exactly how I want to apply it, but it will be for the betterment of life for those like us who are still in the shadows.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Linde

Because I never had, and still do have not any clear gender identity.  I never had any feeling for being a male or a female.  I was told I was a guy, it tried to be one.  Playing a guy did work for quite q while, and I think I was kind of good at it, but failed after a while. 
I know as a fact that I am more female than male with my biology (and of course, always were, genome analysis told me), and I am now trying to live the female roll of my body.  I don't even know if I am really transitioning, or am I just reclaiming the large part of my body that was suppressed all the time?  But that male part is still inside me, and I can do what I want, I cannot eliminate it.  That allows me to be gender fluid, and act male if I see an advantage in it.  However, my default gender is female, because that is what most of my body is.

•  

jess2179

Quote from: Dietlind on January 18, 2019, 10:08:25 AM
And I had a way better start than many of you, and biologically never was a "real" guy!  But I never will be a "real" woman either, because I still have some male parts inside me (even if he outside of my body looks like that of a cis woman).  I don't really know if we ever can be done with transition?
Yeah I mean I could care less what my chromosomes are. After srs I will have mostly the right genitals I pass 100% and my voice is fine so I'll consider myself done with transition. Lots of girls hit a point where while they don't forget the past it just because part of their personal medical history that doesn't effect them in day to day life in any way what so ever other than the fact they can't get pregnant

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: jess2179 on January 18, 2019, 03:51:41 PM
Yeah I mean I could care less what my chromosomes are. After srs I will have mostly the right genitals I pass 100% and my voice is fine so I'll consider myself done with transition. Lots of girls hit a point where while they don't forget the past it just because part of their personal medical history that doesn't effect them in day to day life in any way what so ever other than the fact they can't get pregnant

I've never had anyone demand to inspect my chromosomes.  My genitals are my own business, and any stranger who asks has no chance of ever seeing them.  They've just doomed any chance of a relationship with that clumsy query.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Julia1996

I will never hate or regret being passable. To me that idea is just crazy. Being totally passable has been my absolute goal from the start of my transition. Having achieved that goal why would I ever regret it? I don't understand the point of your post.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •