Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

"Carry letter"

Started by Annie Social, June 13, 2006, 08:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie Social

Since about my third week of therapy, I've had a "carry letter", a note on my therapist's letterhead stating that I am under her care, all privileges, etc. I was recently surprised to fnd that some girls (including a few that have been in transition for quite a while) have never heard of such a letter.

Do you have one? Have you ever had to use it?

Annie
  •  

Chaunte

I have one as well.  I see it as a CYA for myself.

Chaunte
  •  

tinkerbell

No, I never had one!!!    Is this something new therapists are doing now?
tinkerbell
  •  

Annie Social

I don't know if it's something new or not; mine has been seeing TG patients for 20 years, and I have the impression she's been providing such letters for some time. Just in case anyone is curious, mine reads as follows:

(Date)

Re: Ann Elizabeth Xxxxxxxx AKA Xxxx Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxx (legal name)
DOB: xx/xx/xxxx

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter verifies that the above named individual is in psychotherapy with me for gender reassignment from male to female. As part of the transition process, she is presenting as a female as required by the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association's Standards of Care for Gender Identity Disorders*.

In all instances, this individual should be accorded the consideration of her true gender, which is female.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding, and if you have any questions, please call me.

Sincerely yours,

(Signature)

(Name)

*The Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association's Standards of Care for Gender Identity Disorders is the definitive guideline followed by psychiatric, psychological, medical and surgical professionals who treat gender dysphoric individuals.
  •  

Kimberly

Quote from: Annie Social on June 13, 2006, 08:39:29 PM...
Do you have one?
No.

Quote from: Annie Social on June 13, 2006, 08:39:29 PM...
Have you ever had to use it?
No.

Mind you, it seems like a good idea.

But no, I have not run into a situation where I've needed something like that. ;) Yet anyway (=
  •  

tinkerbell

Hi Annie:
As soon as I read your first post on this issue, I emailed a friend of mine;  she says that these letters are given to patients who are just beginning to live fulltime as their chosen gender.  I don't know if this applies to you, but it sounds kind of right.
Thank you for anwering my question.
tinkerbell
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: tinkerbell on June 13, 2006, 11:16:33 PM
she says that these letters are given to patients who are just beginning to live fulltime as the role of the gender they identify themselves with.

That's what I thought and the reason I don't have one.  However, now that I know you can get them before going fulltime, I may just do that as I am living part time as female now.  I don't have anything that says I should be treated as female if something were to happen to me with the police.  Since I'm seeing my new therapist in a couple days, I'll be sure to ask him about that.

Melissa
  •  

LostInTime

I know a few who have carried one.

Since I had people trying to throw me out of the men's room prior to transition, I did not feel the need to have one myself.  The police seem to care less, on traffic stops.  An Ohio Trooper looked at my ID and then back at me and just stated that I look a lot different since I had the photo taken (I have since changed it).  Sometimes I get quizzed on the info, including the DL number and when the card expires so I have the entire DL memorised, including the positioning of the background pics.  Curiously enough this does not raise any alarm bells.
  •  

stephanie_craxford

There was a topic on this awhile ago, last year I think.  But no I don't carry one, and I haven't asked for one, never needed one.

Steph
  •  

Melissa

Stephanie, most people don't really need insurance when driving around, because they never get into an accident.  But, it's always nice to have "just in case".

Melissa
  •  

Elizabeth

Hello everyone,

I was reading some stuff that Dr. Harry Benjemin wrote back in 1965 I beleive.  He talked about writing such letters because back in the 60's it was illegal to dress as the opposite sex.  It was called "wearing a disguise".  However, after the arrest of someone carrying one of his letters, the police told him to stop or they would charge him with conspiracy, that he had no legal authority to give such letters, and even if he did, they carried no weight.  They also reminded him that he could be sued.  He said he immediately stopped writing such letters, and recinded all the ones he did write.

This is the first I have heard of such letters in more modern times and I would be curious if they in fact carry any legal weight or if they are just thier to calm us down about our anxiety about having to deal with authorities.  I have never changed my drivers licence photo, and have never been hassled by anyone, about using it.  I mean, if you have this letter and were arrested, would they take you to the woman's jail?  Certainly not in Texas.  In Texas you can not change you gender, even with SRS.  Thier law states that you are the gender of your chromosomes.

If anyone can shed any light on the legal implications of this, I for one would find it quite interesting.

Love always,
Elizabeth
  •  

Melissa

Elizabeth, I know in the city I work in, if you have one of these letters, but your birth genitals, you will be placed in a cell by yourself or with other TS women.  There is only as much legal weight as the particular region allows.

Melissa
  •  

Dennis

I have one but have never carried it. I'd be concerned that it could cause more problems than it fixes by outing me. The law here is that you use the washroom of your gender identity, so that's not an issue for me. I'm not planning on being arrested (not that you ever know 100% about that), so haven't looked into what difference that would make.

Dennis
  •  

taylor

I have never understood the point of these letters. I also believe that they can be more problematic then helpful.

There are states that still have it illegal to dress in other sex clothing as stated above considered equal to wearing a disguise. Modern times or not, states are not all up to date on a lot of things. In NC it is still legal to beat your wife on the courthouse steps on Sundays...go figure huh? Not that anyone could get away with it, I seriously doubt! But it remains legal and on the books.

I think too it may be that docs that have been involved with TS/IS people ofr 20 plus years tend to continue to give out letters because it is established in their method of practice. 

Just my thoughts about it.

Peace,
Taylor
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Melissa on June 14, 2006, 08:13:55 AM
Stephanie, most people don't really need insurance when driving around, because they never get into an accident.  But, it's always nice to have "just in case".

Melissa

Very true Melissa, I didn't say it was wrong I meant that our rights and freedoms as transsexuals are covered sufficiently enopugh in Ontario that one is normally not required.  However having said that yes it doesn't hurt to carry one.

Steph
  •  

Dennis

Quote from: Stephanie Craxford on June 14, 2006, 09:48:14 AM
Very true Melissa, I didn't say it was wrong I meant that our rights and freedoms as transsexuals are covered sufficiently enopugh in Ontario that one is normally not required.  However having said that yes it doesn't hurt to carry one.

Steph

Except, Steph, that it could out you when you don't intend it to. Imagine pulling stuff out of your purse and your carry letter drops on the counter at WalMart. Imagine losing your purse or your wallet with the letter in it and some stranger finding it and reading it.

Mine will stay in my filing cabinet as a quaint souvenir of times gone by.

Dennis
  •  

Sarah Louise

I got a "carry letter" when I first transitioned, but I just put it in my car glove box and never took it out.  I never needed it and finally just threw it in the file cabinet at home.

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: taylor on June 14, 2006, 09:40:11 AM
I have never understood the point of these letters. I also believe that they can be more problematic then helpful.

There are states that still have it illegal to dress in other sex clothing as stated above considered equal to wearing a disguise. Modern times or not, states are not all up to date on a lot of things. In NC it is still legal to beat your wife on the courthouse steps on Sundays...go figure huh? Not that anyone could get away with it, I seriously doubt! But it remains legal and on the books.

I think too it may be that docs that have been involved with TS/IS people ofr 20 plus years tend to continue to give out letters because it is established in their method of practice. 

Just my thoughts about it.

Peace,
Taylor

I'm inclined to agree Taylor.  I'll have to dig out the original topic that discussed this, however I feel that carry letters run along the same lines as identity papers minorities and the like were forced to carry to identify them as belonging to a certain group.  Not for me thanks.

Steph

P.S. I'll send you a PM on that other topic you mentioned.
  •  

Melissa

I think they're useful if your ID still has your birth gender marked on it.  Otherwise, I would suggest just using that.

Melissa
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Melissa on June 14, 2006, 11:20:43 AM
I think they're useful if your ID still has your birth gender marked on it.  Otherwise, I would suggest just using that.

Melissa

Very true.  But who is asking for all this ID, I know that some feel that the US is drifting the way of a police state.  There was a state in Euprope not so long ago where the fav saying of their police was "Papers please". 

Steph
  •