Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

My HRT Journey - -Updates

Started by GordonG, December 18, 2018, 08:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonG

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 21, 2019, 08:50:41 PM
@GordonG
No on-call doctor filling in to handle thier patients???  Blood test results will dictate when, how fast, and the correct dosages prior to your surgery date.
You really need professional medical advice perhaps from you surgeon would be best because it is the surgeon in your doctor's absence that knows exactly what the answer will be for your unique situation based on your blood test numbers.

When is your planned surgery date? ???
Hugs,
Danielle

The medical clinic I'm going to has only one person who sees transgender patients. The surgeon who is doing the Orchi is just a urologist, he knows nothing about hormones. It really is a weird situation. I just may contact the nurse again and strongly suggest that she contact him because I need an answer prior to March when he is available. My surgery date is Feb 15th.
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Linde

You can get cold turkey off of Spironolactone, but it may cause you blood pressure to rise quite a bit.  I really depends on the reason it was prescribed for.  In my case I use it as a diuretic (it's nick name is water pill), and I would need another diuretic when I stop it.
You could check with your pharmacist, bcause they know what it was prescribed for and ho you can stop it best.  The pharmacist is definitely a better source for medication information than a surgeon is (and in many cases they know more about the stuff than the prescribing doctor who looked into his Merck Register to find the medication).
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Janes Groove

Quote from: GordonG on January 21, 2019, 08:58:50 PM
The surgeon who is doing the Orchi is just a urologist, he knows nothing about hormones.

Spiro is a pretty common drug.  I'm sure the urologist has had lots of patients who were/are taking spiro.  Any surgeon has gone thru extensive training on how to deal with all the various medications their patients are taking and whether or not they have to slowly stop, go cold turkey, or don't stop at all.  I would ask the surgeon.
For example if you are taking baby aspirin, which many of us take along with estrogen, he might ask you to stop taking that a week or 2 before surgery to avoid excessive bleeding.
  •  

GordonG

I got this email today from the nurse
"We got an an answer back from endocrinology. We're told you can stop the Spironolactone the day before the surgery. You don't need to taper it.
Connie, RN"

I've read on a transgender hormone forum that it is not good to quit Spiro cold turkey, yet that is what she is telling me to do. I'm thinking that since the surgery is 3 weeks from tomorrow that I'll go down by a quarter of my dose per week.

Does this sound OK? Anyone else been through this?
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: GordonG on January 24, 2019, 08:15:30 PM
"We got an an answer back from endocrinology. We're told you can stop the Spironolactone the day before the surgery. You don't need to taper it.
Connie, RN"

I've read on a transgender hormone forum that it is not good to quit Spiro cold turkey, yet that is what she is telling me to do. I'm thinking that since the surgery is 3 weeks from tomorrow that I'll go down by a quarter of my dose per week.

I've done this for two surgeries before I was off spiro (the 2nd was GCS :) ).  It doesn't appear to cause any problem.  It takes weeks for testosterone to rise significantly, and several days before blood pressure becomes significantly affected.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Janes Groove

I stopped taking Spiro about a year and a half ago.  I did it cold turkey as per my doc's advice.
No problems whatsoever.
  •  

AnneK

QuoteDoes this sound OK?

I'd say go with what the endocrinologist says, not what you read on the Internet.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Julie -2010

Quote from: GordonG on January 14, 2019, 07:40:39 PM
Great news. I'm now scheduled for surgery on Feb 15th. I'll be paying for it myself seeing how my insurance won't do it now. I'd have to wait till October for them to "maybe" pay for it. Since I plan on retiring this year, I want to go ahead and get it done.
Congrats on a date, sorry you have to pay for it.  I waiting on my two letter to get my Orchiectomy scheduled.  Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.  I'm two years on HRT and thank goodness my insurance will pay for it.

Julie
"me to be my true and authentic self, my own person, one who belonged to the infinitely loving Creator, with all the inherent flaws that come with it."  - Jonathan S. Williams
  •  

Linde

Connie, RN"

Why would you do this?  The literature says it is Ok to stop cold turkey, your endo says it is ok to stop, and you think some people on the internet know it better?
But you can do it either way, it does not make any real difference.

•  

jill610

My last dose of spiro was the day before my grs. All my drs agreed the only thing I needed to end prior was the estrogen (which not everyone agrees with, including me). It was fine, I only noticed some increase in edema due to not having the diuretic effect and that went away within a few days.

•  

Susan R

Connie, RN"

Hi Gordon, I was on Spironolactone for 3 months and due to a lowering kidney function rate was immediately taken off the medication cold turkey.  That was on Dec 24.  I orinnally was put on the med Sept 25 in ever increasing doses so I was concerned.  I asked if it was ok to get off so fast but was again told that cold turkey is fine.  It was fine.  I stopped and had no negative effects.

Susan R🌷
Began HRT - Sept. 25, 2018
Out to all/Full time - May 19, 2019
  •  

JanePlain

Quote from: MikeP on January 03, 2019, 09:38:41 PM
This all sounds great!  I just started spiro and the clinic I am connected with is very pro orchiectomy after a trial of HRT.  Something that was very encouraging for us with genital dysphoria is they understand and would set you up to be a fully functional eunuch.  Most doctors dont understand the eunuch concept.  This is all great.  I sent you a PM too.

Just wanted to put in a vote on my experience with the whole "eunuch" concept.  The idea of not having a mix of hormones or rather no hormones other then what you get from your addrenal glands was for me a very depressing, foggy brain and just lousy experience.  I had to deal with that for a year after cancer surgery (To make sure it was all cut out.  Then I tried Testosterone with Arimidex to control the conversion to estrogen (testosterone myself into maleness)  and that was a bit better then nothing.  But the best combination for me and my gender issues is estrogen with a little bit of testosterone. 
  •  

GordonG

Quote from: JanePlain on February 03, 2019, 02:11:10 AM
Just wanted to put in a vote on my experience with the whole "eunuch" concept.  The idea of not having a mix of hormones or rather no hormones other then what you get from your addrenal glands was for me a very depressing, foggy brain and just lousy experience.  I had to deal with that for a year after cancer surgery (To make sure it was all cut out.  Then I tried Testosterone with Arimidex to control the conversion to estrogen (testosterone myself into maleness)  and that was a bit better then nothing.  But the best combination for me and my gender issues is estrogen with a little bit of testosterone.

Thanks for your post Jane. I've been a member of "The Eunuch Archive" for a while now and can really identify with it. That is my goal is to become a feminine eunuch.

Orchi is 10 days away!

E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Linde

Quote from: GordonG on February 04, 2019, 08:48:17 PM
Thanks for your post Jane. I've been a member of "The Eunuch Archive" for a while now and can really identify with it. That is my goal is to become a feminine eunuch.

Orchi is 10 days away!
I will find out tomorrow, when mine is.  Because of my medical problem with the little guys, they want to take me in as soon as they have a slot free.  I have the benefit that the health insurance will pay for it, because it is a required medical procedure for me.
What is he benefit to become an eunuch?  Your face has so much potential to be a pretty woman!

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: GordonG on February 04, 2019, 08:48:17 PM

Orchi is 10 days away!

@GordonG
...  Congratulations on your confirmed Orchi surgery date...

10 days from your post comment last night...
....hmmm, isn't that going to be February 14th... Valentine's Day ???  ;) :o
So very interesting!!!

Wishing you well,
HUGS,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

GordonG

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on February 05, 2019, 09:19:27 AM
@GordonG
...  Congratulations on your confirmed Orchi surgery date...

10 days from your post comment last night...
....hmmm, isn't that going to be February 14th... Valentine's Day ???  ;) :o
So very interesting!!!

Wishing you well,
HUGS,
Danielle

Did I miscount? It's actually February 15th.

E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Julie -2010

Quote from: GordonG on February 05, 2019, 01:06:36 PM
It's actually February 15th.

Congrats on the date.  I have my first letter and the second should be on its way soon to get my Orchi scheduled.  I'm hoping early March.  I needed two from my insurance to get it scheduled.

Julie
"me to be my true and authentic self, my own person, one who belonged to the infinitely loving Creator, with all the inherent flaws that come with it."  - Jonathan S. Williams
  •  

Linde

Quote from: GordonG on February 05, 2019, 01:06:36 PM
Did I miscount? It's actually February 15th.
I was scheduled today for Feb 22nd.
By that time you should feel OK again, and could come to hold my hand!  :angel:

•  

pamelatransuk

Gordon

As promised earlier, I shall be thinking of you on Friday 15th.

Linde

I shall be thinking of you on Friday 22nd.

Julie

I note you are now scheduling and hope they grant your wish for early March.

I am sure it will all go well for the 3 of you.

Hugs

Pamela  xx

•  

Linde

Quote from: pamelatransuk on February 09, 2019, 05:44:29 AM
Gordon

As promised earlier, I shall be thinking of you on Friday 15th.

Linde

I shall be thinking of you on Friday 22nd.

Julie

I note you are now scheduling and hope they grant your wish for early March.

I am sure it will all go well for the 3 of you.

Hugs

Pamela  xx
Thank you for your good wishes Pamela!

And iI would also wish my 2 other, pretty soon testicle free, co-contributors here all the best!

•