Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

"I can read you like a book"

Started by sd, February 09, 2008, 05:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seshatneferw

Of course, we can't agree on which God that is.

Nfr
Whoopee! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but it's a long one for me.
-- Pete Conrad, Apollo XII
  •  

Kir

Quote from: VeryGnawty on February 18, 2008, 11:30:03 PM
If people can read me like a book, and they claim to, I should probably start informing them that I am written in a different language.

I like that.
  •  

tekla

Well of course - I mean Jesus H. Christ on a Motherf***ing crutch, my god.  Yeesh, is not the basic premise, the raison d'etre of all (or almost all) religions that "OUR GOD IS RED HOT, YOUR GOD AIN"T DOODLEY SQUAT!

There is a Charlie Danial's Band song called "My God is an Awesome God."  Like what, there are un-awesome gods?  Is not 'awesome' a huge part of the whole god deal in the first place?  Is there a mediocre god? (& where can I find that one, seem like a perfect god for me.)

I aways tell people "Gee, I would love to meet your god, where is it?"  And they say "He is invisible, but speaks to me in my heart."  And no offense, but that begins to sound like David Berkowitz, Son of Sam, and the dog (which is god spelled backwards) next door.

And tekla slowly steps back.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Kir

Quote from: tekla on February 19, 2008, 12:31:57 PM
Well of course - I mean Jesus H. Christ on a Motherf***ing crutch, my god.  Yeesh, is not the basic premise, the raison d'etre of all (or almost all) religions that "OUR GOD IS RED HOT, YOUR GOD AIN"T DOODLEY SQUAT!

There is a Charlie Danial's Band song called "My God is an Awesome God."  Like what, there are un-awesome gods?  Is not 'awesome' a huge part of the whole god deal in the first place?  Is there a mediocre god? (& where can I find that one, seem like a perfect god for me.)

I aways tell people "Gee, I would love to meet your god, where is it?"  And they say "He is invisible, but speaks to me in my heart."  And no offense, but that begins to sound like David Berkowitz, Son of Sam, and the dog (which is god spelled backwards) next door.

And tekla slowly steps back.

Go for paganism. There are all sorts of different types of paganism. If you have lots of gods in your belief system, then yeah you can have mediocre gods. Heck, some of them can be rather pathetic even! So if you went for a system that believes in TONS of gods, you could worship the god that is in charge of my sister's kitchen, and then you could be worshiping a god that is more pathetic than... uh... I dunno.
  •  

tekla

Thank you, that's funny.  Then again, my sister can only make reservations for dinner.

But I like the idea of a mediocre god.  Then Journey can be my favorite rock band, and I can think that Reader's Digest is the hight of Literature.  After all, who whats to read the unabridged version of Robinson Crusoe?  God, you're only half-way through that book and you feel like your on that damn island with him.  How much better to read:  "He was shipwrecked, lived for a while alone, and was rescued."  I'm off that island in no time.
  •  

Pica Pica

My God is an Underwhelming God. He once turned wine into water, but give him the ingredients and he makes a mean tuna sandwich.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Kir

This is completely off-topic... but Pica, I love your picture.
  •  

tekla

Hiis/her pic is OK, the answer: spot on.
  •  

Pica Pica

cheers, i was playing Macready in loot
  •  

tekla

Well time to write a hymn then:

My god is an underwhelming god
Creation he is not
I thought he created the world
in then end, he did not
  •  

Pica Pica

My God is an underwhelming God
Creation he is not
He may not send forth plagues of rats
But does an ace dry rot.
  •  

Kir

Our god, who art in a shoebox
ignored be they name
thy boredom come
thy will be unknown
on the floor as it is in your shoebox
Give us this day our daily dust
and forgive those who might try and vacuum you up.
Lead us not into temptation,
or anywhere else for that matter.
For thine is the kingdom of dustbunnies
and the unimpressiveness,
for now, and maybe tomorrow too.
Achoo.
  •  

sd

Quote from: Kir on February 19, 2008, 02:27:08 PM
This is completely off-topic... but Pica, I love your picture.
You're worried about going off topic for an off topic discussion?
I think we lost the topic 2 or 3 topics ago.

You will get used to it. Good or bad, nothing stays on topic or serious for long here it seems.
  •  

Kir

Yeah old habits die hard. I've been banned from sooo many forums because I don't follow rules very well. I topic bounce a lot, I post a LOT (I am rather talkative). And once I got banned for calling a mod stupid (I shoulda called him a poopyhead instead).
  •  

Pica Pica

Hmmm well, I always appreciate going off topic, I'm not a fan of splitting them either...because a good conversation ebbs and flows in its own ways.

If anyone feels this should not be the case I could 'mod them good and proper', but it doesn't seem our way.
  •  

tekla

He can not fix a horse race,
not the Olympics is true
my god is a mediocre god
the god for me and you.

(Chorus) You're on your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My god can not rule the waves
Britannia does that well
My god does not give a >-bleeped-<
for >-bleeped-< it is in hell

Chorus

My god can not make Righteous
that which is evil to begin
if you want to go to hell
than you must cast that sin

Chorus

My god is mediocre
nothing much in which to believe
but you know my god
is way easy to deceive

Chorus - Chorus (refrain). 
  •  

sd

Quote from: Pica Pica on February 19, 2008, 03:46:35 PM
Hmmm well, I always appreciate going off topic, I'm not a fan of splitting them either...because a good conversation ebbs and flows in its own ways.

If anyone feels this should not be the case I could 'mod them good and proper', but it doesn't seem our way.

Unless it is a very serious topic, I am firm believer in letting it go where it may.
  •  

Pica Pica

I believe this topic started seriously, and can become serious again.
  •  

tekla

I'm not all that sure that the concept of a mediocre god is all that off topic.
  •  

Pica Pica

its a good idea, has to live somewhere.
My god would have created the world, but chance beat him to it.
  •