Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What makes for the best bras?

Started by ChrissyRyan, January 16, 2024, 09:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

What do you think any advantages of a front closure bra are?

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Paulie

I always thought they were called Torpedo Bras.  Looks like Bullet Bra is the correct term and the results is Torpedo T**s.  I love the look of the 50's. I'm not sure how appealing the look would be now with the much larger waist lines then in the 50's.

Paulie
  •  

traciknight

For me it's sport bras. Easy on, easy off, a little bit of padding, as I'm probably about a B cup. I just find them sooooooo comfortable.
Traci M Knight

•  

ChrissyRyan

I really do not like the look of the bullet bras.  I have not tried one on, and actually never seen one at Kohl's but I have also not looked for any.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

D'Amalie

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 20, 2024, 02:03:13 PMLOL.

Chrissy

Okay, okay, okaaay!  Calibre matters!  What a Derringer round! 
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

D'Amalie

I love this discussion!  Thanks, ladies!  Your mileage may vary, but my take is this on the front close question.

For me, once I find a manufacturer I like with the sizing sorted for my body type, front close is the best. A front close lies smoother on the back, yet supports my C's very sell.  I use the Glamorise front clip style.  So easy to put on and the underwire is very defining and comfy.  I've damaged shoulders and limited range of motion and flexibility, so front clips are a clever choice for me.  Besides, doesn't one feel strange hooking a standard bra then spinning it around to bring the cups around to front position?  I sure do!  A fiddle to get the final settlement too, where the tag tends to never wind up under the bra smoothly and Merde! what a chore to adjust the band to the smooth silhouette.

Have you tried the multi-hook front style?  Oh! What a dissapointment.  The gore never sits right, Can't stand the industrial strength feel of them and its not pretty! No matter what you tell me!?  :icon_userfriendly: 

As for the bullet?  NOT comfy at all.  The cups shaping feels either too tight or too sloppy as it tries to squeeze my boobs into a point, to fill cups.  I've an intense dislike for unfilled cups.  Jane Russell I'm not, and Howard Hughes isn't my boyfriend.  (Did I loose anyof you on that one?)  Sure I could use cheaters, but that's...um...cheating.  Cups must fit properly or that bra finds itself at the Salvation Army store.  Once I've put something on at home, it's mine I won't take it back.  Anyone else feel that way? 

End state is:  Pretty, front clip underwire is the ticket  :icon_love: I'm alowed to be opinionated, my wife says i can.

[/quote]
Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 17, 2024, 07:11:23 AMI have not tried a front closing bra.  Maybe I should.

Chrissy
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

D'Amalie

I forgot to say, one needs the national budget of a small o>-bleeped-<ry to get really really good long lasting undergarmetnts these days, no?  Like with food, you can eat for health or you can eat cheaply.  You can't do both.  Bras are the same.  Go cheap and they won't last, even hand washed.

•  

D'Amalie

One more thing!  Has anyone the secret to keeping white cotton whites bright white after a few months?  They always seem to turn dingy.  Momm said I can machine wash as long as I line dry.

Hand wash is so dreary and I'm so lazy about the wash! Maybe another topic, Susan?
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 23, 2024, 05:05:03 PMI forgot to say, one needs the national budget of a small o>-bleeped-<ry to get really really good long lasting undergarmetnts these days, no?  Like with food, you can eat for health or you can eat cheaply.  You can't do both.  Bras are the same.  Go cheap and they won't last, even hand washed.

Oh I am with you 100% on getting higher quality.  I also rotate through my bras and air dry all of them.  I do put them through the clothes washer though. 

Chrissy
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 23, 2024, 05:09:06 PMOne more thing!  Has anyone the secret to keeping white cotton whites bright white after a few months?  They always seem to turn dingy.  Momm said I can machine wash as long as I line dry.

Hand wash is so dreary and I'm so lazy about the wash! Maybe another topic, Susan?

Do you have a lot of iron in your water?  If so, get a water filter or use some Iron Out powder in your wash.  The powder may help with even municipal tap water.  Use cold water, and the delicate cycle, and see what happens.  Wash bras separately from other clothes.  If I think of anything else that may help, I will write more.  I do not add fabric softeners or anything scented to my wash.

Chrissy
  •  

D'Amalie

Good thoughts, Chrissy.  Machine wash on delicate, cold, light on the detergent and no softener in wash loads or dryer.  Not that I put my bras in the dryer!  I don't!  No bleach either in wash loads with elastisized fabrics. Our water comes out of the Rockies, naturally mineral rich. So we do have hard water, yet I've avoided a softener system due to the ongoing maintenance such systems require. 

Mom said perhaps add table salt to the wash?  Does that make sense to you?  At 94, she's not as sharp as she used to be although I've never known her to be wrong about ANY household chore, EVER.  I get that salt will help preserve colors if you use it especially early in their life span.  Just never though it'd do anything for whites.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 23, 2024, 05:01:35 PMI love this discussion!  Thanks, ladies!  Your mileage may vary, but my take is this on the front close question.

For me, once I find a manufacturer I like with the sizing sorted for my body type, front close is the best. A front close lies smoother on the back, yet supports my C's very sell.  I use the Glamorise front clip style.  So easy to put on and the underwire is very defining and comfy.  I've damaged shoulders and limited range of motion and flexibility, so front clips are a clever choice for me.  Besides, doesn't one feel strange hooking a standard bra then spinning it around to bring the cups around to front position?  I sure do!  A fiddle to get the final settlement too, where the tag tends to never wind up under the bra smoothly and Merde! what a chore to adjust the band to the smooth silhouette.

Have you tried the multi-hook front style?  Oh! What a dissapointment.  The gore never sits right, Can't stand the industrial strength feel of them and its not pretty! No matter what you tell me!?  :icon_userfriendly: 

As for the bullet?  NOT comfy at all.  The cups shaping feels either too tight or too sloppy as it tries to squeeze my boobs into a point, to fill cups.  I've an intense dislike for unfilled cups.  Jane Russell I'm not, and Howard Hughes isn't my boyfriend.  (Did I loose anyof you on that one?)  Sure I could use cheaters, but that's...um...cheating.  Cups must fit properly or that bra finds itself at the Salvation Army store.  Once I've put something on at home, it's mine I won't take it back.  Anyone else feel that way? 

End state is:  Pretty, front clip underwire is the ticket  :icon_love: I'm alowed to be opinionated, my wife says i can.

I went to Kohl's to look at the front closing bras.  I found it interesting that there were various strap styles for them too.  I guess that makes sense.

I was surprised to see sliding plastic front connects rather than clasps in the front.
I actually was encased in the first one for about a minute until I figured out how to get it disconnected!  It did not want to disconnect.  It was a good connection!

I also tried for the first time a significantly padded push-up bra.  I mean there was a lot more than a very thin cushioning in the cup or a little lifting pad in the lower cups.  These were significant pads in the cup.

Well I tried it and must admit it made my boobs look rather big, impressive in a way.
This must be what I would look like if a true D cup.  However I decided this would draw too much attention to my body for sure plus I knew it was fakey, so that was it for that bra.

In the end I decided to not get any of these bras but will keep them in mind.
I have enough bras to rotate through regardless, plus they are not inexpensive.

I will look for the ones with the clip style you suggested D'Amalie, perhaps it will be an online purchase or I can take a more thorough look at the store.

Chrissy
  •  

D'Amalie

I just noticed my typos in the post.  It's alright.  They don't pay me to type.

Back to the bras, I only have the single push-up bra and I love the feel.  Very soft inside.  The subtle strain on my blouses is devine.  Wow cleavage!  But for every day do you find that the cheaper ones, like from walmart are suffcient?  My wife buys hers ar Walmart or Target, I refuse.  Hers wear out so quickly.

Do you have trouble keeping staps in place?  The racer back front clip stops that.
  •  

D'Amalie

By the by, stretchy size 20S Jeans at Torrids.  The best!  Size 3 cotton spaghetti strap camis in colors, vary by season!  Over my bras. Perfect anti-nipple show devices  :-X  I like my nipples make no mistake, just don't need to show them to the world, especially in the office! 

Mom would be proud, my wife surely is.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 26, 2024, 04:47:58 PMI just noticed my typos in the post.  It's alright.  They don't pay me to type.

Back to the bras, I only have the single push-up bra and I love the feel.  Very soft inside.  The subtle strain on my blouses is devine.  Wow cleavage!  But for every day do you find that the cheaper ones, like from walmart are suffcient?  My wife buys hers ar Walmart or Target, I refuse.  Hers wear out so quickly.

Do you have trouble keeping staps in place?  The racer back front clip stops that.

A lot of times I have needed to slide back the straps.  With a bralette that had thicker straps like a tank top, there has been no slippage.

Before I finally got a good fit after I developed more, I did get cheaper bras. They did not last long and they did not feel all that comfy.

Insofar as what my true size was, at those times that was from the most current purchase back then, not from a good fit.  When I thought I was a B cup I was truly just an A  cup. 

In reality today I am a B but there seems to be a little more room in one bra, so maybe I am a B minus!  LOL.  Then again, it does feel good filling them up and for it to be comfortable. 

Chrissy
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 26, 2024, 04:33:48 PMI went to Kohl's to look at the front closing bras.  I found it interesting that there were various strap styles for them too.  I guess that makes sense.

I was surprised to see sliding plastic front connects rather than clasps in the front.
I actually was encased in the first one for about a minute until I figured out how to get it disconnected!  It did not want to disconnect.  It was a good connection!

Chrissy

In looking back at this first attempt with a front closing bra, it was sort of a funny experience.  With that first try on, I had trouble getting th bra off because it took me a little while to realize that I had to turn the plastic slide 90 degrees to lift it out of the other side of the front closure.  Just moving it up or down then out would not work.  I was momentarily stuck in the bra!  It seemed like a minute or longer but it maybe have been less time.

Silly me.

Chrissy
  •  

Paulie

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 27, 2024, 07:48:10 AMI had trouble getting th bra off because it took me a little while to realize that I had to turn the plastic slide 90 degrees to lift it out of the other side of the front closure.  Just moving it up or down then out would not work.  I was momentarily stuck in the bra!  It seemed like a minute or longer but it maybe have been less time.

Chrissy

I have a sports bra with that kind of front clip, it took me a bit to figure that out too. 

All the rest of my Bras are the standard rear hook and loop.  If they have 1 or 2 hooks, I can almost always get them hooked the first try.  Better than 90% of the time.  If I don't get it on the first try then it can take me 3 of 4 try's, I don't know why that is.  I do have some bustiers with 7 hooks.  Those I need to put on backwards and then spin around.

Paulie
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Paulie on January 28, 2024, 01:03:06 AMI have a sports bra with that kind of front clip, it took me a bit to figure that out too. 

All the rest of my Bras are the standard rear hook and loop.  If they have 1 or 2 hooks, I can almost always get them hooked the first try.  Better than 90% of the time.  If I don't get it on the first try then it can take me 3 of 4 try's, I don't know why that is.  I do have some bustiers with 7 hooks.  Those I need to put on backwards and then spin around.

Paulie

I do not seem to have any trouble with the back clasps, they have all been two or three hook styles.  I do find the razor back style a bit harder for me to put on so I never bought one.  I suppose I would get used to them though and the straps would be harder to slip. 

Chrissy
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Three front closing bras arrived this evening but I have not tried them on.  It's been a busy day and I am settled in bed.  I have a nice warm floral, nearly ankle length nightgown to keep me warm and cozy. 

I remember the days when I just could not wait to try them on but wearing them regularly for awhile now I guess has subdued this anticipatory rush.

Maybe one of these will work out, I will see tomorrow.  I tried some on last week but I did not care for any of those front closing bras.

Chrissy
  •  

Paulie

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 29, 2024, 10:07:52 PMI remember the days when I just could not wait to try them on but wearing them regularly for awhile now I guess has subdued this anticipatory rush.

Same here Chrissy, I now wait til bedtime or the following morning to try most new things on.

Pauline.
  •