Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

"I can read you like a book"

Started by sd, February 09, 2008, 05:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd

While writing today I remembered something from my past and I am curious if any of you experienced the same since we seem to have so many other similarities.

Through high school and maybe a bit after, women/young women would always tell me they could read me like a book and always said that I was a simple guy to understand (if they only knew). While women seemed to read me like a book, they could not nail down the other guys. I find this odd considering how we seem to be so muted in our emotions compared to other people.

Did any of you experience similar?
  •  

RebeccaFog

I'll have to think about it.  I don't really think anyone ever understood me.
  •  

Jaimey

hmm...I have a pretty good mask, but there are some people who can read me.  I am pretty simple minded though.  And when I speak I am very direct and blunt.  You're definitely right about all of us having similar personality traits.  I think that simple mindedness falls well into the "childlike" category that a lot of us identify with.

The big question I have now is, "are these traits hard wired along with our gender identity or do we develop them because of social interractions and reactions that come from our gender identity?"
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

sd

Quote from: Jaimey on February 10, 2008, 12:40:03 AM
hmm...I have a pretty good mask, but there are some people who can read me.  I am pretty simple minded though.  And when I speak I am very direct and blunt.  You're definitely right about all of us having similar personality traits.  I think that simple mindedness falls well into the "childlike" category that a lot of us identify with.

Interesting.

Especially when you consider that I started puberty late. High school would have been the early to mid stages of it for me while others around me were well on their way.
  •  

Shana A

Quote from: sd on February 09, 2008, 05:54:28 PM
While writing today I remembered something from my past and I am curious if any of you experienced the same since we seem to have so many other similarities.

Through high school and maybe a bit after, women/young women would always tell me they could read me like a book and always said that I was a simple guy to understand (if they only knew). While women seemed to read me like a book, they could not nail down the other guys. I find this odd considering how we seem to be so muted in our emotions compared to other people.

Did any of you experience similar?

I've always related better to women, and am often told things that they wouldn't tell a guy. They've always said I wasn't like other men, and treated me like a sister. It's experiences like this, among other things, that led me to think that I was TS.

y2g
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Simone Louise

I, too, have related better with females, though most people find me weird--either weird and lovable or weird and contemptible. I am simple, almost simple enough for me to understand myself. As for the mask, I found I could lie pretty well. The most successful way to lie is to tell the truth in such a way that no one believes you.

Puberty? I started shaving at 14, a little. I got married at age 22, when I learned to kiss and have sex. That marriage ended after 24 years, amicably, though. I remarried 4 months later, almost 20 years ago, but I've told that story elsewhere.

Simone
Choose life.
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: y2gender on February 10, 2008, 09:11:54 AM
I've always related better to women, and am often told things that they wouldn't tell a guy. They've always said I wasn't like other men, and treated me like a sister.
y2g

Switch the women with men and vice versa and that's me!  I have been told things by guys that I never really needed (or wanted) to know and I've never had a problem being one of the guys.  Put me with a group of girls and I'm ridiculously awkward. 

Quote from: sd on February 10, 2008, 04:00:55 AM
Interesting.

Especially when you consider that I started puberty late. High school would have been the early to mid stages of it for me while others around me were well on their way.

Really?  I think I've grown a whole inch since 6th grade.  Actually, that is one factor that I think could be an emotional reaction that has caused me to remain childlike.  When you're practically grown by the time you're 12, people push you to act grown up too and I think I missed out a bit on being a kid.  But then again, I think a lot of the childlike characteristics are hardwired because so many of us have them.  It's pretty fascinating (at least to me!).  :D

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

RebeccaFog

I had an average physical puberty, but mental and emotional didn't happen until I was in my 20's.  I think it's passed now.   :laugh:
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: Rebis on February 12, 2008, 10:02:26 AM

I had an average physical puberty, but mental and emotional didn't happen until I was in my 20's.  I think it's passed now.   :laugh:

Me too...

•  

Kir

Everyone always used to say they could read me like a book. Course, at that time I was actually completely hiding everything and they were totally wrong. It wasn't gender/sexuality related, I was just really really depressed (almost did something really stupid too). So what they thought they were reading was just my mask. At the time I took it as a compliment to my abilities to hide my true emotions.

Anymore I don't tend to hide things too much. And now they don't tell me I'm easy to read, they just tell me their life story instead.
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: Kir on February 15, 2008, 04:23:40 PM
So what they thought they were reading was just my mask. At the time I took it as a compliment to my abilities to hide my true emotions.

Wow.  I was just like that.

•  

Pica Pica

anyone who knows me knows it is a bit more complicated.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

VeryGnawty

Maybe it's because my lack of gender identity, my high IQ, or both:

But people misread every single thing that I do.  They always ask me why I'm depressed.  The only time they don't ask me why I'm depressed, is when I'm actually depressed.  People take my jokes seriously.  And when I'm being serious, they think I'm joking.  I can reveal enlightened truths to the universe and people grunt, yet I make an observation that they put too much butter on their toast and they think I'm Buddha.

If people can read me like a book, and they claim to, I should probably start informing them that I am written in a different language.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

tekla

I can reveal enlightened truths to the universe ... dealing perhaps with your legendary sense of modesty?
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

buttercup

Yep, people can read me like a book, that's why I'm crap at poker.  ;D
  •  

tekla

I've always thought it was a good thing.  Speak plain and from the heart, make sure that people know you mean what you say, and say what you mean.
  •  

sd

Tekla, I can counter with just one simple line...

"Honey, does this make my butt look big?"
  •  

Nero

It's called 'women's intuition'. Females know things other genders don't. This is why a female can see right through an ftm. Women KNOW when you're not one of them. They may not be able to put their finger on it, but they sense it, that I'm an outsider, a wolf in sheep's clothing and boy did they ever make me pay for it.

My guess would be that they sense when a supposed 'male' belongs to their group. (think perhaps androgynees belong to both groups)
They sense you're a lamb in wolves' clothing.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

RebeccaFog

Quote from: tekla on February 18, 2008, 11:44:22 PM
I can reveal enlightened truths to the universe ... dealing perhaps with your legendary sense of modesty?
careful there you.  We androgynes are connected directly to the heart of God.
  •  

tekla

Would not the heart of god tell you that you should be plain and humble, and that you are a part of the universe, no better or worse than any other part?

And I go shopping with girls (not my GF) and tell them the truth, as they are quick to tell me also.  It don't even take words, just a glance.
  •