Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How supportive is your family?

Started by Andrew, August 18, 2006, 05:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How supportive is your family of your transgendered identity?

Everyone I've told (with the exception of the people on this board or the internet) does not support my decision
7 (7.5%)
Only one family member is completely supportive
3 (3.2%)
I have about three family members who support me in my decision--the rest don't like it
8 (8.6%)
Most of my family members have mixed feelings about the whole thing
12 (12.9%)
I haven't told anyone yet!
10 (10.8%)
I've only told one or two people and they're supportive
11 (11.8%)
Everyone in my family completely supports me (lucky bitch!)
21 (22.6%)
My family does not support me, but my friends do
10 (10.8%)
I haven't told my family but I know they wouldn't support me
9 (9.7%)
Everyone I've told (with the exception of the people on this board or the internet) does not support my decision
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

ConfusedMichelle

I haven't told anyone because of fear.  :(   Fear of rejection and fear of abandonment. Something tells me in the back of my mind that either A. My family would accept me, over time.  B. They already know because I have hinted.

Hmmm
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Brady on December 22, 2006, 11:58:09 AM
I haven't told anyone because of fear.  :(   Fear of rejection and fear of abandonment. Something tells me in the back of my mind that either A. My family would accept me, over time.  B. They already know because I have hinted.

Hmmm
Hey man, just a quick note here. I hinted like crazy for years. My stepfather had guessed I'm sure, but my mother (to whom I had hinted and just outright told I'd been upset my whole life because I wasn't a man), all of these hints and she was still shocked when I told her. So, you can hint and hint, and they still may not know.
Probably because the general public is simply not even aware of the existence of FTMs.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Brady,
Don't let fear control you. Fear is always worse than doing the thing no mater how bad it is. For years fear has controled my every move and that wasn't living. I was dead to the world and myself.
Yes you need to decide if and when to tell your family / friends. And than figure out how and in what time frame and stick to it.
I know you can do it. Just stand up and be the man you are deep inside.
Jillieann/JR
  •  

ConfusedMichelle

Thanks Nero and Jillieann, yall are always such a big confidence booster  :)
  •  

Ricki

Brady my family is smallish but: on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the least supportive number...
Mom: 2
Sister: 2
Brother: 6 (but he's not reliable he's an alcholic-it's complicated)
aunts/uncles: 2 (most know very little)
cousins: 2-3 again most know very little of things..
I have some close friends i get better support and acceptance from
Ricki
  •  

jaded

since the last time i posted her my parents kicked me out so i know they arnt supportive
my brother doesnt want to see me any more .
my sister is tolerating other one is in deniel evryone else are ignoring me
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Oh Jade I'm so sorry to hear that you are being treated that way. Ouch I heart for you. :'( :'(
But do give your family time to adjust to this revelation. They are in shock and also hurting.  I know that doesn't make you feel any better but ..... I believe there love for you will over come the there gender phobia.
Continue to show your love for your family as much as you can. That I believe will help them to come around.
Hang in there Jade.
I know you can get thru it and remember you are not along.
:'( :'(
Jillieann/JR
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: jaded on December 24, 2006, 03:47:22 PM
since the last time i posted her my parents kicked me out so i know they arnt supportive
my brother doesnt want to see me any more .
my sister is tolerating other one is in deniel evryone else are ignoring me

Hi Jaded :)

I'm so sorry you are going through all this.  I agree with Jillieann, they are hurting very much, and sometimes when this happens, we tend to be very cruel with the persons we love the most.  May I ask where you are staying now?  How can I reach you?  is there a way you could PM?  you can also email me at tinkerbell@susans.org

Hang in there Jaded; we are all with you!

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

Ricki

Crap I'm sorry Jaded.. That's a mess....
Hope all is okay with you and you post so we know you are okay!
Ricki
  •  

LynnER

I changed my vote to my family does not support me....

They can keep there last name, they can keep there ignorance, biggitory, and cruelty....  Its clear that Im not welcome so when I leave thats it... Clean break...  Its really sad when people change there minds on you but *shrugs*  nothing I can say or do will make them change who they are so I'll just have to be the accepting one and leave....
  •  

Ricki

Lynner,
I know the feeling all to well..
My sister BROKE MY HEART.....
after my suicide when i was more set on keeping on trying than wanting to live she swore up and down and promised me the world she would love me no matter what and help me no matter what..
she said it dozens of times when she was with me and i was recuperating "NO_MATTER_WHAT_"--- no matter what ricky no matter what..... :icon_cry2:
I'm sad now.....
Well my how times change! It's not the right place maybe to get into it on this post but years later her husband basically sent me an email calling me a freak telling me to get my own help and not expose him or his wife or his kids to my devilish F'd up life-style.
Nice huh? and my mom wonders why i refer to him as the homophobic hunky! hah! :icon_chainsaw:
Seems like the cruel world we have to swim through gives us all to relevant stories of bad times we share in....
big hug
Ricki
  •  

Victoria L.

All I know is that my mom isn't very supportive, but I think it's because she's scared... and she really wanted me to be a  boy. :-\
  •  

nigno

My Mum and Dad are really good.. bro and sis say that they have looked up to me as older brother that they can't see me as anything else..
At least we are still talking about this although we try to ignore this point
  •  

Sharon S L

Not one of the answers to the poll suit my circumstances, So far the only people that don't support me are my Mum and Dad. My Sister, my uncle, our friends, and as far as I know other members of the family are supportive.
  •  

Ricki

I wish to amend my earlier one, most days they SUCK!
dearly
Me
ricki
  •  

mikke

I came out to my parents last night and they are being VERY supportive.  :) We're making plans now for coming out to the rest of the family.
  •  

beckster

They have all been really good, although to be honest I dont see most of my family that often !!
  •  

Cindi Jones

When I consider my wonderful family here... in the forum... I consider myself very lucky to have SOOOO much support.

;)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Cameron

My parents are very against it. They try and force me to buy girlish, figure showing clothing and try and remind me how cute of a little girl I was and how Feminine I will be one day! Ugh.

My friends, at last my better ones, support me. :3
  •  

rhonda13000

•