Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

what do you see when you look at yourself in the mirror?

Started by Natasha, January 24, 2009, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natalie.ashlyne

Quote from: Christy Lee on January 15, 2018, 05:04:55 PM
I try not to look, to depressing

I hate shaving, i always try to leave it for awhile so i dont have to, until it gets too long and annoying
I used to be like that to but I would shave in the shower so I did not have to look in the mirror
  •  

AnnMarie2017

Mirrors and I have had a tempestuous relationship all of my life, long before I knew I was trans. I always, always, hated my reflection. For at least 40 years, I hated the sight of myself in the mirror. I didn't know it, but it was gender dysphoria. I know this, because, after coming out to myself, I was looking in the mirror one day and was astonished to realize that I loved what I saw. I knew I was looking at a woman; and I loved it.  :laugh: I don't pass; nevertheless, when I look in the mirror I see a woman. And I love it. I finally love who I am. :)
  •  

Shambles

- Jo / Joanna

Pre-HRT Trans-Fem
16th Nov 17 - Came out to myself
7th Jan 18 - Came out to wife
31st Jan 18 - Referred to GIC / might be seen in 2020
Oct 18 - Fully out at one job, part out at another
Nov 18 - Out to close family
  •  

SeptagonScars

I see my past mistakes of transitioning, self-inflicted pain, a lot of regret. I grunt at what to me looks like a man with feminine eyebrows, face stubble, a hairy chest and prosthetic breasts in a bra. I feel weird about it all, and sad, but not really dysphoric.

It feels more like a self-loving disconnect like I'm patiently waiting for my body to pick up the phone on the other end but all I get is a "the number you're calling is unavailable right now" and I just keep calling and leaving sweet, caring voice mail messages. Please call back soon, I need you. And it feels like a sad sigh of "oh what have I done to myself" without really wanting to dig into the true depth of that feeling, so it stays at a managable surface level.

Staring at my face I wonder how I can find my true self again by hiding it under makeup, and then I think about the irony in that thought. I used to take my femininity for granted and hate it. Now I love it but can't find it again. Then I wonder if I should shave my stubble or keep it, and if my eyebrows need trimming. Also gotta poke my acne.

I only partially recognise my own face. It both feels familiar and alien at the same time. Facing the mirror in my detransition has been difficult all along, and it continues to be. But it's still my face, and that in itself is a comfort. It's easier with what's below my neck, except from my chest, cause I do notice that my body shape looks unmistakenly feminine, and that's comforting.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

barbie

I see a lovely woman who I can fall in love with.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Devlyn

•  

HappyMoni

I see the new me with remnants of the old. I like the idea of seeing potential.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I see possibilities.  The future is ahead.   

I see myself as a positive attitude, loving woman and that will not change, no matter what image is reflected.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Jessica_Rose

When I look in the mirror I shake my head and smile. I am beginning to see the person I was meant to be, with only a few reminders of my past which taunt me from time to time. Once my hair gets a few inches longer and my electrolysis sessions taper off I think all that will be left is me -- a tall, happy, beautiful woman named Jessica.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Allison S

I see shame and fear. Guilt too... in my eyes. I just see strong emotions I built inside myself and bottled up. I see a person controlled by emotion. [emoji22]

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

V M

Someone who feels disappointed, deals with severe depression and anxiety and wrestles with suicidal ideation
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Michelle_P on August 10, 2016, 10:37:15 PM
I used to see a sad old man.  Now I see me, and he hardly ever shows up any more.

And now, over two years later, I am occasionally startled by that strange woman in my apartment that I glimpse out of the corner of my eye, before I realize that was just my reflection in the mirror, a cute older woman who lives in my apartment and sleeps in my bed.

None of the mirrors are covered these days.  I feel essentially complete, just tidying up the corners at the end of my medical and social transition.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

MeTony

I see a guy. I have always seen a guy. I used to hate mirrors because I was trying to be a woman. But that guy kept staring back at me. I don't hate mirrors anymore.

Tony
  •  

Cindy

A large hole in my neck that I have to keep putting forceps down to remove stuff that would stop me breathing.
  •  

barbie

I see an aged woman who lavishes money on her hair  ;D

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: barbie on November 26, 2018, 05:17:18 AM
I see an aged woman who lavishes money on her hair  ;D

Looking at that photo I only see an attractive young woman-- who may or may not be lavishing money on her hair.

As for myself, I don't trust the mirror, but I just try to do my best. Photos are more revealing than mirror images of yourself. I think it's because they allow you to easily compare your appearance with that of others. I don't pose for photos very often.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Kylo

I can't tell if I look young or older in it. I don't know if I feel young or old anyway. Mirrors don't seem to show me much. They belie nothing of what's behind the eyes. It shows only the superficial and I don't even know how I relate to what I see.

Doesn't matter to me anyway. Life is lived in the mind. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Lyric on November 26, 2018, 11:30:03 AM
Looking at that photo I only see an attractive young woman-- who may or may not be lavishing money on her hair.

As for myself, I don't trust the mirror, but I just try to do my best. Photos are more revealing than mirror images of yourself. I think it's because they allow you to easily compare your appearance with that of others. I don't pose for photos very often.

Lyric. Yes. Photos reveal my objective images better than the mirror.

I have a large mirror at my room together with the one of the vanity table.

A mirror is a must for crossdressers?

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: barbie on November 28, 2018, 01:04:17 AM
I have a large mirror at my room together with the one of the vanity table.

It's 3x Barbie! You have an extraordinarily neat makeup vanity there. I used to have an almost wall width mirrored sliding closet door in my bedroom. It was very handy for checking the whole look in the morning.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •