Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Jess’s progesterone experiences

Started by Jessica, March 10, 2019, 12:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

I finally found documentation that supported my thoughts on the benefits of taking Progesterone along with Estradiol and Spironolactone.  I contacted my endocrinologist to present my case.  He has known that I've been interested in progesterone.  After he read the newest article in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, he agreed to give me a starting dosage for three months and see how I do.  It's in the mail, probably here in a few days.

The article I refer to is detailed in the thread Progesterone Is Important for Transgender Women's Therapy

I started E and spiro nearly 20 months ago.  My levels were in February at, Estradiol: 122 pg/mL
Testosterone: 21 ng/dL.  Because of those good numbers I requested to reduce my spiro dosage.

I'm anticipating some changes when I start.  I understand that breast growth can include ductal development after taking progesterone and bone density is purported to increase.
I plan to request a bone density test to create a baseline to measure if it is true, though of course if it isn't evident in my results, it could be different than others.
I don't buy into some people's thoughts that mood can be effected dramatically.  I will be taking an bio-identical micronized progesterone, which has evidenced not to have that side effect.

I must stress that there isn't enough information gathered to have a clear picture.
So I will update this thread as I start this stretch of transition road.  Giving highlights, good and bad, dramatic or insignificant.

Stay tuned.  Hopefully this will help give an idea of what may occur.

Hugs and smiles, Jessica 🌸🌸🌸

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Jessica on March 10, 2019, 12:30:18 AM
I finally found documentation that supported my thoughts on the benefits of taking Progesterone along with Estradiol and Spironolactone.  I contacted my endocrinologist to present my case.  He has known that I've been interested in progesterone.  After he read the newest article in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, he agreed to give me a starting dosage for three months and see how I do.  It's in the mail, probably here in a few days.

The article I refer to is detailed in the thread Progesterone Is Important for Transgender Women's Therapy

I started E and spiro nearly 20 months ago.  My levels were in February at, Estradiol: 122 pg/mL
Testosterone: 21 ng/dL.  Because of those good numbers I requested to reduce my spiro dosage.

I'm anticipating some changes when I start.  I understand that breast growth can include ductal development after taking progesterone and bone density is purported to increase.
I plan to request a bone density test to create a baseline to measure if it is true, though of course if it isn't evident in my results, it could be different than others.
I don't buy into some people's thoughts that mood can be effected dramatically.  I will be taking an bio-identical micronized progesterone, which has evidenced not to have that side effect.

I must stress that there isn't enough information gathered to have a clear picture.
So I will update this thread as I start this stretch of transition road.  Giving highlights, good and bad, dramatic or insignificant.

Stay tuned.  Hopefully this will help give an idea of what may occur.

Hugs and smiles, Jessica [emoji254][emoji254][emoji254]
I bet you develop c-cups quicker than one can say pre-menstral tension !

Kindest regards, Kirsten.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

KayXo

In breasts, estrogen stimulates the growth of the ductal system, while lobular development depends on progesterone, making breasts fuller, rounder and able to secrete more milk.

At the moment, experts in transgender treatment admit (in a recent article published) that more research is needed and we don't know whether progesterone helps with breast development/feminization, the evidence is too sparse. Anecdotally, some girls report positive effects.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Jessica

@KayXo

Quote from: KayXo on March 10, 2019, 09:07:58 AM
In breasts, estrogen stimulates the growth of the ductal system, while lobular development depends on progesterone, making breasts fuller, rounder and able to secrete more milk.

At the moment, experts in transgender treatment admit (in a recent article published) that more research is needed and we don't know whether progesterone helps with breast development/feminization, the evidence is too sparse. Anecdotally, some girls report positive effects.

Thank you Kay for your absolutely correct information.  I'm hoping now that more transgender women will be prescribed progesterone so research data can be compiled.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Jessica

One other thing I'm anticipating is better sleep.  Even though I average between 6-7 hours every night, I feel it could be more. 
Progesterone is recommended to be taken at night due to the effect of making you feel sleepy.

•  

Linde

Quote from: Jessica on March 10, 2019, 12:38:48 PM
One other thing I'm anticipating is better sleep.  Even though I average between 6-7 hours every night, I feel it could be more. 
Progesterone is recommended to be taken at night due to the effect of making you feel sleepy.
This would be a big benefit for me, because my average night sleep is 5 to 6 hours!  This makes me to take a nap in the early afternoon.  I get my 7 to 8 hours of total sleep in most 24 hour periods, but it would be nice not to waste part of the day with sleeping.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

TonyaW

I'm averaging about the same according to my Fitbit, but I hit 7+ hours seven  times in the last 3 months taking the progesterone where it was just once in three months prior to starting.  I'd been taking it at about 5pm with my second spiro dose but plan to switch that to bedtime when I get my refill tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Linde

I was hoping that my sleep pattern would improve now that I am liberated from spiro, but it has not changed at all.
Increased estrogen seems not have any effect on sleeping either (I monitor my sleep with my Samsung smart watch, which is, according to Consumer Report, pretty accurate in monitoring bodily functions).

If progesterone could zonk me out for an additional 2 hours per night, just that alone would be worth the while for taking this stuff! 
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Asakawa

I can also report the good benefit of sleeping more while on progesterone oral micronized. When I first started to take it I would be able to sleep longer at night, about 2 hours more, and also if I ended up taking it during the day I would end up taking a nap! And Naps were almost never something I ever took due to my anxiety issues; always too tight strung. Progesterone helped alot for sleep.

However, after I started Dutasteride the sleepy effect got greatly reduced. I think it is due to the blockage of the 5areductace enzyme which is also able to take in progesterone and convert it to allopregnanolone and I believe it was the allopregnanolone which caused me to get sleepy and also hungry at least from what I recall. Hungry was also good because at times I just don't eat as much as I could. Now I almost feel immune to the sleepy effect of progesterone.... almost.

Also, thank you for the article. I will print this and show it to me doc next time I am up for a visit; 2 months. I want to be switched from oral progesterone to inj progesterone in oil. Reason being that oral progesterone does a double pass through the liver because it uses the portal vein from the intestine first, which goes straight to the liver, before going into main circulation. So the med does a double pass which I feel is double the work. Short term I think it is ok, but long term for the rest of my life it isn't. Also my doc has me on <dosage removed> daily. That's <dosage removed> weekly which I feel is too much. Even if my body doesn't absorb it all I am still putting <dosage removed> in my body per week. If it was inj progesterone in oil it would only be a small tiny fraction of that because of bio ability of injectables. I am seriously concerned. My doc says there is no data suggesting damage or issues with oral micronized P, but how long were the studies? Were they 30+ 50+ years? Long Term? I started HRT when i was 21 and I am going to be 34 in april. I still have a way to go. At least 30 more years i'd hope! I'd rather just be on inj pio with a much smaller dosage instead of this huge amount that is being placed inside my body.

So thank you for the article.

Also, I did notice a lot of rounding and filling of my breasts. They just looked so much fuller and I had a history with tubular breasts for the longest time. And I had started with inj EV I believe just a few months after starting hrt at 21 and the tubular breasts had been an issue since. Progesterone seemed to greatly help with the rounding. I also have the goal of being able to lactate at some point I just need things to align properly and if it helps with the lobules to secrete more milk then that is great news.

<dosages removed by moderator>
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Asakawa on March 10, 2019, 05:33:42 PM
I can also report the good benefit of sleeping more while on progesterone oral micronized. When I first started to take it I would be able to sleep longer at night, about 2 hours more, and also if I ended up taking it during the day I would end up taking a nap! And Naps were almost never something I ever took due to my anxiety issues; always too tight strung. Progesterone helped alot for sleep.

However, after I started Dutasteride the sleepy effect got greatly reduced. I think it is due to the blockage of the 5areductace enzyme which is also able to take in progesterone and convert it to allopregnanolone and I believe it was the allopregnanolone which caused me to get sleepy and also hungry at least from what I recall. Hungry was also good because at times I just don't eat as much as I could. Now I almost feel immune to the sleepy effect of progesterone.... almost.

Also, thank you for the article. I will print this and show it to me doc next time I am up for a visit; 2 months. I want to be switched from oral progesterone to inj progesterone in oil. Reason being that oral progesterone does a double pass through the liver because it uses the portal vein from the intestine first, which goes straight to the liver, before going into main circulation. So the med does a double pass which I feel is double the work. Short term I think it is ok, but long term for the rest of my life it isn't. Also my doc has me on <dosage removed> daily. That's <dosage removed> weekly which I feel is too much. Even if my body doesn't absorb it all I am still putting <dosage removed> in my body per week. If it was inj progesterone in oil it would only be a small tiny fraction of that because of bio ability of injectables. I am seriously concerned. My doc says there is no data suggesting damage or issues with oral micronized P, but how long were the studies? Were they 30+ 50+ years? Long Term? I started HRT when i was 21 and I am going to be 34 in april. I still have a way to go. At least 30 more years i'd hope! I'd rather just be on inj pio with a much smaller dosage instead of this huge amount that is being placed inside my body.

So thank you for the article.

Also, I did notice a lot of rounding and filling of my breasts. They just looked so much fuller and I had a history with tubular breasts for the longest time. And I had started with inj EV I believe just a few months after starting hrt at 21 and the tubular breasts had been an issue since. Progesterone seemed to greatly help with the rounding. I also have the goal of being able to lactate at some point I just need things to align properly and if it helps with the lobules to secrete more milk then that is great news.

<dosages removed by moderator>

Thank you so much for relating your experience.  Very interesting real life information.

You may have noticed that the dosages you provided were removed (they aren't allowed on the site), but the text was important to preserve.
Thank you for sharing.

•  

Jessica

Hi all, I took my first dose of progesterone last night.....
I slept for 9 hours, that's an increase of 2-3 more than my average.  I have to admit though that the previous night I had only 4 because of a bit of anxiety due to insecurities from issues with my wife. (It's better now)
During last night I woke just once to pee and found my sleep shirt soaked with sweat, that is unusual considering it was a cool night.  After putting on a dry one, I found myself now cold.....interesting.

•  

Jessica

I also want to put on record my measurements at this point so I can validate any changes in breast size and fat redistribution.

For individual breast growth I measure from the spot on the clavicle straight up from the nipple to the crease below.

Rhonda is 11 1/2"
Lucy is 11 1/4"
They both were 8 3/4" when I started HRT 1 1/2+ years ago.
Both are doing the Snoopy nose at the moment, and from experience, they should round out in about a week.  We will see if the progesterone will effect that.

My bust is 41" (an increase of 4")
Band is 36" (decreased by 2")
Waist is 35" (decreased by 3")
Hips are 42" (increase of 4")
Thighs are 23 1/2" (increase of 3 1/2")

Hugs and smiles, Jessica

•  

KayXo

Quote from: Jessica on March 12, 2019, 12:10:53 PM
Hi all, I took my first dose of progesterone last night.....
I slept for 9 hours, that's an increase of 2-3 more than my average.  I have to admit though that the previous night I had only 4 because of a bit of anxiety due to insecurities from issues with my wife. (It's better now)
During last night I woke just once to pee and found my sleep shirt soaked with sweat, that is unusual considering it was a cool night.  After putting on a dry one, I found myself now cold.....interesting.

Those night sweats could be due to progesterone's 1) anti-estrogenic effect 2) body temperature increase. I got that as well. ;)
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Myranda

Thanks Jess.  It will be interesting to see you chronicle this in detail.  I too am on P, but I haven't been keeping track of things at all really.

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Good evening Ladies,

Today I recieved a prescription for Besins Prometrium from my Endo Doctor.( smiling big time!)

The advice I was given was that it may or may not be beneficial. It is considered amongst the safest progesterone medications.

There was the suggestion that future extra breast growth could be the result of water retention/ bloating or maybe development of breast tissue structures.

Also the effect on mood may prove to be positive or negative. Some patients have reported feeling off or "flat" some always feel better with it.

My doctor suggested non-cycling rgimen to maximise mood and minimise side effects- I will follow this advice for 2 months.

At 2 months it will be reassesed and continued?

In the morning I will measure vital dimensions to get a baseline for future growth.

Yours with anticipation, Kirsten xx.

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Laurie

Kirsten, Additional breast growth would be nice, yes. But at my age 66 I will be thankful for any and all of the other benefits micronized progesterone might possibly bestow on me. They are far more important to me and a good arguement to convince one's doctor.

Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Laurie on March 30, 2019, 06:48:11 PM
  Kirsten, Additional breast growth would be nice, yes. But at my age 66 I will be thankful for any and all of the other benefits micronized progesterone might possibly bestow on me. They are far more important to me and a good arguement to convince one's doctor.

Laurie
I am interested in your take on progesterone Laurie. What would you like to gain from the medication ? Do you find it better for mood, feminisation, curvaceous figure ?

Yours with interest, Kirsten.

•  

Laurie

Hi Kirsten,

First off let me say that my reference comes from the Endocrine Society magazine article Progesterone Is 1)Important for Transgender Women's Therapy—Applying Evidence for the Benefits of Progesterone in Ciswomen
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/104/4/1181/5270376

I will let you read the information yourself. But the ones that interest are the possible cardiovascular possibilities, the possible cancer  risk lessening, and the bone mass help it may give. Since I have experienced cancer 3 times now and am supposed to be dead twice already, I will take any help I can get.  I have emphysema and atherosclerosis so I could use the possible cardio-vascular help. I also have been diagnosed wit osteopenia which is the start of osteoporosis,  so if it helps bone mass density I could use that also.  I hope that answers your question.

Hugs,
  Laurie

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Laurie on March 30, 2019, 11:00:29 PM
Hi Kirsten,

First off let me say that my reference comes from the Endocrine Society magazine article Progesterone Is 1)Important for Transgender Women's Therapy—Applying Evidence for the Benefits of Progesterone in Ciswomen
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/104/4/1181/5270376

I will let you read the information yourself. But the ones that interest are the possible cardiovascular possibilities, the possible cancer  risk lessening, and the bone mass help it may give. Since I have experienced cancer 3 times now and am supposed to be dead twice already, I will take any help I can get.  I have emphysema and atherosclerosis so I could use the possible cardio-vascular help. It also have been diagnosed wit osteopenia which is the start of osteoporosis  so if it helps bone mass density I could use that also.  I hope that answers your question.

Hugs,
  Laurie
It does thank you Laurie. Also I believe if a pre- menopause estrogen level is maintained then bone density is maintained.

Yours Kirsten

•  

Barri

I have been taking Micronized Progesterone for about 10 years (when I can get it)
I have tried the 10 day cycle thing and just taking it every day.  At time it has made me quite sleepy sometimes not.
Gone off all hrt several times due to funds, and since the Progesterone...have lactated every single time.
Last time I experienced a wayward duct that got clogged with thick milk and gave me what seems to be an upside down semi colon protruberance/pimple thing on one side.
My breasts are seemingly never going to really fill out, so I don't reflect the fuller development idea.
I DO feel more "normal" for lack of a better description when I take the Pro at least 10 days a month.
I sure hope your results are all you hope for.
Barri
Born 1963
Knew I should be female 1972
Grew 18" in single year 1978
Resigned to self that I never will pass regardless, and will always and forever just be seen as a giant dude, but will pursue femme self ID anyway.
started HRT 2002 DIY
Prescribed legitimately 2012
Just going to be me.
  •