Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transgender related deaths and what it means to us.

Started by Feveth, June 22, 2005, 06:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feveth

I was looking into the Gwen Araujo case a while ago and I came across this webpage: http://www.gender.org/remember/about/core.html

If it's true that 1 transgender person is murdered per month, then what does that mean for us?

As of today, the US's population is 296,426,806. Take out the calculator.

296,426,806 people / 30,000 (relative figure) = 9881 (or so) transgender people in the US.

I'm 21 years old, so let's say I have 60 more years to live.

(12 months * 60 years)  = 720

This means that ~720 transpeople will be murdered in the next 60 years. Assuming the transgender population never rose above 9881, there would be a 13% chance of being murdered in the next 60 years just for being "out."

Pop. Source: http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html
  •  

Leigh

The figure of 30K is the low end estimate of post op women.

Quote296,426,806 people / 30,000 (relative figure) = 9881 (or so) transgender people in the US.

The actual number would be in the millions if you were to include all of the cd's, non op and pre op ts, dq's, dk's and anyone else who presents in public as the opposite gender.

•  

kitten

yes, Leigh is quite right ... i have seen estimates varying from 1:30,000 to 1:5, with the more credible sounding arguments positing somewhere in the range 1:250 to 1:3000 so the number could get a lot larger quite easily, especially if you reject the Gender Binary altogether, and use a Gender Spectrum, where almost nobody would be at the extreme ends, so the threshold for your numbers could be quite arbitrary.

however, the 1-a-month figure is almost certainly way too low; i *know* of cases here where i live which were written off as "Suicide by depressed homosexual tranvestite prostitute drug addicts" even though the evidence is startlingly obviously otherwise.  To reach a truer figure take the instances of all deaths by queers and apply the same percentages for types of death that apply to other unpopular minorities, and the number will soar.

i would be unsurprised if the truer figures were at least dozens per month, although i admit that this is pure speculation; gut feel only.
  •  

alleigh

I think if I started going out more I would brush up on my self-defense.  And look into concealed weapon permit, if you are unfortunate enough to live in a Red state they are far too easy to get  >:D
  •  

Leigh

I see it as being blessed to live in one of the RED freedom states vs a blue religion controlled state.

Leigh
  •  

Terri-Gene

QuoteThis means that ~720 transpeople will be murdered in the next 60 years. Assuming the transgender population never rose above 9881, there would be a 13% chance of being murdered in the next 60 years just for being "out."

uh hu .... you want some scary information, try checking out national statistics on violence to Women, ranging from beatings, Rape and Death .... something like more then a million a year, or maybe 3 million, I forget, it's been a couple of years since I went through all the statistics by race, gender, orientation etc, over arguments about how dangerous it is to be transgender, just for being women.  By the way, it is also more dangerous to be gay then it is to be transgender by statistics.  Worry about it or keep it in mind but I wouldn't dwell on it all that much, statistically your safer then a lot of other discriminated against peoples.

As to self defense and weapons, I believe in self defense and realistically have little to worry about in that respect, but weapons are a highly personal issue with me and I won't carry one or own one anymore, If I needed it I probably would hisitate just a second to long to use it.  Just hope I never need one again.

Terri

•  

LostInTime

There will always be those out there who choose to hate and kill on whatever defining characteristic allows them to do what they do.  Skin colour, gender, gender appearance, shoes, money, drugs....

There are things that you can do to protect yourself such as go out with friends, avoid the killing zone of 11pm to 3am (mostly around clubs/bars), keep a cell phone with you at all times (especially when you are asleep in your bedroom), have a home alarm system (I had one even in a place I rented), stay to well lit places, be aware of your surroundings (keep your eyes up and active), and (if you are comfortable with it) carry a sidearm.  Pepper sprays are junk and the good stuff has been banned in many places.  I used to carry OC-10 as a first line of defense since it would keep me out of a grand jury whether I ended up shooting the attacker or not.

If you start getting harassing phone calls, threats, etc be sure to get Caller ID, note any vehicles that appear to be following you, and log whatever details you can.  In order to get a restraining order, you will need to show that there is a certain level of stalking going on and that will vary state by state (and country by country).  Just remember that ultimately that paper will not protect you, just give you additional legal recourse.  Scary info, about 1 in every 20 women will be stalked at some point in their lifetime.

Yes, martial arts can be great but just remember that if you advance so far then it can be used against you in the courtroom.  I have seen it before and it will happen again.  If you carry, do not get into a fist fight, no matter how good you think you are in the martial arts.  Maintaining control and possesion of the sidearm is first and foremost.

YMMV.  However, I do urge everyone into researching ways to keep yourself safe.  I never expected to deal with a dangerous lunatic in an upscale area but life is full of surprises.
  •  

Cassandra

Good Advice LostInTime.

Whatever method of self defense you use, the courts are kind of crazy. We live in an atmosphere of blame the victim. As long as that prevails cautoin is the byword.

Cassie
  •  

Shelley

QuoteWe live in an atmosphere of blame the victim.

I think your right Cassie,

If you ask the question of why the act of self defense was undertaken in the first place you would find the real culperate I think.

Shelley
  •  

Elven

Please be careful if arming yourself.  In the US 1 in 5 police officers who are killed are done so with their own guns after an assailant gained control of the weapon.  You may just be arming your attacker if you arent properly trained.
Kristina
  •  

Shelley

It's really a sign of civilisation gone west when you feel the need to arm yourself for protection and a worse sign when the weapons you chose to arm yourself with can be easily used against you without much thought by your attacker.

I know we are beyond the point where we can leave our doors unlocked with impunity but to have to arm ourselves really is a sad inditement on society isn't it.

Shelley
  •  

Teri Anne

I sometimes wonder if TS suicides could be lessened if the docs didn't insist on calling TS a mental disorder.  I realize that the real reason they make us go through the hoops is to (1) prove to themselves and us that we're serious (before allowing operations) and (2) to avoid lawsuits.  As a post op (1999),I think the process made me far more introspective.  Some, I realize, feel introspection is good...ie. "an unexamined life" isn't really living.  Nevertheless, I know from the process of growing up male, that males are taught to be sure and certain.  Women, contrarily, seem to (in the old days anyway) be raised to worry and question.  I try, from time to time, to remember my upbringing - to question myself less - and this makes the "get a life" attitude far more possible.  The happiest TS's, I think, are those that can stop all the internal pondering and develop interests in the world and nature that surrounds us.  Remember the story of the centepede that walks fine until it is asked how he walks without tripping?  I can't say that I'll ever stop, from time to time, overdoing internal pondering about my being TS.  Maybe it's like being black in a bigotted society.  Maybe it's something that will never go away.  I do think that TS's transitioning when they're in their teens and early twenties will have far less problems - they will, to society, look and sound like their internal genders.  I envy them and, at the same time, am happy for them.  Wow, if there had only been a website like this when I was in my teens!
  •  

Dennis

QuoteThe happiest TS's, I think, are those that can stop all the internal pondering and develop interests in the world and nature that surrounds us.

You are so right there, Teri. Being TS is an important part of ones self, but if you can reach out and find what makes others unique people, you can see so much more of yourself and others.

Dennis
  •  

DawnL

Quote from: Teri Anne on December 17, 2005, 03:07:04 AM
...The happiest TS's, I think, are those that can stop all the internal pondering and develop interests in the world and nature that surrounds us.

...I can't say that I'll ever stop, from time to time, overdoing internal pondering about my being TS.  Maybe it's like being black in a bigotted society.  Maybe it's something that will never go away. 

The pondering has to be a fundamental part of being TS.  Does anyone transition without a huge amount of self-examination?  I hope not.  I do agree that it would be nice to put the pondering in its place along with all the other things I ponder but is that possible?  I tend to over-examine things anyway so it's probably a lost cause.  Your analogy about being black in a bigoted society is at least partly true: many mtfs go from a world of white male privilege to join one of the most marginalized and misunderstood groups in an eye-blink.  Talk about a fall from grace.  I think that would any conscious person plenty of pause.

Dawn
  •  

Cassandra

QuoteDoes anyone transition without a huge amount of self-examination?  I hope not.  I do agree that it would be nice to put the pondering in its place

So true Dawn. Transitioning is a life changing event. For those who are truly TS it is the cure for those who just think they are it is the disease. There has to be a certain amount of intorspection for ones own well being. However there is a point were introspection just becomes a hinderance to forward emotional prgress. Paralysis by analysis was the catch phrase in the 80's. Too much introspection can become a bad thing, but does not negate the positive aspects if not taken too far.

Cassie
  •  

Phoenix

i would trnasititon because im sort of young....no where to start....

i hope we do have a future where everyone can be what they want
  •  

Sarah Louise

Amen to that Teri, if there had been any information available when I was young it would have been wonderful.

The heartaches and tension we faces as youth was bad enough, then you add this problem.  I am almost surprised I lived through that time.

Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

LostInTime

Quote from: Elven on December 17, 2005, 01:46:26 AM
Please be careful if arming yourself.  In the US 1 in 5 police officers who are killed are done so with their own guns after an assailant gained control of the weapon.  You may just be arming your attacker if you arent properly trained.
Kristina

Felonious officer deaths have been decreasing.  Officers are less likely to be shot in states that have 1) short waiting periods and 2) concealed carry permits (based on research that stretched into the mid to late 90s, could not find another that has been done since then). 

In 2004 there were 57 felonious officer deaths in 50 incidents.  This includes Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.  Out of those 57 there were 7 instances in which an officer did not maintain control of their firearm after engaging the suspects and were killed.  3 in la., 1 in NY, 1 in Il., 1 in In., 1 in Mo.
  •  

Teri Anne

Every time I hear of how violent things are in the U.S., I think of those television images of crowds of Iraqi Islamic males proudly (and angrily)holding their machine guns high up in the air...talk about warped societies.  Then there are the stories of Saudia Arabian males stoning women to DEATH for the horrible act of talking to a foreign non-Muslim male.

While any transsexual's death in America is cause for concern, horror and grief, at least it's not as bad as OVER THERE.

Teri Anne
  •  

Alexandra

Quote from: Teri Anne on March 04, 2006, 04:41:08 AM
While any transsexual's death in America is cause for concern, horror and grief, at least it's not as bad as OVER THERE.

which begs the question of what kind of death a TG person would get over there.

Are TG people even allowed in half way civilized muslim countries like Saudi Arabia?? Would anyone even WANT to be TG (M2F) in Saudia Arabia?
  •